gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:21:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys in Czechoslovakia 1969  (Read 8649 times)
Aaron Sunchymes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »

I guess most of us have seen the footage on the American Band video of the boys
playing in Prague in 1969. Considering this was after the Soviet Invasion I find it amazing it ever happened. There was a strong beat and even a psychedelic scene in czechoslovakia upto and including the Prague spring but after this many of the bands toned down their acts for fear of repercussions. To me this makes it even more amazing that the boys were allowed to play. I am thinking of doing an article on this and would be grateful for any information or links you may be aware of. Would also be good to see the full footage of the gig in Prague. Indeed from the clips on the video they really sounded on form!

Cheers

Aaron
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »

I would love to see such an article. I don't know very much about the concerts. Even a complete setlist would be cool.

This is just what I've found on the web after searching with google.

About a band from Czechoslovakia (I didn't know that Dubcek was in the audience):

The Beach Boys played an historic concert at Lucerna Hall in Prague in May of 1969 and dedicated their song "Breaking Away" to recently replaced Prague Spring reformer Dubcek who sat in the audience.
http://www.furious.com/perfect/pulnoc.html

This is a book by someone who lived in Czechoslovakia during that time and he also talks about the BBs.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2007-08-27-sis-review_N.htm

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »

I am surprised you didn't about that-since the footage in American Band-shows Mike dedicating the song to him.  We have updated concert info on that tour in Bellagio Gigs/sessions 1969 http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs.html  -There were a number of errors by Keith Badman in his book, but we have fixed them in our listings.  There was of course no Budapest show by the way.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »

I am thinking of doing an article on this and would be grateful for any information or links you may be aware of.

Aaron

This could be a subject very few people could help in detail with so I would be tempted to contact Bruce through the Britain site or Stephen Desper through this sites honored guest section. It may be something they would be interested in discussing. You never know. Others here may be able to pass on your request for you also.

Good luck. It would be a good story!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 03:06:54 AM »

I am surprised you didn't about that-since the footage in American Band-shows Mike dedicating the song to him. 

Of course I heard him dedicate it to Dubcek, but never could really understand what he said after that. That and one scene in "Endless harmony" (Desper saying something about "Mike cussing the....") are some of the few things in the documentaries that I couldn't make out. English is not my first language, you know...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »

From memory its 'Mike cussing him out'.
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »

Is that the same show where Mike the Lecher picks out a young nubile in the crowd and waltzes off with her? LOL
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »

'twas the done thing.
Aaron Sunchymes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »

Hi guys

Thank for your responses. Mark has kindly e-mailed me Steve Desper's account which
was in an issue of Beach Boys Australia:

The concert was held in an old opera hall (Lucerna) which was designed decades before rock was even thought of. Steve said that the acoustics were shocking and that the sound system had been damaged on the trip to Prague, so a 24 V power supply was desperately needed for the show. The Czech representative was asked to get the batteries and 20 minutes before the show two tank batteries were carried in by eight members of the army! These batteries (as Steve says) would have powered the humble old sound equipment for two years!

The hall was already packed with people and no one was able to sit. Therefore, everyone had to wait for hours standing. When The Beach Boys finally did appear on stage, the crowd went berserk and the poor old band members could not hear the fold back speakers. Steve had the system on full (showing +3 saturation), but they still could not hear the speakers. When he pressed his headphones to his ears he could hear Mike Love screaming into the microphone over the noise, "you mother f***ing Commies; you mother f***ing reds... bastards”... etc. Fortunately, Mike’s outbursts were not heard by the KGB guards.

The air was stale and 99% humid due to all the people and yet the concert was probably the most uplifting of The Beach Boys career. Each member was duly impressed by the performance and crowd reaction. Amusingly, each Beach boy had to sign documents stating that they would not run off with any girls; rather unfortunate considering the hotel was luxurious and full of double beds!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »

Can't think why Mike's job application to the State Department was turned down...
Jason
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »

The idea of the authorities trying to tell Dennis Wilson that he couldn't "run off with any girls" is laughable at best. Dennis would have taken on the entire Red Army given the chance...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »

As long as they were wearing skirts.
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:07:51 AM »

I was the person who gave Ian the correct information for the Czechoslovakian shows.

For the past year and a half I have been researching this ‘tour’ and have spoken to many people who were either connected with, or attendees at, these concerts... In the (near) future I plan to compile their stories / my interviews into some kind of magazine article including illustrations of some of the memorabilia which I either have in my collection or have been loaned with permission to use. Before that though I still have several people who I would like to contact and speak to...

The piece mentioned in this thread above, - that which appeared in Beach Boys Australia, I have not seen before, (acquiring ‘western’ accounts/articles can be more problematic for me), and obviously within the scope of my research I too would like to read the full article if the same Mark or anyone else would be kind enough to oblige  in my case also...?!

S pozdravem z České Republiky,

(Greetings from Czech Republic),

mrski
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »

When he pressed his headphones to his ears he could hear Mike Love screaming into the microphone over the noise, "you mother f***ing Commies; you mother f***ing reds... bastards”... etc. Fortunately, Mike’s outbursts were not heard by the KGB guards.

Grin Grin Grin

Thanks guys for this thread !  Cheesy

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »

For the past year and a half I have been researching this ‘tour’ and have spoken to many people who were either connected with, or attendees at, these concerts... In the (near) future I plan to compile their stories / my interviews into some kind of magazine article including illustrations of some of the memorabilia which I either have in my collection or have been loaned with permission to use. Before that though I still have several people who I would like to contact and speak to...

mrski

Whenever you need to talk to me, just let me know...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »

Aaron

Stephen Desper is back posting under the honored guest section after several months away.
Aaron Sunchymes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 05:58:07 AM »

This book could be useful. Written by The Beach Boys' tour guide whilst they were there...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »

Allright

This is a book by someone who lived in Czechoslovakia during that time and he also talks about the BBs.

Cool Guy

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »

http://danmeth.com/post/73805133/the-chronicles-of-kelv-the-beach-boys-in-1970

THE CHRONICLES OF KELV: The Beach Boys

In 1970, the Beach Boys arrived in Kelv to play a controversial concert at the Bladovak Opera House. Their intention was to bring a message of rebellion against the oppressive Perpendikulon government.

Unfortunately less that 1% of the Kelvic population understands English. The political lyrics of their song “Breakaway” were met by an uncomprehending audience.

The Beach Boys’ visit only deteriorated after the concert. Drummer Dennis Wilson tried to surf in the sea of Kyuuth and was mildly poisoned by the magnesium-filled waters. Singer Mike Love was involved in three separate street-fights. They were all so shaken by the strange things they saw in Kelv (especially leader Brian Wilson) that their demise as a band and as individuals is widely regarded as a direct result of the tour.

*** Musician John Crave wrote a song about this event. Click here to hear it.

- Jack Rieley
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »

In 1970, the Beach Boys arrived in Kelv to play a controversial concert at the Bladovak Opera House. Their intention was to bring a message of rebellion against the oppressive Perpendikulon government.

Unfortunately less that 1% of the Kelvic population understands English. The political lyrics of their song “Breakaway” were met by an uncomprehending audience.

The Beach Boys’ visit only deteriorated after the concert. Drummer Dennis Wilson tried to surf in the sea of Kyuuth and was mildly poisoned by the magnesium-filled waters. Singer Mike Love was involved in three separate street-fights. They were all so shaken by the strange things they saw in Kelv (especially leader Brian Wilson) that their demise as a band and as individuals is widely regarded as a direct result of the tour.

Pictured from left to right, Brian Wilson, Jesus H. Christ, David Soul, Bill Pullman, Charles Bronson, and Zach Galifianakis.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »

Pictured from left to right, Brian Wilson, Jesus H. Christ, David Soul, Bill Pullman, Charles Bronson, and Zach Galifianakis.

LOL

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »

Yeah! I was thinking Bronson the minute I saw the picture; tho, when I looked I wasn't sure whether I was seeing Brian or Rosie O'Donnell

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:49 AM »

I've seen worse drawings to be honest...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 05:04:22 AM »

I was the person who gave Ian the correct information for the Czechoslovakian shows.

The piece mentioned in this thread above, - that which appeared in Beach Boys Australia, I have not seen before, (acquiring ‘western’ accounts/articles can be more problematic for me), and obviously within the scope of my research I too would like to read the full article if the same Mark or anyone else would be kind enough to oblige  in my case also...?!

mrski

Ja jsem taky v cesko. Myslel jsem ze ja jsem jediny fanouscek v cele zeme!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 05:08:53 AM »

Brian who ??

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx