gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:02:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Wild Honey
5 - 67 (39.9%)
4 - 71 (42.3%)
3 - 25 (14.9%)
2 - 3 (1.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 154

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey  (Read 106518 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »

that's a good call

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2006, 05:40:30 AM »

Anyone ever seen a full shot of the stained glass window that adorned the cover ? I know it was from the Bellagio house, but wouldn't it be nice to see the how the entire window looked ? No ?? oh well ...
 Smiley

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2006, 06:30:32 AM »

I think there actually does exist a photo with the pane in the background. I remember someone posted it once.

Watch out for snakes!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »

Someone posted a video capture from the A&E Brian Wilson bio, but there wasn't an actual picture posted. And that video capture looked like merda.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2006, 11:28:53 AM »

Ah, there you go. I never said it was any good!

Watch out for snakes!
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »

Aha, thanks ! I shall have to go dig out the A&E bio now ...
 3D

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2006, 08:59:48 PM »

God, I LOVE Wild Honey. It's so fun and charming and like nothing else the band did before, and to a certain extent, since.

Even though Pet Sounds and Today! are my favorite BBs albums, Wild Honey I have more fun listening to, it seems. Every single song makes me feel soo good inside.
I can barely contain myself when listening to WH (just like right now - I'm listening to I Was Made To Love Her; Carl rules on this).

I even love that cover; it's gotta be my favorite BBs album cover. I'm gonna get a tattoo of that one of these days, I SWEAR...

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2006, 05:27:54 AM »

God i love this album...Makes me feel so good.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2006, 10:26:19 PM »

I don't think I've heard this from anyone else, but in my opinion, 'Wild Honey' the song almost seems like a great follow up to 'Good Vibrations'. They both have a therimin thing goin on. Although they are in different styles that is the first thing I thought  when I heard WH the first time.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »

I would just like to add...After weeks of listening to wild honey, It is now in my top 5 albums of all time... Cheesy

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »

Best Beach Boys album cover, in my opinion. I see those colors when i hear the music. This album ROCKS!!! I love the singing by Carl .
thomasogg
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »

Yep, Wild Honey is a great, great album!! The production isn't perfect? What'd u expect? They recorded the whole album in less than 3 fucking months!! Besides, who cares? It works! The production fits the songs perfectly. Albums like 'Friends' and 'Surf's Up' might be better known/loved, but they're flawed. Where though is the 'Student Demonstration Time' or the 'Transendental Meditation' on this record? It really flows, and is very complete-feeling and coherent in a way other BB albums are not. And the cover is fanatstic! Fave tracks: Wild Honey, Country Air, Darlin', Here Comes The Night  (VERY under-rated song! That damn disco remake..) and Let The Wind Blow. 4 out of 5. Nah, 4 and a half. Three quarters even. f*** it - 5.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2007, 05:18:56 AM »

I really dig this album. How an album like this can go so under-appreciated is criminal. Pretty much every song is great on the album except maby Mama Says which is just nice. It really belongs to Vegetables of course and I don't like it as its own song
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »

The production isn't perfect? What'd u expect? They recorded the whole album in less than 3 fodaing months!!

The reason for the production/sound has little or nothing to do with it being done in three months. It has to do with the changes in the way they worked. Albums like Sgt. Pepper were done in not much more--what did that take, Jan. 67 through April 67, so four months? No, it was more about the fact that they were just doing it themselves (more than in recent years) and at home.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2007, 05:28:41 PM »

How much of Wild Honey was  actually recorded in Brian's house? I thought most of it was recorded in the Wally Heider studio. I have the  Keith Badman book but I'm too lazy right now to look up the session dates and locations. Anyone else know? Anyway, the Live In London version of Aren't You Glad gives you some idea of the power and punch Wild Honey could of had if it had been produced differently.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

Wild Honey kind of is what brought me into the Beach Boys.  Not the entire album, but I was listening to samples of Sounds of Summer one day when I was a casual listener.  The two songs that caught my ear were Darlin' and Wild Honey.  From there I ventured further into their catalogue and was soon hooked.  I really do quite enjoy the album.  Carl's voice was so unique on this album, and he's all over it.

Wild Honey - 5/5
Aren't You Glad - 5/5
I Was Made To Love Her - 3.5/5
Country Air - 5/5
A Thing Or Two - 4/5
Darlin' - 5/5
I'd Love Just Once To See You - 4.5/5
Here Comes The Night - 4.5/5
Let The Wind Blow - 5/5
How She Boogalooed It - 3.5/5
Mama Says - 3.5/5

I gotta round down to a 4, just because of the 2 or 3 tracks which I rate a little lower than the others.  A 4.5 would do this album much more justice IMO though.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »

This is another one of their "perfect" albums, in my opinion. I love the vibe. I'm amazed at how different the vibes and music really are from Today-Holland. Each album sounds completely different. Each one could make a new fan out of someone.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »

Terrific.  Insanely catchy and infectious.  4 stars.  If the production had just been a little neater on a couple of the tracks (eg, the title track) and if there were maybe 2 nice originals in place of the cover, it would definitely get 5 stars from me.

Track picks:
I'd Love Just Once To See You (+++), Wild Honey (+++), Darlin' (+++), Aren't You Glad (++), Let The Wind Blow (++)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:10:28 AM by Poprocks » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »

I can well understand the quibbles with the production, I would add not only is it not "neat" but many of the songs really could use louder drums, IMO. But I have to admit...there's something about the shoddy sound I like, maybe it's the way the backing vocals seem to be mixed too low, the dull thump of hte drums, the way a trombone comes in...you can hear it as it should sound, somehow, but what you get is something stark and somehow (to me) very rock'n'roll added to some pretty perfectly  short  pop songs. I agree that it's probably just a case of them doing it themself and not an intentional thing, but it works for me, it's black and white minimalism.

I love the way the acoustic guitars come in I"d Love Just Once to See You, that is one of my favorite moments on any record.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:29:23 PM by lance » Logged
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »

::nod:: Yeah I agree about the drums.  And yeah I think the vocals are a bit too low in the mix on some of the tracks - but it also sounds like they're completely uncompressed, or something like that anyway.  I guess back then if you wanted reverb, compression, etc. you actually had to have an echo chamber, a compressor, etc. and couldn't just rely on digital plugins like we do so easily today and take for granted.

I guess that's why the minimalism of Smiley Smile and the more minimalistic tracks on Wild Honey work so well, whereas with the more grandiose tracks instrumentation-wise, some of the limitations of their home recording shines through a bit more.  But it's also interesting that they really did improve their sound quality with Friends just a year later.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2008, 05:20:10 PM »

I think David Dalton took a picture of Brian and some friends at the Bellagio house in 1967, with the stained glass panel behind them.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2008, 03:17:20 AM »

I'd go with the consensus here - some great tracks on Wild Honey, classics, but just not quite the album it could have been. We can talk about  adding "Can't Wait Too Long" but for me the best place for that is on "Smiley Smile"

Fingers pointed at production and delivery, title track especially should've been slowed down and mellowed out. There's a puppyish tone to the r'n'b which some people would like, but in its context though it was a bit of a stylistic dead-end between Smiley and Friends.

Highlights for me are Here Comes The Night, Let The Wind Blow, Country Air.

A Thing or Two sits on the line between the contemplative tracks which I like and the white soul, which I'm less keen on generally. Oh it's good, but not great.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »

That's fine that they were on Spector's and J&D's records, but I don't see why Brian had to use them as much.

How many session guys did the Beatles use, strings and horns excluded?

I definitely agree on Blaine, considering Denny aced songs as complicated as When I Grow Up. I believe Carol was perfectly utilised however, as was the great Ray Pohlman.
The Beatles used no session men, excluding strings, horns, Indian musicians and the odd guest spot (Eric on "Gently Weeps", Billy Preston on "Get Back").
With the ONE exception of drummer Alan White on the 2nd version of Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You.

I for one FAR preffer Denny's live drumming on just about everything over the studio cuts whether it was Blain or Jim Gordon or whoever. He was able to nail anything those studio "aces" could. Plus he also made the stuff ROCK. Just listen to Sloop John B on Live In London, then listen to the Pet Sounds cut...... Snore!!!!!
And the studio cuts he is on ROCK. He had a lovely technique. The way he played his hi-hat with his left hand led to things always being interesting when he'd land out of a fill. And watching him on the Kenbworth DVD, even wasted out of his mind and out of practice, he still tore it up, and to this day, I've never seen anyone make so many kick-ass saves when blowing a fill. He had his s*%t together as a drummer. And I give it to Denny and Ringo as the two guys who INVENTED rock drumming!!!!! Ask me and I'll elaborate on that opinion.

Denny was THE perfect drummer for the band. But then again if his ego had been stroked as a drummer or if Brian had heavily leaned on him as a studio drummer he may have never learned piano or ever wrote any songs, and Dennis, for my money, is/was the only Beach Boy without the ability to write any utter crap.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2008, 01:15:24 AM »

So well put, esp. the last statement. Can you imagine if Dennis had led the band for an extended period?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2008, 02:13:33 AM »

I agree. Denny's drumming on California Girls is so much better than Hal's. Especially the intro. Hal treats the drums like they're made of glass and if he hits them too hard they'll shatter, Denny treats them like they just shot his puppy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx