gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:26:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 122445 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »

I usually listen to the mono version.

The first time the album hit hard I had listened in stereo.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
theCOD
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »

Pet Sounds DCC version... (on weed, man!)  There is no other way to hear it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 04:07:43 PM by theCOD » Logged
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »

If I can't enjoy something sober then I view that music as "bad".

Of course being high highlights things and you lapse into the groove with ease, but having to be stoned to like it isn't cool.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »

I rarely listen to Pet Sounds with others. Once was in the car one time with my two friends.. I popped it in and we were all singing along to Wouldn't It Be Nice, my two friends singing the lead and me doing the backing vocals, having a grand old time. Then it gets to the fadeout and my friend turns the radio on and says, "Okay, that was the only Beach Boys song I like."

Another was a few days before me and my girlfriend broke up, and we knew our relationship was failing.. we're lying on her bed and she says "Put in a CD". Somehow forgetting the first song, I put in Pet Sounds, which I had given to her for Christmas and she hadn't yet listened to in full. So I put it in and lay back on the bed.. Wouldn't It Be Nice comes on and we both erupt into tears. Less than a minute into the song, I rip the plug out of the wall.

So, yeah, alone in the dark for me, too. When I'm at my beach house I look out my window and see the streetlights and the buildings and the ocean horizon.. it's an image I've visually connected with Pet Sounds.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
theCOD
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2006, 07:45:55 PM »

If I can't enjoy something sober then I view that music as "bad".

Of course being high highlights things and you lapse into the groove with ease, but having to be stoned to like it isn't cool.

I enjoy it no matter what state of mind I'm in.  I really meant that the DCC version is the best, and only way to hear it, for me...  listening to it while "under the influence" just enhances it.
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »

this album really shows how the beach boys were just a completly different type of band than any category you would want to throw them into with the other artists of that time. its not really oldies or classic rock or anything, its truly unique. this is the best thing they did, but i think maybe only cause smile wasnt released, sorry.
Jason
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »

Didn't the Today album accomplish that? The second side?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »

J, don't feed the animals.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2006, 03:41:43 PM »

The Beach Boys proved themself to be more than that meets the eye many times. Consider the song, "Surfer Girl". Mention this to anybody and they'll laugh. They don't understand what's going on with those harmonies and the music which set those guys aside from every other band so early on.

Pet Sounds was just the album which shoved that fact to the listener.

Jason
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2006, 04:08:12 PM »

J, don't feed the animals.

Not feeding anyone. Just engaging in intelligent discussion.
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »

helped bring me out of my shell.

i first bought a Capitol cassette of Ps. circa 1989, thinking from the summer dreams tv bio pic
it was going to be all round psychedelic, like hendrix.

what i heard from wouldnt it, all the way to caroline no......i cannot explain too accurately.

it was a carol of broque pop and carnival magic trip and teenge longing. just what i needed, at 19 yrs old.
artie
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2006, 06:27:43 AM »

I have enjoyed your book since I picked it up 2 weeks ago.  I have one question for you though...in the prologue to the Pet Sounds song discussion, you mention that Brian, in his quest for perfection, actually re-did alot of the group vocals himself, in effect wiping the group and making it a solo performance in spots.  You then state that a listen to the box set vox only disc plays this out.

While it is obvious that Don't Talk and Caroline No are straight solo efforts, I am wondering what vocals you are talking about. Could it be, my guess, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and/or You Still Believe In Me? To my ear, Wouldn't It Be Nice is clearly the Beach Boy blend, as are the vox on I'm Waiting For The Day, God Only Knows, and Sloop.

I appreciate your elaboration...and your book.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2006, 07:26:47 AM »

Yes, I have that similiar question.  I bought his book last week and read it in two days.  Unfortunately due to the amount of space he had to cram all this information in, there's very little chance of ellaboration or examples given for claims like this.  I wish the book were double the length, at least, just to flesh out some of the stuff he says.  Some of the writing in the Christmas section was confusing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2006, 08:04:30 AM »

I have enjoyed your book since I picked it up 2 weeks ago.  I have one question for you though...in the prologue to the Pet Sounds song discussion, you mention that Brian, in his quest for perfection, actually re-did alot of the group vocals himself, in effect wiping the group and making it a solo performance in spots.  You then state that a listen to the box set vox only disc plays this out.

While it is obvious that Don't Talk and Caroline No are straight solo efforts, I am wondering what vocals you are talking about. Could it be, my guess, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and/or You Still Believe In Me? To my ear, Wouldn't It Be Nice is clearly the Beach Boy blend, as are the vox on I'm Waiting For The Day, God Only Knows, and Sloop.

I appreciate your elaboration...and your book.

"IJWMFTT" is almost a BW solo vocal effort - there are seven tracks of vocals, and all but one are all Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2006, 08:07:22 AM »

Yes, I have that similiar question.  I bought his book last week and read it in two days.  Unfortunately due to the amount of space he had to cram all this information in, there's very little chance of ellaboration or examples given for claims like this.  I wish the book were double the length, at least, just to flesh out some of the stuff he says.  Some of the writing in the Christmas section was confusing.

Know what you mean - I had a limit to adhere to, or so I was told, so in the end the equivalent of four pages of text were taken out. So, when I saw the completed book, I wasn't AT ALL happy with the amount of blank paper scattered throughout. At a rough estimate, it totals something like ten full pages.  Angry

At some time in the indefinite future I'm going to explore the possibility of liscensing the text back from Omnibus, adding to and expanding it, and publishing it privately, or maybe as an eBook.

But don't  hold your breath...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 08:10:05 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2006, 12:28:58 PM »

"IJWMFTT" is almost a BW solo vocal effort - there are seven tracks of vocals, and all but one are all Brian.

All but two, and keep in mind that those are full group vocals.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2006, 01:28:21 PM »

The track sheets show all Brian except "Group".

This I suppose could mean a group of B. Wilson's though I better think it to be the Beach Boys.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2006, 01:32:56 PM »

This I suppose could mean a group of B. Wilson's

Except for that pesky sound a 6th generation tape bounce.
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »

Well, I've ordered a copy.  I'll be happy to share my thoughts once it arrives.  In the meantime, I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has one already.
DUMB ANGEL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2006, 01:33:20 PM »

Listening to Pet Sounds in the dark on my headphones is one of my pleasures also. I love the wierd toy piano sound in the song Here Today
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2006, 02:46:33 PM »

i think it wouldve been better if actually just was pet sounds, how insane would that have been?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2006, 03:02:52 PM »

i think it wouldve been better if actually just was pet sounds, how insane would that have been?

I once read a review on amazon from a kid who was reviewing some albums for his Dad. I assume he never listened to PS because he slagged it off as fruity pet sounds from goats and llama's and the like.

matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »

haha thats funny, but seriously, could a better album be made than this?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »

Yep. See thread below.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
matt 1234
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2006, 03:14:11 PM »

now thats funny