gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:18:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's lyrics  (Read 5755 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:08 AM »

Nothing gets my back up more than when someone implies that the Beach Boys were just a sixties version of ... (insert boyband/Disney jerkoff group here).

At that point, I explain in simple and quick terms. If they're still spouting the same bullshit afterwards, they're not to be taken too seriously.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »

True. You can lead a jackass to water but you can't make it drink.  Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »

Nothing gets my back up more than when someone implies that the Beach Boys were just a sixties version of ... (insert boyband/Disney jerkoff group here).

The Beach Boys wrote there own songs, played their instruments (except Mike) and they didn't dance. The Jackson 5 was a lot more like the boy bands of recent years. I hate it when people compare the Beach Boys to them. Much more like REM, who made some of their best albums after Automatic for the People, but they weren't big sellers. Maybe even Radiohead, who is mainly known for their albums up to Ok Computer. I think their best was after that.

Hey!  Mike played a pretty mean SAX!!  And he did some nice dance steps too.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »

Mike was also a hipster bearded asshole before there was such a thing!  Razz

I think the best way to view Mike is as just ONE of Brian's many great collaborators. I think it's futile trying to prove he's the best of the bunch. Too many people simply hate the guy when no one knows Tony Asher or Gary Usher from the wall.

And if Mike's the king of the "fun and sun" aspect of The Beach Boys: well, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a key part of what makes The Beach Boys THE BEACH BOYS and it created a lot of the momentum the group needed to achieve the clout necessary for Brian to stretch out.

Mike is also unique amongst Brian's collaborators in that he was IN THE FREAKING BAND! He got to sing many of the great lyrics he wrote, and was the band's front man and informed quite a bit of their identity.

But Gary Usher, Tony Asher, Roger Christian, Van Dyke Parks, Jack Reilly (yes) were all great and had unique strengths that Mike perhaps did not. Though, in Mike's defense, he was able to write many different types of lyrics: car songs, surf songs, love song, melodrama, mellow-good-vibe stuff, and the occasional weird bit. But that might just be because he was in the band and writing much longer than the other guys.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »

Van Dyke said Brian was embarrassed by the "carburetor and boy + girl" lyrics that Mike had written and welcomed Van's esoteric imagery.

I think this quote was true around 65-67. At that time, Brian wanted to be a hip intellectual, and with that being his goal, he naturally would've been embarrassed when songs like "409" came up. However, as we can see by the end of the SMiLE, this period didn't work out. For one reason or another, Brian either stopped talking to his hip new friends or they stopped talking to him. The end result is that Brian abandoned those aspirations. Some time after he did that, he probably reevaluated the earlier songs and saw their positive aspects again. People's mind change.

Also, I think the reason Brian preferred writing with Van Dyke over Mike was simple: Van Dyke had taken acid, and would take uppers and smoke marijuana with Brian. Brian wanted people in his "head space" more than anything. After all, look at how he coerced the BBs into taking a ton of drugs when he finally worked closely with them again for Smiley Smile.

Van Dyke also provided the intelligent vibe that Brian wanted. While Mike can be very clever, he never comes off as a genius. Just a clever, hardworking guy.

The reason he had Mike write the lyrics for "Good Vibrations" was because Brian knew that Asher couldn't write lyrics that were commercial enough to take the song to #1. As we know, the perception at the time was the Pet Sounds had bombed. Brian's ultimate goal was to revolutionize the music industry, and to do that he need commercial success. 

And Mike wasn't even Brian's first choice as Asher's replacement for "Good Vibrations". Brian wanted Van Dyke to do it, but Van Dyke refused, probably because he worried that his lyrics wouldn't be right for the song's mood.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »

And Mike wasn't even Brian's first choice as Asher's replacement for "Good Vibrations". Brian wanted Van Dyke to do it, but Van Dyke refused, probably because he worried that his lyrics wouldn't be right for the song's mood.

I want to say Van Dyke addressed this at one point, saying the lyric had already had work on it and he didn't feel it was his place to intrude. I don't know if he's talking about Tony's lyrics or Mike's lyric, though.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »

I want to say Van Dyke addressed this at one point, saying the lyric had already had work on it and he didn't feel it was his place to intrude. I don't know if he's talking about Tony's lyrics or Mike's lyric, though.

Yeah, since Carlin's book it seems to be very much up in the air. If VDP was indeed asked first thing in early Summer '66, it was Asher's lyrics that were the embarassment Brian wanted replaced since by all accounts Mike's lyrics couldn't have been written until late September '66.

I don't doubt who thought who was comfortable with what personal behavior had something to do with Brian mixing it up and having a lyricist's revolving door, I'm still leaning toward just plain ol' variety. Still the operative thing is once the others were out the revolving door they were out where as Mike stayed the go-to.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 12:05:13 PM »

Well, Van Dyke was in the fold early enough for him to claim that he was one of the people that suggested putting cellos on the chorus of "Good Vibrations".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 02:20:09 AM »

'I don't know where, but she send me there". Now THAT is a GREAT lyric! I don't know if Mike wrote it, but he sings it like he did.  Smiley It's  probably the most psychadelic Mike ever got.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »

"She goes with me to a blossom world", the next summer we were all encouraged to go to San Francisco with flowers in our hair. Coincidence.....?.........

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 10:47:07 AM »

The Beach Boys wrote there own songs, played their instruments (except Mike) and they didn't dance. The Jackson 5 was a lot more like the boy bands of recent years. I hate it when people compare the Beach Boys to them. Much more like REM, who made some of their best albums after Automatic for the People, but they weren't big sellers. Maybe even Radiohead, who is mainly known for their albums up to Ok Computer. I think their best was after that.
Actually, the Lovester danced! Watching him dance make me want to simultaneously  w00t! and  Thud !!
And how dare you compare Radiohead to the BBs!  police LOL LOL Unlike the BBs, where their post-PS stuff was some of the best music of their career, RH got got boring...only half of each of their first 3 albums is worth listening to, anyway. Nothing more than a Brit-pop band who started taking themselves too seriously and have no sense of joy or fun in their music. Even the BBs at their most depressed (Til I Die, Tree) sang with passion...Yorke does nothing but wallow in his own misery...and his Idioteque dance and head bobbing have nothing on Love's Monster Mash, chicken dance, and various other cheesy and embarrassing yet somehow awesome moves. Wild Honey, IMHO, is a much more satisfying listen than RH's entire back catalog combined. That said, I do like RH's cover of Rhinestone Cowboy. Rant over...I think I went off topic a little.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »

Well, Van Dyke was in the fold early enough for him to claim that he was one of the people that suggested putting cellos on the chorus of "Good Vibrations".

I always had a few doubts about this specific claim from Van Dyke, but I don't have the facts and dates in front of me to back it up. Then again, I also think he had more of a hand in creating some of Smile's signature arrangements in 1966 then he has ever taken or received credit for, but that's just a personal opinion.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »

Actually, the Lovester danced! Watching him dance make me want to simultaneously  w00t! and  Thud !!
And how dare you compare Radiohead to the BBs!  police LOL LOL Unlike the BBs, where their post-PS stuff was some of the best music of their career, RH got got boring...only half of each of their first 3 albums is worth listening to, anyway. Nothing more than a Brit-pop band who started taking themselves too seriously and have no sense of joy or fun in their music. Even the BBs at their most depressed (Til I Die, Tree) sang with passion...Yorke does nothing but wallow in his own misery...and his Idioteque dance and head bobbing have nothing on Love's Monster Mash, chicken dance, and various other cheesy and embarrassing yet somehow awesome moves. Wild Honey, IMHO, is a much more satisfying listen than RH's entire back catalog combined. That said, I do like RH's cover of Rhinestone Cowboy. Rant over...I think I went off topic a little.

Have you even heard Kid A or Amnesiac? Those are their best albums IMO. REM"s best album is Up IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »

Mike was also a hipster bearded butthole before there was such a thing!  Razz

I didn't realise that was a 'thing'!  LOL

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »

Mike was also a hipster bearded butthole before there was such a thing!  Razz

I didn't realise that was a 'thing'!  LOL

This guy would not look out-of-place on any given college campus in America.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:34:00 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »

I dunno. Look up "Bearded Hipster Butthole" in Google pics and see what you get  LOL
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 06:27:19 AM »

I just might be that guy. Although, I think my personality is much closer to Carl's then Mike.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »

Have you even heard Kid A or Amnesiac? Those are their best albums IMO. REM"s best album is Up IMO.
Yes I have...Half the songs on each album are somewhat decent, half are complete merda, all are coma inducing, even the fast ones. Maybe it's just me...but I never really got all the hype...I once owned OK Computer, but I was always skipping over most of the tracks...No Surprises and Electioneering were the only ones that did anything for me. Honestly, I prefer Oasis and Coldplay, as bad as that sounds.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx