gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:05:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 122457 times)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »

As my first post in this board I'd like to say that Pet Sounds is the most incredible and beautiful thing that has ever come to my ears, and made me a firm believer in the following quote: Beauty will save the world.

There is no bad day with Pet Sounds. I wish it'd last forever (or maybe a rest every 3 hours for some Friends to jump in and make my life full)
Well said! Wonderful album and I love it to pieces.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Les Garçons de la plage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »

Talking about this album is - forgive my blasphemous metaphor - like a christian describing what The Bible and The New Testament means to him/her.
The Beach Boys never had it so good - before or after.
When I was 17... it was a very good Xmas(1993)... what with my-gift-to-self-CD of  Pet Sounds on repeat and all. I had heard some Beach Boys stuff as a very young kid (a beatle loony then), just Wow! A Great Concert (or whatever the 9-song "live" cut-out piece of supermarket vinyl was called) and a bit of 1962-1965, but Pet Sounds really impressed me - effortlessly overwhelming songwriting and genius vocal/orchestral arrangements!
I kinda forgot about The Beach Boys afterwards until I found the "Odeon" bootleg around early 2005 - another mind-blowing find. Haven't forgotten about the Beach Boys since  - actually prefer it to the Beatles nowadays!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »

I find that 1-5 isn't a fine-enough scale. I wanted to give this something like a 4.75, or something like that (just a few songs I find "meh"), but I also didn't want to round it up all the way to 5. So I gave it a 4, even though I think it's better than a 4.

If it weren't for the Smile sessions as a comparison, I'd give it a 5. But since I think Smile is a 5, and it's better than Pet Sounds, I find myself forced to give it a 4.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

I was wondering, what is the definitive version of 'Pet Sounds' in terms of sound quality?. I know there's a number of remasters, the Pet Sounds Sessions, stereo/mono mixs etc., DVD-A version etc.  but what version is the best?.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »

I was wondering, what is the definitive version of 'Pet Sounds' in terms of sound quality?. I know there's a number of remasters, the Pet Sounds Sessions, stereo/mono mixs etc., DVD-A version etc.  but what version is the best?.
My favorite mono is the 72 Brother/Reprise reissue, followed by 93 DCC, lastly the 09 AUdio Fidelity. For Stereo, the Mofi is great, followed the PS Box, then the 06 40th Anniv. edition.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:08:31 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: June 25, 2013, 02:12:01 AM »

I've been listening to Pet Sounds now since I was around 14 years old. At first I was disappointed at the lack of "Surf Music" sound, but over the years, as I matured, I learned to listen and enjoy what to me represents one of the greatest albums of all time.

For me though, it's not the really well known tracks that steal the show, but songs such as "I Know There's An Answer", "Here Today", "That's Not Me" and of course the ever wonderful "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 25, 2013, 07:16:25 AM »

I've been listening to Pet Sounds now since I was around 14 years old. At first I was disappointed at the lack of "Surf Music" sound, but over the years, as I matured, I learned to listen and enjoy what to me represents one of the greatest albums of all time.

For me though, it's not the really well known tracks that steal the show, but songs such as "I Know There's An Answer", "Here Today", "That's Not Me" and of course the ever wonderful "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".

Smiley Mark
Since you were 14? Was that last year or 47 years ago. I can't get a sense of how long you have been listening to Pet Sounds. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2013, 07:36:12 AM »

Smiley Mark
Since you were 14? Was that last year or 47 years ago. I can't get a sense of how long you have been listening to Pet Sounds. Wink

Well, a quick look at my profile would have shown that I am now 43, so around 29 years Wink

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »

Thanks! I read threads, not profiles. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:28 AM »

Here's my opinion:

Easily the best Beach Boys album, no contest (except for Smile and Sunflower, the three are equal. Possibly Pacific Ocean Blue as well, but that's a solo album).
But it's not my personal favourite, as much as I love this. I do prefer at least 20/20, Sunflower and Surf's Up, however.

God Only Knows is my favourite track, and I also love I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Pet Sounds, Caroline No, Don't Talk, You Still Believe In Me, and Let's Go Away For A While.
Wouldn't It Be Nice i always thought of as all right, a bit overrated and overplayed. Don't care much for That's Not Me, I'm Waiting For The Day, I Know There's An Answer (Hang On To Your Ego), and Here Today. Sloop John B is totally out of place, and shouldn't have been on this album. The Little Girls I Once Knew would have fit in much better.

5/5! I must say this one of best album of the 20th Century, and that's quite a feat!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:01:16 PM by Jarhead » Logged
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2013, 06:55:25 AM »

Stunning! In my opinion it is the best album they released in the 1960s. And the order in which the songs appear is perfect. 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' is my personal favorite from the record. I must admit though, I prefer the Carl version of Sloop John B from disc 3 of the Pet Sounds Sessions.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2013, 06:23:12 PM »

After extensive research and deep analysis I came to the conclusion that Sloop John B has the coolest bass line of all time.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2013, 02:00:32 AM »

I gave it 5. Even though in my opinion it's not the best album by The Beach boys. I'd rather rate it somewhere between 4.5-4.9. It's impossible to review these tracks separately, it's meant to be looked as a whole and it works like that pretty much perfectly. Sloop John B is the weakest link. I don't like the lyrics so much.  Pet Sounds is a tricky one to listen. To fully enjoy it I need to have a certain mood or feeling. Usually a sad mood. And it's not the kinda record to listen in a car while driving. It's a great album, no doubt about that. But I just happen to think that for example Love You is a better one. It can be listened wherever, whenever and sounds more unique. But yeah don't get me wrong, I love this album. It's propably nearest to perfection anyone ever made. But it needs a certain state of mind to listen to, and that makes it 'not my personal favorite'. But when is the right time to listen Pet Sounds, the right feeling, then there's nothing better in the world.  
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »

Pet Sounds is a TRUE work of art taken as a whole piece.. Inventive + complex .. One of the greatest pieces of music on the face of the earth.. 5/5  Greater than Smile. This pulls at your heart strings.. Smile pulls at your Intellect .. You Still Believe In Me is a stunner.!  Read the words .. BW could be talking to a girl or to GOD.. AMAZING.  !!!!!!!!!! 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:02 AM »

Giving this a spin for the umpteenth time. I'm blown away at how good the bass lines are for this album...especially in Don't Talk, Sloop John, I Know There's An Answer, IJWMFTT, and Caroline No. Sometimes they're not even complex, but they work so well.

Also, I'm glad that Mike changed the lyrics for Hang On To Your Ego - vocally, IKTAA sounds so much better.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 20, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

I see no reason to explain.

5/5
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2014, 12:15:49 AM »

There's no way this could be anything less than a 5/5. It's all been said before, how brilliant and beautiful and influential it is. All I have to add is the fact that I'm another one among the millions of others who found solace and comfort in this music. My high school was a hellhole, full of back-stabbing "frenemies" sadistic punks and endless sources of angst. To come home, listen to my trusty mono/stereo CD of this, and be reminded that I wasn't alone in having these feelings...it meant so much to me. SMiLE may have overtaken it as my favorite album, but there's still a sincere emotional vibe with Pet Sounds that makes it irreplaceable. SMiLE is music that blows your mind, Pet Sounds is music that soothes your soul.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »

There's no way this could be anything less than a 5/5. It's all been said before, how brilliant and beautiful and influential it is. All I have to add is the fact that I'm another one among the millions of others who found solace and comfort in this music. My high school was a hellhole, full of back-stabbing "frenemies" sadistic punks and endless sources of angst. To come home, listen to my trusty mono/stereo CD of this, and be reminded that I wasn't alone in having these feelings...it meant so much to me. SMiLE may have overtaken it as my favorite album, but there's still a sincere emotional vibe with Pet Sounds that makes it irreplaceable. SMiLE is music that blows your mind, Pet Sounds is music that soothes your soul.
You're a nice fellow, Mujan. I quickly quote your post before you edit sth. in it. Amazing post.

I really appreciate you saying so. Thank you!

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Little Pad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »

5/5 obviously. Most lyrically relatable album ever maybe.
CroatianSensation
Smiley Smile Associate

97' Beach Boys enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 14, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »

Crucial and legendary. What an album
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »

This is not just the best album ever made but I'd put it on a different level to whichever is No. 2 because the arrangements and vocal stacks are just so perfect and transcend anything else in rock and pop music. Motown comes close as an ouevre but that was spread over many years and featured the contributions of many talents. This is essentiually one guy ably supported by Asher and the Wrecking Crew, then his fellow vocalists.
KDS
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2015, 06:49:49 AM »

I gave this one a five, and I really can't write anything positive that hasn't already been said before. 

However..............................

While I think Pet Sounds is a great album, I do think it's a tad overrated.  I don't think it's the greatest album ever made.  I don't think it's in the top ten albums ever made.  I don't even think its the greatest Beach Boys album (Sunflower for me). 

I think the title track is one of my least favorite of Brian's instrumental numbers. 

Am I the only one who thinks I'm Waiting for the Day sounds a little incomplete and underproduced? 

I will say that I have no issue with Sloop John B being on the record, and I might be wrong, but I don't think the album would've been as loved / acclaimed without it. 

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2015, 07:12:49 AM »

5/5 and a Happy 76th Birthday to Tony Asher!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »

I figured that I should say happy birthday (49 years old!) to this lovely little album.

I must confess that I don't think I realized how amazing PS is until recently, although "Wouldn't It Be Nice" has been my favorite song since I was little... I still can't get over how much the Beach Boys have meant to me throughout my entire life.
I could write a more thorough review on this, but I ought to be studying for my biology test now. Sad

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
YoungInMind
Smiley Smile Newbie

Anna Maria Island = my other home

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »

I owned it on vinyl years back. No idea what my Mom did with all of my albums when she sold the family home in the late 1970's .  I recently purchased Pet Sounds on CD along with various other Beach Boys and Brian Wilson's No Pier Pressure  (and including some Bruce Johnston solo music as I <3 Disney Girls with the group and his solo seen on video.)

Brian Wilson's musical genius at it's best is Pet Sounds! 5 stars!!!     w00t!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx