gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:57:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Smiley Smile
5 - 104 (47.1%)
4 - 53 (24%)
3 - 38 (17.2%)
2 - 16 (7.2%)
1 - 5 (2.3%)
0 - 5 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile  (Read 229304 times)
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 20, 2006, 02:24:40 AM »

Wow, 37 pages? I haven't read them, but let me comment on the album: I can't stand it.

Why is that? Because I compare it with Smile or Pet Sounds? Because the low production values ruin it? Because it reeks of sabotage? Maybe these points play some role. But I love Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20, and the same could be said about those.

Good Vibrations doesn't belong on this album, it was released one year before. Heroes And Villains is still a great song, even in this edited version, but once I heard all the alternate sections, I can't really enjoy this mix anymore. With Me Tonight is a nice tune, but I prefer all three other versions. Fall Breaks is a minor favorite of mine, but it's not exactly full of variety. And Whistle In is a promising snippet, one of the highlights.

I have talked about Gettin' Hungry before, but boy, how annoying is that one. Every milli-second of it. Easily the worst recorded two minutes of Beach Boys from the 1960s. My last description was "something I could write within two minutes if I were drunk". Yes, still fitting.

The Smile leftovers Wonderful, Vegetables and Wind Chimes are very frustrating, since they intentionally play the sincerity and effort of the older recordings down. Yes, there is the lovely "whispering winds" section, but mixed so low that you have to turn up your stereo so loud only to be shocked by...see last paragraph. Carl's lead vocal on Wonderful can only be understood in an ironic way, along the lines "this is a beautiful melody, so I will sing it as bad and as uninterested as possible."

Little Pad and She's Going Bald are typical effects of drugs. Hillarious when you are stoned (and in the studio during the recording and mixing), but dull when you are sober. I don't have any problem with music created under the influence of drugs, but the result should be enjoyable without the help of them.

I gave it two points, mainly for Fall Breaks and Whistle In and the acceptable With Me Tonight.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:29:25 AM by Andreas » Logged
OLD GREGG
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 20, 2006, 02:37:35 AM »

Wow, 37 pages? I haven't read them, but let me comment on the album: I can't stand it.

Why is that? Because I compare it with Smile or Pet Sounds? Because the low production values ruin it? Because it reeks of sabotage? Maybe these points play some role. But I love Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20, and the same could be said about those.

Good Vibrations doesn't belong on this album, it was released one year before. Heroes And Villains is still a great song, even in this edited version, but once I heard all the alternate sections, I can't really enjoy this mix anymore. With Me Tonight is a nice tune, but I prefer all three other versions. Fall Breaks is a minor favorite of mine, but it's not exactly full of variety. And Whistle In is a promising snippet, one of the highlights.

I have talked about Gettin' Hungry before, but boy, how annoying is that one. Every milli-second of it. Easily the worst recorded two minutes of Beach Boys from the 1960s. My last description was "something I could write within two minutes if I were drunk". Yes, still fitting.

The Smile leftovers Wonderful, Vegetables and Wind Chimes are very frustrating, since they intentionally play the sincerity and effort of the older recordings down. Yes, there is the lovely "whispering winds" section, but mixed so low that you have to turn up your stereo so loud only to be shocked by...see last paragraph. Carl's lead vocal on Wonderful can only be understood in an ironic way, along the lines "this is a beautiful melody, so I will sing it as bad and as uninterested as possible."

Little Pad and She's Going Bald are typical effects of drugs. Hillarious when you are stoned (and in the studio during the recording and mixing), but dull when you are sober. I don't have any problem with music created under the influence of drugs, but the result should be enjoyable without the help of them.

I gave it two points, mainly for Fall Breaks and Whistle In and the acceptable With Me Tonight.

Every reason you state for disliking it is exactly why I love it..  Smiley

37 pages is definitely an impressive number.. a sign that like all the best art it divides opinion among those that claim authoritive knowledge on the subject of musical expression.. it's still just as subversive and beautifully ugly as it ever was as shown by the strong reaction it gets from most everyone, whether they love it or otherwise there is no doubt that it causes a need to express the feelings that it stirs up.

I'm OLD GREGG!!
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 20, 2006, 02:48:07 AM »

'ey, great review Andreas...  agree with alot of it, not with some others... but an outstanding piece of writing nonetheless.

I disagree though that 20/20 is 'minimalist' production... it's nearly all huge to my ears.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 20, 2006, 02:55:14 AM »

an outstanding piece of writing

Huh
Fine opinions, well put, but?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 20, 2006, 03:09:59 AM »

Haha, well his grammar and paragraphin' were tops Ian Wink

Don't be sad mate, I got 6 CD's today...

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (I'm sure to dig this one)
Sarah Blasko - The Overture and the Underscore
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Kevin Borich - Celebration
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (just single disc, the set is too expensive at the mo)
Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Barely heard a thing by alot of them, hope it's all good.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 20, 2006, 03:11:52 AM »

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (just single disc, the set is too expensive at the mo)
Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 20, 2006, 03:13:19 AM »

an outstanding piece of writing

Huh
Fine opinions, well put, but?
Ahem, I did not intend to write an essay, and I am not the world's greatest writer. Smiley
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 20, 2006, 03:17:46 AM »

Well ya did fine Andrea...

now let's get back on topic.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 20, 2006, 03:18:52 AM »

No offense intended, I thought it twas a fine, woefully wrong, but very well-put post!  Grin

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 20, 2006, 03:23:52 AM »

Off topic again, Ian, of the CD's I bought, what won't require my full attention for a first listen?

Just listened to Kev, what a great guitarist, who next?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 20, 2006, 10:47:54 AM »

The 4 I know all require full attention!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: February 20, 2006, 11:53:01 PM »

[
Not to sound cheeky here, but I doubt the Boys could have tuned the steel guitar the proper way without asking someone, let alone have played such a smooth and as you said "nuanced" slide part that remained perfectly in tune. That's the real bear on that instrument - intonation.

Lennon burned it up on "For You Blue"!

C-Man

Wink Yes he burned it up, and it's a bitchin' lap steel part, but he's out of tune - by even the most relaxed standards of playing a lap steel guitar with good intonation. Some of the outtakes are even worse...
But did it matter in that context? Of course not, it's a cool part that fits the tune like a glove.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 25, 2006, 12:20:13 AM »

I TRULY DISLIKE 2004 SMILE, 1 YEAR ON....

JUST SAW HIS LENO APPERANCE....EMBARRASING!!!!

NO SOUL, JUST BORING FANGEEKS NOTE4NOTE PROFESIONALISM!!!!!

GIMME DRUNK DENNIS ANYDAY!!!
HEY MR. FOSKETT, SLIM IT DOWN FER F**** SAKE.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 25, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »

Charls, PLEASE ban this guy.
I'll make u breakfast in bed for a week.

OLD GREGG
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 25, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »

Charls, PLEASE ban this guy.
I'll make u breakfast in bed for a week.
And ill make you breakfast in bed..

I'm OLD GREGG!!
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 28, 2006, 10:55:52 AM »

I never understood why this album didn't do better on the charts. With the mega-hit GV making it's first album appearance, and H&V was a modest hit too?  Roll Eyes Could it be that by 1967 the BBs were a singles act only?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2006, 12:42:50 PM »

People didn't want a freaky art album by squares.

Jason
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2006, 12:43:37 PM »

By 1967, nobody cared enough.
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 28, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »

People didn't want a freaky art album by squares.

Funny. It's the squares make the BEST art albums!

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 06, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »

For me, the ultimate statement of Brian Wilson's artistic genius would have to be Pet Sounds.  However, this quirky little record, derided by many if not most Beach Boy fans, has risen to become my personal favorite, surpassing the wonderful Friends, the lost SMiLE album and even the mighty Sounds itself.  To think that one record could possibly speak to my soul so directly, embed itself in my subconscious, and leave its imprint on my brain so that I can instantly recall every nuance of every song even after I've gone months without hearing it, is incredible. 

The trip starts inside the Little Smiley Cabin as pictured on the record sleeve, located somewhere in the jungles of Oahu, as you recline listening to the edited 45 version of your all-time favorite Beach Boys song, "Heroes & Villains" on the turntable.  While some fans dislike this particular edit, it's the one you grew up on; and as such no other version can ever meet or surpass it in your humble estimation.  And, oh yes, you adore the sound of the Baldwin!  The clock indicates it's lunch time, where you will feast on the minimalist masterpiece "Vegetables", which utilizes to incredible effect the sounds of pouring water and celery chomping as its percussion track.  (Name one heralded indie band that's clever and cool enough to do something so bizarre yet utterly great, even though it's nearly forty years after the fact.  Hell, name one indie band that can sing harmonies anywhere near as good as what you hear on here! )

You now exit the Little Smiley Cabin for a trip into the heart of the jungle on "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter", where you are simultaneously frightened and amused by what you see.  You reckon it's hard to think of another musician who is as good at using melodies to conjure images in your mind as Brian Wilson, and this track is the perfect example of that.  Next, a trip of a decidedly different sort, as you drop acid and head to Mike Love's girlfriend's house and discover to your horror that "She's Goin' Bald", man!  The freakiness of the sped-up wall of Beach Boy voices is almost too much... Luckily you've cooled down from your trip as you make our way out of the jungle, and back to your "Little Pad" on the beach.   The harmonies and steel guitar here are at once peaceful and yet reminiscent of the increasing mental instability of the head Beach Boy.

The acid is kicking in even more and now you're feeling those good ol' "Good Vibrations"; keying in to what surrounds you every day, but which you are usually too busy or distracted to appreciate.  Set up a lawn chair outside the little pad, and listen to the waves and the sound of "Wind Chimes" as the sun begins to set.  You're groovin' along with a peaceful buzz, when you see that hot girl walk by in the two piece bikini.  Makes you wish you had one to call your own.  Too bad you're normally too busy busting your ass under the hot Hawaiian sun to have enough time to dedicate to one special lady.  Seeing her walk by now, you know you're "Gettin' Hungry" for that kind of woman.  Then suddenly you flash back to your childhood, and that experience you had with that girl you met that one summer when you came up to stay with your gram.  Something had changed profoundly by the end of that summer-- she was no longer the little girl you once knew.  You groove on these feelings as the acid wears off, and decide that the experience was indeed "Wonderful", despite the mixed emotions you felt at the time.  At peace, you find yourself whistling a simple melody, and vowing that you'll remember this day and night all day long the next day.  You walk back into your pad and put "Heroes and Villains" on the record player...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:42:46 PM by Jason Penick » Logged

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 06, 2006, 12:28:26 PM »

Great review!

I never thought of Whistle In in that way.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 16, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

I think the instrumental track for "Wonderful" is so unbelievably sad sounding.  I was listening to it in the car the other day, stopped at a traffic light, and watching the pedestrian people go about their mundane little journeys (much as I was) was just so sad...and at the same time so comforting, so lovely.

This is the enigma of Smiley for me:  so fodaed up, so beautiful.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 19, 2006, 12:15:59 PM »

Does ANYONE know as to who/how/what provided the fantastic front cover to "Smiley Smile" ? Any ideas as to who painted the artwork ?? A great cover in my opinion ... but I was kinda hoping someone could shed some light on it for me.
 Undecided

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 19, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

honestly, it's better than Smile, IMO

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 19, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »

honestly, it's better than Smile, IMO

The album artwork or the music itself?

I've often wondered if the change of album titles (SMiLE to SMiLEY SMiLE) was due to someone disliking SMiLE's album cover. They already had it printed ---- like 400, 000 copies or whatever. That means if they didn't like it they would need new ones printed ---- Now as SMiLEY SMiLE with the revised artwork. I too like SS's cover a lot better. I stare at it for minutes at a time --- barely looked at Smile's to be honest. I consider the cabin to be the one from Cabinessence. The same one that was in Brian & V.D.P's mind while writing and recording the song. The album itself, now SMiLEY does sound like a bunch of whacked-out musicians playing stoned and crazy music to each other. Though it was meticulously recorded, it sounds very loose and laid back.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx