gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126115 times)
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 09:35:46 AM »

I fear I'll turn into a pillar of dogshit if I listen to this.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:41 AM »

Apparently Hot Fun in the Summertime was released as a single on Brother (distributed by Navarre I'd assume) in 1990 with Summer of Love on the flip.  Was this actually released to general market?  If so, was it 7", cassette single or CD single?  Does anyone actually have a copy of this?

Also is it true that Under the Boardwalk was released as a single too?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:52:15 AM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 08:14:18 AM »

I don't remember seeing one but I did hear "Hot Fun" on one of the local stations a couple times.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 12:23:02 PM »

I think that Hot Fun was just a promo single.  I know for sure that Under The Boardwalk was only a promo single, released to primarily AC radio stations.  Summer Of Love was released as a cassette single in 1995, backed with "I'm Always Here", the theme song of Baywatch. 

Good vibes,
Eric
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »

Go here, my children...

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/90ssingles.html

... and all you ask will be answered.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 07:22:56 AM »

Go here, my children...

Almost.  Were any of the SIP singles pressed on 7", or were they all cassette singles?  Or were they CD?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 03:09:51 PM »

SIP promo CD singles in my collection (all U.S. pressings):

BBPRO-1  Hot Fun in the Summertime
Brother BB PROCD-2  Hot Fun in the Summertime
Brother BB PROCD-3  Forever (AC mix) / (CHR mix) / (CD mix)
Brother BB PROCD-4  Under the Boardwalk
Brother PRO CD4  Summer in Paradise (remix) / (live version)
Scotti Bros. SBDJ 78033-2  Summer of Love

Note that the first one does not list Brother Records as the label, just "BBPRO-1".  And for whatever reason there are two #4's (CD-4 and CD4)!

Lee
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »

SIP cassette singles in my collection:

Brother BBR 5247-4  Hot Fun in the Summertime
Scotti Bros. 72392 78033-4  Summer of Love
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 12:32:02 AM »

just saw the hotfun video....complete crap!!!!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 07:33:22 PM »

not much going on in my life tonight (  Smiley ) and i stumbled across this thread. i am looking at billboard from august 15th 1992. the SIP cd has a 2 full page ad on pages 40 & 41 in that issue. it lists hot fun in the summertime as being on the following:
 cassingle bro- 7 508475247-49. in the ad it says that hot fun "was AC most-added in the R&R its first week and BREAKER its second...a BILLBOARD hot-shot debut and GAVIN hot box".
on page 77 it has the AC chart. hot fun was at #18 with a bullet, in its 5th week on the chart. the past 2 weeks it was at 20 both weeks.
i gotta get out more often...  LOL

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 10:41:26 PM »

This is my one of my many Beach Boys guilty pleasures. I know it's not good, but something always brings me back to it. Carl's vocals are great.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2006, 08:26:32 AM »

for some reason, i really want to hear this album. ive only heard hot fun in the summer time...and i kinda like it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »

The original by Sly and the Family Stone is EVEN BETTER!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Wilsonista
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2006, 01:23:50 PM »

Sly's version is the definitive version. The BB's version is utter shite as is the rest if SIP.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 10:25:15 AM »

Wow! This album amazes me no end. I've tried to avoid it for more than 10 years, but finally "borrowed" a copy. Once again: wow!

It's probably one of the worst things I've heard. Ever.

The sterile ProTools production.
The processed vocals.
Mike Love.
The lyrics.
The music.
The cover art.
Mike Love.
The mechanical, headache inducing drums.
Mike Love.

WOW!
MBE
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2006, 04:17:25 AM »

I heard Hot Fun on the radio once in 1992 and Mike Love recorded a spoken intro for the Chicago Oldies station I heard it on. I really dislike this album as a whole but 85 is worse to me.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2006, 02:31:37 PM »

Hot Fun in the Summertime - The original is much much better, but even still, it's listenable. Carl is pretty annoying, and so is the saxophone.
Surfin' - I like the chorus alot, but the butchered verses were a real let down. The guitar is annoying. And why the hell did they even bother rerecording this? Was it just to have a Brian song on the album?
Summer of Love - Mike's rapping is pretty annoying, and so are the lyrics. The chorus is pretty good, though, except the "girls are always ready" part.. it sounds like a robot singing or something.
Island Fever - The lyrics are pretty cheesy in some places, and the two-second Chuck Berry guitar solos are laughable, but overall this is a very enjoyable song. One of my favorites on the album.
Still Surfin' - Another pretty good song. I hear hints of "County Fair"/"I Do" in the verses. And look, it's a surfing song! Ironicly refreshing.
Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night) - The sax solo gives me a headache, but I like this song. Very Bruce-esque, but that seems to work on this album. What's with all these apostrophized gerunds in the song titles?
Strange Things Happen - "every time I touch my baby strange things happen", hahaha. Weird lyrics; I have no idea what this song is about. Nice song, though.
Remember Walking in the Sand - Never heard the original. Mike's "rememba" vocals are ridiculous, and so is the videogame synth. Good lead by Carl.
Lahaina Aloha - The lyrics aren't that bad in this one. I like the tropical imagery. Pretty good song.
Under the Boardwalk - I like it better than the original. Carl's voice is amazing.
Summer in Paradise - Good song, but I hate the saxophone!! So annoying.
Forever - Dennis's version, obviously, is much much much better, so I won't even bother comparing the two. It's still a wonderful composition, and my favorite song on the album, by far.

Even though I like a majority of the songs on this album (though I would've liked an Al song), the Boys could've done much better; there are many irritating things on this album that didn't need to be there. I especially dislike the lead guitar. Why, Carl, why?!

3/5
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:37:11 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2006, 10:56:46 AM »

i like this album, the eu version is better, "island fever" is great and i love both versions of the title track, the worst thing on this album is, that mike sung so much

the vocals from carl on forever are great

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
MBE
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »

Go here, my children...

Almost.  Were any of the SIP singles pressed on 7", or were they all cassette singles?  Or were they CD?

The vinyl LP came out in Korea and rumored to be in Aussie land. I have the Korean and it does sound slightly less sterile the pressing is good. Still don't like it though/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »

The UK version of Summer in Paradise (the song) is amazing. The chorus is so much better, and the verse sung by Roger McGuinn sounds like classic Byrds with the jangly 12-string guitar.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2006, 02:05:32 PM »

Mike wanted to do an unplugged LP (and yes he said he wanted it on vinyl too) around this time that I think would blown this away. Some of the melodies are decent it's just the synth production that destroys most of the track. A few like Summer of Love couldn't be saved by anyone though!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:50 AM »

and according to someone whose initials might just be TM, it sold 1000.

I don't believe that. I played in a hardcore punk band that was not very well known and not very good and even that band could sell 2000 copies of a record. So I'd be very surprised if a legendary band with the support of a very popular sitcom couldn't sell more than 1000 copies of an album.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 12:24:53 AM »

SIP promo CD singles in my collection (all U.S. pressings):

BBPRO-1  Hot Fun in the Summertime
Brother BB PROCD-2  Hot Fun in the Summertime
Brother BB PROCD-3  Forever (AC mix) / (CHR mix) / (CD mix)
Brother BB PROCD-4  Under the Boardwalk
Brother PRO CD4  Summer in Paradise (remix) / (live version)
Scotti Bros. SBDJ 78033-2  Summer of Love

Note that the first one does not list Brother Records as the label, just "BBPRO-1".  And for whatever reason there are two #4's (CD-4 and CD4)!

Lee

I have one of the one track Hot Fun promo CDs (not sure which one), but it doesn't have a front cover. Do you know if it originally had one?

And about the album: LOVE the cover art, hate the music. I dig the new version of Forever though. Not nearly as good as the original of course, but if you consider it a cover (which it basically is) it's really not bad at all.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »

I especially dislike the lead guitar. Why, Carl, why?!

Why are you asking someone who didn't play a single guitar note on the album ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2006, 07:43:31 AM »

and according to someone whose initials might just be TM, it sold 1000.

I don't believe that. I played in a hardcore punk band that was not very well known and not very good and even that band could sell 2000 copies of a record. So I'd be very surprised if a legendary band with the support of a very popular sitcom couldn't sell more than 1000 copies of an album.

So... you're saying Terry was lying about the production royalty checks he got for the album ? Plus, remember that the album was 'distributed' by Navarre, who went out of business shortly thereafter. And that in 1992, The Beach Boys were at a career low.

According to SoundScan, it shifted something like 54,000 units... but a LOT of those were as a freebie with the 1993 5CD box on QVC

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx