gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:08:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry Miller Library Big Sur Beachboys reunion this Friday!?  (Read 5484 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

My first question would be: from what you observed, do you believe audio/video recordings of this event might accidentally exist?

Don't know about the camera in the middle of the venue, but I was told the videographer who was set up in the back on the deck was given permission to record the entire show only if the video recordings were not posted or distributed.

So you got his name and info?  

Unfortunately, wasn't there!  Heard it was a great concert though!

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »

My first question would be: from what you observed, do you believe audio/video recordings of this event might accidentally exist?

Don't know about the camera in the middle of the venue, but I was told the videographer who was set up in the back on the deck was given permission to record the entire show only if the video recordings were not posted or distributed.

I see... Any chance of audience recordings?

Like this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifg4T5WGKPY

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 09:04:57 AM »

There will be something that will surface from this fairly soon.  

Very intimate setting. I didn't see anybody there that I know personally. Had to walk down Highway 1 back to my car and it was blacker than the Ace of Spades. Very dark and eerie. All I could hear was the recording of "Run James Run" playing on the sound system on the way out of the venue.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:43:51 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »

Found Lookin Down the Coast on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifg4T5WGKPY&NR=1
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 09:47:25 AM »

There will something that will surface from this fairly soon. 

Very intimate setting. I didn't see anybody there that I know personally. Had to walk down Highway 1 back to my car and it was blacker than the Ace of Spades. Very dark and eerie. All I could hear was the recording of "Run James Run" playing on the sound system on the way out of the venue.   

Thanks for the report Mikie.  Yes it is indeed black out there at night.  I've not been to the venue but passed by during an event there one day.  Cars along highway 1 and apparently some sort of shuttle taking people in.

Glad you got to see the show.   With that lineup, its as good as the the BB touring band.   Wish I could have been there, reunion or not.
Joanne
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »

Highlights for me. Watching the Beach Boys supporting musicians that I grew up seeing on stage at concerts in the 70's and 80's. Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, and Bobby Figueroa. These guys haven't missed a beat and are as good, if not better than they use to be. Billy sang a very strong "Sail On Sailor". Fantastic!! He reminded the crowd that he ws part of Dino, Desi, and Billy, and that he was the brother-in-law of the late Carl Wilson. Bobby wailed on the drums and it's no wonder he use to fill in beautifully on drums when Dennis was incapacitated or just tired. He use to play percussion with the Boys as his primary duty. Ed Carter played bass and sang the harmony parts with precision! "Smilin' Eddie Carter" he was called last night - otherwise known as "Steady Eddie Carter". Damn, I loved seeing those guys again. And Matt Jardine. His falsetto easily rivals anyone, including Jeff Foskett and Randell Kirsch. If you don't believe me, listen to the Red Barn Rehearsals and acoustic sets with The Boys from 1993. Gone is the pony tail, but the guy can not only still sing, but plays a mean percussion too! There was a guy playing a real cello on stage, and Al walked over to him and made a big deal of it near the end of Good Vibrations with extended playing and his mic was turned up in the mix to emphasize his part. Really neat touch.

Actually Billy co-sang Sail on Sailor with Bobby Figueroa. They have been doing it that way for years now.
The show was recorded. Al mentioned it was for a project they are working on. It was a perfect show to record too. The new stuff was great, the crowd unbelievable in their enthusiasm and the setting gorgeous!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 10:07:54 AM »

Found Lookin Down the Coast on YouTube:

If I remember right, Al introduced this as being a "stripped down" version of the song.

Don, we'll have to touch base the next time you come out here!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »

Mikie,

I was there but didn't see you.  Of course, it was pretty dark.   I was next to video guy in the back.   I think AL said  it was California Feeling that was a stripped down version.      I was pretty knocked out by the songs from A Postcard From California.  The audience seemed to really appreciate his new stuff. and Don't Fight The Sea and San Simeon were outstanding!!

It was some  awesome show i for fans like us.

Les in SF
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »

setlist from the Big Sur show:

setlist:
California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
Do You Wanna Dance
Do It Again
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
I Get Around
Band Intros by Billy
A Postcard From California
California Feelin'
Looking Down The Coast
Don't Fight The Sea ( killer version with Al's neighbor playing cello for the whale sounds )
Tidepool Interlude (Stephen did the vocals joined by Scott Slaughter's keyboard work.
A California Saga (Al played the banjo!)
San Simeon
Honkin' Down The Highway
Drivin'
Sail On Sailor
Runaway
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations ( a lot of that was in the air tonight)
Kokomo
Help Me Rhonda ( original version with Johnny adding his harmonica)

Encore
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun

An amazing show to be at to hear many of A Postcard From California songs performed live for the first time!

The band rehearsed "And I Always Will " during the soundcheck but did not perform the tune for the show.  Al appeared very pleased with the performance and the reaction the new songs got.  I encouraged him, Matt and Adam to continue performing them!

Les in SF
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »

How many people were there?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »

Dunno, I couldn't count 'em all.  It was too dark.

Actually, I think the seating capacity was 300. The seats (folding chairs) were filled and people were standing in the back. The little woman and I sat on a log near a big Redwood tree in the back. Somebody next to us brought their big dog too. During the Pet Sounds segment of the show, the dog barked. I handed him half of my roast beef sandwich and was lucky to pull back all of my fingers.....

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx