gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:55:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where'd they all go?  (Read 3018 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »

What happened to all our honoured guests' posts? Since they were hived away into their own section, they all seem to have gone quiet, other than Jon and Carrie's welcome occasional posts here in the main board topics.

Have they gone shy?

Are Mark and Alan too busy preparing the 50th anniversary multi-media box sets?

Is Mr Desper occupied writing his next book and commissioning a million spatializers?

etc etc etc...

Just wondered  -  it'd be great to read their offerings again!

“We live in divisive times.”
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:17:08 AM »

Seconded.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:30:40 AM »

50th anniversary multi media box sets?HuhHuh
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:19:28 AM »

What happened to all our honoured guests' posts? Since they were hived away into their own section, they all seem to have gone quiet, other than Jon and Carrie's welcome occasional posts here in the main board topics.

Have they gone shy?

Are Mark and Alan too busy preparing the 50th anniversary multi-media box sets?

Is Mr Desper occupied writing his next book and commissioning a million spatializers?

etc etc etc...

Just wondered  -  it'd be great to read their offerings again!

didn't he break his arm a while ago and post that he wouldn't be on for a while?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »

They had gone silent before they were hived off. That's one of the reasons they were -- a huge portion of real estate at the top of the main forum was taken up with inactive threads.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »

I'd like to see the Honored Guests section restored to the top of 'General On Topic Discussions' where it used to be.  As a 'Child Board', the Honored Guests section is now basically totally ignored.  I know I never get around to checking it.  Yes, many of  the Honored Guests also post in regular threads, but it was really nice to have a separate section where specific questions could be asked of the Honored Guests.

My recollection is that two or three people said they took up too much room at the top, so they got moved.  I say "Bring 'em back to the forefront!"

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »

I went out drinking with Alan Boyd a few days ago.  He's alive and well.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »

Custom, did you not read what I posted right before you?

The threads had been ignored already. The "honored guests" were not posting. The threads were inactive. They took up a lot of space. They were moved to a subsection because they were cluttering up the top. If they're not being used, why have them there?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »

I'd like to see the Honored Guests section restored to the top of 'General On Topic Discussions' where it used to be.  As a 'Child Board', the Honored Guests section is now basically totally ignored.  I know I never get around to checking it.  Yes, many of  the Honored Guests also post in regular threads, but it was really nice to have a separate section where specific questions could be asked of the Honored Guests.

My recollection is that two or three people said they took up too much room at the top, so they got moved.  I say "Bring 'em back to the forefront!"

Agree

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »

It's been somewhat less lively 'round here lately.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »

The threads had been ignored already. The "honored guests" were not posting. The threads were inactive. They took up a lot of space. They were moved to a subsection because they were cluttering up the top. If they're not being used, why have them there?

I read it but I still agree with Custom. Out of sight out of mind I suppose, what little mind is left.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

I also agree with Custom,

when I logged in I always checked the honoured guests for new posts as I scrolled down to the active links....
now I check a lot less frequently.... Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:36:20 PM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

I agree with Custome Machine. But to justify putting the section back at the top of the page, you need to have the "Honored Guests" post there fairly often; maybe once a week or at least at a moderate rate.

If you elect me as an "Honored Guest", I promise to post in that section at least one per week.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:27:30 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »

I'll vote for Mikie!  Hey, he saw the "Wild Honey" stained glass first hand!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »

Yes, Wirestone, I did read your post.  And yes, some honored guests rarely posted.  Some posted in bursts.  But with the Honored Guests now on a "Child Board" they are posting even less, and we are posting far fewer questions for them. 

Like I said, with the current format, it pretty much guarantees that the Honored Guests section will be ignored by one and all.  One of the coolest things about this board, imo, is that we have a number of BB experts as members.  We are fortunate that people like Doe, Stebbins, Roach, etc. are regular posters in various threads, but when the Honored Guests were at the top of General On Topic Discussions, it was very easy to post a question for them and very easy to check the dates to see if there were any recent posts.  As a result, I think they should be brought back to the forefront. 

How about this --  if an Honored Guest hasn't posted in, say, two years, their thread could be archived and moved to a Child Board, then reactivated if they ever get back to posting again.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »

Yes, Wirestone, I did read your post.  And yes, some honored guests rarely posted.  Some posted in bursts.  But with the Honored Guests now on a "Child Board" they are posting even less, and we are posting far fewer questions for them.  

Like I said, with the current format, it pretty much guarantees that the Honored Guests section will be ignored by one and all.  One of the coolest things about this board, imo, is that we have a number of BB experts as members.  We are fortunate that people like Doe, Stebbins, Roach, etc. are regular posters in various threads, but when the Honored Guests were at the top of General On Topic Discussions, it was very easy to post a question for them and very easy to check the dates to see if there were any recent posts.  As a result, I think they should be brought back to the forefront.  

How about this --  if an Honored Guest hasn't posted in, say, two years, their thread could be archived and moved to a Child Board, then reactivated if they ever get back to posting again.

I'm happy with the way things are now.
Jon  posts here, regularly, when he has something to add. Carrie also posts, somewhat less regularly, but still, when she has something to say.
The others post, seemingly, when they feel like it( which is rare).
 Stephen, tho, did break his arm back in august, making it impossible for him to type
Do they post less because they're "out of sight, out of mind?" maybe. But Maybe they like it that way. Give them a break.

Ya know, call me stupid, but I haven't seen even ONE of them posting about how they want to be back to at the top
I think all the Honoured Guests have better things to do with their time; they'll return to post, if and when they have something to say.

Still, Desper's six weeks of  healing should be near an end;  to make it easier on him, maybe his thread could be brought back to the top, until the end of the year; and if he isn't posting often enough to justify the thread's presence, it could be placed back with the others?
Purely for his benefit tho.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:40:23 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx