gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 02:58:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson not interested in reunion after all  (Read 12184 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 03:38:03 AM »

There used to be a documentary on Brian and the group on youtube (can't remember which one it was) and it had the most telling ending of Brian being unsure whether he'd like to get back together with the other guys or not. In this footage he doesn't seem to rule it out completely and he asks another person in the room, "What do you think?" and on comes "Do It Again". Best ending to a BW/BB documentary ever.

If I'm not mistaken that would be "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 05:49:56 AM »

There used to be a documentary on Brian and the group on youtube (can't remember which one it was) and it had the most telling ending of Brian being unsure whether he'd like to get back together with the other guys or not. In this footage he doesn't seem to rule it out completely and he asks another person in the room, "What do you think?" and on comes "Do It Again". Best ending to a BW/BB documentary ever.

You are correct.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 05:52:35 AM »

In fairness: Why is it assumed that it's the Beach Boys that necessarily NEED Brian??? No one that goes to their shows is mumbling "where's Brian???" (Or "where's Al," for that matter.) Their shows sell out -- or nearly -- consistently, venues love to book them. What do they NEED Brian to come back for??? From where I'm sitting, it's the Brian camp that needs "The Beach Boys." "Smile '04" was a long time ago, and the Brian Band albums aren't exactly changing the world -- Brian "needs" this more than Mike. Mike is set. Mike banks major coin every time he steps on stage. Does Brian with his 46-piece band playing 2,600 seaters???

50 years is a big one. Of all the stupid things the Beach Boys have done to undermine their career and reputation, turning their back on an obvious buck has never been one of them. And it won't be. Whether on stage, or not, plans ARE in the works to commemorate the 50th. All this talk about "NEED" -- these guys are unbelievably loaded, truly. As far as hurt feelings and making peace -- these guys have been humiliating and betraying each other since before there was even a BAND. Lawsuits??? These guys have a pretty thick skin.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 06:44:25 AM »

You are correct.

I guess I am pretty off key here, but I always interpreted Brian's response there as sarcasm towards the interviewer rather than asking for somebody elses opinion  Undecided As in he has just said he doesn't like Mike, so obviously he would not reuinite...?

Haven't watched it in a while though Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
oldsurferdude
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 07:23:14 AM »

In fairness: Why is it assumed that it's the Beach Boys that necessarily NEED Brian??? No one that goes to their shows is mumbling "where's Brian???" (Or "where's Al," for that matter.) Their shows sell out -- or nearly -- consistently, venues love to book them. What do they NEED Brian to come back for??? From where I'm sitting, it's the Brian camp that needs "The Beach Boys." "Smile '04" was a long time ago, and the Brian Band albums aren't exactly changing the world -- Brian "needs" this more than Mike. Mike is set. Mike banks major coin every time he steps on stage. Does Brian with his 46-piece band playing 2,600 seaters???

50 years is a big one. Of all the stupid things the Beach Boys have done to undermine their career and reputation, turning their back on an obvious buck has never been one of them. And it won't be. Whether on stage, or not, plans ARE in the works to commemorate the 50th. All this talk about "NEED" -- these guys are unbelievably loaded, truly. As far as hurt feelings and making peace -- these guys have been humiliating and betraying each other since before there was even a BAND. Lawsuits??? These guys have a pretty thick skin.
So, Mike sells perhaps more tickets than Brian(he does 2500 shows a year-he should)so you're saying on that basis they don't need Brian-but then you say they're all loaded, so who needs anybody or any reunion? Besides his incredible band Brian brings himself along with the credibility factor that Myk's oldies band lacks. No Wilsons (especially Brian) no Beach Boys.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »

What is this credibility crap? Mike & Bruce's band is credible. No more or no less than Brian's band. If are you going to state crap like that, then please do a player by player comparison and prove to me, and the rest of us, why Brian's bandmates are more credible than Mike's. Thank you.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 07:38:07 AM »

Last time I checked Mike Love WAS a "Wilson." Mike's band is very, very, good. Maybe it lacks the cutesy schtick and hair-do's -- but the band sounds great. And I think if you compare setlists, Brian's act falls into "oldies" territory as well, no??? I'm not knocking Brian's act, but let's all face facts about what's what.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 07:49:09 AM »

The only entity that needs this reunion is the hard core fans (us).   A reunion with a good positive publicity blitz would shine the light on the BB name and sell some records, but none of those guys "need" to reunite.   Maybe Al.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:39 AM »

To me, a reunion without Brian Wilson is not really a reunion. Al and Dave can join Mike and Bruce for a little mini get-together and that would be nice, but without a Wilson on stage, and the guy who wrote most of the hits and sang on some of them, it ain't really a Beach Boys reunion.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:05 AM »

Last time I checked Mike Love WAS a "Wilson." Mike's band is very, very, good. Maybe it lacks the cutesy schtick and hair-do's -- but the band sounds great. And I think if you compare setlists, Brian's act falls into "oldies" territory as well, no??? I'm not knocking Brian's act, but let's all face facts about what's what.

Howie, in my experience, here and on other MBs, the people who trot out the threadbare comments about Brian's band being better than Mike's are those who've not actually experienced M&B since 2004 or so. Back in 1991, I saw The Beach Boys (with Carl & Alan) in London. They sucked. Two years later, they were outstanding. Bands change, but Mike and Bruce will always get a kicking from a certain quarter simply because they are Mike & Bruce and not Brian.

Granted, Brian plays new material now and then, but on the whole, he goes down the GH route.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »

To me, a reunion without Brian Wilson is not really a reunion. Al and Dave can join Mike and Bruce for a little mini get-together and that would be nice, but without a Wilson on stage, and the guy who wrote most of the hits and sang on some of them, it ain't really a Beach Boys reunion.
I agree to a point, but in their 50 years Brian has spent very little time in their touring lineup. So the argument that who wrote the hits and sang lead on some them, really doesn't hold tight. We cannot do anything about Dennis and Carl, but having all of the surviving members on stage would definitely make it more special.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:18 AM »

I've never seen more than four official Beach Boys members on stage, so to see five official members would be very special. Haven't seen Al since '92, and I have never seen David live. So it would be special in so many ways. And to have the main songwriter and lyricist of the Beach Boys together on stage would be a thrill for me. BTW I also think the Mike & Bruce show musically is as good as Brian and Band.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:18:24 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 08:20:09 AM »

Thank you for saying that - Mike is a "Wilson" even without the surname - and, both bands are very  talented...but I don't get whoever  thinks they are grading "report cards" on musical talent and competency.  It is comparing apples and oranges.  

It is the "sum of the parts" when "taken as a whole" which make a band. It is how they work together on stage, and support each other, and that doesn't mean giving a fancy intro.  They are "in-sync!" (not lip sync) ("synch" comes up with spell check on smiley smile)

They attract different audiences for the most part...but you will find people who see both bands whenever possible.  

Que Sera Sera... Wink

oldsurferdude
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »

Something tells me that over the last 10 years or so(check this) Brian has "oldies" act has included Imagination, Smile, TLOS, but I could be wrong, you know.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:47 AM »

What is this credibility crap? Mike & Bruce's band is credible. No more or no less than Brian's band. If are you going to state crap like that, then please do a player by player comparison and prove to me, and the rest of us, why Brian's bandmates are more credible than Mike's. Thank you.
Not talking about bands-the credibility "crap" is Brian on stage-THAT'S your credibility, doc. No, no-please let me thank YOU.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 08:45:31 AM »

Something tells me that over the last 10 years or so(check this) Brian has "oldies" act has included Imagination, Smile, TLOS, but I could be wrong, you know.

I think that, at 37 years old when first performed, Smile probably qualifies as an 'oldie'.  Grin

Of course, Brian has performed new material (and I'm glad he has), but there's an excellent reason why, maybe one song excepted, Mike & Bruce haven't: they've not recorded any (as The Beach Boys), as the terms of the BRI license prohibits that.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »

Mike is a Beach Boy as much as Brian. If I recall correctly who sang lead on these hits- Surfin' USA, Fun, Fun, Fun, Shut Down, California Girls, Do It Again? Wasn't that Mike Love? I think it was! So, the question remains- what is not credible about Mike Love singing songs that he originally sang on records? I just want to understand, is all. And, "thank you very, very, very, very, very much...", as Carl would so very nicely say it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:55:17 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

I think that, at 37 years old when first performed, Smile probably qualifies as an 'oldie'.  Grin

Of course, Brian has performed new material (and I'm glad he has), but there's an excellent reason why, maybe one song excepted, Mike & Bruce haven't: they've not recorded any (as The Beach Boys), as the terms of the BRI license prohibits that.
Smile-a 2004 release that was written in 66-67-not a newie nor an oldie really-is there another term available??
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »

That ain't necessarily so...(I could not resist) - if it is a "themed" tour, yes, you are correct and half the show is a "similar" setlist. Exceptions might be "The Little Girl I Once Knew" which Brian does (and, yes, Boys I am waiting  Wink and Little St. Nick (one time in July - which was cool) but if it is a "Brian Wilson" show it is a very similar format.  

Brian does nearly every lead.  Mike "shares" the leads in a more traditional BB style.  Everyone has a chance to "shine" on the BB stage...that is the primary difference, despite the fact that Mike is both the un-controverted "front man/band leader" and Master of Ceremonies...

But, Brian's show is a "Brian" show...with "Beach Boys" music...and a some of his own individual work, including the endearing "Love and Mercy" at many of the "encores..."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »

Hey, Mike does 'Cool Head, Warm Heart". That's fairly new in context to the rest of the setlist.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »

Mike is a Beach Boy as much as Brian. If I recall correctly who sang lead on these hits- Surfin' USA, Fun, Fun, Fun, Shut Down, California Girls, Do It Again? Wasn't that Mike Love? I think it was! So, the question remains- what is not credible about Mike Love singing songs that he originally sang on records? I just want to understand, is all. And, "thank you very, very, very, very, very much...", as Carl would so very nicely say it.
As others here have noted, most of the songs that Mike sings all year long were written by the big guy himself-try comparing it to Gershwin if you want-George wrote the music that was performed by others. He's got the credibility-He'll go down in history. Same with BDW. It's not brain surgery, Doc.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »

Hey, Mike does 'Cool Head, Warm Heart". That's fairly new in context to the rest of the setlist.

Yes he does...and has off and on since it was released a few years ago on the Hallmark "Songs From Here and Back." I think it is a nice song and the live arrangement is very "tight" and supports the fact  that Mike is a pretty decent songwriter in his own right.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »

Well, I'm not buying it, old...dude! Yes, Brian will go down in history, but so will The Beach Boys. Your agrument is very, very weak, seriously!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »

Big bucks aside, surely the main point of the 50th anniversary reunion is to celebrate the Beach Boys 50 year legacy. To say thank you to the fans and the fans to say thank you to the band. To show that despite the heataches, tragedy, mental illness, falling outs and lawsuits, the music itself has made the ride worthwhile. If that doesn't mean enough to Brian to make even just one appearance with the group then any reunion is going to have a hollow ring to it. It has zero to do with who's touring band is the better one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:32:40 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »

Terrific post! After reading what you just said, I had to chucke that we fans act just like them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,