gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:04:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126166 times)
Paulos
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »

It does seem impossible that it sold that badly........but then you here it and it all makes perfect sense.

Unbelievably I saw a copy of this on amazon.co.uk the other day for a staggering £131.77 (approx $200)!!

A question by the way, I have the version with the whale on the front, is this the US or UK version?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

It does seem impossible that it sold that badly........but then you here it and it all makes perfect sense.

Unbelievably I saw a copy of this on amazon.co.uk the other day for a staggering £131.77 (approx $200)!!

Should be US.  The UK version has  fireworks on the cover, but no whale.

A question by the way, I have the version with the whale on the front, is this the US or UK version?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Paulos
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Southbay, although you putting your answer above my question in your reply was slightly confusing  Smiley
elchriso
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:11 PM »

To be honest, if you can find any redeeming value in this album your Beach Boys fandom has gone too far.  This album actually made me dislike the entire concept of music for a few hours after I heard it. Even my favourite songs did nothing for me immediately after finishing SIP. Early BB albums are the soundtrack to summer, this album tries to be as well but it's more like the soundtrack to a dentist's waiting room. All the magazines are several months old and don't look interesting at all and the radio is set to 106.5 SNOOZE FM "Playing all your bland, boring and inoffensive favorites."

This thing isn't even enjoyable for a few laughs at how bad it is. It's just so pathetically mediocre and unappealing that even Mike's rapping on "Summer Of Love" fails to get any reaction out of you at all, not even a "wow that's horrible and cheesy." The bland non-appeal of the whole thing manages to actually suck the beauty out of everything around you and bring it down to it's level. At the Louvre and looking at the Mona Lisa? Play this on your iPod and you'll soon look at it and think "So what? It's just a painting." Camping in the Rocky Mountains? Play this and you'll think "Meh. Lots of trees around here. There's a lake and that's a big mountain I guess. I see a lot of trees and water every day though and mountains are just really big rocks really. I don't get it."

I guess there is one neat thing about this album though is that I can now say that The Beach Boys are my favourite and least favourite band on earth simultaneously!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »

At least KTSA wasn't that overproduced, as much as it pains me to say it. This is just... a mocking parody of a shitty band attempting to emulate something that sounds like, but isn't really, the Beach Boys. Terrible. Completely terrible. The Boys even have the gall to throw on a cover of Forever, featuring John Stamos on vocals. It just goes to show a document of just how fall the once great Beach Boys have fallen. The cover of Surfin' is horrible too, but at least that song wasn't that good to begin with. I mean, God. Mike Love couldn't recognize a good song even if it knocked him out and FORCED him to write it (Sumahama). Still Crusin'. as God awful as that was, seems like a long lost Da Vinci painting compared to this. (Okay, maybe not THAT much). I mean, I'm glad no one bought it. At least then, only die-hards could hear this Satanic pile of sh*t. Imagine if radios were spammed with "Hot Fun in the Summertime" or "Still Surfin'". God, I don't know what keeps giving me the urge to review sub-par albums. Lemme go put on 20/20...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »

For what it is, SIP isn't actually bad.

It's the "what it is" that people have problems with.

That is, it's an album that tests a certain concept of creative autonomy that started with 15 Big Ones and Love You. In those two albums, but in the latter specifically, Brian Wilson was given nearly total control in writing and producing a Beach Boys album. With MIU, Alan was given a similar chance (although he clearly wanted to feature as many BW compositions as possible). Carl nearly dominated BB85 by force of his vocals and compositions alone.

So in 1993, with Brian absent, Al banished and Carl abdicating any creative input, Mike stepped up to the plate. He was going to prove his spot, finally, with a Beach Boys album conceived, co-written and nearly entirely sung by himself. It's really kind of remarkable it hadn't happened before then.

Think of SIP, then, as a Mike solo album with the other guys as guest vocalists. And when you consider it that way, it's not bad.

As a Beach Boys album, of course, it's tasteless and wretched.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »

Carl's vocals saved Lahaina Aloha and the cover songs.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »

Sure it wasn't the vinyl version ?? These do fetch an AWFUL lot of money on the circuit. I think it only appeared in the Far East and, maybe, Oz on record ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Paulos
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »

Sure it wasn't the vinyl version ?? These do fetch an AWFUL lot of money on the circuit. I think it only appeared in the Far East and, maybe, Oz on record ...

Nope, definately the CD version - some people ask crazy amounts for SIP, I had to pay £25 for it!
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »

Absolutely horrible. Most of the songs seem like half-assed attempts at repeating the success of Kokomo. The problem is that 4 years had passed since Kokomo was a hit, and by then this sort of thing sounded extremely dated. The production just screams 80s. Most of the songs go on for way too long. The two remakes are atrocious (well, I never liked Surfin' too much to begin with, but Forever was one of my all-time favorite Beach Boys songs). This album has no redeeming qualities. I don't normally give albums ratings, but I'll gladly give this a 0.

A broken man too tough to cry
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »

Absolutely horrible. Most of the songs seem like half-assed attempts at repeating the success of Kokomo. The problem is that 4 years had passed since Kokomo was a hit, and by then this sort of thing sounded extremely dated. The production just screams 80s. Most of the songs go on for way too long. The two remakes are atrocious (well, I never liked Surfin' too much to begin with, but Forever was one of my all-time favorite Beach Boys songs). This album has no redeeming qualities. I don't normally give albums ratings, but I'll gladly give this a 0.
Now this is remarkable. not the review, which is as one would expect. But to have one's first ever post on the board be about SIP?! Wow. Better than the two guys whose first posts were MIU. Congrats. Welcome aboard.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

Yes, doesn't like the last album or the very first song. The dislike has come full circle. I'm kind of surprised with all the great stuff that was recorded by The Beach Boys and Brian's new album due out in a few days, that a first post would be about Summer In Paradise. Indeed, welcome aboard!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »

Now this is remarkable. not the review, which is as one would expect. But to have one's first ever post on the board be about SIP?! Wow. Better than the two guys whose first posts were MIU. Congrats. Welcome aboard.

Well, I made my review because I thought there was something to defend!  Smokin
elchriso
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »

Well, I made my review because I thought there was something to defend!  Smokin
no no no! The only people that need to defend anything are people who LIKE SIP!
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2010, 10:45:54 PM »

[/quote] no no no! The only people that need to defend anything are people who LIKE SIP!
[/quote]

To say that they like the album requires no defense.  If they like it, they like it.  What would require defense is a claim such as "SIP rivals "Pet Sounds" in its clear, careful, visionary arrangements." 

I have kept away from this album, on the basis of having watched the "Hot Fun" video, but, hey, if someone likes it, maybe there is something there to like.

The problem with a lot of late Beach Boys is that no matter how catchy the tune is, I can't stop myself from thinking "NO!  This is not what I want a Beach Boys album to be!"
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »

Try to enjoy SIP for what is is...bad material with unbelievably strong vocals, esp. by Carl and Al.  In that way, maybe the polar opposite of Love You.  It was once said (and often repeated by me) that Carl could sign the phone book and sound good.  Well, he proved that here. Don't need sarcasm about the yellow pages being better material...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »

This is what the last Beach Boys album should have looked like. In my mind, this would have been the album that followed after "The Beach Boys '85":

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

7. Hot Fun In The Summertime(with a better production. Whether you like to admit it or not, this song is fun. Plain and simple)

8. Summer In Paradise(with a special accapela(sp?) ending, that would gradually fade out in a big mountain of the vocals that made The Beach Boys what they were, and still would have been had they tried just a little bit harder)

Throw in "Kokomo", "Under The Boardwalk",  and "Wipeout" and you have a nice, fun 11 song album there! What'd ya think?

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
3. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
4. Kokomo
5. Hot Fun In The Summertime
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise

Can we throw in Rio Grande and Love & Mercy from Brian's 1988 solo?

I'm trying to come up with a decent playlist combining the best from 85, Still Cruisin and SIP.... and as you might expect, I'm having trouble coming up with enough songs!  Rio Grande and Love & Mercy help.

For the record, I think Lahaina Aloha is the only truly solid song on SIP that I can enjoy without guilt.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »

This album for me is one of my albums I just have to have. Not because its a good album, but because of what it is. I personally think that its not that bad of an album, but It could definitley use some work on the production, and why would anyone come up with Summer Of Love! (But the video is halarious!) While I do prefer some of the European versions, I cannot decide on my favourite Summer In Paradise. Every version is a fun listen for me, especially the live version.

I was actually quite lucky, and managed to snag this Cd at my local record shop for £7! However, it was an american import (the american one) so I didn't get the the rarer European version, but ah well. Oh how I laughed when he passed it to me saying 'thats a great album that is!' Although he proceded to show me how it opened, so maybe he was talking about the packaging! I just wish it was easier to get on Vinyl, its the only one I'm missing (Stars And Stripes doesn't count for me).

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »

The drumming is what kills it for me, is it live drumming or a drum machine? I see that a drummer is credited, but it just sounds so programmed. I bought the US version when it first came out, hated it, and sold it, only to buy the European version years later second hand, having been told it had a warmer mix. It's my least favorite BB album, but I keep it as a curiosity. I kind of like the title song and the accompanying video, so I regard it as an expensive single. Not the first album I've bought for only one song.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

I had a horrifying nightmare recently. It was my funeral and, naturally, I'd requested Pet Sounds be played in respect of the fact that nothing but nothing has given me more pleasure in life than the music of the Beach Boys (except perhaps cheese and piccalilli sandwiches....) Anyway, my dumbass family screwed up and played Summer In Paradise instead, and I went to the freekin' grave accompanied by THE WORST RECORD BY A MAINSTREAM MUSICAL GROUP IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED SOUND!
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »

This is what the last Beach Boys album should have looked like. In my mind, this would have been the album that followed after "The Beach Boys '85":

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

7. Hot Fun In The Summertime(with a better production. Whether you like to admit it or not, this song is fun. Plain and simple)

8. Summer In Paradise(with a special accapela(sp?) ending, that would gradually fade out in a big mountain of the vocals that made The Beach Boys what they were, and still would have been had they tried just a little bit harder)

Throw in "Kokomo", "Under The Boardwalk",  and "Wipeout" and you have a nice, fun 11 song album there! What'd ya think?

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
3. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
4. Kokomo
5. Hot Fun In The Summertime
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise

Can we throw in Rio Grande and Love & Mercy from Brian's 1988 solo?

I'm trying to come up with a decent playlist combining the best from 85, Still Cruisin and SIP.... and as you might expect, I'm having trouble coming up with enough songs!  Rio Grande and Love & Mercy help.

For the record, I think Lahaina Aloha is the only truly solid song on SIP that I can enjoy without guilt.

I agree completely! Though, for some reason, "Still Surfin'" has made a small soft spot in my heart.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »

Just purchased this album off of ebay. I've listened to it two times all the way through and I can honestly say I won't feel the need to listen to it again for a long while.

To me the album sounds like the same commercial stuff Jimmy Buffett does nowadays. It's strange to hear them in that kind of setting. I do really like Carl's part in Lahaina Aloha (as I like Carl's part in Kokomo) but that's about it. It makes me sad that this is the last BB album with Carl.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2012, 03:39:48 AM »

Just purchased this album off of ebay. I've listened to it two times all the way through and I can honestly say I won't feel the need to listen to it again for a long while.

To me the album sounds like the same commercial stuff Jimmy Buffett does nowadays. It's strange to hear them in that kind of setting. I do really like Carl's part in Lahaina Aloha (as I like Carl's part in Kokomo) but that's about it. It makes me sad that this is the last BB album with Carl.

The last "mostly original BB album with Carl", S&S is a Beach Boys album no matter what some people say to try and console themselves.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »

Ah yes, I always forget that S&S was after SIP. I have it in my mind that it came before.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2012, 12:09:10 PM »

Interesting that this album appears to be having a mini-renaissance in popularity around here, what with more favourable posts here and in the GOTD section of late. What does this mean? Maybe that if no longer judged as the last 'semi-original' Beach Boys album, now that TWGMTR on its way, SIP isn't quite as satanic as some would have it.

For me, I think it's of a similar overall quality as BB85 and Still Cruisin, ie not great but not as bad as its reputation. At least one or two keepers and a lot of pleasant if disposable stuff.

Also imo the live version of the title track that circulates is kickin'.  Smokin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:10:12 PM by PhilSpectre » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx