gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:48:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wonderbill - I Hate It!  (Read 10727 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:55 AM »

The title alone makes me feel sore. One of Mike's inane jokes. Then: the song. The first half is glorious. Then it segues into a plodding, completely uninteresting, er.... what? An attempt at blues rock à la The Flame? Anyway, then everything nice that I got from the first part dwindles away, and I feel a heavy weight on my stomach.

Criminal. People have killed for less.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
rogerlancelot
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:07:25 AM »

Should have been left best as 2 separate songs. Notice they didn't perform them as a medley for very long anyway? Just some '72 shows and maybe to promote the never-to-be '72 SMiLE. "Won't you hold on today?" indeed! Who is Bill by the way?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:08:42 AM »

Wasn't the 2nd half a cover of something?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:14:56 AM »

Matter of taste I guess. I love it, even if the pairing is a bit odd. But then again, I love the Flame album as well. And guess where the "Don't Worry, Bill"-part of this medley came from? (and I assume Heartical D. knows that "Don't Worry, Bill" is a Flame track)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:17:27 AM »

I like Wonderbill, just not the name. Blondies vocals are, as usual, pretty awesome. Kind of annoyed Mike doesn't do the 'Whitealbum' esque bass vocals on it though.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:19:11 AM »

Matter of taste I guess. I love it, even if the pairing is a bit odd. But then again, I love the Flame album as well. And guess where the "Don't Worry, Bill"-part of this medley came from? (and I assume Heartical D. knows that "Don't Worry, Bill" is a Flame track)

I think loving the Flame is crucial here. I don't love them. Not that they were bad musicians, mind. But there are styles that I can't listen to. Endless southern boogie jams are an example. If they contain a drum solo, I start to think about suicide.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »

I think loving the Flame is crucial here. I don't love them. Not that they were bad musicians, mind. But there are styles that I can't listen to. Endless southern boogie jams are an example. If they contain a drum solo, I start to think about suicide.

You know... by quoting my reply you accidentally also quoted the (slightly altered) title from that reply....  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »

You know... by quoting my reply you accidentally also quoted the (slightly altered) title from that reply....  Grin

Weird. I must be going bonkers, or Korsakov is setting in, finally. I don't get your remark. Please enlighten me... and if it's too embarrassing, PM... Embarrassed

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:25:17 AM »

subject went from "I Hate it" to "I Love it".

Don't forget the thiamine to stave off the Wernicke-Korsakoff
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 05:26:37 AM »

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:52:57 AM »

LOL Wonderb... I mean: Wonderful!

rogerlancelot
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »

I'll take "Wonderbill" over ANY live rendition of "Barbara Ann" ANYDAY! I want to strangle that song.....
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »

I'll take "Wonderbill" over ANY live rendition of "Barbara Ann" ANYDAY! I want to strangle that song.....

LOL In Holland, it was a long-running soundtrack for a TV ad promoting toilet paper. True.

busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 08:55:36 AM »

If you haven't listened to "Don't Worry Bill," you should really give it a try.  The portion of it in "Wonderbill" really gives no hint of what a sensational, scorching-awesome song it is.  It is in no way an "endless Southern boogie jam."  I don't like those, either, whatever they are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTpm3iD7rkg

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 09:10:22 AM »

If you haven't listened to "Don't Worry Bill," you should really give it a try.  The portion of it in "Wonderbill" really gives no hint of what a sensational, scorching-awesome song it is.  It is in no way an "endless Southern boogie jam."  I don't like those, either, whatever they are!

Hmmm... thanks!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »

Still, to hear wonderful, albeit interrupted, and then Don'T Worry Bill, is a different experience. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Hx09cCzH8&feature=related 

and going there led me to a radio ad I hadn't heard( there's probably only about 3000 I haven't heard... 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »

Don do you not own "The Flame" album? Hang your head in shame.Listen to Summer In Paradise 12 times in a row as punishment.  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »

Don do you not own "The Flame" album? Hang your head in shame.Listen to Summer In Paradise 12 times in a row as punishment.  Grin

The whole album? 
they'll have to lock him in the psycho ward after a trip like that...

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 09:50:23 AM »

AGD did it 3 times. I highly doubt he's ever been the same since.....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »

Oh dear...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »

AGD did it 3 times. I highly doubt he's ever been the same since.....

12 times in a row, X 3? 
Sounds like he might have cried( like the crow) for your sins

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »

Life without parole seems a better option.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »

that would be letting you off easy.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »

that would be letting you off easy.

LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »

If "Wonder-Bill" was an indication of what they were planning to do with the Smile project remnants around that time, or just a novel experiment, I'm glad it never went beyond that song. The stripped-down version of Wonderful that appeared on the box set is beyond comparison, simply beautiful, and to graft another band's song onto it after the fact...again I'll say I'm glad they never messed with that idea again.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx