gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:40:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126067 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »

I honestly don't think is ALL bad... I like Hot Fun In The Summertime, Still Surfin, Island Fever, Strange Things Happen, and the title track. The production is pretty bad, but the songs aren't all that bad--- EXCEPT SUMMER OF LOVE---- EEEEEEWWWWWW its so creeepy!!!!!!!!!!!!  I also don't like the Surfin remake, even though I love the original 1961 version, and the version with Jan & Dean even more! Anyway, the production is crappy, but the songs and singing are good on the songs I mentioned above.
KDS
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2017, 05:45:25 AM »

I honestly don't think is ALL bad... I like Hot Fun In The Summertime, Still Surfin, Island Fever, Strange Things Happen, and the title track. The production is pretty bad, but the songs aren't all that bad--- EXCEPT SUMMER OF LOVE---- EEEEEEWWWWWW its so creeepy!!!!!!!!!!!!  I also don't like the Surfin remake, even though I love the original 1961 version, and the version with Jan & Dean even more! Anyway, the production is crappy, but the songs and singing are good on the songs I mentioned above.

I agree.  I think the album gets a bad reputation because of the awful production.   And the fact that four songs are almost unlistenable - Surfin 92 and Summer of Love (as you mentioned) as well as the horrid covers of Remember Walking in the Sand (which Andrew Doe called possibly the worst cover of all time) and Under the Boardwalk. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:50 AM »

Possibly the worst, most embarrassing album ever recorded by a well-known band. Lahaina Aloha is the only decent thing on it.
KDS
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2017, 05:20:20 AM »

Possibly the worst, most embarrassing album ever recorded by a well-known band. Lahaina Aloha is the only decent thing on it.

Ever hear Metallica's St Anger album? 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 05, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »

Not yet!
KDS
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2017, 06:10:33 AM »

Not yet!

As a fan, I bought it when it was released in 2003, and it might be the toughest listen I've ever had to any album of a band that I like.  Outside of a few riffs, there is almost no redeeming quality on it. 

SIP at least had 4-6 tracks I like enough to look past the awful production. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »

There are some really great songs on here, and the worst part of the production is the LOUD SNARE!!!! On Bruce's song the intro always scares the sh*t out of me, cause that snare is so fricken loud!!!!!
KDS
« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2017, 05:31:00 AM »

There are some really great songs on here, and the worst part of the production is the LOUD SNARE!!!! On Bruce's song the intro always scares the sh*t out of me, cause that snare is so fricken loud!!!!!

I agree.   For a band that spent their golden years perfecting their craft in the studio, the last 25 years sure have seen some questionable studio production. 
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »

Not a good album or time in the BB world but 'Still Surfin' is a great song. Wish I knew who did the falsetto. Obviously not a Beach Boy. Was it Adrian Baker?
I give it a 2 based on that awesome song. Everything else on this is awful.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »

Not a good album or time in the BB world but 'Still Surfin' is a great song. Wish I knew who did the falsetto. Obviously not a Beach Boy. Was it Adrian Baker?
I give it a 2 based on that awesome song. Everything else on this is awful.

According to wikipedia Adrian Baker sang backup vocals, but not the other regular members of the (then) current Beach Boys' touring band.
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 03, 2018, 06:05:37 PM »

Jeezus F'n Christ, this is not a great album  but it doesn't deserve the lambasting it gets just to look cool to other Beach Boys fans. I find it to be a pleasant album. I only have it on cassette and I've always enjoyed a lot of it and LOVE "Slow Summer Dancing", "Strange Things Happen" (rousing chord changes on the chorus along with Al's marvelous voice"), and I also love the cover of "Hot Fun In The Summertime" PLUS I find the remake of Surfin' happy and fun. I was 22 when I bought this cassette and love playing it still yet on my walks on one of my Sony Walkman's...Play it on the cassette player and Monster headphones at work....and play it on the big tape machine on my home stereo. And the production of the album doesn't offend me at all. I like the 'color' the production and mix has. Nice bright sound to it....
Oh...I also love the Bon Jovi-ish AOR treatment to "Forever" on this album. Being a child of the 80s that melodic arena rock style was a big part of my youth and always found it beautiful.
I'm also the guy who posted a love of the self-titled album from 1985. Both albums have given me a lot of happiness over the years.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:39:19 PM by Smelly Smell » Logged

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx