gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:11:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 122470 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Pet Sounds, released May 1966.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:09:10 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:50:16 PM »

Since my first hearing in 1982, I have pledged my devotion, under severe duress for the first ten years.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:50:33 PM »

Among the two or three best albums of all time. Brilliant. A masterpiece. For me, great on every level--for musical analysis, for empty-headed pleasure, alone, with company.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »

No words can describe this album. 5 stars.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »

Since my first hearing in 1982, I have pledged my devotion, under severe duress for the first ten years.

I'm almost glad I hadn't heard it until the mid-90s, when Brian was back in fashion among elitists. It made it only mildly embarrassing for me to admit I loved his music...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 03:58:44 PM »

Brian was back in fashion among elitists.

Oh boy, and how. It made me embarrassed to say I liked it as well.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 04:01:29 PM »

As always, though, it's just a matter of time before it comes, goes, comes, goes, etc. Funny, because unless I'm listening wrong, the albums sound pretty much the same (remastering and alternate versions notwithstanding). Every time I get a disc to review, I find the press notes amusing, always name-dropping whatever the new hip reference is. The past year has been all Smiths, Cure, etc. The couple of years before that there was a lot of Gram Parsons, Byrds, etc. Before that, Neutral Milk Hotel. Before that, Beach Boys. Next it'll probably be back to Zeppelin or Queen or something. Sigh...

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 04:03:20 PM »

Every time I get a disc to review, I find the press notes amusing, always name-dropping whatever the new hip reference is.

I never even read 'em. The last one I read was when I reviwed some Lita Ford album in 91, and the notes said Lita was "the female Alice Cooper".

Wolfgang
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 02:02:54 AM »

One of the greatest lp ever recorded. A milesone in pop music, and for me, till smile came out, the best record of all time.

Smile!

Wolfgang

Smile!

Wolfgang
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 02:34:54 AM »

A total masterpiece. Like someone once said, "Pet Sounds" should be used in schools for music-education. The greatest collection of pop-songs ever. And only surpased by SMiLE.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 04:53:11 AM »

Some jaw droppingly beautiful tracks (Dont Talk, Let's Got Away, YSBIM, God Only Knows, IJWMFTT) are marred by some rather crap ones (Here Today, I Know Theres an Ego, Sloop John B, Pet Sounds)... 

The album has been completely drained of spark and life by the incredibly fine tuned instrument and vocal arrangements, hell, "Today" sounds loose by comparison.  There is no flair to the lead vocals, everything sounds rehearsed to buggary.

A brilliant, but terribly flawed album.  4 stars.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 11:44:30 AM »

An album that should be in it's own catagory. Songs that were able to capture the essence of growing up.  Pet Sounds is the teenage symphony to God. It was able to capture the feelings of lust, longing, love and alienation so well. This album made me a fan. I would not be here without it. 5 all the way. The only album I was afraid of hearing on CD.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 12:28:42 PM »

Some jaw droppingly beautiful tracks (Dont Talk, Let's Got Away, YSBIM, God Only Knows, IJWMFTT) are marred by some rather crap ones (Here Today, I Know Theres an Ego, Sloop John B, Pet Sounds)... 

The album has been completely drained of spark and life by the incredibly fine tuned instrument and vocal arrangements, hell, "Today" sounds loose by comparison.  There is no flair to the lead vocals, everything sounds rehearsed to buggary.

I can't imagine disagreeing more strongly with your assessment of the "rather crap ones." You've listed some of what I consider among the best songs on the album., and I think the lead vocals almost always sound great. There wasn't the sort of flair they may have had in a rock album, but it wasn't a rock album (for the most part).

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 01:34:56 PM »

Pet Sounds is, to me, as SG said, THE teenage symphony to God.  A topnotch offering.
Production, orchestration, harmony, longing, angst, and beauty.

I have, at times, wondered what might have made a better album cover.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »

The Greatest Album of the Twentieth Century, as Abbott put it.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 08:17:33 AM »

Best album ever hands down. Although I do prefer the alternate "Im Waiting For The Day" with Mike on lead, and the alternate Sloop with Carl on the first verse, but even still greatest piece of music ever, imo. Perfect harmonies, perfect orchestration, etc. etc. I could go on, but I won't.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
artie
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 01:18:38 PM »

Pure perfection. The best album of the rock era. Does not sound dated today, as Sgt. Pepper does.  The tape was "saturated with music", to quote Van Dyke Parks. Brian's peak...and what a peak it was.

There have been nights I have put "Let's Go Away For Awhile" on endless loop and listened for 2 hours straight. Gorgeous.

Strongest 5 there is.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 10:36:04 PM »

After 30+ years, *Pet Sounds* is still a mid-range album to me, which has a couple of truly great songs on it (GOK and "Caroline, No"). Mostly, PS is not enough rock- and/or blues-oriented for my tastes.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:40:05 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 03:19:15 PM »

God Only Knows and Caroline No are like...the least "rockin" songs on Pet Sounds.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Chris D.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 04:57:21 PM »

I can't imagine disagreeing more strongly with your assessment of the "rather crap ones." You've listed some of what I consider among the best songs on the album., and I think the lead vocals almost always sound great. There wasn't the sort of flair they may have had in a rock album, but it wasn't a rock album (for the most part).

I agree with Luther.  Socially, one of our major mistakes in appropriating psychoanalysis is to focus too much on immediate, unrefined communication in areas where it's not important.  An album is supposed to be studied, otherwise they'd just release the demos.  Musically, punk has done the same damage.  People are too afraid of perfectionism.  Why wouldn't you try to be as self-conscious of your message as possible, in an attempt to make your message as clear as is necessary?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 08:13:57 AM »

I agree with Luther.  Socially, one of our major mistakes in appropriating psychoanalysis is to focus too much on immediate, unrefined communication in areas where it's not important.  An album is supposed to be studied, otherwise they'd just release the demos.  Musically, punk has done the same damage.  People are too afraid of perfectionism.  Why wouldn't you try to be as self-conscious of your message as possible, in an attempt to make your message as clear as is necessary?

I've got to disagree with your agreement. Sorry!

I don't think it is fair to say "an album is supposed to be studied."

In fact, I don't think it's fair to say "an album" anything--albums are different. They're created for different reasons, recorded a certain way for different reasons, released for different reasons, purchased for different reasons and enjoyed for different reasons (as well, of course, as hated for different reasons). And those reasons aren't necessarily better than other reasons. Pet Sounds is a poop rock and roll album, but a great recording of Brian Wilson songs. Pet Sounds can be studied, but that doesn't mean it was meant to be studied--it can be felt instead, and quite appropriately so. A rock 'n' roll album sometimes is basic below the point of being studied, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior, just different. For example, it may have interesting lyrics that are worth studying. Or both lyrics and music may be elementary, but the vibe just makes you wanna shake your ass. That's just as valid.

I think we get into trouble when we over-generalize to the point of what an album is supposed to do. That's what corporate execs do, and because of it, they release glossy focus-group trash. After all, they've got "proof" that it's what we all like so much these days.

Chris D.
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 08:48:16 AM »

Sorry Luther, I meant "studied" as in the songwriter/group/producer has thought through the material and knows exactly what they want and how to execute it.  Not that happy accidents don't produce great results.  I just meant that there's nothing wrong with thoroughly working through your own creation to make it perfect, instead of just putting out the first take of each song and letting the fans decide what it all means.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 08:53:48 AM »

There is nothing wrong with working through it to make it your view of complete. And that might be note-perfect, vibe-perfect (and thus quite possibly sloppy as hell) or however else you want it: tightly arranged, minimalist or anywhere in between. The artist should be granted freedom to produce art that can succeed or fail in whatever manner it is taken by the audience.

Although that sentence brings to mind the question of "editing" by band members, outside arrangers, producers, record labels, etc. We all act as such whenever we sit on boards like this and say "X would have been a better album if only the bridge of Y had been omitted and this song would have replaced that one." It's a funny thing. Music, unlike, say, painting, is so full of different influences on the final product, it is rarely the true work of one person that succeeds or fails on its own.

Jason
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »

Pet Sounds is the first emo album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 03:15:34 PM »

Pet Sounds is the first emo album.

Don't make me hate it.

gfx