gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:28:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126045 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »

I had to listen to both versions of this three times in succession - each, that's six times - while updating the ComGuide. Therefore I feel unusually qualified to say that, in my opinion, this album sucks like a turbo-charged cess pit emptier.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:10 AM »

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Phil H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:56 AM »

I had to listen to both versions of this three times in succession - each, that's six times - while updating the ComGuide. Therefore I feel unusually qualified to say that, in my opinion, this album sucks like a turbo-charged cess pit emptier.

LOL LOL LOL

Is it safe to assume you're one of the 20 (so far) who've rated it a big fat zero?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »

I haven't actually listened to this yet. I'm scared...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »

I haven't actually listened to this yet. I'm scared...

Go give it a spin. "Lahaina Aloha" is an excellent song, mostly due to both (!) Carl and Mike's vocal performances (also, you can't go wrong with what is pretty much a "Jamaica Farewell" rewrite). There's another couple of fine songs ("Strange Things Happen" and, if you can take the cheesy nostalgia, "Still Surfin'") while the rest is indeed mostly garbage.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2009, 02:17:35 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

Is it safe to assume you're one of the 20 (so far) who've rated it a big fat zero?

Only because there isn't a lower rating.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »

This is what the last Beach Boys album should have looked like. In my mind, this would have been the album that followed after "The Beach Boys '85":

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

7. Hot Fun In The Summertime(with a better production. Whether you like to admit it or not, this song is fun. Plain and simple)

8. Summer In Paradise(with a special accapela(sp?) ending, that would gradually fade out in a big mountain of the vocals that made The Beach Boys what they were, and still would have been had they tried just a little bit harder)

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »

This is what the last Beach Boys album should have looked like. In my mind, this would have been the album that followed after "The Beach Boys '85":

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

7. Hot Fun In The Summertime(with a better production. Whether you like to admit it or not, this song is fun. Plain and simple)

8. Summer In Paradise(with a special accapela(sp?) ending, that would gradually fade out in a big mountain of the vocals that made The Beach Boys what they were, and still would have been had they tried just a little bit harder)

Throw in "Kokomo", "Under The Boardwalk",  and "Wipeout" and you have a nice, fun 11 song album there! What'd ya think?

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
3. Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)
4. Kokomo
5. Hot Fun In The Summertime
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »

That hits on something I've felt for a long time -- the band had a decent Kokomo followup album in them (surf and sun themed, I mean). They recorded the songs for it. They just spread them over two different albums -- diluting several decent tracks with oldies on Still Cruisin and over processing everything to death for SIP (as well as including some truly dreadful songs).

I'm not saying this album would have been artistically credible. But it would have been a workmanlike attempt to do Kokomo for an entire album. By the time the band realized this was a worthwhile idea -- SIP -- it was four years too late and the best material had been used. I mean, a 1992 followup to an 88 hit single? Really?
Paulos
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2009, 07:59:32 AM »

I listened to SIP again the other day for only the third time and lost the will to live by the middle of Surfin', I'm not sure how I got through the rest of the album but that reefer sure helped. Smokin
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »

A CDR I made of Still Cruisin'/Summer in Paradise was the only CD I had in my car for like two or three months. I listened to it multiple times a day for months.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2009, 02:02:41 PM »

That hits on something I've felt for a long time -- the band had a decent Kokomo followup album in them (surf and sun themed, I mean). They recorded the songs for it. They just spread them over two different albums -- diluting several decent tracks with oldies on Still Cruisin and over processing everything to death for SIP (as well as including some truly dreadful songs).

I'm not saying this album would have been artistically credible. But it would have been a workmanlike attempt to do Kokomo for an entire album. By the time the band realized this was a worthwhile idea -- SIP -- it was four years too late and the best material had been used. I mean, a 1992 followup to an 88 hit single? Really?
Hmmm, sounds just like something the Beach Boys would do.  But don't forget, both Still Cruisin' and SNJ were released as follow-up singles (by a major label, no less) in 1989 and completely tanked

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Paulos
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »

A CDR I made of Still Cruisin'/Summer in Paradise was the only CD I had in my car for like two or three months. I listened to it multiple times a day for months.

Wow, was this an act of contrition for something bad you had done? I can barely listen to either of these albums, you are a braver (or crazier) man than I Aegir.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

Throw in "Kokomo", "Under The Boardwalk",  and "Wipeout" and you have a nice, fun 11 song album there! What'd ya think?

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
4. Kokomo
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise
Take out Wipeout and replace it with Rock And Roll To The Rescue, and you've got a possible minor hit album. In the low 90's of a Hot 100 list mind you, but still a "hit" by technical standards.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
4. Kokomo
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise
Take out Wipeout and replace it with Rock And Roll To The Rescue, and you've got a possible minor hit album. In the low 90's of a Hot 100 list mind you, but still a "hit" by technical standards.

I always hesitate to lump "Rock & Roll To The Rescue" in with Still Cruisin' and SIP; I think it's just a little too old. But, for this purpose, OK! It fits perfectly after "Still Cruisin". And, don't delete "Wipeout"; it was a hit and it's a fun track. You know, I really like this now 12 song comp. police
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2009, 08:07:38 PM »

1. Lahaina Aloha

2. Still Cruisin'

3. Still Surfin'

4. Somewhere Near Japan

5. Strange Things Happen

6. One Summer Night

1. Still Cruisin'
2. Strange Things Happen
4. Kokomo
6. Still Surfin'
7. Wipeout
8. Under The Boardwalk
9. Lahaina Aloha
10. Somewhere Near Japan
11. Summer In Paradise

I always hesitate to lump "Rock & Roll To The Rescue" in with Still Cruisin' and SIP; I think it's just a little too old. But, for this purpose, OK! It fits perfectly after "Still Cruisin". And, don't delete "Wipeout"; it was a hit and it's a fun track. You know, I really like this now 12 song comp. police
I look at it this way: It is keeping with the beach boy's "method" of including at least one song on the album that it three or four years old already. You know, this is a great topic for a thread....

rogerlancelot
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »

I just finished listening to the US version minutes ago to remind me of it (plus I was bored and had a free hour of time). I gave it a 1. "Strange Things Happening" is the only sort of adventurous song here. Skip the rest, please! Such a total shame that this was the end of their era...
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »

Summer In Paradise is just a tragic record period! The entire album was recorded using Pro Tools on a Macintosh Quadra computer, being one of the first albums to do so. Musically, it continued in the vein of The Beach Boys and Still Cruisin'. The entire rhythm section was electronic on most songs, with all the drum parts being programmed and most of the bass parts being synthesized as well.

The only band member to actually play was Bruce Johnston, although Terry Melcher played many keyboard parts, and Van Dyke Parks played accordion on two tracks.  Al Jardine's son Adam did sing backup vocals on the title track, and touring musician Adrian Baker contributed background vocals.

The album sold very badly (reportedly less than 1,000 copies) and was received less favorably than any album put out by the band to date. Critics attacked the album upon release and are still going at it today. In their book "The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson: The Complete Guide to Their Music", Andrew G. Doe and John Tobler call the album "the absolute nadir of their recording career", "pointless, vapid and soulless" and "utterly disposable" (the latter in reference to the songs). In "Catch a Wave", Peter Ames Carlin speaks especially disparagingly about "Summer of Love", referencing its overtly sexual lyrics.

The band never again released an album of original material. The last official group project was Stars and Stripes Vol. 1, an album of Beach Boys classics performed by country stars with the Boys on backup vocals.

And there endeth the lesson!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »

The entire album was recorded using Pro Tools on a Macintosh Quadra computer

This in no way enhances nor takes away from the album. Irrelevant. The album sucks because the songs suck.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

Summer In Paradise is just a tragic record period! The entire album was recorded using Pro Tools on a Macintosh Quadra computer, being one of the first albums to do so. Musically, it continued in the vein of The Beach Boys and Still Cruisin'. The entire rhythm section was electronic on most songs, with all the drum parts being programmed and most of the bass parts being synthesized as well.

The only band member to actually play was Bruce Johnston, although Terry Melcher played many keyboard parts, and Van Dyke Parks played accordion on two tracks.  Al Jardine's son Adam did sing backup vocals on the title track, and touring musician Adrian Baker contributed background vocals.

The album sold very badly (reportedly less than 1,000 copies) and was received less favorably than any album put out by the band to date. Critics attacked the album upon release and are still going at it today. In their book "The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson: The Complete Guide to Their Music", Andrew G. Doe and John Tobler call the album "the absolute nadir of their recording career", "pointless, vapid and soulless" and "utterly disposable" (the latter in reference to the songs). In "Catch a Wave", Peter Ames Carlin speaks especially disparagingly about "Summer of Love", referencing its overtly sexual lyrics.

The band never again released an album of original material. The last official group project was Stars and Stripes Vol. 1, an album of Beach Boys classics performed by country stars with the Boys on backup vocals.

SIP sold less than 100,000 copies, not less than 1,000...

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2010, 11:26:45 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Summer In Paradise

No.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2010, 04:18:45 AM »

The entire album was recorded using Pro Tools on a Macintosh Quadra computer

This in no way enhances nor takes away from the album. Irrelevant. The album sucks because the songs suck.
'Lahaina Aloha', 'Strange Things Happen' and the live version of 'Summer In Paradise' are very decent.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Jason
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

Apparently, Summer In Paradise was recorded with Pro Tools, but the BETA RELEASE version!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »

SIP sold less than 100,000 copies, not less than 1,000...

Bruce told me it sold about 145,000 copies. According to SoundScan, something like 53,000 units shifted (but a lot of those were as a freebie if you bought the 1993 box on QVC). According to someone else closely involved with the project (whose initials might just have been TM), it sold about 1000 copies.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2010, 07:48:17 AM »

Fair enough, I stand corrected.  I had only heard the 100K numbers before.  1,000 copies...that seems almost impossible

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx