gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126121 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59:13 AM »

I just listened to SIP for the very first time lastnight. I had avoided it for years but figured it was finally time to give it a chance. Although it is the worst BB's album i've ever heard, i wouldn't say it's the absolute worst album of all time. I surprisingly found myself listening to Lahaina Aloha a few times. My Beach Boys cd collection ends with BB's 85...and it will remain that way. 
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2012, 07:13:08 AM »

I just listened to SIP for the very first time lastnight. I had avoided it for years but figured it was finally time to give it a chance. Although it is the worst BB's album i've ever heard, i wouldn't say it's the absolute worst album of all time. I surprisingly found myself listening to Lahaina Aloha a few times. My Beach Boys cd collection ends with BB's 85...and it will remain that way. 

You are buying the NEW album, right?
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2012, 07:43:56 AM »

Yeah, i wrote that wrong. Oh, i'll be buying the new album!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

Heard only a few songs off this album and from what I've heard: meh  Undecided Just bland, uninspired just bleh. Again, production sucks. Electronic drums should be banned! I could barely pay attention to the songs I heard. But then again, I couldn't find that many songs on youtube and could have just been listening to all the "bad" (as if it couldn't get any worse) tunes. Maybe my opinion will change, who knows? But the album is hard enough to find as it is.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »

The album is complete trash..(regardless of the cool looking album cover) but my guilty pleasure is Island Fever...it sorta sounds like Kokomo :D extremely corny but catchy..
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »

I gave it a 4!
I like the live version of Summer In Paradise more than the album version, it has a not this overproduced sound and Bruce make a good job singing his part Azn
I also like Island Fever, Lahaina Aloha, Under The Boardwalk a lot.
Strange Things Happen and Still Surfin' are great tunes as well, what I don't like is that overproduced Pro Tools sound. It would have been much better with real drums and the Beach Boys playing the instruments.

I agree, and enjoy the album overall quite a lot, sorry haters! I don't like the nasty ProTools recording quality though.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

Guys, don't blame this on ProTools.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2012, 04:28:17 AM »

The Protools recording system would have had a profound effect on both the sound and production values of SIP.

Before this, BBs recording were most probably made on a Sony DASH recorder that was routed through a high end analog console like SSL or Neve.

The digital recorder would still have imparted a hard, 'glassy' sound, but at least with this recording method a lot of details remained intact - the mids in the vocals and guitars, for example [although bass and drums never really sounded good on it]
In terms of sound quality, there is a lot detail missing in SIP, it sounds very sterile and airbrushed. Compare the sound of it to that of SIJ - you should get my drift.

The other major issue with PT as the band themselves have stated is all the extra editing/processing that you end up doing simply because 'you can' [it's all ITB - in the box - so it's hassle free].
This in it self has almost completely destroyed the art of making records as we know them over the last 12-14 years (when PT really took off).

The truth of the matter is that the recording quality of ProTools is comparatively poor, and needs all the rinky-dink VSTs and ITB processors you can throw at it to emulate the sound of a good recording.

Imagine if the guys had decided to record the album on a Studer analog recorder with say, Dolby SR noise reduction. Wouldn't that have been nice........ 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »

The Protools recording system would have had a profound effect on both the sound and production values of SIP.

It's how you use it that makes it sound like sh*t or sound good. I've heard plenty of good-sounding digital recordings. "Warm" sounding, if you really must put it that way. It doesn't all have to be Summer In Paradise or T-Pain or whatever.

Before this, BBs recording were most probably made on a Sony DASH recorder that was routed through a high end analog console like SSL or Neve.

So BB85 and Still Cruisin' didn't sound like flaming piles of sh*t.

The other major issue with PT as the band themselves have stated is all the extra editing/processing that you end up doing simply because 'you can' [it's all ITB - in the box - so it's hassle free].

Again, just because it's there doesn't mean you use it, nor does it mean everything recorded to tape was worthwhile. Blame the asshole behind the computer screen or the boards, not said computer or boards. Anyone making use of something new and gimmicky "because it's there" is gonna horribly date their work.

This in it self has almost completely destroyed the art of making records as we know them over the last 12-14 years (when PT really took off).

Welp, that's a lame way of looking at things.

Imagine if the guys had decided to record the album on a Studer analog recorder with say, Dolby SR noise reduction. Wouldn't that have been nice........ 

The songwriting is still total ass regardless. Again, just because it was done on analog doesn't mean it's good, just as something being done on digital doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »

It's how you use it that makes it sound like sh*t or sound good. I've heard plenty of good-sounding digital recordings. "Warm" sounding, if you really must put it that way. It doesn't all have to be Summer In Paradise or T-Pain or whatever.

[Personally I think the best digital recordings are before the ProTools era, probably because a) the converters on those Sony/Mitsubishi DASH recorders were much better/more musical sounding as they were being recorded 'straight' (without 3,000,000 ITB plug-ins) and going through a high end analog console.

I agree there are plenty of 'warm' ProTools recordings - lame, grey, washed out, over cooked, brickwalled, zero bandwith/presence/intimacy.

So BB85 and Still Cruisin' didn't sound like flaming piles of sh*t.

BB85 - I didn't care too much for Steve Levine's production. It was their first 'DDD' effort. Levine didn't even let the Boys sing together around one mic, so that killed a vibe right there. It's still a record I enjoy though.

But on SC I think Terry Melcher pulled off the super bright/clear digi thing pretty good. The fine details such as 'breathiness' in the vocals on SNJ, the sharp chime of the Rickenbacker guitars on SC and SNJ, the crisp accordian/steel drum interplay on Kokomo helped made these records memorable for me.

Again, just because it's there doesn't mean you use it, nor does it mean everything recorded to tape was worthwhile. Blame the asshole behind the computer screen or the boards, not said computer or boards. Anyone making use of something new and gimmicky "because it's there" is gonna horribly date their work.

You'd be far more likely to fiddle with something in order to get something that will 'sit in a mix' if the sound quality of your recording is seriously lacking vitality. That computer did not record the performances well.

Welp, that's a lame way of looking at things.

It's true though isn't it? Even 50s and 60s recordings pee over today's digital garbage.
Listening to the Pet Sounds remixes, the sound quality is pretty darn good, no?
'Blonde On Blonde' remixed sounds like it was recorded last week.
Buddy Holly 'Down The Line' and "That Makes It Sound So Much Better', I could go on and on.

The songwriting is still total ass regardless. Again, just because it was done on analog doesn't mean it's good, just as something being done on digital doesn't mean it's automatically bad.

I like quite a few of the songs on SIP - Lahaina Aloha, Still Surfin' the version of the title track with Roger McGuinn.....okay it's not 'Sunflower' but it's fun, it's enjoyable, it's still The Beach Boys.

For the reasons I have stated above, I think it would have been a much better sounding record had it been done without the 'tools...think about a multi-track that had - no 'flying in' of  parts, no quantization of drums and other instruments, no rinky-dink EQs, compressors and processors, just the best 'real' performances in vivid, deep, transparent, clean sound that you could then mix on a Neve console or similar, and print to 1/2" 30ips tape Smokin

Maybe a new mix of the album, and a bounce to analog tape would help? I'd remix BB'85 too.
[/size][/size][/size][/size]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:59:31 AM by shakcohen » Logged
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »

Throw in "Kokomo", "Under The Boardwalk",  and "Wipeout" and you have a nice, fun 11 song album there! What'd ya think?

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
3. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
4. Kokomo
5. Hot Fun In The Summertime
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise

I think this would make a cool cheaply priced compilation CD, and be realistically all most people would want/need from this era.
I would throw in 'Rock'n'Roll To The Rescue' in there too
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »

SIP is produced, played and sung by fools. Don't blame the software. People made bad music on your beloved analog tape too.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »

Just listened to it, and its all garbage with lame backing tracks and the BBs sounding uninspired. People forget this album came out during the alternative music boom of the 1990s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2012, 03:28:52 AM »

Just listened to it, and its all garbage with lame backing tracks and the BBs sounding uninspired. People forget this album came out during the alternative music boom of the 1990s.

Considering your username I am hardly surprised by your comments!

Yeah, The Beach Boys should've really done a nihilistic Nirvana/Metallica kind of album  Roll Eyes
shakcohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:18 AM »

SIP is produced, played and sung by fools. Don't blame the software. People made bad music on your beloved analog tape too.

That's a pretty harsh statement.  Sad

You could have worded that differently - I thought this was a fan forum for The Beach Boys?  Smiley

About the analog, yes you are right in principle. But in practice, analog will always sound more 'live' and substantial, which means less inclination to mess around with the sound. And the fact that you can't do on it what PT can means that you HAVE to really push yourself to get a good take.

Smokin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:53 AM »

That's a pretty harsh statement.  Sad

You could have worded that differently - I thought this was a fan forum for The Beach Boys?  Smiley

We don't have to like EVERYTHING they do!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »

Considering your username I am hardly surprised by your comments!

Yeah, The Beach Boys should've really done a nihilistic Nirvana/Metallica kind of album  Roll Eyes
Alternative was the comeback of real rock and roll against the Cheesy production and souless music of the 1980s that SIP represented. The production of SIP is funny when you consider the bigger music scene and how out of touch the BBs were.

Bands like My Bloody Valentine and other shoegazing bands more than carried the torch of BW than Mike Love and company at that point. BW loved MBV's loveless at the time and its easy to see why. Subpop even released a Pet sounds single. 

Meanwhile,Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and Terry Melcher nearly killed the BBs rep from 1985-1997 with horrible "modern" songs and lame concerts with cheerleaders.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2013, 06:36:05 AM »

Some of it's hilarious; Summer of Love is right up there with Smart Girls. Some of it's got potential; Strange Things Happen and Hot Fun In The Summertime would be miles more bearable if the production was better. The rest is either boring or downright insulting.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »

First off, i would like to say, I love the cover, it's easily one of their best, if not the best.

That being said, this is The absolute WORST Beach Boys album, hands down!

In my opinion, not a single good song on this. Slow Summer Dancin', Carl's vocals on Remember (Walking In The Sand), and the European Remix of the title track are the only things close to all-right, but none of them are even filler quality for almost any other BB's album!

Brian made the right choice by staying out of it.

As for Surfin', and Forever, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!! Dennis would have rolled around in his grave.

The only Beach Boys-related album that is as bad as this is Looking Back With Love! and Summer In Paradise is also kind of a Mike Love solo album!

f*** this Album!!! 0/5
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:08:00 PM by Jarhead » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »

come about year 2042,  this just may be hailed as the latest 'Pet Sounds' of it's time!!!

RickB
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »

Been listening to this in the car recently. The problem with all you people who give the album a '0' and say that it's the worst album ever is that by being so unreasonable and hyperbolic, you set expectations EXTREMELY LOW, like, rock bottom couldn't get any lower expectations. When you have such low expectations, almost anything is going to be better than that, and indeed SIP just isn't that bad. The reviews of this album are absolutely absurd. I would say a FAIR rating of this album would be 2 1/2 stars out of 5, which means it's basically a 50-50 proposition.

1/3 of it is truly dreck, including:

-Forever
-Remember
-Under the Boardwalk
-Summer of love
(although under the boardwalk has some redeeming vocal work, and I actually like Summer of Love even though I recognize it's bad)

1/3 of the songs are mediocre, but enjoyable enough:

-Hot Fun
-Surfin
-Summer in Paradise
-Still Surfin'

1/3 more of excellent, almost classic:

- Slow Summer Dancin'
- Island Fever
- Lahaina Aloha (BEACH BOY CLASSIC)
- Strange Things Happen (BEACH BOY CLASSIC)

Overall, the production is just awful, on par (or worse maybe) than BB 85.

So I say let's stop with the silly over the top criticisms of this album. There are some tracks worth skipping, it's bad production, and certainly is one of their lesser offerings. But it's got LOTS of enjoyable Beach Boys goodness on it, including two tracks which in my opinion rank among their best of all time.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »

ya know

I've never listened to Summer in Paradise, but inspired by this thread I'll have a go at it this weekend and report back!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

1/3 more of excellent, almost classic:

- Slow Summer Dancin'
- Island Fever
- Lahaina Aloha (BEACH BOY CLASSIC)
- Strange Things Happen (BEACH BOY CLASSIC)

Call me crazy, but I'd definitely agree that the above 4 recordings are quite good and very enjoyable listening.  Who knew?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »

The only song I like on the album is the Sly Stone cover. I really like Mike's bass vocal. But the rest of the album (I mean cassette) is terrible. I don't dig the 90s style of Surfin. Not at all. Summer Of Love, Island Fever, Strange Things Happen...boring material. Slow Summer Dancing...double boring. Still Surfin' isn't as bad as the previously mentioned but it isn't great either. Same goes for the title track. Not a good Beach Boys album. Thumbs down. And this is coming from somebody who likes M.I.U. and Keepin The Summer Alive.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:00:25 PM by Garneau Mike Woonsocket » Logged

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »

I'll admit, I like Strange Things Happen, mainly because the production is a little more toned-down rather than obnoxious and in-your-face like most everything else on the album. It probably would have fit onto TWGMTR quite well, it definitely beats the worst of that album.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx