gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:31:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Phil Spector on Brian Wilson  (Read 10809 times)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »

You usually hear Brian gushing over Phil Spector, whereas I've only seen very few comments from Spector himself on Brian or the Beach Boys. But tonight I came across an example I hadn't seen before when reading an old interview with the 'Tycoon of Teen'. It's from Roy Carr's multi-part Spector piece in New Musical Express , 1976, the final part. Here's the excerpt...

No doubt about it, Spector was a great source of inspiration for Brian, the Wilson Boy Wonder.
"So I've heard."
To the point where Wilson's idolisation went through so many changes that it was transformed into acute paranoia.
"You don't want me to pay his medical bills as well, do you?"
Despite such quips, Spector is deeply flattered by the way Brian Wilson utilised his innovative recording techniques to enhance his 'Pet Sounds' project.
"That's what I'm here for", he says joyously. "Listen man, if I help anyone, if I encourage anyone, if anyone emulates me, it's OK with me man - just so long as they admit it. Most of them don't.

This is of course in stark contrast to what he had to say about Brian three decades down the line when interviewed by British journalist Mick Brown; the guy who later wrote a very interesting biography of Spector, which I highly recommend. Very interesting read.

The reason for me posting this is to ask people here if they know of any other instances where Spector is quoted specifically on Brian & the Beach Boys? I'm quite fascinated by the relationship between these two musical giants - or perhaps I should say, the LACK of a relationship considering how they both frequented the same studios, used the same musicans and worked within the same style and industry back in the day. Imagine being a fly on the wall during the tracking of the Spector backing track for Don't Hurt my Little Sister / Thing's are Changing! Rodney Bingenheimer has also mentioned that he and Brian attended the fabled 'River Deep, Mountain High' sessions and were awe-struck by what they heard & saw.

Which makes me wonder - does anyone know what the story is behind this cover photo?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B0000C3HHW/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music
I recognise Brian, Spector, Jack Nietzche (with shades in the background), Mike and Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:45:41 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »

Al Pacino to Take On Phil Spector in HBO Movie

By BROOKS BARNES

LOS ANGELES — It’s not quite a monster movie, but it has some of the same elements: an outsize character, a mysterious death, plenty of metaphor for mankind’s destruction. And lots and lots of excessively teased hair.

HBO Films has decided to tackle Phil Spector, the bewigged record producer who created the “wall of sound” in the 1960s but is now serving a prison sentence of 19 years to life for murder. Starring will be Al Pacino. (Think about it.)

David Mamet will write and direct the film, which HBO cautioned is in the very early stages of development (it’s still untitled). Barry Levinson, who won an Oscar for directing “Rain Man,” will serve as executive producer.

Mr. Spector, 70, was convicted of second-degree murder last year; prosecutors successfully argued that the record producer shot Lana Clarkson, a struggling actress, in the foyer of his mansion in 2003. Mr. Spector’s lawyers as recently as March were still arguing in court for his release.
It was an ugly end to a celebrated career. Starting in the late 1950s, Mr. Spector produced a stream of pop megahits, including “Be My Baby,” “Da Doo Ron Ron” and “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling.” He completed and mixed the unfinished tapes for the final Beatles album, “Let It Be.”

Mr. Pacino, also 70, has an imposing stare that bears more than a passing similarity to Mr. Spector’s favorite facial expression. But what exactly interested the Oscar-winning actor in the role?

“He just saw a very interesting character to play, and he likes the sensibility of David and Barry,” said John L. Burnham, an agent at International Creative Management who represents Mr. Pacino, Mr. Mamet and Mr. Levinson.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/al-pacino-to-take-on-phil-spector-in-hbo-movie/
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »

From what i understand Phil Spector was always pretty dismissive of Brian Wilson i think he said something along the lines of i didn't think he was that talented to begin with and he once through brian out of a recording session because his piano playing wasn't good enough apparently. If you ask me Spector was bitten by the green-eyed monster.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »

Which makes me wonder - does anyone know what the story is behind this cover photo?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B0000C3HHW/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music
I recognise Brian, Spector, Jack Nietzche (with shades in the background), Mike and Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers.

To Mike's right is Ron Swallow and to Brian's left always struck me as Bob Hope! Corrections welcome.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »

To a degree I can understand why Spector would be angry at someone like Brian Wilson: although Brian said time and time again that he was inspired by Phil Spector and that he [Spector] is a genius, no one -- ostensibly for Spector this meant mainly 'critics' or 'industry people' -- paid any attention to him. Instead, it was Wilson who became the popular one labelled as a genus and lauded by virtually everyone. Despite the fact that Spector did it all first and did it best to boot!

So, yeah, I can see that if I were Spector and I thought that, I'd be pretty angry too. On the other hand, I think Brian moved beyond merely imitating Spector and did something entirely different with the basic Wall-of-Sound template. I think that is why people tend to laud Brian, because he was not just imitating Spector -- he had the formula down, and he was moving beyond it (not to mention the rest of the pop music world too). Maybe Phil was a little jealous of Brian's own talent too and he actually felt a little threatened, even!

Okay, I'm done my amateur psychoanalysis.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »

I think Spector admires Brian more than he is ready to admit, since he obviously faced some stiff competition there. Personally, I think Spector is the greatest producer, but Brian is a better songwriter and vocal arranger, and he was the leader of the world's greatest band.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »

To a degree I can understand why Spector would be angry at someone like Brian Wilson: although Brian said time and time again that he was inspired by Phil Spector and that he [Spector] is a genius, no one -- ostensibly for Spector this meant mainly 'critics' or 'industry people' -- paid any attention to him. Instead, it was Wilson who became the popular one labelled as a genus and lauded by virtually everyone. Despite the fact that Spector did it all first and did it best to boot!

So, yeah, I can see that if I were Spector and I thought that, I'd be pretty angry too. On the other hand, I think Brian moved beyond merely imitating Spector and did something entirely different with the basic Wall-of-Sound template. I think that is why people tend to laud Brian, because he was not just imitating Spector -- he had the formula down, and he was moving beyond it (not to mention the rest of the pop music world too). Maybe Phil was a little jealous of Brian's own talent too and he actually felt a little threatened, even!

Okay, I'm done my amateur psychoanalysis.

You make a lot of excellent points.  As great as he was, Phil never really diversified his sound - he was the master at what he did, but he never seemed to have that ambition like Brian had to progress and keep growing.  Yes, Brian learned an awful lot from Phil, and without Phil, virtually every Beach Boys record Brian ever made would have been different in some way.  But Brian had essentially mastered the "Wall of Sound" by 1964.  He could have continued making those kinds of records, but instead he took what Spector had taught him and added other elements to it, most importantly his own creativity and desire to make each album better than the last in every aspect.  Spector could have never pulled off anything like Pet Sounds or Smile.

Keep in mind too that Brian's "genius" label isn't only based on his skills as a producer/arranger.  Unlike Spector, Brian is one of the most accomplished songwriters of the rock era, and would have been even if he hadn't been the one producing and arranging the records.  It would be a bit unreasonable for Spector to really think that his achievements (while certainly great and underappreciated to a degree) deserve to be held in the same esteem as those of Brian.  As you point out, I think jealously is a big part of Spector's feelings towards Brian - Phil graciously took Brian in as his student/protege, Brian learned the lessons well and proceeded to school his teacher.  Even though Brian has readily acknowledged how much he learned from Spector (and has, in my opinion, always been a little too deferential to Spector's work vs. his own), it makes perfect sense that it would leave Phil with some animosity towards Brian
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »

But Spector DID diversify his sound - the Beatles and solo albums, the Dion album, Ramones, quite different from the wall of sound he pioneered. And he did cut a few great albums, too, it wasn't all about singles, try "Love is all we have to Give", by Sonny Charles & the Checkmates from '69, an overlooked masterpiece.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 02:25:32 AM »

From what i understand Phil Spector was always pretty dismissive of Brian Wilson i think he said something along the lines of i didn't think he was that talented to begin with and he once through brian out of a recording session because his piano playing wasn't good enough apparently. If you ask me Spector was bitten by the green-eyed monster.

Yeah, the part about Brian not being all that talented is from Mick Browns interview with Spector just before the Lana Clarkson killing. It's featured in Brown's great Spector-bio 'Tearing Down the Wall of Sound.' But Spector overall comes across as pretty cocky during those interviews so I'm not so sure if that's how he really feels or if he's just putting on a performance as the big genius dismissing everybody else like he's done with other industry people (George Martin, David Geffen, Elvis etc.)

I do remember reading somewhere that Spector was quite impressed by Brian during the 60s and that he symphasised with the pressure he was under from both the Beach Boys, Murrey and Capitol. It may have been in Mick Brown's book as well....

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:27:12 AM »

To Mike's right is Ron Swallow and to Brian's left always struck me as Bob Hope! Corrections welcome.

Who's Ron Swallow?

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:40:24 AM »

But Spector DID diversify his sound - the Beatles and solo albums, the Dion album, Ramones, quite different from the wall of sound he pioneered. And he did cut a few great albums, too, it wasn't all about singles, try "Love is all we have to Give", by Sonny Charles & the Checkmates from '69, an overlooked masterpiece.

I'm with Chris though - Spector's main problem seems that he didn't venture too much outside his Wall of Sound approach. The Beatles and solo albums I reckon was more a case of others keeping Spector on a tight leash so he couldn't pour a gazillion instruments onto the songs. There's a story about him remixing Instant Karma for the US single and adding echo and other things in order to make it sound bigger and more bombastic.  Smiley

Also, even though the mid to late 70s work he did with Cher, Dion, John Lennon (Rock'n'Roll), Jerri Bo Keno etc. is more a dirge of sound than a wall it's basically still the same approach he used in the 60s, albeit slowed down. It's funny though - as much as I love his 60s recordings, I love these 70s productions even more. I really wish he had followed this path much more. For those who haven't heard this stuff, check out these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utX6amsOhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0dlPgCjzzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_SyUu4vQ0

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 03:33:25 AM »

I'm with Chris though - Spector's main problem seems that he didn't venture too much outside his Wall of Sound approach. The Beatles and solo albums I reckon was more a case of others keeping Spector on a tight leash so he couldn't pour a gazillion instruments onto the songs. There's a story about him remixing Instant Karma for the US single and adding echo and other things in order to make it sound bigger and more bombastic.  Smiley

Also, even though the mid to late 70s work he did with Cher, Dion, John Lennon (Rock'n'Roll), Jerri Bo Keno etc. is more a dirge of sound than a wall it's basically still the same approach he used in the 60s, albeit slowed down. It's funny though - as much as I love his 60s recordings, I love these 70s productions even more. I really wish he had followed this path much more. For those who haven't heard this stuff, check out these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utX6amsOhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0dlPgCjzzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_SyUu4vQ0

Gee the drums sound similar in al of those...

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »

What made the Wall of Sound click for me was when I read He's A Rebel by Mark Ribowski, published in 1988. The extensive descriptions of what Phil was trying to accomplish illuminated the process, and listening to "Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love?" drove it home in practice. The way the drums, percussion, and bells overwhelm you in that song and join with the sung lyrics to unleash unbridled teenage angst is magnificent! (I know, I know -- it's sacrilege that this didn't occur to me until recently and that it wasn't with "Be My Baby" or whatever other popularly-lauded song!)

[. . .] Spector's main problem seems that he didn't venture too much outside his Wall of Sound approach. The Beatles and solo albums I reckon was more a case of others keeping Spector on a tight leash so he couldn't pour a gazillion instruments onto the songs. There's a story about him remixing Instant Karma for the US single and adding echo and other things in order to make it sound bigger and more bombastic.  Smiley

Also, even though the mid to late 70s work he did with Cher, Dion, John Lennon (Rock'n'Roll), Jerri Bo Keno etc. is more a dirge of sound than a wall it's basically still the same approach he used in the 60s, albeit slowed down. It's funny though - as much as I love his 60s recordings, I love these 70s productions even more. I really wish he had followed this path much more. [. . .]

I think this is correct too, that Spector basically never stopped doing what he did in the 1960s, he just was more constrained because by the 1970s he wasn't working with performers he could control absolutely and so had less wiggle room. As jejune as I find The Beatles, I have always liked the comparative simplicity of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and it surprised me to learn Spector produced it! He could hunker down and turn out some claustrophobic jams if he wanted, and that is the sort of style he should have followed more, I think.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:27:38 AM by Midnight Special » Logged
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 09:49:32 AM »

I like Terry Melcher's observation on the difference between the two (from the Endless Harmony vid), it seems pretty spot on to me. 
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »

The compressed piano sound on "Instant Karma" and "Imagine"  was Spector's greatest accomplishment.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »

Who's Ron Swallow?
He was a roadie, I think, and relative of Brian's (i think).

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »

Who's Ron Swallow?
He was a roadie, I think, and relative of Brian's (i think).

Roadie yes, relative, no.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »

I like Terry Melcher's observation on the difference between the two (from the Endless Harmony vid), it seems pretty spot on to me. 

Which is?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

Which is?

Not an exact quote (don't have the doc around me right now): "Phil had these layered sounds... But it sounded angry. Phil's thing was anger. Brian's was love."

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

I always found Phil's sound to be much more of a true "Wall of Sound" where as Brian was a little more nuanced. I think its also worthwhile to consider the differing instrumentation: compare Today to Phil's best records. Today is still very much a guitar album.
Brian's non-Beach Boy's productions are very similar to Phil's though.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 01:14:47 PM »

Which is?

Yes, essentially what SloopJohn stated.  He made the observation that Phil's thing was all about anger (which I took to mean that wall of sound bludgeoning the listner), where as Brian's approached was more tender, his thing was love, "Brian was always looking for love."
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »

Well... yeah, that's a really obvious and superficial thing to say. I mean, at least the Ribowski book went into how precisely Phil did what he did to create that sense of "anger" hovering over all of his 1960s output. That is what made it interesting to me and why I more closely listened to Spector's stuff the next time after reading it. Without it, it's still obvious that he's trying to assault you with sound so if you were to go "hey, Spector tries to overwhelm you with sounds!" I would think a correct response would be "yes, I know". To make it a little more interesting I would think it'd be worthwhile to explain how he did this -- and in the case of Melcher, how this differed from Brian's production techniques. I mean, it doesn't need to get overly technical but it'd surely be a lot more interesting than something so soporific. Beach Boys fans are capable of higher-order music discussion too, and sometimes I wonder how well people in and around the Beach Boys realise this!

I AM NEEDLESSLY ANNOYED AT THAT QUOTE
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 02:31:18 PM »

I don't think it has really anything to do with anger, though some of the material Phil was working with was a little more caustic. I think its more of a sense of grandeur that made Phil's music so 'huge'.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »

Brian and Phil are kind of like an ornate samurai sword and a sledgehammer. Brian has more intricacy and craft, but when Spector hits you, he bloody well hits you.

I mean, the difference between Be My Baby and Wouldn't It Nice, musically, speaks for itself. Spector never got really sophisticated like Brian did. But he just got THAT SOUND out of a studio. 

He got dumber during the 70's as well - The Nilsson/Cher track is especially telling when put against his own version from '66, done with Ike and Tina. So much less finesse, just plodding drums and saxophones. I think that the Cohen, Dion and mid 70's Lennon sessions just sound drunk and half assed. I love them, but they aren't comparable to his heyday. He lost it somewhere after Sometime In New York City.... The Ramones record was really different for him (probably because they were so opposed to his usual tricks), and then he just.... stopped.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »

That's a good way to put it.

I often wonder if Phil lost his touch or if it was the change in recording that made his 70's recordings so bland. His sound is so much about the room and that mono, lofish ambience.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx