gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:54:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alex Chilton and Brian  (Read 13102 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 04:58:25 PM »

Yeah, you need Big Star in your life.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »

I never go far, without a little Big Star....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 01:37:52 AM »

Cool, they have just moved up the queue in my 'what music to buy next' list. It's a big list.

Did we push it from #5000 to #4879?

LOL It's currently weighing in at a muscular #47 Don. I've just started a bit of a Frank Zappa fixation. He's got one or two albums out there...

LOL Be careful. Our own Luther went bankrupt for just that reason. His children already suffered from hunger edema because he badly wanted 'Joe's Garage Pt. 1 and 2'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 08:40:44 AM »

The cheese on "Catholic Girls" alone could feed an average family for a week.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:32 AM »

The cheese on "Catholic Girls" alone could feed an average family for a week.

Toe fat?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 09:30:31 AM »

The coolest thing about Frank was while everyone else was jumping on the hippy bandwagon he was taking the piss out of them for being a bunch of lame phonies.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »

The coolest thing about Frank was while everyone else was jumping on the hippy bandwagon he was taking the piss out of them for being a bunch of lame phonies.

Agreed. I am sorry I never could come to terms with my idea of his stuff being too rational, at the cost of direct emotion. Same with Steely Dan, by the way.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

...and let's please not forget that Alex Chilton produced the Cramps...

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »

Brian on why Love You rocks: I think because I felt so sad I had to bring out my feelings, and try to create music that would make me and all my friends feel better. I think the "Love You" album is one of the best we have ever made. My favourites are "I Wanna Pick You Up" and "Ding Dang". that was a good cut, wasn't it? Just a very short song, that's all. One of the shortest records we have ever made. It's funny because now people are beginning to see that album as a classic - it was quite revolutionary in its use of synthesizers.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:34:08 PM by Dada » Logged
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »

Are Big Star any good? I have never heard anything by them. They have been on my list of 'groups to try out' for months now.
As far as I'm concerned Radio City is one of the greatest albums of all time.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 06:22:22 PM »

my other favourite band. they also did honkin down the highway

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »

Got the first two albums yesterday. First impressions - good not great. Bound to grow on me with repeated listens. "Ballad of El Goodo" sticks out for me. They don't sound from a production point of view like they were recorded in the early 70's at all.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 04:09:25 AM »

Got the first two albums yesterday. First impressions - good not great. Bound to grow on me with repeated listens. "Ballad of El Goodo" sticks out for me. They don't sound from a production point of view like they were recorded in the early 70's at all.

Keep listening, they will grow. IIRC the late, great Jim Dickinson produced, right? BTW, for this listener, the Replacements' 'Alex Chilton' is one of the all-time greatest pop songs. It has thrice the number of great uplifting melodies that the average 'classic' sports.

pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »

Keep listening, they will grow. IIRC the late, great Jim Dickinson produced, right?

Dickinson produced Third/Sister Lovers.  John Fry produced the first two.  He gets what may be the best acoustic guitar sound I've ever heard on record.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 05:50:58 AM »

Keep listening, they will grow. IIRC the late, great Jim Dickinson produced, right?

Dickinson produced Third/Sister Lovers.  John Fry produced the first two.  He gets what may be the best acoustic guitar sound I've ever heard on record.

I stand corrected. And you are right about that guitar sound.

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »

Blug. I hate him so much. I like his instrumental music a bit but he was just such an unfunny, gross, creep.
Plus doesn't he look like the kind of guy who smells a little bit?

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »

Another thing for the new Big Star fan to listen to is Chris Bell's solo 'record' (really a collection of assorted singles, b-sides, and so many great things left in the can until his suicide) I Am The Cosmos. The title track here.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR594Kkxmzg

Big Star definitely grow on you. I didn't love them for about a year after i started listening to them, but i think the key is to stick them on shuffle (and to buy Third/Sister Lovers too, although that is the sound of a man falling into drunken despair) and absorb them. Thirteen might be their greatest song....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
smackdaddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 06:42:06 PM »

Alex actually hung out with Dennis on the west coast a bit during the downtime between the Box Tops and Big Star.  I know I read that in the band bio or in an article somewhere, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:56:01 PM by smackdaddy » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 02:29:32 AM »

Just bought "A Man Called Destruction: The Life and Music of Alex Chilton" and am slowly making my way through it (I like to read just a couple of chapters a day when its something I'm really interested in)

Plenty of Beach Boys references in the early chapters. Alex apparently expressed a wish to call his 1st 3 sons (Brian, Dennis and Carl) - I actually said this to my GF a few years ago and she said she didn't like any of the names  Huh (oh well)

He talks about Carl teaching him guitar and hanging out with Dennis. He said he was like Carl's puppy dog.

One chapter is entitled "I slept with Charlie Manson" which obviously has a few bits about staying at Dennis s house,

Mentions going to a session at Brian's house where they were recording "Were together again" and also going to the Whisky a Go Go with Brian where Brian preceded to do press ups in the booth across from him.

Really enjoying the book so far, learning lot of new stuff about Alex, very informative and well written.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »

Are Big Star any good? I have never heard anything by them. They have been on my list of 'groups to try out' for months now.
Buy all three and prepare to become obsessed!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 03:26:01 AM »

There's a song on Chilton's "1970" album which could've easily been a Dennis Wilson song ("I Can Dig It"), similar in style to "Pacific Ocean Blues".
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 04:16:08 AM »

I've just gotten into Big Star lately, after years of hearing how great they were; I would try a couple of songs here and there, and didn't get it. Then one afternoon, while looking around Netflix, I saw the documentary on them, 'Nothing Can Hurt Me'. I started watching it for the hell of it, and I really got into it. I don't think that Alex did a better song than 'Nightime'!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2014, 05:42:08 AM »

Whoever interviewed Brian for Caroline Now! did an awesome job. I wish we had more interviews like that. To hell with asking Brian why Smile didn't come out. He's not gonna give us anything new in that regard. I'd rather hear his general thoughts on music.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »

Everyone should own all Big Star albums.
superunison
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »

There's one version of a Box Tops Greatest Hits (which I've seen used in most record stores) that features liner notes on the back recalling Alex's story of sharing a bed with Brian, Dennis, and Charlie (iirc) as well as a line about how Brian once called Alex in the middle of the night later in the 70s ask him to come straight to LA so that Brian could produce an LP for him... Always wondered why they'd include those anecdotes on a Box Tops greatest hits but there they are... I'll take a pic next time I see it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx