gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:55:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did Brian actually re-record Marcella in '74?  (Read 3130 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »

Anyways, the thread title kinda says it all. I'm asking this question because it says this is the case in the Badman book. But I'm pretty sure Andrew's site says nothing of the sort. And I'm wondering how this mix-up could have been made. If it is real, do we have any idea what it sounds like? Or if it was finished, etc?

And why would Brian be messing around with the song two years after it was released anyways? Was he possibly going to produce a cover for someone?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:05 PM »

It was not uncommon for Brian to re-record songs throughout his career. In fact, he's done it quite a few times in the past.

There's a slightly different version floating around, but I never heard about him re-recording Marcella before. Unless he was messing with it during the Caribou sessions. But "All Dressed Up For School" became "I Just Got My Pay" became "Marcella".
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:47:41 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »

minus the marcella solo.  It doesn't really stand up to the two songs it evolved from imo
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:23:08 AM »

Anyways, the thread title kinda says it all. I'm asking this question because it says this is the case in the Badman book. But I'm pretty sure Andrew's site says nothing of the sort. And I'm wondering how this mix-up could have been made.

I think the depth of Badman's secondary research/fact checking was indicated on page 10, first paragraph:

"Hawthorne is situated in rural south-eastern Alachua County, very close to the boundary with Putnam County... Hawthorne is named for James Madison Hawthorne, a veteran of the second Seminole War... He received a land grant on the north-west side of Lake Johnson..."

An excellent description of Hawthorne. Hawthorne, Florida. I read this in the bookshop of the RFH in June 2004, and remember thinking "what the f*** ?", a comment that was increasingly repeated when, a few pages later, I started reading stuff I'd written for my website.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »

Anyways, the thread title kinda says it all. I'm asking this question because it says this is the case in the Badman book. But I'm pretty sure Andrew's site says nothing of the sort. And I'm wondering how this mix-up could have been made.

I think the depth of Badman's secondary research/fact checking was indicated on page 10, first paragraph:

"Hawthorne is situated in rural south-eastern Alachua County, very close to the boundary with Putnam County... Hawthorne is named for James Madison Hawthorne, a veteran of the second Seminole War... He received a land grant on the north-west side of Lake Johnson..."

An excellent description of Hawthorne. Hawthorne, Florida. I read this in the bookshop of the RFH in June 2004, and remember thinking "what the f*** ?", a comment that was increasingly repeated when, a few pages later, I started reading stuff I'd written for my website.

You're beating with the book everyone the book tells you to love.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:14:52 AM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »

Huh Huh Huh Huh

Rosetta Stone.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 02:51:05 AM »

It's the only "reference" book about BBs I have. I have the older copy with social security numbers printed in it. I wonder if it's worth more?

Andrew, I'd love to have a copy of your book but it goes for frickin' crazy prices used on Amazon over here in the States. Any chance of a reprint with updates?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 03:31:28 AM »

It's the only "reference" book about BBs I have. I have the older copy with social security numbers printed in it. I wonder if it's worth more?

Andrew, I'd love to have a copy of your book but it goes for frickin' crazy prices used on Amazon over here in the States. Any chance of a reprint with updates?

Jesus - I just had a look at the US amazon site, and the UK is worse ! Never realised I was so collectable...  Grin  Alas, any reprint decision isn't mine and, frankly, as Omnibus haven't contacted me regarding a 50th anniversary edition, I'd have to say a reprint isn't likely, period

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »

Jesus - I just had a look at the US amazon site, and the UK is worse ! Never realised I was so collectable...  Grin  Alas, any reprint decision isn't mine and, frankly, as Omnibus haven't contacted me regarding a 50th anniversary edition, I'd have to say a reprint isn't likely, period

Out of your love for all the Beach Boys fans in the world, maybe you could scan a copy of your book to your website?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »

Out of your love for all the Beach Boys fans in the world, maybe you could scan a copy of your book to your website?

He's sitting on a remainder of 1,000 copies. Watch out for an elderly man with a huge hat in front of the venue for the reunion concert. I hear the asking price will be around $ 500

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »

Don, would now be a good time to mention I have really crappy eyesight?  Razz

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »

Don, would now be a good time to mention I have really crappy eyesight?  Razz

Erm... there is a function that I don't understand on this board. It's called: quote. Perhaps you can enlighten me?  Smokin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »

He's sitting on a remainder of 1,000 copies. Watch out for an elderly man with a huge hat in front of the venue for the reunion concert. I hear the asking price will be around $ 500

Double if it's autographed.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »

By whom ?  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »

By whom ?  Grin

My mate Brian.  Roll Eyes

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:01 PM »

Was re-recording this around the same time Brian started re-writing/re-recording older tunes; those 'infamous' sessions we never hear about and discuss very little?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:04 PM »

Was re-recording this around the same time Brian started re-writing/re-recording older tunes; those 'infamous' sessions we never hear about and discuss very little?

Yeah, with the notorious (and infamous) Tandyn Almer if I'm not mistaken....those are tracks I'd love to see leaked!!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »

By whom ?  Grin

My mate Brian.  Roll Eyes

Coolest. Reply. Ever.  Cool

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »

I'd like to hear the supposedly re-done version of "In The Back Of My Mind".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 01:05:46 AM »

Yeah, with the notorious (and infamous) Tandyn Almer if I'm not mistaken....those are tracks I'd love to see leaked!!

No - those tracks were re-recorded a few years earlier and anyway, "Marcella" wasn't part of that deal as, when Murry sold Sea Of Tunes in 1969, the song was some two years away from being written (or if you're being picky, rewritten).

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx