gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:11:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 122505 times)
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2006, 04:14:46 PM »

on the subway.  its the best soundtrack to walk around with full blast and observing everyone going where they are going and just going with the album.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »

i think it wouldve been better if actually just was pet sounds, how insane would that have been?
That's what my mom thought the first time I brought it into the car for us to listen to.. she refused to play it based on the title until I told her it was the Beach Boys.

These days, she refuses to play a CD even after I tell her it's by the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson.. haha; too much (Smiley) Smile, methinks.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2006, 12:19:20 PM »

Thought I'd add a photo:

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »

i think it wouldve been better if actually just was pet sounds, how insane would that have been?

Heh. That's possibly the only thing you've posted made a vague amount of sense.

It actually gave me an idea for a song...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2006, 10:14:53 AM »

look, i apologize, i am a pothead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2006, 07:34:58 AM »

LOL...alrighty then. I am too (although not for a while), so it's all good.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2006, 07:34:32 PM »

Even though there are certain BB songs I like more than those on "Pet Sounds" (Please Let Me Wonder, for a start), I think this is the best album on the whole.  Hits almost every note of relationships and life during the phase between teenage life and young-adulthood.

Perfect arrangement of both backing instrumental tracks and vocal tracks.  None of the backing or vocal tracks are "perfect" by themselves (IMO), but when combined, they combine beautifully.  Perfect album to study, as new details emerge almost every listen.  It took me a long time to hear that honky-tonk piano in "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" behind all of those vocals.  The instrumental bridge of "Here Today" is probably the greatest bit of music I've ever heard.  Seemingly out of control but meticulously arranged.  Brilliant.  There are moments of genius like this throughout the whole thing. 

One of the only problems I have arises when you actually listen to the track only and vocal only mixes.  Sometimes you wish you could hear more of the instrumental bits, like that piano in "IJWMFTT" or more of the vocal group harmonies that slide up and down the scale in "Here Today".  That's more of a personal thing though.  I wouldn't mind that mixing board CD-ROM idea coming to fruition.

And ditto on listening to it in the dark with headphones.  Even Brian advocates it!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2006, 02:42:42 AM »

A total masterpiece. Like someone once said, "Pet Sounds" should be used in schools for music-education. The greatest collection of pop-songs ever. And only surpased by SMiLE.

Actually, "Sloop John B" was used by my music teacher in high school.
Capt.Tuttle
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2006, 01:19:13 PM »

This is my favorite album of all time.  I guess that is why I own five copies of it.  I can't believe somebody gave it a two.  Caroline, No and Hang on to your ego are my favorites.  I kinda wish Caroline, No was longer for some reason.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:15 AM »

Acctualy i think C.No is the perfect length.....and i love the way there are no questions answered in the song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2006, 10:22:35 PM »

Even though I gave this album a 5, I've listened to it so much that I'm kind of tired of it now. Sometimes I will play the backing tracks and sing them while I'm driving.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2007, 08:07:25 PM »

Enough has already been said/written about this album. Anything good that people say/write about it I agree with Grin 5 from me
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »

Mikey, are there any songs on this album sung by Mike Love that you wish was sung by Brian??
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2007, 04:25:13 AM »

Mikey, are there any songs on this album sung by Mike Love that you wish was sung by Brian??

No, I can really dig Mike's voice on this album (on the whole anyway). While I think they weren't his greatest lead vocals ever, I think Mike does a pretty solid job on Thats Not Me and particularly Here Today I really like his lead on that one. Ive stated before that I think that is one of Brians great gifts (knowing who to choose as lead vocalist, what instruments to put in a song etc...) maby not always but almost every song I think, especially on Pet Sounds. Why the question? Do you think I have something against Mike? Razz Anyway, what do you reckon? Do you reckon Brian wouldve sounded better on any of Mikes lead vocals?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2007, 09:23:04 AM »

Not really, I trust Brians' ear. However, I really like the Waiting For the Day with Mike singing from the box set, and the Here Today version with Brian singing from the box set. I think Mike never sounded better than on Sloop John B. I only asked because I was thinking of starting a thread based on that question. Just curious because sometimes that nasaly Mike voice can get annoying, i.e. California Girls. imo
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »

Not really, I trust Brians' ear. However, I really like the Waiting For the Day with Mike singing from the box set, and the Here Today version with Brian singing from the box set. I think Mike never sounded better than on Sloop John B. I only asked because I was thinking of starting a thread based on that question. Just curious because sometimes that nasaly Mike voice can get annoying, i.e. California Girls. imo

Thats funny, cause Im not a big fan of either of those versions (Im not saying I hate them just not that big of a fan). Both Mike and Brians vocals just lack passion for me. They couldve done a better job if they kept having more takes of the lead vocal, but obviously after one or a few takes (or whatever it was) Brian decided to change who would sing lead. Good decision in the end. And yes I really like Mike's vocals on Sloop John B. And I agree Mike's nasally voice can get VERY annoying. I think my most hated Mike nasally voice is his lead vocal on Getcha Back, I just hate it. It ruins a decent song for me, I only listen to it occassionaly for Brians falsetto part. As for California Girls, I think Mikes voice is alright there, not his best lead, but I still think he does a decent job. He has that sort of arrogance about his lead vocal on that song which I think suited it pretty well. I cant have seen anybody else singing that song. Imagine Brian or Carl or any band member singing lead besides him, it would sound hopeless, in my opinion anyway.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2007, 06:26:03 PM »

You're right about California Girls...the only thing is that I can't listen to it repeatedly because his voice gets to be too much, but you're right in saying he was made for that song. I like the "demo" feel to the above stated songs I mentioned, but again, I understand where you're coming from concerning HT, IWFTD. It's amazing that the Beach Boys were so versatile that they could get such dramatically different feels for their songs when another member of the band takes the leads. I listen to the version of IJWMFTT from disc 3 the most, because I really like the echo effect on the vocals used for a measure at the end of the song.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »

You're right about California Girls...the only thing is that I can't listen to it repeatedly because his voice gets to be too much, but you're right in saying he was made for that song. I like the "demo" feel to the above stated songs I mentioned, but again, I understand where you're coming from concerning HT, IWFTD. It's amazing that the Beach Boys were so versatile that they could get such dramatically different feels for their songs when another member of the band takes the leads. I listen to the version of IJWMFTT from disc 3 the most, because I really like the echo effect on the vocals used for a measure at the end of the song.

To be honest the best bit about California Girls (for me anyway) is the backing vocals, absolutely superb!! But yeh I agree with you it is difficult to listen to it repeatedly. Yeh I understand what you mean by the demo feel. I like a lot of those demo's from all eras of the band, they're always really interesting and sometimes some parts of the song are better than the actual version (eg: the vocals might have more passion in them or whatever, such as the early version of "My Diane") Yeh that is why The Beach Boys are so great vocally and the best band ever vocally (to my ears anyway), cause they are so diverse and can "get such dramatically different feels for their songs" . I mean even each member can sound so different on different songs. For example Brian on Til I Die where he sings "Until I Die" at the end of the third verse, that is unbelievable and conveys the right feel for that song (I dont think many people could sing it like that). But then compare that to his vocals on Busy Doin' Nothin' for example and it is just so laid back but it also conveys the right feel for that song. I must say I dont remember the IJWMFTT version from disc 3, Ill have to listen to it again.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »

Speaking of "Pet Sounds" related stuff... I *FINALLY* got around to putting together a rough "Remember The Zoo"... not half bad really!  Obviously, it doesn't much resemble what the phony article described, but it's still interesting to hear.  My version was something like this...

1) In The Back Of My Mind (standard version)
2) Let Him Run Wild ('alternate version' I found online)
3) Summer Means New Love (standard version)
4) The Little Girl I Once Knew (45 version from box)
5) Trombone Dixie (trimmed to remove chatter)
6) In My Childhood ('Still Believe', left channel folded to mono)
7) Pet Sounds (left channel folded to mono)
8} I'm Waiting For The Day (an 'alternate version' I believe?)
9) I'm In Great Shape ('He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move' - the Brian track, folded to mono, with 60's style bass and reverb.  Hey, I was just following the article.)
10) Tones (the Carl 'Smile' track.  Makes a nice closer!)

As for the two missing tracks ("Teeter-Totter Love" and "Remember The Zoo"), I might include the Marcels' TTL if it sounds Beach Boys-ish, AND if I can find it (hint hint), and may fake "Zoo", if I can... but for now, it's not that bad of an album.  Very down-beat and Pet Sounds-ish, in fact!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:22:55 PM by TheLazenby » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »

9) I'm In Great Shape ('He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move' - yes, the eighties version, and yes, it doesn't fit.  Hey, I just followed the article)

Those are two different songs. Did the article you reference say that the latter is the same as the former? It clearly isn't.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2007, 08:35:16 AM »

Well, using the Eighties version was a rough approximation - the article said that the "I'm In Great Shape" that supposedly appeared on "Remember The Zoo" 'evolved' into "Poor Old Body." 

(And yes, I'm well aware of the "Smile" track of that same title.)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »

Two changes to my tracklist - I'm throwing in the Marcels' "Teeter Totter Love" because frankly, I'd hate to have two songs missing.  (I doesn't sound THAT far off from an acapella Beach Boys outtake, really...)  Also, I wanted to keep the "Smile" version of 'Great Shape' in there, so I made a new intro to 'Poor Old Body'.  It's made up of two parts - Brian's piano demo of IIGS, spliced with Purple Chick's version, because Purple Chick's cut off the first couple piano chords.  Then, instead of 'I Wanna Be Around', the distortion cuts to the beginning of 'Poor Old Body'.  Doesn't sound as bad as you'd think, especially since I made POB mono, bassy, and layered with reverb!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »

What a perfect, incredibly moving piece of utterly uncompromised art this album is. After it's been said a million times, one still can't stress it quite enough. I have to confess I didn't see what the fuss was all about concerning Caroline No when I first heard Pet Sounds some eight years ago. Today, it strikes me as some of the most ruthlessly personal songs ever committed to tape. Unabashedly painful yet still too beautiful to not listen to it over and over again. Especially with this song however, I clearly prefer mono over stereo.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »

I clearly prefer mono over stereo.
Stereo all the way! I prefer the stereo version because you can hear all the instrumental nuances. The first time I heard God Only Knows (2004-I'm still fairly new in BB-land) it was the stereo version. After I bought Pet Sounds and heard it in mono, it felt like there was something missing, like some of the instruments sound like they were crowded out or mixed really low. The stereo mix makes the music sound more "open" and a lot clearer. Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Today, and Summer Nights all need every single track to be remixed into stereo, IMHO.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2008, 09:25:32 AM »

Pet Sounds was the first Beach Boys album I heard, as it was the only BB CD we had in collection.  Endless Summer we had on vinyl but I never really had a chance to listen to that.  I really did find it hard to get into at first, save for the two songs I already knew (Sloop John B and Wouldn't It Be Nice).  Relistening is insanely strong though, as I must have listened to it a good 20 times more than any other BB record (that says something for me considering I don't like to overwork my listens).  It wasn't until I got into Wild Honey and the like that I liked Pet Sounds to the extent I do now.

Wouldn't It Be Nice - 5/5
You Still Believe In Me - 5/5
That's Not Me - 4.5/5
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - 5/5
I'm Waiting For The Day - 5/5
Let's Go Away For A While - 5/5
Sloop John B - 5/5
God Only Knows - 5/5
I Know There's An Answer - 4.5/5
Here Today - 5/5
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times - 4.5/5
Pet Sounds - 5/5
Caroline No - 5/5

The ones I rated slightly lower than others were not based on lack of validity as a song (they're produced and performed to their full potential actually).  I just don't get quite as much enjoyment out of them as I might with my ultimate BB favorites.  Pet Sounds still is easily a 5.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx