gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126113 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »

I actually like this album.  It isn't their best by far but it certainly is fun and highly listenable.

Tracks scored (out of 5):

1. Hot Fun In The Summertime  (3/5)
2. Surfin'  (2/5)
3. Summer Of Love  (1/5)
4. Island Fever  (4/5)
5. Still Surfin'  (4/5)
6. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)  (2/5)
7. Strange Things Happen  (5/5)
8. Remember 'Walking In The Sand'  (4/5)
9. Lahaina Aloha  (5/5)
10. Under The Boardwalk  (2/5)
11. Summer In Paradise  (5/5)
12. Forever  (4/5)

I agree, though I like Slow Summer Dancin' a bit more than you do. Al's vocals on the One Summer Night sections are excellent and really saves that track. At least a 3. Wink

Haha...I must have been changing that while you were typing!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »

To me the ludicrous Surfin' remake and the foul dirty-uncle sleaze of Summer Of Love kill the album stone dead. It's an abortion.

As one reviewer put it 'Bummer, I'm Paralyzed'
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2015, 11:18:20 AM »

I'm elated that this pile of garbage was, in fact, released as it validates what I've been saying for years.  Wall Wall Wall

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2015, 07:23:51 AM »

Oh my.  Summer in Paradise.  We're in the dregs now.  A one.

I guess my question about this album would be, who were The Beach Boys trying to target here? 

Ok, so the title track and Island Fever aren't bad. 

Summer of Love is the worst Beach Boys song in history. 

One would think that Hot Fun in the Summertime, Under the Boardwalk, and Remember Walking in the Sand are can't miss covers for The Beach Boys.  They make the covers on 15 Big Ones sound like works of art....especially Under the Boardwalk.  WOW.  OK, Hot Fun isn't terrible, but it should've been a lot better than this. 

The "rap" version of Surfin?  Why? 

You know the album is in trouble when the John Stamos, Jesse and the Rippers featuring The Beach Boys, cover of Forever is one of the highlights.

It's sad that this is the last BB album to feature Carl Wilson.  Sorry, but it says Beach Boys on the label, but I really don't consider Stars and Stripes a Beach Boys album.   It's also worth noting that, IMO, TBB worst two albums are the swam songs for Dennis (KTSA) and Carl (SIP).  Too bad the Paley record didn't work out.   

At least this didn't winp up being the final Beach Boys album. 
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2015, 05:03:08 AM »

I'd love to own a vinyl copy with that whale cover of this one. But it's not a good album. At all. Strange things happen is the only actually good song. I really like it. Summer in paradise is ok, the live version is awesome. And then Summer of love, well that's so bad that it's actually great. Especially the music video from Baywatch. Makes me laugh so hard everytime. So gotta give some respect for that. The only song I can't listen at all is Forever. I rate this album 2/5.

Hot Fun in the Summertime 2/5
Surfin' 1/5  
Summer of Love 3/5
Island Fever  2/5
Still Surfin' 2/5
Slow Summer Dancin' 2/5
Strange Things Happen 4/5
Remember (Walking in the Sand) 1/5
Lahaina Aloha 1/5
Under the Boardwalk 2/5
Summer in Paradise 3.5/5
Forever 1/5

It's funny to see what I've written about this album so "long ago". My opinions have changed quite a lot actually. But one thing remains the same: John Stamos' Forever is a disgrace. Why the hell did they put that awful piece of crap on this album? I've actually started to like songs like Surfin' and Summer of Love a lot more now. They're great to listen while driving. Slow Summer Dancin' and Lahaina Aloha have become my favorites. Nonetheless it's a great album to listen in your car. Give it a new try with an open mind, you might change your opinion towards it.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »

I'd love to own a vinyl copy with that whale cover of this one. But it's not a good album. At all. Strange things happen is the only actually good song. I really like it. Summer in paradise is ok, the live version is awesome. And then Summer of love, well that's so bad that it's actually great. Especially the music video from Baywatch. Makes me laugh so hard everytime. So gotta give some respect for that. The only song I can't listen at all is Forever. I rate this album 2/5.

Hot Fun in the Summertime 2/5
Surfin' 1/5  
Summer of Love 3/5
Island Fever  2/5
Still Surfin' 2/5
Slow Summer Dancin' 2/5
Strange Things Happen 4/5
Remember (Walking in the Sand) 1/5
Lahaina Aloha 1/5
Under the Boardwalk 2/5
Summer in Paradise 3.5/5
Forever 1/5

It's funny to see what I've written about this album so "long ago". My opinions have changed quite a lot actually. But one thing remains the same: John Stamos' Forever is a disgrace. Why the hell did they put that awful piece of crap on this album? I've actually started to like songs like Surfin' and Summer of Love a lot more now. They're great to listen while driving.

At full speed into a brick wall while cackling maniacally?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 09, 2015, 03:02:30 AM »

Seeing as I spent a great deal of time writing about it yesterday I may as well give my thoughts on the tracks.

Hot Fun in the Summertime - an ok cover of an ok song. Nothing more, nothing less.
Surfin' - OK, so it totally lacks the charm of the original but the vocals save it somewhat.
Summer of Love - Cheese factor up to 11, it's so bad it actually becomes an entertaining listen.
Island Fever - Kokomo pt79. A lesser rewrite of it's much more famous cousin.
Still Surfin' - plastic production values aside, it's not that bad.
Slow Summer Dancin - the album's highlight for me. Again, overlooking the production, a very nice song.
Strange Things Happen - another very good track. Love the extended coda.
Remember (Walking in the Sand) - yeah, I'll admit this is pure crap.
Lahaina Aloha - another fairly good song with great Carl vocals.
Under the Boardwalk - I'm not sure how you could balls up this classic but somehow the guys manage to.
Summer in Paradise - apart from some of the 'save the rainforrest era' lyrics this is another song I rather like.
Forever - ................ yeah there's no defending this.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »

I've actually started to like songs like Surfin' and Summer of Love a lot more now. They're great to listen while driving.

Get out. Just...get the hell outta here, man.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2015, 02:37:10 AM »

>Parks says: 'S.I.P. ?

Alas, a Love-Vol. as (á

la) pissy as skrap!'<

[haiku-drome modified after Theydon Bois' palindrome (beautiful album cover artwork though!)]

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:03 AM »

I just realized the "HEY NOW"s in Summer of Love are likely a reference to Do It Again!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »

I just realized the "HEY NOW"s in Summer of Love are likely a reference to Do It Again!

A nostalgic nod to the first ever Beach Boys nostalgia song? 
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2016, 09:10:23 AM »

Pretty much, half of SIP is basically nods to older (and better) BBs songs.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
KDS
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »

Pretty much.  Maybe they're should've done the Still Cruisin thing with this one also.  Take the title track, Island Fever, Lahaina Aloha, Slow Summer Dancing, and maybe even the cover of Hot Fun in the Summertime, and add some odds & ends.  Then, maybe it'll be a decent album. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2016, 10:40:14 AM »

Isn't that Mike's career for the last 30 years....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »

Started with Celebration in the 70's. And with songs like It's A Beautiful Day.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »

Started with Celebration in the 70's. And with songs like It's A Beautiful Day.
you are Mr. Celebration!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »

Pretty much.  Maybe they're should've done the Still Cruisin thing with this one also.  Take the title track, Island Fever, Lahaina Aloha, Slow Summer Dancing, and maybe even the cover of Hot Fun in the Summertime, and add some odds & ends.  Then, maybe it'll be a decent album. 
The thing is, when there was demand for a new BB's album, in 1988-89, all they could come up was another compilation. If SIP had come out when SC did, it might have sold well. By 1992, Kokomo was an oldie, nobody cared.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »

I cared.  Smiley
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 27, 2016, 06:58:36 AM »

you are Mr. Celebration!

I am just trying to keep the summer in paradise alive.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
KDS
« Reply #219 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »

you are Mr. Celebration!

I am just trying to keep the summer in paradise alive.

Wow!!  Sounds like an awful hybrid album. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »

The early 90's was not a good time to be a Beach Boys fan. We got exactly one new song in 1990, Problem Child, which I liked, but the cassette single was impossible to find, and vinyl 45's were not around anymore. 1991, one new recording, their version of Crocodile Rock - good version, but c'mon guys, are you ever going to do a new album?  I thought Still Cruisin' was just to hold us over until you had a completely new album. Meanwhile, Brian's much talked about Sweet Insanity does not get released.  Then 1992 - finally a new album. Sorry I asked! A full album of Kokomo re-writes. Melcher used to be a good producer, what happened? That sampled snare drum has to be the loudest thing on every song, even the ballads. Mike sounds so freaking creepy on Summer of Love. Is he eyeballing some teenage girl in the audience as he sings this? I thought he was supposed to be Mr. Spiritual, TM and all that. Carl sings wonderfully in the rare instances he gets a solo, but it appears that's all he contributed - no guitar, keys; Al makes a couple vocal cameos; the only BB playing on this mess is Bruce. Sometime in the 80's, Mike and Al, formerly best friends, drifted apart, and Bruce became Mike's friend in the band. I guess there is one purpose to this cassette/cd release: want to know what a BB's album sounds like with absolutely no input from Brian? Thank God for 1995! Brian was back, making real music with feeling, and soul...and real instruments!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2016, 01:06:06 AM »

c'mon! you gotta at least love the artwork.  It's better artwork than 'bb85', 'still cruisin', 'LDC', 'miu', 'light album', '15 big ones'.
Even the Cd case design was great, thoughtful and original.  There are worse albums out there than 'SIP'
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2016, 04:29:09 AM »

c'mon! you gotta at least love the artwork.  It's better artwork than 'bb85', 'still cruisin', 'LDC', 'miu', 'light album', '15 big ones'.
Even the Cd case design was great, thoughtful and original.  There are worse albums out there than 'SIP'
Franklin Mint, dude  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
KDS
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2016, 05:19:24 AM »

There are definitely worse albums out there (Metallica's St. Anger comes to mind.  Queen's Hot Space could give it a run for its money.  Van Halen 3.  Judas Priest's Nostradomus), but no worse Beach Boys album. 

There are some enjoyable moments, but there is a paint by numbers laziness to the overall album. 
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2016, 05:24:39 AM »

Franklin Mint, dude  LOL

haha! worth the price of admission alone  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx