gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 02:50:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to recognise a Beach Boys afficianado.  (Read 15576 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »

so many al jardine dreams in this thread...
i honestly think that if somebody can name the six primary Beach Boys, they're an aficionado.
Brian Wilson, M. Edward Love, Michael E Love, M.E. Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:24 AM »

David Marks, Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, Jan Berry....am I close? Huh Huh Huh

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »

i honestly think that if somebody can name the six primary Beach Boys, they're an aficionado.
Brian Wilson, M. Edward Love, Michael E Love, M.E. Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston

No need for last names...

only...

Brian, Dennis, Carl, Al, Mike and Bruce...

just like

John, Paul, George and Ringo! LOL

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »

No need for last names...

only...

just like

I’m affraid this means you’re not an aficionado...  Roll Eyes

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »

No need for last names

only...

just like

I’m affraid this means you’re not an aficionado...  Roll Eyes

My dear Smile Holland - we must agree to disagree here...

The lineup when I became a fan in 1965, was thusly, as enumerated above...for those fans in the early 1960's...it includes Dave Marks...(I did not see him for 20 years until he covered the spot when Carl was terminal. )

And, I am sure if you posed the same question of young (fans) people, the name John Stamos would appear...and not Dennis or Carl, and some would not like it but the band membership shifted as time marched on...

That is how I view it and stand solidly behind it.  I still include Dennis and Carl, because they were around those days and whose work is still being released.  It all depends (as in the law) where you are standing...From where I stand, that is the band, and humor aside, it is an arbitrary label.  My late parents lamented, in the late 1960's that I probably knew more Beach Boys music than Geometry and certainly Trigonometry.  They were probably correct...but you like what you like...

Who has set the criteria for aficionado?  or  "aficionada" which is the female equivalent, en Espagnol, defined as  a "fan or devotee" - it does not denote the criteria of an expert...Are there reasonable parameters for everyone's inclusion?  "We are all fans or devotes here."  I think... Wink

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2010, 02:17:12 AM »

Ah, but it depends on how you define "primary". I looked at it as "original". And then I immediately see the Hawthorne memorial in front of me with BW, CW, DW, ML, AJ, and DM. And that's as water-tight as it can get for me.

But I don't underestimate Bruce's role in the group either. Hey, if I had to define who the Beach Boys were when I became a fan, then mr. Stamos. might have been on thet "primary"-list" and there certainly would be no Dennis and Brian...

As for the afficianado-term: I was purely responding on fishmonk's statement, and your reply. Hence the  Roll Eyes  smiley...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2010, 06:49:37 AM »

I go by the lineup as printed in the various compilations. Y'know, the one that states:

The Beach Boys are
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Mike Love
Alan Jardine
and
David Marks (1962-63)
Bruce Johnston (1865-72, 1978-present)
Blondie Chaplin (1972-73)
Ricky Fataar (1972-74)

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »

I go by the lineup as printed in the various compilations. Y'know, the one that states:

The Beach Boys are
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Mike Love
Alan Jardine
and
David Marks (1962-63)
Bruce Johnston (1865-72, 1978-present)
Blondie Chaplin (1972-73)
Ricky Fataar (1972-74)

Bruce Johnston, the Original Beach Boy  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Paulos
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2010, 07:15:25 AM »

So Bruce was in the band 97 years before they formed?  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »

So Bruce was in the band 97 years before they formed?  Grin

Yeah. He's much older than he looks.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »

Ah, but it depends on how you define "primary". I looked at it as "original". And then I immediately see the Hawthorne memorial in front of me with BW, CW, DW, ML, AJ, and DM. And that's as water-tight as it can get for me.

But I don't underestimate Bruce's role in the group either. Hey, if I had to define who the Beach Boys were when I became a fan, then mr. Stamos. might have been on thet "primary"-list" and there certainly would be no Dennis and Brian...

As for the afficianado-term: I was purely responding on fishmonk's statement, and your reply. Hence the  Roll Eyes  smiley...

Yes the "fishmonk" post went with the "six" concept...notwithstanding AGD's date-specific grid, which looks backwards, up to the present with regard band member "service time."

If you look at the 1967 Tour Book, by its "own hand" - there are six "listed and enumerated" Beach Boys...That is a personal snapshot.   It is a "window" that is my personal point of reference. Mine was forward-looking from my initial serious "aficionada" status in the fall of 1965, even though I knew who they were since the Ed Sullivan shows and Disney movie "The Monkey's Uncle."  

For other fans, the list can either be more or less inclusive, with respect to any point in time.

Having a "my group is better than your group" debate seems pretty silly to me...JMHO

As hopefully more work is released to the public, the individual contributions of respective members will be undeniable, also nothwithstanding what the industry may or may not have rejected for final album editing.  It is not all as cut and dry as it may appear on the surface.  Wink  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »

This is purely a personal thing, but my BB listings have always been thus:

I - original 1961
Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike & Alan.

II - classic #1 1962-3
Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike & David.

III - original redux 1963-5

IIIa - touring only 1965
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan, Bruce & Glen. [* - non-touring]

IV - classic #2 1965-71 (what most ordinary folk would recognise as the classic lineup)
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan & Bruce. [* - non-touring]

V - transitional #1 1971-72
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan, Bruce, Blondie & Ricky.

VI - transitional #2 1972-74
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan, Blondie (left 1973) & Ricky.

VII - classic #2 redux 1974-83 (in body if not exactly spirit)
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan & Bruce. [* - non-touring 1975-5]

VIII - post- Dennis 1984-1998
*Brian, Carl, Mike, Alan & Bruce. [* - touring increasingly intermittently to 1996]

IX - post-Carl #1 1998-1999
*Brian, Mike, *Alan, Bruce & David. [* - touring seperately]

X - post-Carl #2 1999-2010
*Brian, Mike, *Alan & Bruce. [* - touring seperately]

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2010, 09:39:37 AM »

I think knowing different lineups is unimportant. I don't know many people who even actually know the name Bruce Johnston, or that there were three Wilson brothers. Mike Love isn't really a household name, you'll meet some people who generally know who Brian Wilson is, but if you can actually name any of the band's lineups I would say you're better off than most people.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2010, 09:55:16 AM »

So not true. I'll bet you that the average Joe knows Mike Love as the main Beach Boy more so than Brian. I agree that most people couldn't tell you the names of the classic lineup, but that doesn't make knowing the lineups unimportant. When people don't know, but want to learn, then I'm more than happy to teach them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »

I think knowing different lineups is unimportant. I don't know many people who even actually know the name Bruce Johnston, or that there were three Wilson brothers. Mike Love isn't really a household name, you'll meet some people who generally know who Brian Wilson is, but if you can actually name any of the band's lineups I would say you're better off than most people.
Sooooo true-all of it.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »

This is purely a personal thing, but my BB listings have always been thus:

I - original 1961

II - classic #1 1962-3
Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike & David.

III - original redux 1963-5

IIIa - touring only 1965
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan, Bruce & Glen. [* - non-touring]

IV - classic #2 1965-71 (what most ordinary folk would recognise as the classic lineup)
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan & Bruce. [* - non-touring]

V - transitional #1 1971-72
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan, Bruce, Blondie & Ricky.

VI - transitional #2 1972-74
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan, Blondie (left 1973) & Ricky.

VII - classic #2 redux 1974-83 (in body if not exactly spirit)
*Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan & Bruce. [* - non-touring 1975-5]

VIII - post- Dennis 1984-1998
*Brian, Carl, Mike, Alan & Bruce. [* - touring increasingly intermittently to 1996]

IX - post-Carl #1 1998-1999
*Brian, Mike, *Alan, Bruce & David. [* - touring seperately]

X - post-Carl #2 1999-2010
*Brian, Mike, *Alan & Bruce. [* - touring seperately]

IV - My "classic list!"  and for those young ones...most of the Boys were a "household name" - every one knew who Dennis Wilson was in the 1960's...maybe not now as much time has elapsed...but every teenager in the 1960's certainly knew the band members names'...not unlike other famous groups like  The Cowsills!  The Monkees!  The Supremes!  The Rolling Stones! Dino, Desi, and Billy! 
 Wink

Thanks for the "era" clarification, AGD!

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2010, 02:33:34 PM »

Even their songs that had modest success from the late period aren't associated with them very much. Songs like Darlin' aren't as omnipresent as their oldies. To me, I can pick apart the vocals of a song, figure out whos doing each part. I've listened as Carl's voice grew better and Brian's grew worse. I know about the Wrecking Crew, and the whole scene of wonderful music that Brian was a part of. There's a whole history that most people aren't even aware of. There's a huge divide between fans and non-fans. I know some people who listened part way through a twofer, SS/WH or Sunflower/SU or something, they may proclaim Pet sounds as the best album of all time (sans those pesky instrumentals of course), but if you go beyond that you're a short hop away from full blown Beach Boys dementia. It doesn't seem many people are in between.

Questions to determine if a person is a Beach Boys fan,
1. Name one song from the Today LP
2. Name one song from the Friends LP
3. Name one album the band released in the 1970s
4. Name anyone who's ever been in the band.

I don't think I know anyone who can answer any of those questions, except number 4 after hearing me jabber on about BW for hours.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:36:40 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »

Number 3 ain't too hard.  Many people will say "Endless Summer" - some may even remember "Spirit of America". I remember when "Endless Summer" turned a whole new generation of fans onto The Beach Boys. It even sparked an interest for some to seek out the individual albums. And Number 4 - after TV specials and articles and tours and other stuff, I think he's much more mainstream in popularity than he use to be.

Number 2 - Friends. I had never even HEARD of the album much less the single off of it until I had most of the other 60's albums. It's not one of their biggest sellers or on any top 100 lists, so you really do have to be an afficianado to have even heard of that album. 

For me, I bought all the original Capitol albums in the early 70's. Many of them had already been deleted from the Capitol catalog, and you couldn't find them at Tower or elsewhere, with exception to a few reissues which didn't have all the original tracks included. Then, as soon as I thought I had them all, I found out about Smiley Smile. Then Wild Honey. Cool, I had 'em all now! Nope, you gotta find Friends. And the Deluxe Set! What? There was another I had to find? Yep, 20/20. Then Live In London (which was hard to find in the U.S.) And then Stack-o-Tracks (w/book) which took quite awhile to find! So Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions, and Holland were out in the stores, and new copies of the original post Pet Sounds Capitol black/rainbow label were hard to find already! But revelation after revelation to find out there was more to collect and you had to find them mint through Goldmine, used record stores, or record swap meets. It wasn't easy collecting original Beach Boys albums back then!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:23 PM »

For me it would be referencing the Beach Boys in any instant when regarding music in any way; I have a tendency to do that frequently. Especially when regarding the golden era of rock n' roll and why there is no other era since then that can relate as far as significance goes.
I've said it before and Ill say it again- "Chuck Berry invented rock n' roll, the Beach Boys perfected it and the Ramones rejuvenated it".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx