gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:08:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 20/20
5 - 46 (30.7%)
4 - 67 (44.7%)
3 - 32 (21.3%)
2 - 5 (3.3%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 136

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 20/20  (Read 93081 times)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2016, 05:14:48 AM »

In "I Can Hear Music" there is a nearly inaudible shout(?) buried under the part where Carl sings "the sounds of the city baby, seem to disappear." It happens at the same time later. I always wondered if this was left on there intentionally.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2016, 07:37:08 AM »

Apart from the juvenile "All I Want To Do" I'd say not a bad track in sight. (Yes, even the much-maligned "screaming guitar" on "Bluebirds" sounds great to me.) I think the sheer variety helps.

I confess to preferring the single, one-word version of "Cotton Fields" but Brian's original has its own charms. "I Can Hear Music" is simply stunning and far superior, I feel, to "Then I Kissed Her" in the Spector stakes. All good stuff. Even the "Smile" tracks fit in nicely.

Well... "AIWTD" is mercifully brief so I'll be charitable (it's the weekend and the sun's out) and give it 5/5. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »

I've always felt like this album was always a mish-mash of songs that were all over the place stylistically. But given how it was their last album before they left Capitol, I guess I'm not surprised. Anyway, Cotton Fields and Bluebirds Over the Mountain are so-so for me, but I don't really like any versions of those songs that much. They're nice, but nothing too impressive. Better is I Can Hear Music, with great production and vocals from Carl, plus a breathtaking acapella section towards the end. Time To Get Alone is lovely, as is I Went To Sleep, so Brian's contributions are excellent as usual. Then of course there's Our Prayer and Cabin Essence, both Smile tracks, which don't really fit in with the rest of the album, but are such strong tracks they're still more than worthy additions to the track listing. I don't care for the Dennis songs this time around, either, but it's good to see him continue to try and improve his songwriting abilities. It's a bit of a mess with all the different variety of songs (but on the plus side, you could argue that there's something for everyone), and not all of them are up to par, but it still manages to be a pretty good outing.

3.5/5
waketheworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 22, 2021, 11:39:21 PM »

this was one of the first BB albums I ever owned, after Surf's Up.  I bought it at age 12.  Loved it then and, almost 50 years later, it is still one of my favorites.  Nearly al the songs are excellent. The Smile-era songs represent the high water mark of our civilization, as far as I'm concerned.  The two radio hits are pleasant, and Never Learn Not To Love is awesome.  I didn't realize that it was a grab bag of assorted oddities until years later.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx