gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:25:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to recognise a Beach Boys afficianado.  (Read 15566 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:58:52 PM »

1) While others shiver at the sight of Charles Manson, the fan whistles 'Never Learn Not To Love".

2) Can pick out the word "Beach' in any music publication during a quick scan before buying.

3) While shopping for clothes,looks in the mirror and thinks "mmm... Dennis or Mike ?"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:30:52 AM »

1) While others shiver at the sight of Charles Manson, the fan whistles 'Never Learn Not To Love".

2) Can pick out the word "Beach' in any music publication during a quick scan before buying.

3) While shopping for clothes,looks in the mirror and thinks "mmm... Dennis or Mike ?"

LOL No. 2 describes me! Sometimes I even bought two copies of the same issue, one to read until it was almost torn, the other to keep in mint condition.

4) Grows beard every now and then, doesn't wash (--> dandruff and fatty hair and vague bodily others that I won't describe), and develops a strange fetishism regarding bathrobes.

5) Drives sellers at record fairs to madness by asking for 'Remember The Zoo' endlessly.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:59:34 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:46:49 AM »

5) Drives sellers at record fairs to madness by asking for 'Remember The Zoo' endlessly.

Nooooooooooooo... a true BB afficiando would know that no such album could ever have existed.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »

(I'm counting Andrew G. Doe's post as an extra item)

7) Recognizes Wishbone Ash jokes.

Cool Finds Wishbone Ash jokes funny.

9) Can recite most of Murry Wilson's rants from memory.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »

10) ...praises Pet Sounds everytime a Beatles-tune is being played

11) ...wanders through L.A. and asks himself whenever he sees a 43-plus x-year old lady if Dennis b@nged her

12)....automatically stops when talking about David Marks and waits for Jon Stebbins to interrupt him  (sorry Jon, just joking)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
oldsurferdude
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »

1. Before a party buries all BB cds and albums in the back yard.

2. stashes all BBs cds under the seat when parking the car at the mall.

3. calls the local radio station daily requesting Rio Grande.

4. Has 3 or more copies of every album and single.

5. Is of the opinion that the the group will reunite and do another Pet Sounds album which is 10 times better.

6. On a windy day is often seen flying his official BB kite.

7. Still thinks Be True to Your School is better than any Beatles tune.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »

6. On a windy day is often seen flying his official BB kite.
They have those?

Pix plz?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »

Here's my 15 Big Ones kite.  Never been flown, not even for the Benefit of Mr. Kite.

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Miscellaneous/pages/15%20Big%20Ones%20promotional%20kite%20(1976).html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:13:15 PM »

Here's my 15 Big Ones kite.  Never been flown, not even for the Benefit of Mr. Kite.

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Miscellaneous/pages/15%20Big%20Ones%20promotional%20kite%20(1976).html

I'm glad you found that!  I was thinking how much trouble it would be to find my kites, take pics and then post them here. 
Is that one pictured really yours?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »

No, but I have one just like it. And I also have a 15 Big Ones frisbee, and a 15 Big Ones poster, and a 15 Big Ones hanging mobile and a 15 Big Ones button, and a 15 Big Ones concert program, and a 15 Big Ones Billboard magazine, and a 15 Big One condom.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »

and a 15 Big One condom.

you really want to make sure if your posts are read, don't you?  Roll Eyes

EDIT:

or should I say (and I quote Don Zabu here):

They have those?

Pix plz?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:32:11 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 01:31:54 PM »

Yeah, because hardly anybody responds to my posts.  Was it too dirty for the board?

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »

Yeah, because hardly anybody responds to my posts.  Was it too dirty for the board?

I've seen worse here ...

(but son't see that as an invitation please)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:17 PM »

Man, now I feel bad;
I'll try to be more in touch with your feelings and reply when I see your moniker here.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »

No, but I have one just like it. And I also have a 15 Big Ones frisbee, and a 15 Big Ones poster, and a 15 Big Ones hanging mobile and a 15 Big Ones button, and a 15 Big Ones concert program, and a 15 Big Ones Billboard magazine, and a 15 Big One condom.
We must have gone to the same store-got it all except the last one-got lucky but the kite remains unused.  Wink
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »

Was it too dirty for the board?
Hmmm....

"Haha!  I love you guys!"  exclaims Bri.

Carl looks down, as the front of Brians dressing gown opens in the breeze,

"Damn, you sure do... thanks Brother!"

Carl, now naked, whips out his acoustic, and composes the riff for "Dance, Dance, Dance"... Mike, also naked, jams some lyrics, and Bri, still naked leaps on the piano and works out some harmonies.

Meanwhile Denny is having sex with Al.

And that my friends, is how the song sequencing on the first side of "Today!" came about.

The end.
Seems alright to me.

Anyway:
20) You write stuff like that.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 02:21:59 PM »

Beach Boys afficianado.

1. One who knows that the Beach Boys recorded music after Pet Sounds.
2. One who knows about the Beach Boys 'Smile' and the reasons why it wasn't finished and released.
3. One who knows all the names of The Beach Boys, especially the names of the Wilson Brothers who passed on (and why) and the name of the one who lived to tell about it.
4. One who knows the name of the guy who is The Beach Boys.
5. One who can identify the lead vocalist in all of the Beach Boys songs (especially Brian's leads before and after 1975).
6. One who immediately recognizes the name of any given Beach Boys song, the lyrics of the song, the author(s) of the song, whether it was on a single/album, the record label it was originally released on, the year it was released, and if it charted.
7. One who knows who David Marks, Ricky Fataar, and Blondie Chaplin are and the years they were officially in the band.
8. One who knows if at the wedding, was Roger Christian, who did Gary Usher, and where did Van Dyke Park?
9. One who knows what the names 'Safari', 'Randy', 'Candix', and 'X' have in common.
10. One who knows how many years the Beach Boys have been the Beach Boys.
11. One who has read pretty much every book and article written about The Beach Boys and also passed the college prep class "Beach Boys 101" with magma cum loud honors.
12. One who knows how many women Dennis Wilson made love to.
13. One who has a Beach Boys collection larger than their entire music collection combined.
14. One who can compete with Andrew G. Doe in a Beach Boys trivia contest and survive at least the first round without being knocked out.
15. One who reads/contributes to the Smiley Smile board at least once per week.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:39:55 PM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »

Beach Boys afficianado.

1. One who knows that the Beach Boys recorded music after Pet Sounds.
2. One who knows about 'Smile'.
3. One who knows all the names of all of the The Beach Boys, especially the names of the Wilson Brothers who passed on (and why) and the name of one who lived to tell about it.
4. One who knows the name of the one guy who is The Beach Boys.
5. One who can identify the lead vocalist in all Beach Boys songs.
6. One who immediately recognizes the name of any given beach Boys song, the lyrics of the song, the author(s) of the song, if the song was on a single/album, the record label it was originally released on, the year it was released, and if it charted.
7. One who knows who David Marks, Ricky Fataar, and Blondie Chaplin are and the years they were officially in the band.
8. One who knows what the names 'Safari', 'Randy', Candix, and 'X' have in common.
9. One who knows how many years the Beach Boys have been the Beach Boys.
10. One who has read pretty much every book and article written about The Beach Boys and passed the college prep class "Beach Boys 101" with magna cum loud honors.
11. One who has a Beach Boys collection larger than their entire music collection combined.
12. One who can compete with Andrew G. Doe in a Beach Boys trivia contest and survive at least the first round without being knocked out.
13. One who reads the Smiley Smile board at least once per week.

I can meet some of the criteria I suppose; after all, I know the answer to # 4 is Mike Love.  And #11 IS me. 
#13, does this person have to read the Entire board?
#5 & 6; I don't hear so good anymore, so count me out on that, and I'm forgetting some other stuff more and more, but HEY! How about those Rangers?.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:55:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »

We must have gone to the same store-got it all except the last one-got lucky but the kite remains unused.  Wink

There was even more promo stuff available for the "Love You" album. Warners seemed to go all-balls-out promoting those albums.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »

I have a large replica of the Love You album cover that hung in the record store for months after the release. Nice thick cardboard with a small square cut out of each corner.  Been a part of the house for a long time now.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »

I have a large replica of the Love You album cover that hung in the record store for months after the release. Nice thick cardboard with a small square cut out of each corner.  Been a part of the house for a long time now.

Nice that it's cardboard; did they cutout the corners to hang it? 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »

Me too. It's 4 feet by 4 feet and about 1/2 inch thick styrofoam backing, only mine has metal rings embedded in the corners for hanging. 

In addition to a 'Love You' hanging mobile and a regular 'Love You" poster, there were also some promo posters with a pretty girl displayed. One each from San Francisco, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis. They say "Hi, I'm Kathy - The Beach Boys Love You" on them with a couple of previous WB BB albums displayed.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »

I have a large replica of the Love You album cover that hung in the record store for months after the release. Nice thick cardboard with a small square cut out of each corner.  Been a part of the house for a long time now.

Me too. It's 4 feet by 4 feet and about 1/2 inch thick styrofoam backing, only mine has metal rings embedded in the corners for hanging.  

In addition to a 'Love You' hanging mobile and a regular 'Love You" poster, there were also some promo posters with a pretty girl displayed. One each from San Francisco, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis. They say "Hi, I'm Kathy - The Beach Boys Love You" on them with a couple of previous WB BB albums displayed.

Got any idea how many other cities were immortalized?  I have the LA, NYC, Philadelphia, Indianapolis and Tampa.  Wish I could find SF and Dallas...
edit: I see there's also one for San diego.

There's one  constantly on Ebay  for Minneapolis. The seller wants $350 and I've never been able to get them to move off that price.  They have an AFRTS BBs/ Creedence LP that they want the same amount for. They're just nutty.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/BEACH-BOYS-LOVE-YOU-MINNEAPOLIS-HUGE-PROMO-POSTER-/320155724456
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:57:17 PM by bgas » Logged

The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »

You have to pee really badly but you hold it in because you're listening to Pet Sounds.

A broken man too tough to cry
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx