gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:35:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Wild Honey
5 - 67 (39.9%)
4 - 71 (42.3%)
3 - 25 (14.9%)
2 - 3 (1.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 2 (1.2%)
Total Voters: 154

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Honey  (Read 107960 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2006, 04:51:48 PM »

He mentioned also that he played the "cheezy organ solo" in the Wild Hony track.

"Cheezy", Bruce?  Ideal, says I.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »

I can't say enough great stuff about this album.  It's top-shelf musically and it holds together very nicely as a whole.  The raw sound really works here and brings out the best in these tracks, IMO.  Two greasy thumbs up.  5 stars.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2006, 12:08:38 AM »

I don't know about Carol on IWMTLH.  She's so vociferous about the Stevie Wonder element of it...  Plus she's made it very clear she stopped working for Brian with Smile. 

I thought the wrecking crew came back to work on Friends?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2006, 01:15:07 AM »

Carol didn't.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2006, 12:56:13 PM »

Did she have a falling out with Brian? Or since Brian wasn't really producing the records anymore the Beach Boys picked their favorite session bass players like Ron Brown.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2006, 06:59:58 AM »

I believe that Carol actually started playing a little less, at that point to spend more time with her family.

But I think it's likely that the Boys were just more familiar with Ray Pohlman, since they had worked with him a lot, and Carol playec for Brian more when the Boys were on the road.  And of course, Ron Brown was probably hanging around rehearsing for tours, so he would have been just easy to plug in.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2006, 11:27:41 AM »

"Wild Honey" brings back more memories of a Beach Boys album then anything, next to "Pet Sounds."  Not saying they are equal.  But it's the only one I can really remember making an impact on me.  I was just getting into the Beach Boys and had heard very little of their post-Pet Sounds catalog.  I found the cassette in a bargain bin for $3.99.  I remember hating it on first listen.  I didn't dig the sound or the muddiness and lack of drums on all these r&b tunes.  But damn, I ended up wearing that tape out.  I would play it constantly over and over driving to school, and wherever else I went. 

A similiar thing happened with "Love You."  I found the vinyl for about the same price as above and I hated the first listen..  but next thing you know, it was playing constantly.  I have no idea what it is about these albums that are so addictive!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 05:48:05 AM »

I read the superlatives about 'Wild Honey' on this thread and I find myself asking "Have I been listening to a completely different album?"  I gave it another go the other day and no - the songs for the most part are slight and unmemorable.  Nothing awful, you understand, but not great.  I give it a 3.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 07:14:06 AM »

Love it ! 5 !!
This is an fantastic album. The Boys really showed they could rock! One of Jim Morrison's favorite albums as far as I know. And rightfully so.
I wish there would be a remastered version of it with outtakes and a stereo-version. The UM-release of it is my favorite of the UM-series. Maybe even a book written about these session (plus Friends and even Smiley Smile) to see how the BBs worked on the albums from that period. Stephen Desper could maybe give some insight.
There was an article 'bout half a year ago where a new rock-band was described (was it the Magic Numbers ? ) and Wild Honey was mentioned as "Brian Wilson's Indi-Rock-Gem", though I think this was more an group-effort, at least more so than Pet Sounds or Smile.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2006, 10:47:57 AM »

I read the superlatives about 'Wild Honey' on this thread and I find myself asking "Have I been listening to a completely different album?"  I gave it another go the other day and no - the songs for the most part are slight and unmemorable.  Nothing awful, you understand, but not great.  I give it a 3.

Keep listening.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »

One of Jim Morrison's favorite albums as far as I know. And rightfully so.

Is that really true? Where can this be verified? Did one of the Doors mention that Jim loved Wild Honey in an interview?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »

David Anderle mentioned it in a famous interview with Paul Williams.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2006, 05:13:31 AM »

One of Jim Morrison's favorite albums as far as I know. And rightfully so.

Is that really true? Where can this be verified? Did one of the Doors mention that Jim loved Wild Honey in an interview?

I think Ian is right. Morrison was a big Beach Boys-Fan. he said they were the reason he came to California.
If he still thought so after Dennis had beaten him up, I don't know.... Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2006, 10:49:09 AM »

dennis beat him up or is this a joke...sry, i dont know tones online

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2006, 03:43:04 PM »

ell, this was in a club in L.A., don't know which, might be the Whiskey. A young singer was singing and playing and Jim Morrison along with (I believe) Eric Burdon went up on stage, throwing the young singer off stage. Dennis went up and did the same with Morrison and Burdon. At least that's what I heard....

- Jack Rieley
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2006, 02:26:24 PM »

I've read that WILD HONEY was originally to appear with a different
line-up then what we have now.  What would that have been and
why the changes?
SurferGirl7
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2006, 02:31:52 PM »

The orginal tracklisting (from what I know)

Wild Honey
Here Comes The Night
The Letter (live) - was crossed out on lineup paper
Darlin'
A Thing or Two
Cool Cool Water - Probably too early
Lonely Days - also axed. Not a lot seemed to have come out of that song.
I'd Love Just Once To See You
Country Air
How She Boogalooed It
Mama Says
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »

Don't forget the title truncation, from "Good Lord how She Boogalooed it".
SurferGirl7
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »

Don't forget the title truncation, from "Good Lord how She Boogalooed it".

Well they did get the point across  Smiley
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »

No, the original sequence was...

Wild Honey
Here Comes The Night
Let The Wind Blow
I Was Made To Love Her
The Letter (removed)
Darlin'
A Thing Or Two
Aren't You Glad
Cool Cool Water (removed)
Game of Love (removed)
Lonely Days (removed)
Honey Get Home (removed)

Would it be possible to piece this version together?  I mean, overlooking that "Lonely Days" is only a fragment of a song.  I know "Cool Cool Water" is on the boxed set... are the other missing tracks on bootlegs??
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2006, 03:55:04 PM »

Wasn't there an early version of Can't Wait Too Long that was supposed to go on WH?

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »

Oddly enough, in a Capitol vault search last year I came across a tape box which apparently contained the first generation master of the WILD HONEY album, and the original documentation lists a slightly different line-up from all of these:

WILD HONEY
AREN’T YOU GLAD
I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER
COUNTRY AIR
A THING OR TWO
DARLIN’
I’D LOVE JUST ONCE TO SEE YOU
HERE COMES THE NIGHT
HIDE YOUR LOVE AWAY * ?
THE LETTER
LET THE WIND BLOW
I WAS MADE TO LOVE HER (LONG VERSION )

I'm pretty sure that "Hide Your Love Way" is a mistake, and should have listed "With A Little Help From My Friends."

In any case, "With A Little Help From My Friends," "The Letter," and the long version of "I Was Made To Love Her" were removed from this reel and tacked onto a Capitol phono reel (phono reels being compilations of single masters and various one shot recordings that didn't belong on an album), where they were taken for lost and gone and unknown for a long long time until Brad Elliott unearthed them for the "Rarities" album.

Alan

SurferGirl7
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2006, 04:08:15 PM »

Thanks for the clear up on that Alan
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2006, 04:32:20 PM »

WILD HONEY... still, one my favorite albums. :D

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2006, 04:41:34 PM »

Wild Honey:  Still the album crying out for an incredible stereo-remix.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx