gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:35:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Pet Sounds
5 - 201 (93.5%)
4 - 9 (4.2%)
3 - 2 (0.9%)
2 - 2 (0.9%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 197

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 122511 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 08:43:25 AM »

I'd buy it if they went with the back cover artwork done for the Warner Bros. release in the 70s (featuring the photo of the spilled bag of peanuts - I have fond memories of that).
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2006, 11:56:29 AM »

I prefer the actual artist to do the mix and release it for us all to hear.

It makes me think less of the person and myself if i'd be making my own mix of something.

I just like a finished package.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2006, 12:18:01 PM »

But on the other side, if it would have came out, would Brian have finished SMiLE?
Honestly, I would've rather had the Beach Boys version.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chris D.
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »

But on the other side, if it would have came out, would Brian have finished SMiLE?

No, I would have.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006, 02:50:27 PM »

Well, I just want to hear the discrete tracks.  I have absolutely no desire to do my own mixes of Beach Boys material.  So whatever it takes to hear those discrete tracks.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 02:54:16 PM »

I'm thinking it was going to be more like three discs or so of the recorded Smile material, which the user could then pick or choose from. Do you think He Gives Speeches should've been in Smile? By all means, put it in. Think the only reason Good Vibrations was included was because of pressure from the label and was not really part of Brian's vision? Then leave that one out.

I'm telling you, it would've been awesome.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2006, 05:02:41 PM »

I can't imagine who would need it/buy it.  Unless they plan a blitz of an ad campaign to entice people who don't already own it to "buy the greatest album of all time".

That's the thing...a new PS release and promo campaign would not be directed towards us, but for the unwashed masses who might not already own a copy of PS. 

I'd love it if the ad campaign was along the lines of what they did for Beatles 1--aiming for the youth market.  There are a lot of kids out there that neeeeed this album.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2006, 11:38:23 PM »

Good point!

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2006, 10:40:38 AM »

I'm not buying another copy of Pet Sounds. Enough is enough. Maybe on it's 50th Anniversary it will be warranted.

SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »

If you've already got it, and there are no bonuses, there's no need to get it again. However, like Margarita said, a new generation *needs* to discover it. I'm all for an anniversary release for that reason alone.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »

They can't discover it from the 50,000 issues already out there?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2006, 11:48:44 AM »

Nope. They demanded a marketing campaign!  :D

It ocurrs to me that the last run of cd's may be going OOP. Perhaps rather than just do a new run, it was decided to do something for the anniversary. It may be the only thing that can be agreed on at BRI these days.

SurferGirl7
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2006, 12:44:42 PM »

Maybe on the aniv. you can mix the album backwards  :D
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2006, 01:11:40 PM »

Is it the greatest album of the 20th century?  Who knows.  I guess it depends on your definition of great and what the ingredients to a great album are.  Is it top-shelf musically and does it hold together well as a whole album?  You bet your ass.  I'd definitely call this the greatest album of the 1960s, and it's certainly in the top 3 greatest albums of all time, IMO.  5 Stars.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 10:14:34 AM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2006, 01:17:09 PM »

Me. It is.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »

How could I forget, Ian knows all!  Shame on me!  Wink

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »

Just the obvious stuff!

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2006, 02:28:49 PM »

Worst. Album. Ever.

They should've stuck to what they knew best : Songs about pre-marital sex with girls on the beach after they just got a rush of adrenaline from driving in their fast cars to make it to the hamburger shop on time. None of that emotional junk.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

If that ain't Heaven, I ain't goin'.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2006, 11:56:25 PM »

I have not been able to listen to this album since me and my girlfriend broke up. I get through half of the intro of Wouldn't It Be Nice before bursting into tears and turning it off.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2006, 06:46:58 PM »

I stole this from another BB fansite without any guilt whatsoever, since I wrote this little note. Almost 10 years ago, in fact. God I was so immature! But Pet Sounds meant a lot to me then and still means a lot to me. God Only Knows was sung at my wedding (somewhat poorly, but that's another story) and my wife and I have comforted each other with Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder). 

I can't add anything more, really. People have written books about this record.

5 stars.

Back to Spring 1996!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pet Sounds" to me was something that I could (and sometimes still) identify with greatly. I've heard the tone of PS described as "self-obsessed". As a teen turning into adulthood, I was very introspective and I had a lot of personal issues that I had to deal with at that age (17-18) regarding love, my place in this world, and my personal fears. To hear Brian and the others sing about those very same things on PS was very comforting to me. It gave me the impression that Brian was my closest friend and that he was singing directlt TO ME. It was as if he was right there in the room with me saying, "I totally understand EXACTLY what you are going through." I totally identified with having "fair-weathered friends" who copped out, stayed in their safety zones, tripped through their day and wasted all their thoughts at night. I almost lost the friendship of a girl who I was in love with but didn't return my feelings. My initial feelings echoed "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "You Still Beleive in Me", "Don't Talk", and "God Only Knows". Going back a couple of albums, I was so bitten by this experience that I didn't want to risk my immense joy or my grave disappoitment if I revealed my true feelings, just like Brian in "Please Let Me Wonder". When I did come clean and I found out that she didn't feel the same way, "Caroline No", really seemed to fit my feelings. I don't know nor do I care whether PS is "great art", but all I know is that is was a best friend to me at a time when I felt that I didn't have one.
BTW, the girl and I did make up, but I feel that our relationship is and probably never will be as close as it once was.

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »

God Only Knows and Caroline No are like...the least "rockin" songs on Pet Sounds.

Those are the 2 songs that Carl sang in concert. That's why Emdeeh likes 'em.

She never was a Pet Sounds lover.

To me, a BB fan not liking Pet Sounds is about as perverse as not like weekends and holidays.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2006, 07:11:52 PM »

Especially since you could consider the road to Pet Sounds being carved out from the very start. (The early ballads....The Lonely Sea....) That melancholy outlook was never lost in any era of their music.

Jason
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2006, 05:24:29 PM »

To me, a BB fan not liking Pet Sounds is about as perverse as not like weekends and holidays.

I could name ten Beach Boys albums I like more than Pet Sounds. Not just the obvious ones, either.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »

Let me guess.
SMiLEY, Honey, Love You, Sunflower, Friends, 20/20, Surf's Up, Today, Summer Days, All Summer Long.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx