gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:42:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126074 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

I was on the beach today with my mp3 player and, for some reason, decided to listen to SIP in full. And I had an epiphany.

Something about the lack of wind, something about the lack of clouds, something about the warmth, the sun, the blue skies and waters made the album work. Mike wanted to make the quintessential summer album, and while it falls short of that goal, it certainly isn't unlistenable (that, I already knew), and, as I found out today, it can even be enjoyable in the right context. Lay down on the sand, close your eyes, put on SIP and take it easy.

Apparently I had already given it a 2/5 vote, and that still seems fair. 2/5 from a Beach Boys album is still better than a 5/5 from Ke$ha.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »

No, it's not the worst album of all time - but it does make MIU sound like a masterpiece in comparison. Mike's lyrics had really become self parody by this time - it's still hard for me to fathom Alan and Carl going along with this dreck.  When I first read that the Beach Boys were doing a cover of Hot Fun in the Summertime, I thought "this will be great", but the production just leaves it limp.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »

I'd love to own a vinyl copy with that whale cover of this one. But it's not a good album. At all. Strange things happen is the only actually good song. I really like it. Summer in paradise is ok, the live version is awesome. And then Summer of love, well that's so bad that it's actually great. Especially the music video from Baywatch. Makes me laugh so hard everytime. So gotta give some respect for that. The only song I can't listen at all is Forever. I rate this album 2/5.

Hot Fun in the Summertime 2/5
Surfin' 1/5  
Summer of Love 3/5
Island Fever  2/5
Still Surfin' 2/5
Slow Summer Dancin' 2/5
Strange Things Happen 4/5
Remember (Walking in the Sand) 1/5
Lahaina Aloha 1/5
Under the Boardwalk 2/5
Summer in Paradise 3.5/5
Forever 1/5
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:57:11 AM by RiC » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:55 AM »

I'd love to own a vinyl copy with that whale cover of this one. But it's not a good album. At all. Strange things happen is the only actually good song. I really like it. Summer in paradise is ok, the live version is awesome. And then Summer of love, well that's so bad that it's actually great. Especially the music video from Baywatch. Makes me laugh so hard everytime. So gotta give some respect from that. The only song I can't listen at all is Forever. I rate this album 2/5.

Hot Fun in the Summertime 2/5
Surfin' 1/5  
Summer of Love 3/5
Island Fever  2/5
Still Surfin' 2/5
Slow Summer Dancin' 2/5
Strange Things Happen 4/5
Remember (Walking in the Sand) 1/5
Lahaina Aloha 1/5
Under the Boardwalk 2/5
Summer in Paradise 3.5/5
Forever 1/5

If you don't like the studio version of the title track, then give the European remix a try. That version is about the only decent song from the whole album in my opinion
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »

If you don't like the studio version of the title track, then give the European remix a try. That version is about the only decent song from the whole album in my opinion
I'll try to find that somewhere. I'm not sure if I've heard it before or not.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2013, 03:00:39 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlPQokMjKk
Here it is. The general consensus is this version is far superior to the US version
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2013, 03:12:59 AM »

Here it is. The general consensus is this version is far superior to the US version
Yeah it's better. This track and Strange things happen are the only two tracks I like to listen from the album. I have them on my own compilations. I've listened the whole thing couple of times, that's enough for me. But I'd still like to find a copy for my collection. Hope they release a limited vinyl edition sometime, I don't care if it's crap or not... I want it  Evil
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

Alternate, live, whatever...ya can't polish a turd

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »

give it another 30 years...... this will be the follow up to Pet Sounds.... move over Smile, Holland, Sunflower......

you albums have new competition....

all the guys will be gone by then, including the to be legend John Stamos.......

this will be a major collectable........ US/UK editions and the Korean vinyl release.......

maybe I should stock up.

Rb  Cool Guy
bluesno1fann
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »

Yeah it's better. This track and Strange things happen are the only two tracks I like to listen from the album. I have them on my own compilations. I've listened the whole thing couple of times, that's enough for me. But I'd still like to find a copy for my collection. Hope they release a limited vinyl edition sometime, I don't care if it's crap or not... I want it  Evil
There's a Korean Vinyl of this album. But not only is it rare, but I'm not sure whether it's the crappy US version, or the not-so-bad-but-still-crappy UK remix
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »

Has anyone ever asked the question as to WHY this album was ever made? What was going through their minds?
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »

I think the answer is: Kokomo
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

I forgot... the answer is always Kokomo
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »

Has anyone ever asked the question as to WHY this album was ever made? What was going through their minds?

The Beach Boys were coming off being inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, received an American Music Awards Lifetime Achievement Award, had a fairly recent No. 1 single, their latest studio album went Gold, they were featured on a nationally syndicated TV series, and, depending on one's math, were celebrating or just celebrated their 40th Anniversary.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »

The Beach Boys were coming off being inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, received an American Music Awards Lifetime Achievement Award, had a fairly recent No. 1 single, their latest studio album went Gold, they were featured on a nationally syndicated TV series, and, depending on one's math, were celebrating or just celebrated their 40th Anniversary.

Perfect
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »

Perfect
Latest studio album went gold? What album? Still Cruisin? I wasn't aware it did that well.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »

Perfect
Latest studio album went gold? What album? Still Cruisin? I wasn't aware it did that well.
Still Cruisin' went Platinum. So, it probably was in Gold status by the time that they went in to do Summer In Paradise. 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »

You mean 30th Anniversary.

I heard so much about Summer In Paradise (95% bad) but didn't hear the album in full until a year or two ago on Youtube. I though it was awful, just as bad as so many people say it is. Maybe even worse. I don't own the album (nor Still Cruisin') mostly because it's out of print. And I don't want to pay $50 and up for a terrible album that I'll probably never listen to again.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »

3/5.. I really don't like the production values here and its mostly  Mike + Terry.. I really only hate a couple of songs on here but the performances on the rest are weak.. Not enough Alan + No Brian hurts also .. I saw them play a bunch of these songs live in 1992 and those performances were MUCH better than this recording.. Heck remake of "Surfin" was cool live.. If this LP had the balls of a live show it would be much better.. Terry Melcher blew it + Mike helped him And the rest phoned it in..! Favorite songs ? Still Surfin.. Boardwalk.. Hot Fun.. Summer in Paradise.. Live version with Bruce on co lead vocals much better tho..  Just more damage to the legacy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2013, 04:51:55 AM »

I heard so much about Summer In Paradise (95% bad) but didn't hear the album in full until a year or two ago on Youtube. I though it was awful, just as bad as so many people say it is. Maybe even worse. I don't own the album (nor Still Cruisin') mostly because it's out of print. And I don't want to pay $50 and up for a terrible album that I'll probably never listen to again.
I would look to invest in Still Cruisin, it was the first album i ever owned as a kid. There's some hidden gems on there, including my favorite Melcher tunes: Somewhere Newr Japan, Island Girl, In My Car (briAns contribution) of course
Kokomo, Make it Big, Still Cruisin, and Brian's guest vocals on Wipe Out is a fun listen occasionally.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »

I'd say this is the absolute bottom of the barrel. Perhaps the most embarrassing release by a major band. I confess, I've never heard the album in order all the way through. But I have heard every track on YouTube out of morbid curiosity and that was enough. Not a single one didn't make me cringe or feel bad for all parties involved. 0/5, not a single redeeming quality here.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:20:10 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 21, 2014, 05:12:20 PM »

Every time I hear 'Summer Of Love' (which is never unless I'm feeling particularly masochistic) I'm absolutely convinced Mike has used 'I'm gonna take you on a Lurrrrrve vacation' as a chat up line at some point.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »

I actually like this album.  It isn't their best by far but it certainly is fun and highly listenable.

Tracks scored (out of 5):

1. Hot Fun In The Summertime  (3/5)
2. Surfin'  (2/5)
3. Summer Of Love  (1/5)
4. Island Fever  (4/5)
5. Still Surfin'  (4/5)
6. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)  (3/5)
7. Strange Things Happen  (5/5)
8. Remember 'Walking In The Sand'  (4/5)
9. Lahaina Aloha  (5/5)
10. Under The Boardwalk  (2/5)
11. Summer In Paradise  (5/5)
12. Forever  (4/5)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:33:02 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

I would look to invest in Still Cruisin, it was the first album i ever owned as a kid. There's some hidden gems on there, including my favorite Melcher tunes: Somewhere Newr Japan, Island Girl, In My Car (briAns contribution) of course
Kokomo, Make it Big, Still Cruisin, and Brian's guest vocals on Wipe Out is a fun listen occasionally.

The funny thing is that "In My Car" is a worse tune than at least 8 out of the 12 songs on SIP.  Same for "Wipe Out".  In fact, Still Cruisin' only contains two stand-outs:  "Somewhere Near Japan" and "Kokomo".  Along with the lesser but very good "Make it Big" and "Still Cruisin'".
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:36:07 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »

I actually like this album.  It isn't their best by far but it certainly is fun and highly listenable.

Tracks scored (out of 5):

1. Hot Fun In The Summertime  (3/5)
2. Surfin'  (2/5)
3. Summer Of Love  (1/5)
4. Island Fever  (4/5)
5. Still Surfin'  (4/5)
6. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)  (2/5)
7. Strange Things Happen  (5/5)
8. Remember 'Walking In The Sand'  (4/5)
9. Lahaina Aloha  (5/5)
10. Under The Boardwalk  (2/5)
11. Summer In Paradise  (5/5)
12. Forever  (4/5)

I agree, though I like Slow Summer Dancin' a bit more than you do. Al's vocals on the One Summer Night sections are excellent and really saves that track. At least a 3. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.