gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:22:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer In Paradise
5 - 9 (6.3%)
4 - 10 (7%)
3 - 15 (10.5%)
2 - 19 (13.3%)
1 - 32 (22.4%)
0 - 58 (40.6%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer In Paradise  (Read 126107 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2005, 11:44:14 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Summer In Paradise, released August 1992.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 08:49:58 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:45:31 AM »

Inessential, hardly their best effort, but at least the band was kind of trying. Can't say that about Keepin' the Summer Alive, the band's absolute nadir.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 03:14:02 PM »

Satanic.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »

Bummer In Paradise.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 02:04:19 AM »

One of the reasons why it can be embaressing to be a fan of the Beach Boys.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
st2580smile
Smiley Smile Associate

It is such a fine line between clever and stupid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »

Hmm, this disc is really not a "Beach Boy" recording.
More of a Bruce, Mike and John album.
I must admit John Stamos imitates the boys very well.
"Something Happens" is the best tracks (way to go Al!).
Otherwise it is a bookmark of the end in the library of the Beach Boys catalog.
Strange it fetches $100. + at auctions.
Should have grabbed it a 89 cents in the bargan bids.
Pete
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 11:57:35 AM »

A reasonably good concept for the band to try but the final product sounds lame as if no one besides Mike really gave a sh*t about the final product.  Or for that matter, including Mike.

I mean, there are a couple of songs that could have made excellent covers if given a full effort by the BeachBoys in terms of music and vocal arrangment

But that didn't happen.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »

I can't vote, for some reason, but I want to give it zero!  Okay, some nice Carl and Al vocals, but that's it!
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »

Carl, Al, and Bruce's vocals are the best thing about the album!
Wizard_Glick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 03:41:23 AM »

Strange Things Happen, pretty good.

Shelve the rest.

Save the Texas prairie chicken
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 05:54:07 AM »

Nuclear waste.  Totally without merit.  Can't stand at all.

I can't vote either but a 0 from me.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 12:22:08 PM »

5+ the last great album from the boys
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »

You're on a roll.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 08:20:48 AM »

OK this one also goes into the "guilty pleasure" category.  This album holds together well as a whole and musically it's not bad if you dig electronic instrumentation.  Strange Things Happen is a great song, I don't care what anyone says.  Carl has some brilliant vocals.  I love his "And when the DJ tells me that the surfin' is fine..." on the re-made Surfin'.  I'd say I like 10 out of the 12 songs.  I'll stand alone on this one I'm sure, but I'm going to give this album a 3.5, so I'll round up to 4.  This was the last studio album of new material and quite frankly, I still think this tops 15 Big Ones.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 08:23:55 AM »

it's not bad if you dig electronic instrumentation.

Y'know, that's the touchstone of industrial music. And we all know how many fans of that there are.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 12:31:18 PM »

I don't have this, but I remember looking at it in a store right when it came out and thinking that I might want to get it, but I didn't. I guess this would have been because of Forever being on Full House. Strange how things work out.

Watch out for snakes!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

I really enjoy this album and I don't think it's as bad as many people say it is.  "Island fever" is one of my favs from this album and Carl's vocal on "Remember (walkimg in the sand)" is great, as well as almost all his vocals.
From another point, this album and kinda music (at least thematically) would be a good reason to see the Beach Boys not as one of the greatest bands in the world, but as an oldies-act, which they unfortunately have become.
I give that album a 3.
BTW great cover and artwork, though I think the european version had a "normal" jewel case, hadn't it? Anyway the american version (hope I didn't through the two around) has really, really great artwork imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 01:17:59 PM »

The European version is much better, the remixes are very classy, given the material. Some of the remixes improve on their American counterparts.
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »

This had the potential to be a pretty good one, but sadly it seems it was too much of Mike milking Kokomo and coming up with whatever lame lyics they could.  That said, I can appreciate some tunes on hear.  "under the boardwalk is overproduced, but not too much and I really enjoy the vocals and sax on this one.  Still Surfin' is ok.. would have been better if others had shared some leads on it, but oh well.  Lahaine is probably my favorite - Carl is great on this one, catchy chorus.  The other remakes are ok... I find myself listening to them on occasion.  Maybe Stragne things Happen is the only other tune that I can tolerate though.  So I guess that I like half of it... and that ain't bad.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 08:38:34 AM »

Does anyone have an official count on approximately how many copies of this were sold in the US?  I've seen some sources that cite as many as 50,000 and some that cite as few as 5,000.  Also, when did this go out of print in the US?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 09:49:46 AM »

Does anyone have an official count on approximately how many copies of this were sold in the US?  I've seen some sources that cite as many as 50,000 and some that cite as few as 5,000.  Also, when did this go out of print in the US?

I heard it sold more like 1,000.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 04:25:56 AM »

That explains the ridiculous prices that this album fetches on eBay.  I'd say the remixed European version is probably even more rare.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 11:22:28 AM »

According to Bruce, it shipped 145,000 (but how many were returned ?)... according to SoundScan it sold something like 54,000 (but many of those were as a freebie if you bought the 1993 box set from QVC)... and according to someone whose initials might just be TM, it sold 1000.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check, but I think they even plug "Summer in Paradise" in the book for the GV Box Set.  Something about "The Beach Boys have a new album, Summer in Paradise".  Interesting.  I still think that those of us with a copy of it probably listen to this more than we'll ever admit.  It certainly doesn't rank among their highest achievements, but I still like it better than 15BO.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 09:12:44 AM »

I can’t get through it. It’s worthless.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx