gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681555 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 03:56:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Henry Miller Library Big Sur Beachboys reunion this Friday!?  (Read 5502 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »

My friend from Carmel Big Sur area , practicaly a neighbor of Al Jardine, just called to tell me of an article in the Coast Weekly reporting a tentative Beachboys reunion tomorrow night in Big Sur.  Supposed to be everyone who played or participated in the Postcards project.

And furthermore, reports of a 5 concert free concert series to celebrate the 50th coming up.  Free so to circumvent all legal binds of doing a for profit series.

I am being encouraged to hop a flight for San Jose tonight where I will be whisked down to Big Sur for the event tomorrow.

Of course I am skeptical and said I would immediately touch bases with you folks to see if any of this has been rumoured or verified.

So.........HuhHuh?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »

Well?Huh?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »

I suspect that if something like that were to actually happen, it would be very "low key", and you wouldn't really know for sure until you actually saw everybody there. If you were being offered an "all expenses paid" trip, then I'd take it in a heartbeat.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »

Not David, according to his wife:
http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1286372094&user=bellagio
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »

I am being encouraged to hop a flight for San Jose tonight where I will be whisked down to Big Sur for the event tomorrow.

Good luck with "being whisked"...the wife I and just returned late Sunday night from our weeklong honeymoon in Big Sur.  The "way FROM San Jose" to Big Sur, coastal Highway 101 morphing into Highway 1, is rocky, winding, and particularly treacherous when drivers behind you insist on breaking the speed limit...which they frequently do.   Otherwise, we found Big Sur to be absolutely breathtaking!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »

Hey donald, take a fellow West Virginian if you go?  Wink

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »

Mike & Bruce are playing Biloxi in Mississippi that night, Carrie says David's not attending, and somehow I don't see Carl turning up, so that leaves Brian. I really wish people would do some very basic Googling before starting threads like this. The article's author almost certainly means Alan's studio band.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:07:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 04:50:29 AM »

Mike & Bruce are playing Biloxi in Mississippi that night, Carrie says David's not attending, and somehow I don't see Carl turning up, so that leaves Brian. I really wish people would do some very basic Googling before starting threads like this. The article's author almost certainly means Alan's studio band.

I was so excited when I got the call that I came straight to the computer and directly to this site.  Never thought to even look at the Beach Boys tour schedule 1st.  I think my friend wanted to give me the "scoop" as a resident of the area.

That is why I asked you guys.  I knew someone here could pretty quickly confirm the report.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:51:36 AM by donald » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:09:10 AM »

I was so excited when I got the call that I came straight to the computer and directly to this site.  Never thought to even look at the Beach Boys tour schedule 1st.  I think my friend wanted to give me the "scoop" as a resident of the area.

That is why I asked you guys.  I knew someone here could pretty quickly confirm the report.

Just pleased to have saved you the plane ticket. Here's the relevant section from the article in question:

"While the new Beach Boys recording looks unlikely at this point, Jardine does say there are plans to reunite with his remaining bandmates to celebrate the Beach Boys’ 50th anniversary next year. “We are still debating how that might work,” he says. “We’ve agreed to do five free concerts. We don’t know where.”

But those five shows look like all that Beach Boys fans can hope for at this point. “It’s complicated,” Jardine reiterates as his dog Porkchop sniffs around his legs. “It’s complicated with so many managers, lawyers and candlestick makers. It’s kind of like a crazy little nursery rhyme really.”

There’s an interesting twist on that tale, though: Since the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer says he invited everyone who played on A Postcard From California to the Henry Miller Library show, it’s possible that first Beach Boys show could be part of Jardine’s hometown debut after all.

AL JARDINE and a TBD special-guest backing band play at 7:30pm Friday, Oct. 8, at Henry Miller Library, located a quarter mile south of Nepenthe Restaurant on Highway 1, Big Sur. $35 plus fees. 667-2574."

"says he invited everyone who played on..."  Roll Eyes

BTW, my sources say the "agreed to do five free concerts" claim is somewhat questionable.

This is very cool: Red Barn Studio
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:25:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 06:49:54 AM »

This is very cool: Red Barn Studio

That was cool.
Tho,  I was SO hoping for some closeups of concert flyers from early 1962 before Al left the group, the first time. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:56:54 PM »

If I were anywhere near the Monterey Bay area tonight, I would still want to go.  Seeing Al perform  in his natural "habitat" would be great, even without the other Beachboys.

If anyone gets a report on the show, please post.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »

I'm anywhere near the Monterey Bay area tonight, Don. 

Film at 11.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »

Aren't you south of SF?

I've been all over Big Sur over the years but never attended a function at this venue.  I hear it's unique and very in the spirit and history of the area.

So Mikie, if you get news at 11:00 (2:00 EST)  post it and I'll have a look in the a.m.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 02:40:59 AM »

News on this?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 06:39:39 AM »

What would you like to know? Ask away.

Al on vocals & guitar, Matt Jardine on vocals and percussion, Adam Jardine on vocals, Billy Hinsche on keyboard, Ed Carter on bass, Bobby Figueroa on drums, Tom Jacob on Hammond B-3 organ, Johnny Mirani on harmonica, Scott Slaughter also on keyboard, and another guy playing a cello that sounded great on Good Vibrations! I know I'm missing one guy - maybe a guitar player. There's a guy named Stevie Hegar that usually plays in Al's band - forgive me if he was there and I neglected to include him here. Not sure if Richie Cannata was there playing sax either. Steve Kalinich read poetry before and during the show!

Here's what I remember. There may be a couple I left out, but this is pretty much it - not in this order:

LITTLE DEUCE COUPE
SHUT DOWN
I GET AROUND
SAIL ON SAILOR
CAMPFIRE SCENE (Intro to CAL SAGA)
CALIFORNIA SAGA
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
DO IT AGAIN
CATCH A WAVE
HAWAII
KOKOMO
GOD ONLY KNOWS
RUNAWAY
CALIFORNIA FEELIN'
LOOKIN' DOWN THE COAST
DON'T FIGHT THE SEA
TIDEPOOL INTERLUDE
SAN SIMEON
DRIVIN'
HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY
A POSTCARD FROM CALIFORNIA
AND I ALWAYS WILL
WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
SLOOP JOHN B.
DO YOU WANNA DANCE
DANCE, DANCE, DANCE
GOOD VIBRATIONS
HELP ME RHONDA
BARBARA ANN
FUN, FUN, FUN
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:42:10 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 07:55:45 AM »

No Brian ?

No Mike ?

No Bruce ?

No David ?

No Carl ?

No Dennis ?

Some reunion that turned out to be.  Angry

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »

I thought there might be an outside chance that one of the members of CSNY might show up, or even Steve Miller, but no dice. Neil Young doesn't live too far away, but according to Al, he had a hard time getting Neil down to Big Sur the first time. Ol' Stevie Kalinich did the Alec Baldwin interlude, and it was cool! Mentioned some lyrics he'd written with Brian.........

A cool part was when Al played California Saga, and when they got to the part of the song about "Big Sur", the local yokels let out a whoop 'n a holler!

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »

What would you like to know? Ask away.

Thanks for the report!
My first question would be: from what you observed, do you believe audio/video recordings of this event might accidentally exist?
Not that I would like to hear or see this.. that would be wrong..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN9Vf8V54ws

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 08:21:04 AM »

The entire concert was definitely recorded. I saw a pro video camera strategically set up on a tripod in the middle of the venue. Also saw two nice cameras set up with zoom lenses on each side in the back.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:38:24 AM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »

Highlights for me. Watching the Beach Boys supporting musicians that I grew up seeing on stage at concerts in the 70's and 80's. Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, and Bobby Figueroa. These guys haven't missed a beat and are as good, if not better than they use to be. Billy sang a very strong "Sail On Sailor". Fantastic!! He reminded the crowd that he ws part of Dino, Desi, and Billy, and that he was the brother-in-law of the late Carl Wilson. Bobby wailed on the drums and it's no wonder he use to fill in beautifully on drums when Dennis was incapacitated or just tired. He use to play percussion with the Boys as his primary duty. Ed Carter played bass and sang the harmony parts with precision! "Smilin' Eddie Carter" he was called last night - otherwise known as "Steady Eddie Carter". Damn, I loved seeing those guys again. And Matt Jardine. His falsetto easily rivals anyone, including Jeff Foskett and Randell Kirsch. If you don't believe me, listen to the Red Barn Rehearsals and acoustic sets with The Boys from 1993. Gone is the pony tail, but the guy can not only still sing, but plays a mean percussion too! There was a guy playing a real cello on stage, and Al walked over to him and made a big deal of it near the end of Good Vibrations with extended playing and his mic was turned up in the mix to emphasize his part. Really neat touch.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:43:07 AM by Mikie » Logged

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

My first question would be: from what you observed, do you believe audio/video recordings of this event might accidentally exist?

Don't know about the camera in the middle of the venue, but I was told the videographer who was set up in the back on the deck was given permission to record the entire show only if the video recordings were not posted or distributed.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 02:39:23 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:54 PM »

Here's what I remember. There may be a couple I left out, but this is pretty much it - not in this order:

RUNAROUND SUE

Thanks so much for the report and setlist, Mikie! 

Just a minor correction, Mikie meant to type "Runaway" rather than "Runaround Sue".
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »

Al last nite in Big Sur.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »

Just a minor correction, Mikie meant to type "Runaway" rather than "Runaround Sue".

Correction acknowledged and duly noted!

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:15 PM »

Don't know about the camera in the middle of the venue, but I was told the videographer who was set up in the back on the deck was given permission to record the entire show only if the video recordings were not posted or distributed.

So you got his name and info? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx