gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:20:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 122471 times)
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »

I swear i hear new things every time i listen to this. It's an album that doesn't need to be studied to be enjoyed, but is enjoyed by me the more and more i dig in and research and listen to it. This album can't be spoken of enough. This was the first album I ever bought, not knowing what new thing I would hear on first listen, and the fact remains the same for my 400th (at least). There is so much in this album. One truly cannot be musically educated til they've heard it. This is any musician's dream album. This is the album I would make if I could claim rights to any. This amount of power and beauty and complexity and simpleness has yet to be matched for me. Truly Stunning. 5/5
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »

I swear i hear new things every time i listen to this. It's an album that doesn't need to be studied to be enjoyed, but is enjoyed by me the more and more i dig in and research and listen to it. This album can't be spoken of enough. This was the first album I ever bought, not knowing what new thing I would hear on first listen, and the fact remains the same for my 400th (at least). There is so much in this album. One truly cannot be musically educated til they've heard it. This is any musician's dream album. This is the album I would make if I could claim rights to any. This amount of power and beauty and complexity and simpleness has yet to be matched for me. Truly Stunning. 5/5

I agree 100%.

My first "Pet Sounds" experience was last summer when, during an extremly warm night when I couldn't sleep at all, I decided I should give the album a try. I was totally blown away. I never heard anything so perfect in my whole life. I remember going to the window at about 5 or 6 o'clock while "I'm Waiting For The Day" came on. I sat throught the whole song and watched the beauty of the sunrise. To this day, "I'm Waiting For The Day" is my favourite song on the album and also one of my top favourites in the Beach Boys catalogue. Since then I've listened to more and more albums and well, here I am.

Pet Sounds remains to me one of the greatest experience I was ever lucky to assist to. 5/5.

P.S.: Brian was right about the whole "listen-to-it-in-a-dark-room-with-headphones-on" kind of thing. Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »

^ indeed.

It's a shame that more people don't have this revelation.

The first time I listened to Pet Sounds I had the album on as background music - I didn't really listen to it. The second time I really listened and I was just blown away. I mean I remember standing in my living room staring at the stereo thinking "Why haven't I heard this before??" - When 'I Know There's An Answer' came on I knew that this was the best album I had ever heard.

And I've given the album to friends/family as gifts, and none of them seem to have this same experience. But it seems as if most of us here have had this 'A-Ha!' moment - wonder what makes us different lol

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »

And I've given the album to friends/family as gifts, and none of them seem to have this same experience. But it seems as if most of us here have had this 'A-Ha!' moment - wonder what makes us different lol

Yep, been there, done that. I really think it makes us better rather than different. Smiley
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »

I agree 100%.

My first "Pet Sounds" experience was last summer when, during an extremly warm night when I couldn't sleep at all, I decided I should give the album a try. I was totally blown away. I never heard anything so perfect in my whole life. I remember going to the window at about 5 or 6 o'clock while "I'm Waiting For The Day" came on. I sat throught the whole song and watched the beauty of the sunrise. To this day, "I'm Waiting For The Day" is my favourite song on the album and also one of my top favourites in the Beach Boys catalogue. Since then I've listened to more and more albums and well, here I am.

Pet Sounds remains to me one of the greatest experience I was ever lucky to assist to. 5/5.

P.S.: Brian was right about the whole "listen-to-it-in-a-dark-room-with-headphones-on" kind of thing. Smiley

You know, i've heard him say that, but i've never listened to it in the dark. I know what I'm doing tonight :D and that is a great song, even has a double meaning for you haha. "Waiting for the day" as the sun rises.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2012, 07:09:15 AM »

An absolute freakin' classic. Great lyrics, great harmonies and absolutely beeeeautiful backing tracks. Pet Sounds is one of my all-time favorite albums. 5/5
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2012, 05:48:16 AM »

Sheesh, how couldn't you give this one a 5? Can't believe their are even few ignoramus's that put 2 or 3. Nothing I can really add that hasn't already been boxed and repackaged time and time again. Timeless. 5.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:49:19 AM by Melt Away » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »

Even sea monsters dig it:

(art by John Allison)
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

Happy 46th birthday, Pet Sounds!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

Just heard the MoFi remaster, BUYING IT NOW.

Sounds amazing, adds a whole new dimension, especially on my expensive speakers. Buy it folks, it's 10000x better than the Mono/Stereo CD

BTW: I'm just talking the CD layer, haven't even heard the SACD!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:06:02 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »

Yeah, the new stereo one is a bit better. It's not as loud and a bit more dynamic. The mastering takes out some of the excessive reverb from the previous editions. I wouldn't say it's 1000x better, and maybe not worth the price tag if you're not an audiophile, but it's a nice edition to own.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »

I have to agree; the MoFi stereo version may now be my favorite PS of all. Can't stop listening to it lately.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »

IJWMFTT is AMAZING. The mix is perfect and almost puts Sunflower to shame.

Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »

IJWMFTT is AMAZING. The mix is perfect and almost puts Sunflower to shame.

Pet Sounds in general puts Sunflower to shame.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

5/5, amazing, life-changing, great, blah blah.

Today I just picked up the 180 gram 2008 vinyl pressing, the one with original art. First copy of PS for me on vinyl. However, it has papery dust and crap all over it. In addition, the label is cracked, crinkled and messed up. Did I get a bum copy, or is this a common error?

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »

I've finally driven myself to the lying-down-in-the-dark-with-closed-eyes,-head-between-speakers-with-the-stereo-LP and boy, was that the best/most bizarre thing I've ever experienced! As far as I'm concerned now, that is How Pet Sounds SHOULD be heard, and you are missing out if you haven't.

5/5!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:52 PM »

5/5, amazing, life-changing, great, blah blah.

Today I just picked up the 180 gram 2008 vinyl pressing, the one with original art. First copy of PS for me on vinyl. However, it has papery dust and crap all over it. In addition, the label is cracked, crinkled and messed up. Did I get a bum copy, or is this a common error?
Bum copy. Give it to a bum, and demand a refund/substitute!

@mrmoustachioto: definitely the ultimate way to experience Pet Sounds!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »

First Beach Boys album I ever listened to. Was hooked instantly. The song that stood out for me the most was I Just Wasn't Made for These Times. I don't know why but I felt like the song describes me in some way I can't really explain. Well, it pulled me in the fanbase and eventually I was curious for more.

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

This is pure genius. I could listen to this album over and over again and I'll never get tired of Pet Sounds. My favorite album of all time!

5 stars (If I could give it more, I certainly would. Wouldn't everybody?)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:15:56 PM by TheDumb1 » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

duophonic is a fake stereo where the channels are the same with a delay in one channel (barely a minisecond) to make it sound stereo.

A good idea for acoustic guitars and vocals, BAD for final mixes.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »

Some duo phonic does that, as matter of fact im almost sure PS does

halblaineisgood
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »

I heard one of ya'll saying that the Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds two-fer has two different covers: one is white, and the other is brown. For some musical reason, I want the brown one, correct? Help. No pics on amazon...catalog number or somethin??
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:44 AM »

I've seen a copy of the brown PS lp on eBay w/o CATP. This copy is MS 2197.
The CATP/white cover PS catalog number is 2MS 2083.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2012, 03:49:30 AM »

WIBN - 10/10
YSBIM - 10/10
TNM - 9/10
DT(PYHOMS) - 9/10
IWFT - 7/10
LGAFA - 8/10
SJB - 9/10

GOK - 10/10
IKTAA - 8/10
HT - 9/10
IJWMFTT - 10/10
PS - 8/10
C,N - 9/10

Average of 8.92/10 = 9/10 :/ but then again I compare them to each other, not to music in general. I like to differentiate between the songs rather than award them all 9 or 10...
would still give it 5 stars
Heteronym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »

As my first post in this board I'd like to say that Pet Sounds is the most incredible and beautiful thing that has ever come to my ears, and made me a firm believer in the following quote: Beauty will save the world.

There is no bad day with Pet Sounds. I wish it'd last forever (or maybe a rest every 3 hours for some Friends to jump in and make my life full)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx