gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:53:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wonderbill - I Hate It!  (Read 10594 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »

To each his own. Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »

Wonderbill's great. Imagine if they performed it on the reunion tour! I'd s.hi.t my pants!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Yeah I enjoy it too..I think it's a ballsy pairing, putting these two songs together.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:41 PM »

Wow, that's some real interesting news indeed to me...thanks for the info guys!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »

Wonderbill's great. Imagine if they performed it on the reunion tour! I'd s.hi.t my pants!
If Ricky and Blondie are there, they should do it to transition from smile songs to the early 1970s material.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »

I don't mind "Wonderbill" but it's an odd pairing. Also, "Wonderful" is going to make almost any other song by anyone sound like sh*t in comparison so it's indeed a bit of an anti-climax when it segues into "Bill"... That said, at least they were trying to create something new and original at the time and it's nice that Blondie and Ricky got to sing a couple of songs of their own in concert. "Leaving This Town" I think fit in particularly well with the group's other material.
SG7
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

I agree! That song is rather meh.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »

If i remember right 1st Flame lp came with a poster.Vinyl version..And yes i do like the lp.
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

For me it's one great song ("Wonderful"), one good song ("Bill"), and one bad pairing.  They're just too different in style and lyrical content to mesh well.  Must've been the drugs that made them think it'd work...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »

Ballsy is fine, but to graft a totally unrelated song onto one of the better Smile songs - the one from the '93 box set destroys me every time I hear it - it's unnecessary and really doesn't make any sense musically or lyrically, and doesn't really enhance or compliment either of the original tunes, in my opinion and as someone who considers the 1966 Wonderful a special song.

Some said having the Fat Boys rap with the Beach Boys was ballsy too, so...  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

I remember listening to Wonderbill with my former girlfriend once. She was kind of staring blandly during the Wonderful part, and when the Bill part came on she smiled and began rocking her head. Now I stared at her in disbelief - she really liked that part that was to so uninteresting to me because in my mind any garage band could come up with that.

(Obviously, I won't go looking for the Flame LP... Grin)

So will you be wearing diapers just in case? Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »

I'll line my underwear with really expensive things that would be ruined by my shitting on them, just because I know it's never gonna happen.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx