gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:14:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 231407 times)
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:42 PM »

How can any sane person give this a five after the majestic Pet Sounds? It's good (and not much worse than SMiLE would have been, I'd argue), but certainly no FIVE.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 12, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »

I give this a 4 when I first heard this it scared the sh*t outta me :/ I was afraid to check out the rest of their work but i love the rendition of the smile songs...I don't think its a abortion i think it's the cruel/evil/pain behind a pretty smile.
Paulos
« Reply #752 on: March 13, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

How can any sane person give this a five after the majestic Pet Sounds? It's good (and not much worse than SMiLE would have been, I'd argue), but certainly no FIVE.

Because maybe some people hold an opinion that's different to yours?  Roll Eyes
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #753 on: March 13, 2012, 12:16:37 PM »

That's a bizarre opinion. I don't rate Smiley Smile in comparison to Pet Sounds, I rate it entirely on it's own terms; and as far as experimental low-fi avant-garde pop goes Smiley Smile is a classic. Hence I gave it a 5.
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

It really isn't a bizarre opinion. Taking both albums at face value, Pet Sounds is clearly superior; it has lush and cohesive production, emotional, relatable lyrics, and some of the most memorable pop songs of the twentieth-century on board.

I like Smiley Smile for its lo-fi production and quirky atmosphere (besides the dubious inclusion of Good Vibrations), but, taking it at face value, it is clearly not as good as Pet Sounds. But it is good.

There are days where I would give it a five, but I always remind myself how disappointed I was when I first heard it and how annoyed I am whenever Good Vibrations plays (I love that song, of course, but it's a sore thumb here).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:25:16 PM by Grave Robber 9 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 14, 2012, 05:28:09 AM »

It really isn't a bizarre opinion. Taking both albums at face value, Pet Sounds is clearly superior;

Yeah I'm going to stop you right there....  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 14, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »

U prob think that Holland is better than Pet Sounds 2!!!!! GOSH
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #757 on: March 16, 2012, 01:25:54 AM »

There's a Pet Sounds 2?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 16, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »

I honestly can't believe I have to explain that one album is not 'clearly superior' to another as if that is a quantifiable statement with clear and irrefutable evidence. But then, this IS the internet.  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #759 on: March 16, 2012, 03:49:10 AM »

You know I was playing this for my soon to be wife and she seriously would like to play the record (I am doing vinyl of course) during the dinner! That's why I love her.  Great quotes at the bottom hypehat
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »

I honestly can't believe I have to explain that one album is not 'clearly superior' to another as if that is a quantifiable statement with clear and irrefutable evidence. But then, this IS the internet.  Roll Eyes

Can u plz rite mi term papers 4 me. K thnx.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 16, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »

After listening to the smile sessions, this album seriously messes with the listener by having songs hinting at the greatness that would have been smile in 1967.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Melissa
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 19, 2012, 06:46:15 PM »

Top 3 favorite Beach Boys albums
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #763 on: April 26, 2012, 01:05:24 AM »

Anyone else prefer a lot of the Smiley Smile versions of the Smile songs to the actual Smile versions themselves? Or is it just me?
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 01, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »

I remember when I first heard Smiley Smile, and I was annoyed because I thought it would be spectacular, profound, because this whole Smile thing was supposed to be a big deal. And I just thought it was plain lazy.

Of course, it grew on me in no time.

First off, the album cover: it's one of my favorites of their whole catalogue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. Heroes and Villains : Not my favorite version of the song, and not even a song I've ever been that excited about in the first place. But me being jaded doesn't make the song any less great. 4/5

2. Vegetables : Not a thrilling song, but a nice sonic experience. Crystal clear highs and mids and that huge bass sound; very earthy. 3/5

3. Fall Breaks and Back to Winter (W. Woodpecker Symphony) : Fun and eerie. Not a track I ever choose to listen to on its own, but when I do listen to this album I let it play as a whole, and it is an integral part of the album. 3/5

4. She's Goin' Bald : Always been one of my favorites. Reminds me of Hitchcock or Twilight Zone, or some similarly old, bizarre psych-thriller. Always enjoyed the ascending diminished chords in the middle section. 3/5

5. Little Pad : My favorite song from the album. Great mood in this little utopian island treasure ... I think the sloppiness only bothered me on first listen, years ago. Now it's just a part of it's liveliness. 5/5

6. Good Vibrations : The majesty of this one just doesn't make sense with the goofiness of the rest. That said, it's not jarring or anything. It actually follows "Little Pad" really well. 5/5

7. With Me Tonight : If "Fall Breaks..." is Hitchcock, then "With Me Tonight" is Capra. Great feel. I do wish this track was a little more fleshed out, I think. I feel that way about several on this album. 3.5/5

8. Wind Chimes : Simply not as good as the proper Smile version. Too slow. Still, I'd rather have both versions than only one. 4/5

9. Gettin' Hungry : Wish the organ wasn't so ear-shattering. It's a very cool tune, but I'd like it more in the Wild Honey style, more guitar and drum based. 3/5

10. Wonderful : Nowhere near as good as the Smile version. It's a funny scene (with help from the middle section), but too slow and breathy. 3/5

11. Whistle In : Perfect way to conclude. Love the chord structure, simple as it is, and the vocals. Like "With Me Tonight," I wish it was longer, maybe had another section or something. 3.5/5

I like to imagine this album as something like Marty Robbins' Song of the Islands album. There's some kind of concept in here -- not intentionally, and not pretentiously -- but I mean strictly in my imagination when I reflect on all the times I've listened to the album. It's like an album about watching a collection of vintage short films. That's exactly the concept and imagery I've been meaning to ascribe to Smiley Smile all these years. Yes ... there it is.

4/5
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: May 02, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »

Tremendous collection of songs! Jolly love it! Surprisingly, it turned out to be the only album where I like all tracks! In other LPs there's often from 1 to 3 or more songs I consider weak. The biggest gems of crown: Wind Chimes, Fall Breaks (& Back to Winter), Good Vibrations, Whistle In. IMO. 
you even  like she's goin bald?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 02, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »

,Yes. You know I never deal with the text in any song.  Music is more important, If I like melody then it's in my favorites.
what about the creepy sped up voices?
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »

What?! Are you high Newguy?! (Probably not otherwise you'd be appreciating Smiley Smile a whole lot more LOL) She's Goin' Bald absolutely slays  Rock!

The first section's melody is super stellar, the lyrics are fun and not derivative, different voices are flying everywhere, the faux-50s commercial ending is just bursting with personality and IT REFERENCES goshdarn BLOWJOBS.

What the hell is not to like about this golden ditty?!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »

What?! Are you high Newguy?! (Probably not otherwise you'd be appreciating Smiley Smile a whole lot more LOL) She's Goin' Bald absolutely slays  Rock!

The first section's melody is super stellar, the lyrics are fun and not derivative, different voices are flying everywhere, the faux-50s commercial ending is just bursting with personality and IT REFERENCES goshdarn BLOWJOBS.

the sped up voices are very scary :O i love the beginning that's about it..i tried a million times and i just can't get into that song that for that reason.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #769 on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:18 AM »

the sped up voices are very scary :O i love the beginning that's about it..i tried a million times and i just can't get into that song that for that reason.
[/quote]

She's Goin Bald is my favourite song on the album. It's way better than He Gives Speeches. And the sped up vocals section is the BEST BIT!
MBE
« Reply #770 on: May 03, 2012, 02:28:07 AM »

While Love You never really grew on me this has. I don't think it's near their best but it has a weird charm quite apart from Smile. I think Smile being put out really let me enjoy this more.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:41 AM »

I remember when I first heard Smiley Smile, and I was annoyed because I thought it would be spectacular, profound, because this whole Smile thing was supposed to be a big deal. And I just thought it was plain lazy.

1. Heroes and Villains : Not my favorite version of the song, and not even a song I've ever been that excited about in the first place. But me being jaded doesn't make the song any less great. 4/5

2. Vegetables : Not a thrilling song, but a nice sonic experience. Crystal clear highs and mids and that huge bass sound; very earthy. 3/5

3. Fall Breaks and Back to Winter (W. Woodpecker Symphony) : Fun and eerie. Not a track I ever choose to listen to on its own, but when I do listen to this album I let it play as a whole, and it is an integral part of the album. 3/5

4. She's Goin' Bald : Always been one of my favorites. Reminds me of Hitchclock or Twilight Zone, or some similarly old, bizarre psych-thriller. Always enjoyed the ascending diminished chords in the middle section. 3/5

5. Little Pad : My favorite song from the album. Great mood in this little utopian island treasure ... I think the sloppiness only bothered me on first listen, years ago. Now it's just a part of it's liveliness. 5/5

6. Good Vibrations : The majesty of this one just doesn't make sense with the goofiness of the rest. That said, it's not jarring or anything. It actually follows "Little Pad" really well. 5/5

7. With Me Tonight : If "Fall Breaks..." is Hitchclock, then "With Me Tonight" is Capra. Great feel. I do wish this track was a little more fleshed out, I think. I feel that way about several on this album. 3.5/5

8. Wind Chimes : Simply not as good as the proper Smile version. Too slow. Still, I'd rather have both versions than only one. 4/5

9. Gettin' Hungry : Wish the organ wasn't so ear-shattering. It's a very cool tune, but I'd like it more in the Wild Honey style, more guitar and drum based. 3/5

10. Wonderful : Nowhere near as good as the Smile version. It's a funny scene (with help from the middle section), but too slow and breathy. 3/5

11. Whistle In : Perfect way to conclude. Love the chord structure, simple as it is, and the vocals. Like "With Me Tonight," I wish it was longer, maybe had another section or something. 3.5/5

I like to imagine this album as something like Marty Robbins' Song of the Islands album. There's some kind of concept in here -- not intentionally, and not pretentiously -- but I mean strictly in my imagination when I reflect on all the times I've listened to the album. It's like an album about watching a collection of vintage short films. That's exactly the concept and imagery I've been meaning to ascribe to Smiley Smile all these years. Yes ... there it is.

4/5
What's a Hitchclock?

A discipline daddy.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 25, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »

4. She's Goin' Bald : Always been one of my favorites. Reminds me of Hitchclock or Twilight Zone, or some similarly old, bizarre psych-thriller. Always enjoyed the ascending diminished chords in the middle section. 3/5

7. With Me Tonight : If "Fall Breaks..." is Hitchclock, then "With Me Tonight" is Capra. Great feel. I do wish this track was a little more fleshed out, I think. I feel that way about several on this album. 3.5/5

4/5
What's a Hitchclock?
That thing behind the old man:

vandykepeter
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 29, 2012, 06:04:07 AM »

The first Beach Boys related album I ever heard was Brian Wilson's "Smile" - and I loved it! Listening to that album for years before listening to Smiley Smile, I was shocked to hear Smiley Smile! How could the band abandon the magic of Smile and make Smiley Smile in its sted?

At first I hated it with a passion - it wasn't Smile! How could it even try to compete? But after listening to it for a while, at least two of the arrangements gained ground with me. I like the minimalist arrangements of "Wonderful" and "Wind Chimes". They bring out the wild and beautiful nature of the songs. "Vegetables" is also arranged in a very minimalist way, but it doesn't accomplish anything by being stripped down, because it didn't add anything to the mix. Ultimately it just felt like it's being "dumbed down". Unfortunately! It's so beautiful on The Smile Sessions and BW's Smile.

Ultimately it pales next to the Smile project. The pleasant moments on it brings it up to a 3. Considering how much worse they have put together, it's a fine album.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: June 27, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »

Harmonies are great on this! Is it just me or did everyone else have trouble identifying who sang what? At times they all can sound alike! Wind Chimes, Vegetables, Good Vibrations, Little Pad, Wonderful, She's Goin' Bald..... Screw "mainstream"! I like weird and psychedelic stuff!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx