gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:17:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson not interested in reunion after all  (Read 12182 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

Can he make up his mind?

from http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2010/08/brian-wilson-not-interested-in-beach-boys-reunion-afterall/

Brian Wilson’s Beach Boys reunion flip-flopping continues full speed ahead. As the band’s 50th anniversary approaches Brian let Spinner know that reuniting with Mike Love , Bruce Johnston and Al Jardine for this occasion is not a priority for him.
Asked about the possibilities of a 50th anniversary gig he replied: “We don’t know yet,” . “I don’t think so, though.” Wilson then put a clear punctuation mark on his statement by adding, “I don’t really enjoy working with Mike and Bruce, y’know?” he explained. “It’s not my style to work with those guys.”

Read more: http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2010/08/brian-wilson-not-interested-in-beach-boys-reunion-afterall/#ixzz13ahJm6b9
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »

Can he make up his mind?
Brian Wilson’s Beach Boys reunion flip-flopping continues full speed ahead.

When did he say he wanted to do it?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »

Can he make up his mind?

Well, at the 2006 Capitol tower reunion he said, "I'd rather work with these guys than with anyone else in the world."
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

Brian is probably scared.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »

Brian is probably scared.

Of what, though? He's had twelve years on the road now. And he's performed with Al. Is it Mike the bogeyman again?
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »

I think the rooftop talk was just jabber. Now when push comes to shove, his heart is definitely not in it. His brothers are not there for Brian to bounce off of and he just doesn't want to deal with the bad vibes from both bands during the process to achieve the presentation. I don't blame him. Plus which, he feels that he has nothing to prove and rightly so.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »

I think the rooftop talk was just jabber. Now when push comes to shove, his heart is definitely not in it. His brothers are not there for Brian to bounce off of and he just doesn't want to deal with the bad vibes from both bands during the process to achieve the presentation. I don't blame him. Plus which, he feels that he has nothing to prove and rightly so.

But this is his life's work, since he was 18 years old. He should look at it as a celebration, not as a test.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »

Maybe so, but after all the hard feelings and lawsuits, well, that trumps celebrating anything. He's celebrating that he's ALIVE and is still delivering the goods, minus the other folks. And for peace at home.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 02:14:55 PM »

Well, it's obvious that the other guys need this reunion more than Brian. Ultimately, Melinda will decide, don't you think?
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »

Can he make up his mind?

Well, at the 2006 Capitol tower reunion he said, "I'd rather work with these guys than with anyone else in the world."

I don't think that he wanted to ruin the occasion by saying 'It's not my style to work with those guys'. Seriously, I don't get why people keep talking about a reunion that more than likely ain't gonna happen. Too much baggage involved.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

In case no-one else has noticed, the date on the article in question is over two months ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »

Hard to say what is jabber and what is genuine from Brian. I can say from first hand experience, having been in Brian's presence a dozen or more times in the last 30 years, that the Capitol Rooftop reunion was the most candid and relaxed I've ever seen Brian. That day his commentary was the most natural and least programmed or uptight sounding out of all the times I've heard him speak in person. I obviously don't claim to know what's in his heart...but he was definitely projecting good vibes that day.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »

Well, it's obvious that the other guys need this reunion more than Brian. Ultimately, Melinda will decide, don't you think?

Why would "they" need it more than Brian, "they" are the cash cows exposing the brand and legacy to many more thousands of listeners.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »

I think there are just too many memories. The only thing that could turn it the other way would mean a benefit for a charity
like the Carl Wilson Foundation

If it runs amuck, call the duck
oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 06:06:27 PM »

Maybe so, but after all the hard feelings and lawsuits, well, that trumps celebrating anything. He's celebrating that he's ALIVE and is still delivering the goods, minus the other folks. And for peace at home.
'Nuff said.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 06:47:51 PM »

But this is his life's work, since he was 18 years old. He should look at it as a celebration, not as a test.

Unfortunately, more often than not, Brian's work with the Beach Boys has been test after test.

I think Brian just wants to settle down, be done with fighting with the Beach Boys. He has a band that listens to him and does what he tells them to, so why should he care about a band that's most likely going to struggle with him over the content of a reunion?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »

'Scuse me if I offend anyone here, but these reunion threads have gotten old.

At any given time, somebody from the Mike & Bruce band or Brian & his band or Al Jardine band will say something during an interview and the speculation and rumors about a reunion start all over again. Brian's decision will gate any kind of Beach Boys reunion. And as we all know, he can say anything during an interview and whatever he says could be construed as yay or nay concerning a reunion. Look how many times he's changed his answer to his favorite Beach Boys song for instance. Think how much hoopla he would cause if he says yes to a reunion or Beach Boys Smile release. He knows what he's doing. If/when he's ready to say anything other than "No", he will!

A lot of Beach Boys fans don't want no for an answer. They want to see something happen. But as you can see so far, Brian has been adamantly saying no to a reunion. Maybe he will change his mind, maybe he won't. Maybe one nice call from Mike to Brian will change his mind. Maybe the definitive decision has already been made, or maybe not until the beginning, middle, or towards the end of next year. There's plenty of time, so why keep talking about it - it can be decided in one day or not at all, who knows? Nothing we say on these message boards will change anything, but if/when a decision is made, we will be the first to know.

I'll say this. If Mike Love sued my ass twice, I'd say all bets are off concerning a reunion. I wouldn't blame Brian a bit for saying no. FGI.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:58:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »

Why would "they" need it more than Brian, "they" are the cash cows exposing the brand and legacy to many more thousands of listeners.

Al and David, at least. And Mike and Bruce for the prestige and glory, if not the money.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »

I'll say this. If Mike Love sued my ass twice, I'd say all bets are off concerning a reunion. I wouldn't blame Brian a bit for saying no. FGI.

The first lawsuit was necessary, as Mike was cheated out of song credits and royalties for many songs. The second lawsuit was just plain ridiculous and seems to have done Mike more harm than he might have expected. I think Brian is most offended by the second lawsuit, not the first, which was settled.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »

The only thing that could turn it the other way would mean a benefit for a charity

Excellent idea! Do it for Carl and the fight against cancer. That should soften all hearts. And in memory of Dennis as well.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 11:52:19 PM »

The only thing that could turn it the other way would mean a benefit for a charity

Excellent idea! Do it for Carl and the fight against cancer. That should soften all hearts. And in memory of Dennis as well.
Agreed - tasteful.

“We live in divisive times.”
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »

Agreed - tasteful.
If The Beach Boys were to do it like that, there's no way it couldn't be tasteful. Or at least, they wouldn't be allowed to do the usual corny merda we've come to expect from the Mike and Stamos Band.
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »

I am not surprised that Brian isn't interested. In an interview from around the time BWPS came out he said that 'The Beach Boys were a drag". Now, I know Brian often changes his mind on things, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how he really feels. During most of his time as a Beach Boy he was in a very unstable condition and it was the worst time of his life. I think he probably wants to get away from that. The lawsuit probably didn't help either.

A broken man too tough to cry
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »

Until official word comes out on this supposed reunion, I'm gonna take anything that Brian, Mike & Al say with a grain of salt. I've learned over the last 40 years to never believe a word that they say, especially Brian.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 02:26:43 AM »

There used to be a documentary on Brian and the group on youtube (can't remember which one it was) and it had the most telling ending of Brian being unsure whether he'd like to get back together with the other guys or not. In this footage he doesn't seem to rule it out completely and he asks another person in the room, "What do you think?" and on comes "Do It Again". Best ending to a BW/BB documentary ever.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx