gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:11:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126106 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2016, 05:34:46 AM »

actually I think, it's not that the material is all that bad, but I understand why people don't 'get it'.  It's the production and arrangements that are highly uninventive, or shall we say, the lack of the Brian Wilson ism' that graces all of the songs on the abum.  But it's 1992.
song selection good, but the lack of BW has everyone sayin it's 'crap'.  As a 11 year old when it came out, I loved the ass out of it.
Songs were catchy, vocals were great. I had no inception of production or BW inclusion or who played what in them days.
I'm glad I was young and enjoyed it at the time and not an 'old fart' claiming it's not Pet Sounds or Today or is 'not as good' as crap.
I may be alone, but I love SIP, so sue me!
bringahorseinhere?
KDS
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2016, 05:39:02 AM »

actually I think, it's not that the material is all that bad, but I understand why people don't 'get it'.  It's the production and arrangements that are highly uninventive, or shall we say, the lack of the Brian Wilson ism' that graces all of the songs on the abum.  But it's 1992.
song selection good, but the lack of BW has everyone sayin it's 'crap'.  As a 11 year old when it came out, I loved the ass out of it.
Songs were catchy, vocals were great. I had no inception of production or BW inclusion or who played what in them days.
I'm glad I was young and enjoyed it at the time and not an 'old fart' claiming it's not Pet Sounds or Today or is 'not as good' as crap.
I may be alone, but I love SIP, so sue me!
bringahorseinhere?

I will agree that the production of SIP is horrific. 

There are some tracks I like, most notably the title track and I do like the cover of Hot Fun in the Summertime. 

And call me crazy, but I like the Jessie and the Rippers version of Forever (not as much as the Dennis version, but it's still pretty good).

It's not really the lack of Brian that disappoints me about SIP.  One of my favorite BB albums is Holland, which features very little Brian. 

But Summer of Love, the rap remake of Surfin, and the covers of Remember Walking in the Sand and Under the Boardwalk (in the hands of TBB, these covers should've been great!!!) keep me from playing the full LP. 
KDS
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »

Wonder if people don't like the album what for they keep buying it? For completist's sake? Rather stupid if you ask me, it will be there to take space in shelves. Why not just download it for free? Thankfully, many sites with free music. example: You can d/l it straight from youtube.

For me, it was partly for completist sake.  Also, like I said I do enjoy some of the songs.  It's no great album, but every Beach Boys album has some positives. 

Plus, I like tangible music product.  I'll always prefer a CD over a download. 
KDS
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »

I read your review. Referred to the many posts in many threads dealing with albums they don't like yet buy.
Tangible-not tangible - it's still music. If there is chance to download it for free, no way I will miss it. If others want to support favorite musicians - good.

People enjoy music in different ways.  Some prefer vinyl.  Some prefer streaming.  Some prefer Mp3s.

I'm a CD person. 

KDS
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »

Yes, didn't I say the same, kind of? I like mp3s and variety of digital formats.
Back to topic, whose cover of Under the Boardwalk you prefer to the dire BBs'? I know The Rolling's and 80s vid of Bruce Willis singing it.

I'll stick to The Drifters original. 

When I saw The Beach Boys were doing it, I was hoping for a great, or at least good version.  Maybe even something along the lines of the BB version of California Dreaming, which I really like.  but......wow. 

I feel sort of the same way about their version of In the Still of the Night on 15 Big Ones.  Not as bad as their Under the Boardwalk, but pretty underwhelming. 
KDS
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »

Don't know the Drifters'. My favorite is the Stones version, I like Mick's voice, would be cool if he made it to setlist now.
ugh, Still of the nite is terrible. Among Dennis' worst vocals. Forget fingernails on glass.

The Drifters was a doo wop group from the 50s / early 60s.  Their version of Under the Boardwalk is the definitive one IMO.

I've never heard the Stones do it.  I'll have to check it out. 

Both Dennis's and Brian's vocals are pretty rough in the 15BO/LY era.  I think In the Still of the Night would've benefited from a Carl lead vocal. 

I'd love to hear what POB and Bambu would sound like with Dennis's late 60s / early 70s voice. 
KDS
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »

I know the Drifters, I don't their version. hence this sign '.
Rollings did it in the 60s. Mick as usual sounds great!
Carl would be nice but his voice got better in the 80s. In SIP, f.ex.
It would be interesting but for me,Pacific ocean blue is boring songs. Worst solo album with some of Mike's stuff and Imagination.

I like POB, but I have to be in the mood for it.  I do think it's a tad overrated. 

I'll definitely check out the RS version. 

I also really like Aerosmith's version of Remember Walking in the Sand (much better than the SIP version). 
KDS
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:47 AM »

Steven Tyler sang Shangri Las song? That's funny. I can see it with BBs as they are vocal group. Didn't expect rockers dig it too.

Oh yeah, and Blue Oyster Cult once did Be My Baby. 

Remember many classic rockers grew up with the doo wop style music.  It's probably one of the reasons there's a lot more melody in 60s and 70s rock than what came after. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »

It would be interesting but for me,Pacific ocean blue is boring songs. Worst solo album with some of Mike's stuff and Imagination.
The Drifters were the ones who sang the original hit version of the song. I like the way the Beach Boys handle the chorus, but the new lyrics and the verse singing is terrible. God, I hope I didn't offend a Beach Boy in the posting of this reply. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »

Speaking of covers in album, it seems to be tendency, when was the last time you checked out the record and it was strictly originals?

That would be the most recent album I own - Iron Maiden's Book of Souls. 

KDS
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »

The Drifters were the ones who sang the original hit version of the song. I like the way the Beach Boys handle the chorus, but the new lyrics and the verse singing is terrible. God, I hope I didn't offend a Beach Boy in the posting of this reply. Wink

Dr.  Because you said you didn't like the way TBB handle the chorus, or the new lyrics, you've disrespected them, and their entire 50 year recording career. 
KDS
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »

What you,guys, argued in the Sandbox, may it stay right there. This is nice place to talk SIP.
You are true iconoclast if you like soft music of BBs and metalists.

Maybe I'm missing something.  How does liking The Beach Boys and hard rock / metal bands make me iconoclastic? 
KDS
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »

Isn't iconoclast=having eclectic taste?

I suppose it could be.  I've always thought of it as anti-establishment. 

Liking softer and harder brands of rock is more common than you think, even if hard rock and heavy metal isn't discussed in very high regard on this board. 

Here are the concerts my wife and I have been to (and have tickets for) the last few years - Brian Wilson, Sebastian Bach, The Beach Boys, Ghost, Guns N Roses, Brian Wilson again. 
KDS
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »

Do you and wife like the same music, then? or smb. agrees just to keep company?

We like some of the same music, particularly The Beach Boys, even if she doesn't quite share my love for their early 70s albums. 

She may not be into the progressive rock and heavy metal I like, and I'm not into the 90s boy bands she likes, but we've found a lot of common ground with music. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »

It's possible for the BB's to make great music without Brian, as they proved in the early 70's. If they had made a true group album, with equal contributions from Carl and Al, not just a ML solo album with the BB's name on it, it could have been quite good. And yes, the artwork is nice - by far, the best thing about it. Okay, tonight's spin is going to be Stars and Stripes..... Cry
KDS
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2016, 05:12:39 AM »

It's possible for the BB's to make great music without Brian, as they proved in the early 70's. If they had made a true group album, with equal contributions from Carl and Al, not just a ML solo album with the BB's name on it, it could have been quite good. And yes, the artwork is nice - by far, the best thing about it. Okay, tonight's spin is going to be Stars and Stripes..... Cry

Even the completist in me hasn't forced me to buy Stars and Stripes. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »

Even the completist in me hasn't forced me to buy Stars and Stripes. 

I only have the cassette, found it at Value Village for 50 cents last year. I think I paid a quarter for my copy of SIP 10 years before that.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows Bruce Johnston, and that guy is offended, so that's a permanent ban buddy  police  LOL

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2017, 09:26:36 PM »

I just accidentally heard the version of Forever from this and it pissed me off even more than it did years ago. What a fucking travesty. I'm embarrassed that someone I admire as much as Carl agreed to have anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:34:45 PM by elnombre » Logged
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »

I just accidentally heard the version of Forever from this and it pissed me off even more than it did years ago. What a fucking travesty. I'm embarrassed that someone I admire as much as Carl agreed to have anything to do with it.

I feel the same way about Hot Fun in the Summertime. My blood boils when i hear that pile of horseshit.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »

i'm trying to find both the US and UK versions for a decent price.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2017, 08:43:55 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-BEACH-BOYS-SUMMER-IN-PARADISE-CD-1992-VGC-/263066481796?hash=item3d3ffbf484:g:ki8AAOSw42dZMGWg
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »

BTW a friend of mine actually worked for the distributer in Minnesota and he confirmed to me that the album actually sold 1,542 copies. I had no idea it was that dismal.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »

My first question is why in the name of Beach Balls is this $24 dollars WITH $18.24 SHIPPING??? 
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2017, 11:10:11 PM »

Because it's a much sought after album among the Beach Boys community.
It sits up along Pet Sounds, Sunflower, Holland etc etc  Rock!
hehe
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx