gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:21:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126120 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2006, 08:57:36 AM »

So... you're saying Terry was lying about the production royalty checks he got for the album ? Plus, remember that the album was 'distributed' by Navarre, who went out of business shortly thereafter. And that in 1992, The Beach Boys were at a career low.

I'm not saying he was lying, maybe he was just exagurating, to make clear that it did really bad.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »

I especially dislike the lead guitar. Why, Carl, why?!

Why are you asking someone who didn't play a single guitar note on the album ?

The "Why, Carl, why?!" is not questioning the guitar specifically, though I see how it could be interpreted that way. I just don't understand how he could've participated in this album at all. I had more respect for Carl before I heard Summer in Paradise.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2007, 05:32:21 AM »

The "Why, Carl, why?!" is not questioning the guitar specifically, though I see how it could be interpreted that way. I just don't understand how he could've participated in this album at all. I had more respect for Carl before I heard Summer in Paradise.

Well, I don't think Carl's solo albums are that much better than SIP...
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »

Maybe I wasn't alive to see the Beach Boys in their heyday but I am very familiar with their entire catalog and this is for the most part is the last album they really ever did. It doesn't make any fucking sense to me how so many supposed Beach Boys fans can be so critical; yeah this album isn't essential and yeah there was no involvement from Brian Wilson but it's still a Beach Boys album. Now to be completly honest this album does suck compared to any album they did from '62 through '72, and yes albums that followed that weren't so strong but they were still decent. Summer In Paradise as a whole wasn't much of a comeback and it would have helped greatly if Brian was involved but as a Beach Boys fan I still like the album, maybe it's not something I can really explain in detail but I guess that's just something for me to know...
(www.myspace.com/adams)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2007, 09:39:55 AM »

Well, this 'supposed BB fan' is being critical because, frankly, it's not very good. The material's well iffy and the production is best described as 'brittle'.

Just because it's by The Beach Boys (or Brian Wilson) doesn't automatically make it unimpeachable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »

Well, I don't think Carl's solo albums are that much better than SIP...

I actually feel they're worse.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2007, 08:04:49 AM »

Carl Wilson, the first album is pretty good. Dont know why theres so much hate for it. Take out a few of the lackluster tracks and you get a pretty solid album. Heaven really ties it together...I wonder what it would sound like if he added the Beach Boys harmony on it...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »

Carl Wilson, the first album is pretty good. Dont know why theres so much hate for it. Take out a few of the lackluster tracks and you get a pretty solid album. Heaven really ties it together...I wonder what it would sound like if he added the Beach Boys harmony on it...

It has just eight tracks, if you'd take away the boring ones you'd have an EP or a single. It takes more than just a great voice to make a good album. The song material on CW sounds totally uninspired.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2007, 09:59:30 AM »

Hold Me
Bright Lights
What You Gonna Do About Me
Hurry Love
Heaven

Perhaps an EP would have been a better idea, or maybe he couldve worked some other songs for this. Then again, I wonder why he didnt consider using some of these songs for the BB (besides wanting to try a solo record and all that jazz)...I think some of these couldve stood out even more with some Beach Boy love...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:24:20 AM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Guy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2007, 06:43:37 AM »

I found SIP in a record store iN Malacca, Malaysia december 2005. Of all places... I bought it out of pity, as it must have been in that store for over 12 years and nobody wanted it. I haven't been able to listen through one single song sincen then, though.

I'm not sure if it's the American or the European version, what are the differences in packaging? Those 5 remixed songs; were they just remixed, or also (partly) re-recorded?
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »

I found SIP in a record store iN Malacca, Malaysia december 2005. Of all places... I bought it out of pity, as it must have been in that store for over 12 years and nobody wanted it. I haven't been able to listen through one single song sincen then, though.

I'm not sure if it's the American or the European version, what are the differences in packaging? Those 5 remixed songs; were they just remixed, or also (partly) re-recorded?

The original US version had the lovely tri-fold sleeve in a special plastic housing, whilst the European version simply had a section of the inner painting trimmed down, chopped up and generally botched ... open it up and the three images don't even join together ! Check out www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com for a full resume of the artwork ...
The 'new' songs were partly remixed AND partly re-recorded (for example "Island Fever" has a complete new vocal section added, whilst "Strange Things Happen" is edited - despite the sleeve timings being copied word for word) ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2007, 05:57:10 AM »

The US version has the underwater picture with the whale on the front cover, the UK version is the one with the American flag and the dolphins jumping out of the water.

I believe Island Fever and Summer In Paradise were completely re-recorded, the others were remixed/re-edited.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »

In addition, the Euro Under the Boardwalk features the Al Jardine bridge, not present on the US version.  island Fever was completely remade, adding a jardine vocal to the chorus. Also, for whatever reason Carl was erased  from the bgv's on the verse (replaced by Christian Love?) while rerecording a different vocal (from the original US release) for the chorus. Makes no sense.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Daniel Dolphin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2007, 07:35:39 AM »

I accepted it quite well when i first bought it back in 1992. Carl's voice was the saving grace of course but i've later found out that Terry Melcher mimicks his voice on a lot of the songs which cooled down my appreciation a lot. It's a bit similiar to  the Paul Revere and the raiders albums from mid 60:s when one can hear a lot of melcher stacked backup vocals behind Mark Lindsay. Mark is much cooler of course......
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

So I made my monthly trip to the used cd store today and what do I find in the BB section?  A copy of Bummer in Paradise for $4.95!!!  SOLD!!!  It is just as bad as everyone makes it out to be and Summer of Love might just be the worst song I have ever heardin my entire life.  Thanks a lot for that one Mike! 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »

I accepted it quite well when i first bought it back in 1992. Carl's voice was the saving grace of course but i've later found out that Terry Melcher mimicks his voice on a lot of the songs which cooled down my appreciation a lot. It's a bit similiar to  the Paul Revere and the raiders albums from mid 60:s when one can hear a lot of melcher stacked backup vocals behind Mark Lindsay. Mark is much cooler of course......
Oh no, not on this one, too! Where are you getting this information?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2007, 11:55:41 PM »

Oh no, not on this one, too! Where are you getting this information?

Well if what this Daniel Dolphin guy is saying is true, then how can we be sure its Carl on God Only Knows or Good Vibrations or any of Carls vocals? Wink
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:59:09 PM by mikeyj » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »

It's Melcher and/or Christian Love covering Carl's vocals on the Euro version on Island Fever in the  verses, and if you can't hear the difference between them on that track and Carl on the American track then you're simply deaf.  As I stated earlier in this thread, Carl re-recorded a new chorus for the euro version, but had his vocals erased from the verses and replaced by Melcher or C. Love for no explainable reason. As a result, the chorus of the euro version is superior while the verses stink.   Why would you replace Carl with a non-Beach Boy, particularly since he had already recorded the part and it could simply be transferred from the American version ?  Makes no sense and a worse song.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2007, 07:34:32 PM »

I have the US version and we get alot of mileage out of it, particularly Under the Boardwalk, Lahaina Aloha, Strange Things Happen and Still Surfin.  Carl is smooth as always and Al has a couple of real powerhouse vocals throughout.  Even Mike has a cupla "not so nasal-y" moments - oh yeah, and God bless Bruce.

Sure the lyrics are wanting and the electronic drum machine is irritating but a poor BB album is better than no BB album, in my opinion anyway.  I prefer SIP easily to 15 Big Ones and  several solo albums at that...

Can someone please specify which songs were remixed for the UK version and detail the changes? 

Thanks!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:21 AM »

This album really isn't all bad. As Nighthider said, I think Lahaina Aloha and Still Surfin' are nice little songs. They don't blow me outta the water, but they have a nice feel to them.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2007, 07:09:37 AM »

i know a place were to download the europe version for free. PM for the adres. I for instance like both versions as i have them both.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2007, 12:17:01 AM »

It's actually a stellar effort considering Brian wasn't involved at all.  One thing that really turns on here is the fact there seemed to be more time and focus given to the guitar parts which gave their sound a more updated, mainstream feel.  I think it was a great direction for them at the time. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »

I gave this album a 1, the reason being for Carl's beautiful vocals in particular, but generally this album is pretty bad. Someone mentioned that they prefer this over 15BO. I would much rather take 15 Big Ones (or any Beach Boys album) over this ANY day. I mean 15 Big Ones has some really nice songs (eg: Had To Phone Ya) along with some pretty crappy songs (eg: TM Song) but it still beats this album by a fair distance in my opinion because I generally like that album (okay it was the worst release up till that point and probably the 3rd worst album by the band but I still find it listenable whereas this album suffers from OVERLY poor production and just generally no creativity and very little that is pleasing to these ears.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:37:06 AM by mikeyj » Logged
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »

I love hearing people talk about this album. Nothing gives me more joy. It's just crazy what this album brings out in people.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2008, 05:53:12 AM »

I was way too critical of this when I first reviewed it.

Or maybe that was before my love for everything Beach Boys hindered my ability to look at anything objectively.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx