gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:29:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126064 times)
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »

It's a part of the story, just as much as Mike Love's Radio Shack releases are. I still find it incredible that the same group that put out "God Only Knows" also put out "Island Fever."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

I still find it incredible that the same group that put out "God Only Knows" also put out "Island Fever."

In 1966, perhaps the group was closer to "Island Fever" than "God Only Knows"; we just didn't/don't want to admit it. You know, there is an obvious reason for the disparity: "God Only Knows"/Pet Sounds = all Brian Wilson  "Island Fever"/Summer In Paradise = no Brian Wilson.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »

There are worse albums.

In some regards, I prefer it to BB85. Fuller production, certainly. There are also a couple of quite decent songs. But someone is going to take away my BW credentials if I say more.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »

There are worse albums.

In some regards, I prefer it to BB85. Fuller production, certainly. There are also a couple of quite decent songs. But someone is going to take away my BW credentials if I say more.

Are you feeling OK, claymcc? Doctor!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »

I quite like the live version of SIP that was on a compilation album in the late 90s -- Bruce takes a verse and it's all much faster.

And there is no guiltier pleasure in the BB canon than "Summer of Love" -- a song so dreadful, so wretched, so vile in every respect that you can't help but enjoy it. In the great Beach Boy rap-off of 1992, it nudges out "Smart Girls" simply because Mike knew full well what he was doing. He's certainly never sounded more lecherous.

BB85 tries so hard to be respectable that you miss the band being tasteless and bizarre.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:57:39 PM by claymcc » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »

If you remove "Summer Of Love", just that one song, and add 3-4 Brian Wilson songs circa 1990-1991, along with one Carl Wilson-penned song and  one Al Jardine- penned song, you'd have a pretty decent album. It coulda been a contender, it coulda been somebody....
Wilsonista
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »

I quite like the live version of SIP that was on a compilation album in the late 90s -- Bruce takes a verse and it's all much faster.

And there is no guiltier pleasure in the BB canon than "Summer of Love" -- a song so dreadful, so wretched, so vile in every respect that you can't help but enjoy it. In the great Beach Boy rap-off of 1992, it nudges out "Smart Girls" simply because Mike knew full well what he was doing. He's certainly never sounded more lecherous.

BB85 tries so hard to be respectable that you miss the band being tasteless and bizarre.

I might have to pull out SIP and give it aother listen...

I generally play it once a year just to see if anything connects with me.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »

That's what I was thinking. But unless I'm mistaken, I listened once this year already and reaffirmed my (unfavorable) judgment. Hmm ... I don't know if I'm drunk enough to show it mercy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »

Mike's background part on Remember Walking in the Sand is also pretty damn hilarious -- there's a part where it sounds like he has a clothespin on his nose. And it's catchy!

Y'see, I think SIP is fascinating in that it shows where Mike's true talents -- and shortcomings -- are. He can actually construct decent hooks for songs -- as he did for Brian -- but the songs themselves are the problematic part. SIP is littered with these silly, tacky, yet kinda cool Mike touches.

None of this means the album is actually good by any conventional definition. Yet it has its moments.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2008, 06:41:01 AM »

the only thing i liked about this cd , well outside carl's singing, was from a night in 1993. i went to a local bar that evening...had about 20 beers or so over an 8 hour period. feeling reallllllllly good. i was living in ashland, ky. around 2am in the morning, i then took the cd, walked out on the bridge that crosses the ohio river into ohio, got half way across. making d.amn sure i didn't fall off the bridge in my "elevated" mood i flung that cd as far as i could off the bridge. had a huge smile on my face until i saw that a tug boat with a lot of barges of coal was passing under the bridge below me. never will know if that d.a.mn cd made it to the water or landed on a barge. i like to think it hit the water though. that memory is what comes to my mind when someone mentions this cd to me...  Grin

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »

the only thing i liked about this cd , well outside carl's singing, was from a night in 1993. i went to a local bar that evening...had about 20 beers or so over an 8 hour period. feeling reallllllllly good. i was living in ashland, ky. around 2am in the morning, i then took the cd, walked out on the bridge that crosses the ohio river into ohio, got half way across. making d.amn sure i didn't fall off the bridge in my "elevated" mood i flung that cd as far as i could off the bridge. had a huge smile on my face until i saw that a tug boat with a lot of barges of coal was passing under the bridge below me. never will know if that d.a.mn cd made it to the water or landed on a barge. i like to think it hit the water though. that memory is what comes to my mind when someone mentions this cd to me...  Grin
That's a fantastic story.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »

Did you throw the CD - with case - into he river? Mike Love would've wanted it that way; the Eco-Pak case is meant to be recycled...

I read somewhere that Summer In Paradise is bringing a high(er) price on Ebay and Amazon.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2008, 08:54:19 AM »

I read somewhere that Summer In Paradise is bringing a high(er) price on Ebay and Amazon.

I payed somewhere in the region of $20 (Australian dollars) on eBay for this crappy CD. Undecided The only reason for it was that it was the only Beach Boys album that I didn't have
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:55:45 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2008, 09:15:55 AM »

I probably would like Summer in Paradise a lot less if I had paid for it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:48 AM »

I probably would like Summer in Paradise a lot less if I had paid for it.

You don't happen to live near the beach, right off the Ohio River, do ya?

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »

Haha, no. I don't actually have a hard copy of the CD, I found it online somewhere. Still Cruisin', too. Then I burned my own two-fer. It was the only CD I had in my car for an entire summer driving an hour back and forth to work every day and then two and a half hours to the shore on the weekends. That was also the year the air conditioning in my car was broken.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »

Carl Wilson trapped in robo-surf mechanoid anecdote nightmare.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2008, 01:34:17 AM »

Best review I've ever read of SIP.  Cheesy
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2008, 05:58:17 AM »

Best review I've ever read of SIP.  Cheesy

Seconded  Grin there should have been a sticker on the cover just stating that, analogue to: 'Smoking Can Render You Impotent'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »

Screw SMiLE! This is the greatest album of all time!!!!

(joking LOL)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2009, 04:05:45 AM »

I gave it a 4!
I like the live version of Summer In Paradise more than the album version, it has a not this overproduced sound and Bruce make a good job singing his part Azn
I also like Island Fever, Lahaina Aloha, Under The Boardwalk a lot.
Strange Things Happen and Still Surfin' are great tunes as well, what I don't like is that overproduced Pro Tools sound. It would have been much better with real drums and the Beach Boys playing the instruments.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »

I gave this a one for Strange Things Happen, because it isn't such a bad tune...otherwise...
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2009, 07:05:38 PM »

Alright, here we go with my review of this one.  Thanks to Lahaina Aloha, each album has at least one I quite like.  It's a fairly weak effort but for the most part inoffensive.  If it's on in the background it wouldn't bother me at all to hear it (though it's quite a rough patch near the beginning).  Keep in mind that for the best albums pretty much all the songs are 4.5s and 5s.  When I'm rating I tend to base it on any kind of music, not just by Beach Boys standards. Wink

Hot Fun in the Summertime - 3/5
Surfin' - 1.5/5
Summer of Love - 1/5
Island Fever - 2/5
Still Surfin' - 3/5
Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night) - 3.5/5
Strange Things Happen - 4/5
Remember (Walking in the Sand) - 2.5/5
Lahaina Aloha - 4.5/5
Under the Boardwalk - 2.5/5
Summer in Paradise - 3/5
Forever - 3/5

That's an average of 2.83.  That's my lowest rating on here so far, but it rounds to a 3 so I guess that puts it along the lines of MIU and LA of the ones I've rated on here so far.  Comparing it to those I'm not sure is fair.  MIU is more even I feel and LA has more highs than either.
Paulos
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »

Awful album, what annoys me most about this album is that it cost me the same amount that I paid for the Pet Sounds Box Set, unbelievable.
Phil H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »

Awful album, what annoys me most about this album is that it cost me the same amount that I paid for the Pet Sounds Box Set, unbelievable.

I had a similar experience, having paid a small fortune for the rehashed UK version on eBay. I'd bought the brilliantly packaged US 'digipak' version when it first came out, but when the 'jewel case' UK version made the shelves (well I only ever saw one copy), I left it alone because the track listing was identical and there was no indication that some of the tracks had even been re-recorded. It was only years later I realised it was actually different. Incidentally, in my opinion, the Beach Boys made a poor album even worse with their meddling on the UK version. The new version of "Island Fever" has to be one of the best examples of how "not to" improve a track in the history of making music. The line "Doctor, doctor, what's your prescription?" never fails to make me cringe.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx