gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:52:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston records "Don't Worry Baby" in '74 for California Music  (Read 14069 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2010, 08:47:36 AM »

I don't really like Bruce's cover of "Don't Worry Baby" from 1974, recorded for California Music, he changes the melody too much. Obviously because he couldn't sing in as high a register as Brian back then. Don't get me wrong, I like Bruce and have got his California Music on two CD's, but this cover just isn't any good, he takes too many liberties with my favorite Beach Boys song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxwu9eHoLY
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »

Sorry for the sudden bump but i just found out about this and it's truly the most god awful cover of Don't Worry Baby i've -ever- heard.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:54:42 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:40 AM »

Boy, I thought that was pretty terrible. I will say, at least Bruce could still sing well back then, as opposed to now. He's really just morphed into Mike Love's flunky at this point......well paid though for his flunki ness.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:12:08 AM »

With his remake of Pipeline, Here Comes The Night and now this, Bruce definitely earns the title of the worst arranger.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 03:48:01 AM »

I couldn't listen to much of it, it's not just the arrangement, his voice is thin and reedy and the phrasing is horrendous.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:43:58 AM by Jeanster » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »

Interesting. I've always been a sucker for Bruce's voice and arrangements. They may be sappy, but there's something that just hits a sweet spot for me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

With his remake of Pipeline, Here Comes The Night and now this, Bruce definitely earns the title of the worst arranger.

Give a listen to Don't Run Away and try saying Bruce is the "worst arranger" with a straight face. He's certainly had his share of missteps, but he's also done some KILLER and underrated work.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »

Interesting how they rid the song of all the car references on the 2nd verse. This must have been during that period of time when car songs were considered so "uncool", even for Bruce.
KDS
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »

Give a listen to Don't Run Away and try saying Bruce is the "worst arranger" with a straight face. He's certainly had his share of missteps, but he's also done some KILLER and underrated work.

I'm a fan of his input on the 20/20, Sunflower, and Surf's Up albums a lot.  

I'll even admit that I think Endless Harmony is one of the few highlights on the KTSA album
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »

I just heard this for the first time and really liked it.  Like the other California Music tracks (Why Do Fools, etc.), Here Comes the Night, Pipeline and Bruce's 1977 solo LP, given the state of top 40 and radio airplay in those days... they fit within the context of the times.  These songs were considered oldies, 8 to 10 years old, not the cherished classics they've become.  This is no worse than Johnny Rivers' Help Me Rhonda update, B.J. Thomas Don't Worry Baby redux or The Bay City Rollers cover of Darlin."  And it's a hell of a lot better than Leif Garrett's Surfin' USA cover.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »

Well I guess if Bruce did such a lousy job with it, Brian could have helped him out, you know, being in the employ of Equinox and all.  Oh, er, never mind....

Also I think the changing the car lyric reference was an attempt to make the song more contemporary in nature....though it was hardly noticeable in the first place....
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »

I'll even admit that I think Endless Harmony is one of the few highlights on the KTSA album
[/quote]

Me too.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

Overall it's a pretty terrible version of the song, but I actually like the vocal melody he used here. It has nothing on the original, but I could see the vocal melody working in an alt-country setting.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »

Bruce using his "modern" production and making the song sound even more dated than the 1960s classic.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »

I may be completely wrong, but I feel like Bruce has this massive collection of songs that are very genuine and sincere that have never been released because there has never been a commercially feasible time, or seemingly so. Virtually everything he has been part of has been a "fad". He always wrote and produced and arranged to fit the norm of the genre he was working in. I really hope we get some of his back-catalog released while he's still living...an autobiography would be pretty incredible too.

As for this cover of Don't Worry Baby? I think it's pretty crappy. I really don't have anything nice to say. It's easily forgettable and it's shameful to even consider that an actual Beach Boy is on the record.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »

I have the single with "DWB" by California Music b/w "WDFFIL", produced by Brian Wilson for Equinox, on RCA NB 10363 stereo 1975. A very small sticker was applied to the DWB side that says "not for sale". I also have the Papa Doo Run Run single of "Disney Girls" produced by Bruce Johnston for Equinox b/w "Why Do Fools Fall In Love", stereo, on RCA NB-10404 with the same sticker. Got them when they were released. I think I play them every 5 years or so. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 09:44:49 PM »

I don't really like Bruce's cover of "Don't Worry Baby" from 1974, recorded for California Music, he changes the melody too much. Obviously because he couldn't sing in as high a register as Brian back then. Don't get me wrong, I like Bruce and have got his California Music on two CD's, but this cover just isn't any good, he takes too many liberties with my favorite Beach Boys song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxwu9eHoLY

I love Curt Boettcher's California Music CD, but where can one find Bruce Johnston California Music tracks?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 03:53:40 AM »

I can live with this version. Like the Stamos-driven "Forever" (which I can also live with), it's a child of its time. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 05:14:04 AM »

I can live with this version. Like the Stamos-driven "Forever" (which I can also live with), it's a child of its time. 

I actually really like the Stamos power ballad version of Forever.  Also, I think you kinda have to be a fan of power ballads to enjoy it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »

I actually really like the Stamos power ballad version of Forever.  Also, I think you kinda have to be a fan of power ballads to enjoy it.

Not really a fan of power ballads in general but I do like that one. And the multi-faceted Dan Hartman did some nice stuff in that area...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 05:40:22 AM »

Man, I don't know what happened to Bruce's creativity post 1971.

The Nearest Faraway Place
Deirdre
Tears In The Morning
Disney Girls

and then... not much of note really. You figure there would have been at least a good couple of outtakes during the 1972-1977 hiatus. (or especially after the success of Manilow's recording of I Write The Songs)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »

I love Curt Boettcher's California Music CD, but where can one find Bruce Johnston California Music tracks?

There’s a nice (official) CD out of Japan from around 2000 titled California Music & Disney Girls.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 06:51:15 AM »

Wow, this was ...unappealing. Bruce kind of gave it a country feeling - a style for which I am not a big fan. It lacks the emotion; the protaganist's dread and the reassurance of a loved one. Regardless of what the lyrics are about (most casual listeners do not realize it is a "car song" because the song is so beautiful), the boys really nailed it, making a perfect song right from that intro. Bruce has a great voice, but this is not one of his better efforts.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »

In terms of the original BB recording, I've always felt it was *near* perfect. The middle eight instrumental bars always take away from it for me. It's not a guitar solo. It's chords. It always sounds like something else belongs there. It has no melodic interest for eight measures in a piece that is virtually overflowing with melodic interest.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »

The phrasing of the verse melody is so forced and unnatural! The arrangement of the music is definitely of it's time, which is cool, but that awful phrasing is unbearable!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx