gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:29:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate 15 Big Ones
5 - 9 (6.2%)
4 - 22 (15.2%)
3 - 44 (30.3%)
2 - 49 (33.8%)
1 - 17 (11.7%)
0 - 4 (2.8%)
Total Voters: 132

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 15 Big Ones  (Read 76265 times)
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2012, 06:57:50 AM »

I think if I didn't know that "Everyone's In Love With You" was about the Maharishi...I'd like it a lot more.  The song is okay to listen to.  I'm glad that Mike has been able to find peace through TM.  No judgement in that regard.  "15 Big Ones" is not a bad record...though I can see how it was a let-down for some listeners when it was released.  It has a lot of Brian Wilson craziness...which might not be for the average fan...but I like it.  I wish they had gone with more originals over covers...but it is what it is.  Brian sounds so manic at times...I love him on "That Same Song"..."way back in time...with just a rhythm and rhyme...Gregorian chants were a real big thing-ahhh..."  I can picture the crazy, beared Brian in one of his robes rocking that out on the piano!!!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »

I think if I didn't know that "Everyone's In Love With You" was about the Maharishi...I'd like it a lot more.  The song is okay to listen to.  I'm glad that Mike has been able to find peace through TM.  No judgement in that regard.  "15 Big Ones" is not a bad record...though I can see how it was a let-down for some listeners when it was released.  It has a lot of Brian Wilson craziness...which might not be for the average fan...but I like it.  I wish they had gone with more originals over covers...but it is what it is.  Brian sounds so manic at times...I love him on "That Same Song"..."way back in time...with just a rhythm and rhyme...Gregorian chants were a real big thing-ahhh..."  I can picture the crazy, beared Brian in one of his robes rocking that out on the piano!!!
I honestly thought that Mike wrote this for Brian, but that would make Mike look like a good guy.

As I think of this with the other songs, kinda sounds outta place with Susie Cincinatti, but what if Pacific Ocean Blues, Angel Come Home, Holy Man, or Good Timin' had been on that record...wow, it'd blow my mind.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2012, 07:23:28 AM »

I agree 100%!!  They had some good songs that were not included at the time.  Was this because Brian was on such an oldies trip?  If you were to replace some of the covers (or all of them) with original songs it would have been a far better record.  It definitely could have benefited from some of Dennis' solo compositions from that era.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »

This is an album that probably disappointed about everybody when it came out.  You had the fans that loved the amazing touring band that had previously released Holland, you had the casual fans that had just gotten back into the Beach Boys courtesy of Endless Summer and you had the Brian worshipers who were hoping for another masterpiece due to all the hype.  15 Big Ones was bound to disappoint with all of the hype it received, I think it was about the worst album they could have released at that moment in time. 

All these years later, though, it doesn't seem so bad....
Excellent points.  15 Big Ones was probably the biggest let down since Smiley Smile.  I don't remember first hand, since I was just a wee child... but that certainly makes sense to me.  15 Big Ones had to have had a high "WTF-factor."  Brian's condition was simply bizarre.

He went from this, in 1971

To this...  Shocked

I really, really like 15 Big Ones.  It almost has a "rude" dirty quality.  Funky production -- it does sound really good CRANKED.  There's a real punky, "f- it" quality... one that, for me, melds really well with the innocent, malt-shop oldies -- in a kind of raunchy, unexpected and ironic way.

I sometimes skip "Everyone's in love with you."  It's a fine song... I guess, but it kind of kills the party.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2013, 11:35:26 AM »

This is an album that probably disappointed about everybody when it came out.  You had the fans that loved the amazing touring band that had previously released Holland, you had the casual fans that had just gotten back into the Beach Boys courtesy of Endless Summer and you had the Brian worshipers who were hoping for another masterpiece due to all the hype.  15 Big Ones was bound to disappoint with all of the hype it received, I think it was about the worst album they could have released at that moment in time. 

All these years later, though, it doesn't seem so bad....
Excellent points.  15 Big Ones was probably the biggest let down since Smiley Smile.  I don't remember first hand, since I was just a wee child... but that certainly makes sense to me.  15 Big Ones had to have had a high "WTF-factor."  Brian's condition was simply bizarre.

He went from this, in 1971

To this...  Shocked

I really, really like 15 Big Ones.  It almost has a "rude" dirty quality.  Funky production -- it does sound really good CRANKED.  There's a real punky, "f- it" quality... one that, for me, melds really well with the innocent, malt-shop oldies -- in a kind of raunchy, unexpected and ironic way.

I sometimes skip "Everyone's in love with you."  It's a fine song... I guess, but it kind of kills the party.

That is an excellent way to describe the LP!  When you put it that way...yeah...I can definitely dig it!  I think Brian did kind of have a "f- it" mindset when he was putting it together.  The dude was "out there"...to put it mildly...and I think it carries through in the music.  That's not definitely a bad thing, however!  I know "Drip Drop" was recorded a few years later...but think about how that song sounded: Brian letting loose...maybe going off the rails...but having fun while doing it!

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »

It's OK is a good song, but it's Mike's goshdarn vocals. There's something about the way he sings "in the shade lemonade" that just makes me cringe.
Talk To Me is criminally underrated though...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:47 AM »

I like this album much more now that I listen to it for the sonic textures rather than the songs, haha.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »

I like it more now too. It's still as much of a sleazy, smug-ass sellout as it ever was, but there are some great moments and I can easily hear Love You in it. I even enjoy some of the covers (though not so much the ones on Side B).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:00:53 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »

The instrumental track to Just Once In My Life is amazing- no, it's Surreal....
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2013, 12:55:31 AM »

Had To Phone Ya is one of the band's best songs of the 70s
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:32 AM »

I was flicking through old magazines the other day and came across a rather fun interview with Ralf Hütter and Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk. This one is from a 1976 issue of Rock & Folk:

[About The Beach Boys as a source of inspiration:]

"Yes, in their songs they managed to concentrate a maximum of fundamental ideas. In 100 years from now, when people will want to know what California was like in the 60s, they only had to listen a single by the Beach Boys."

Did you go to some concerts during your trip in the States? Did you see the Beach Boys live?

Ralf Hütter: Yes, we have seen them in a big stadium. It was gorgeous, like a rebirth. There's a wonderful and very poignant song in their last album, "Once In My life". I'd like to dare to say once in my life what Brian Wilson says in that song...

Where does your passion for the Beach Boys come from?

Ralf Hütter: The intelligence of their thoughts regarding american reality put onto records.

Florian Schneider: When we reached California and Hollywood, we were able to say: yes, it's exactly like that, like in the songs of the Beach Boys.

Smokin
bluesno1fann
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »

like the M.I.U. album, it only has one great track.
That track is "Just Once In My Life".
The rest of the album is almost not worth mentioning.
0.5 out of 5
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:33:13 PM by bluesno1fann » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »

Some people are propably gonna hate me because of this review  Grin I actually dig this album, a lot! There's couple weak songs, some mediocre stuff and many really great tracks on this record! I can completely understand why people didn't like this when it was released. After all the hype of Brian's return people got an album full of covers. Who wouldn't be dissappointed? But well I didn't live any of that, I had read all the bad comments about it and when I first time put it in my player I was expecting something really horrible. But I was bummed! I found it really fun record. Not bad at all! And I find it so ironic and funny that still today Brian often says this is his favorite album of all they ever made. Last time I remember him saying so was last year when The beach boys were answering twitter questions live. I love almost everything on this album, especially Brian's vocals!

Rock and Roll Music 3.5/5
Great opener, in my opinion this is the best version of this mediocre song. The Made in California mix is better though.

It's O.K. 5/5 all the way
Classic! Brian really knows how to make a 2 minute song. Dennis' vocals rule, so cool! This is one of the most underrated Beach boys' songs ever.

Had to Phone Ya 5/5
Same here as with It's O.K. I love how everyone has he's own part. Simple lyrics, so Brian. And the fade-out's: -Hello -Hi Brian!, is so funny! I have the instrumental track of this as my ringtone.

Chapel of Love 3/5
Nice synthesizers, Brian's vocals are awesome even though many people seem to dismiss this. The original version ain't this good.

Everyone's in Love with You 3.5/5
I pretend that the Maharishi-thing never happened with this band when I listen to this. It's a good song.

Talk to Me 2/5
Boring, only good thing in this track is Carl's vocals.

That Same Song 3.5/5
Seems like Brian had a lot of fun here, it's not a classic song at any level, but really funny. Especially the footage where they all sing this with the choir. Fun little song.

T M Song 3/5
I hate the spoken part in the beginning. Otherwise it's really good actually. Short and catchy.

Palisades Park 4/5
One of the best covers of the album. Carl rules here!

Susie Cincinnati 3/5
With TM Song the worst original song on the album. Not a bad song, but not really good either.

A Casual Look 3/5
Mediocre.

Blueberry Hill 3/5
Little bit better than Casual look, the intro is great! Nice vocals by Mike.

Back Home 5/5!
This is really weird song IMO. Brian singing about going back home to Ohio and feeding chickens? What's not to like! And this has a killer bassline!

In the Still of the Night 5/5
Very touching vocals by Dennis. He makes this song.

Just Once in My Life 5/5
Wow! Can it get any better from this? The instruments and sounds are very unique, I haven't ever heard anything like this before or after. And the vocals are amazing. Perfect song to end this album.

So for the whole thing 4/5. I usually dislike the idea to cover songs, or record cover songs. This album is one exception, I hadn't heard most of the original ones before I listened this album. I listened them after these versions. They are all mediocre stuff, nothing special about them. I dig these versions a lot more. BUT I  got to admit, they shouldn't have done an album like this, doing half new and half old ones. Should've been an album completely new ones and other with these covers.  And btw, I love the cover photo, the one with the circled pics. It's so cheesy that it's actually pretty genius!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »

Some people are propably gonna hate me because of this review  Grin I actually dig this album, a lot! There's couple weak songs, some mediocre stuff and many really great tracks on this record! I can completely understand why people didn't like this when it was released. After all the hype of Brian's return people got an album full of covers. Who wouldn't be dissappointed? But well I didn't live any of that, I had read all the bad comments about it and when I first time put it in my player I was expecting something really horrible. But I was bummed! I found it really fun record. Not bad at all! And I find it so ironic and funny that still today Brian often says this is his favorite album of all they ever made. Last time I remember him saying so was last year when The beach boys were answering twitter questions live. I love almost everything on this album, especially Brian's vocals!

Great opener, in my opinion this is the best version of this mediocre song. The Made in California mix is better though.

Classic! Brian really knows how to make a 2 minute song. Dennis' vocals rule, so cool! This is one of the most underrated Beach boys' songs ever.

Had to Phone Ya 5/5
Same here as with It's O.K. I love how everyone has he's own part. Simple lyrics, so Brian. And the fade-out's: -Hello -Hi Brian!, is so funny! I have the instrumental track of this as my ringtone.

Chapel of Love 3/5
Nice synthesizers, Brian's vocals are awesome even though many people seem to dismiss this. The original version ain't this good.

I pretend that the Maharishi-thing never happened with this band when I listen to this. It's a good song.

Talk to Me 2/5

That Same Song 3.5/5
Seems like Brian had a lot of fun here, it's not a classic song at any level, but really funny. Especially the footage where they all sing this with the choir. Fun little song.

T M Song 3/5
I hate the spoken part in the beginning. Otherwise it's really good actually. Short and catchy.

Palisades Park 4/5

Susie Cincinnati 3/5
With TM Song the worst original song on the album. Not a bad song, but not really good either.

A Casual Look 3/5
Mediocre.

Blueberry Hill 3/5

Back Home 5/5!
This is really weird song IMO. Brian singing about going back home to Ohio and feeding chickens? What's not to like! And this has a killer bassline!

Just Once in My Life 5/5
Wow! Can it get any better from this? The instruments and sounds are very unique, I haven't ever heard anything like this before or after. And the vocals are amazing. Perfect song to end this album.

So for the whole thing 4/5. I usually dislike the idea to cover songs, or record cover songs. This album is one exception, I hadn't heard most of the original ones before I listened this album. I listened them after these versions. They are all mediocre stuff, nothing special about them. I dig these versions a lot more. BUT I  got to admit, they shouldn't have done an album like this, doing half new and half old ones. Should've been an album completely new ones and other with these covers.  And btw, I love the cover photo, the one with the circled pics. It's so cheesy that it's actually pretty genius!

I wonder what your review of SIP would be like...
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »

I wonder what your review of SIP would be like...
You'll see!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »

0.5 out of 5

Do you really dislike Had To Phone Ya? That track really sets the tone for Love You, imo.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 12:15:08 AM »

0.5 out of 5

Do you really dislike Had To Phone Ya? That track really sets the tone for Love You, imo.
I love "Love You", but not 14/15 of the tracks from 15 Big Ones.
That includes "Had To Phone Ya"
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »

Definitely disappointing after Holland, and I agree they should have ditched the covers idea. They should have kept maybe a few covers and the rest originals. A few of the covers are really awesome, like "Palasades Park" and "Just Once In My Life". I enjoy the odd synth symphony sounds on "Chapel Of Love". Agreed with a previous poster who said they listen for the sonic textures more than the song. The song choices aren't the best, but the production is certainly kind of interesting. When they do really cheesy like "Everyone's In Love With You" or just mediocre straight covers like "A Casual Look" then it is just bland and does not sound very good.

It's an odd mixed bag of an album but I think it's good overall. Maybe I'm used to it from years of listening, but there's no doubt there's a handful of great tracks here. Carl is most notably awesome on here, and "Talk To Me" is definitely very underrated.

I think it could have been a lot better. More originals, possibly from Carl or Dennis, and better choice of covers like some of the outtakes which are so good you don't know why they canned them (Sea Cruise and Mony Mony).
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »

One of the worst albums ever made. Had To Phone Ya and and Just Once In My Life are stunning, however, and better than anything on the previous two LPs.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »

Some people are propably gonna hate me because of this review  Grin I actually dig this album, a lot! There's couple weak songs, some mediocre stuff and many really great tracks on this record! I can completely understand why people didn't like this when it was released. After all the hype of Brian's return people got an album full of covers. Who wouldn't be dissappointed? But well I didn't live any of that, I had read all the bad comments about it and when I first time put it in my player I was expecting something really horrible. But I was bummed! I found it really fun record. Not bad at all! And I find it so ironic and funny that still today Brian often says this is his favorite album of all they ever made. Last time I remember him saying so was last year when The beach boys were answering twitter questions live. I love almost everything on this album, especially Brian's vocals!

Had to Phone Ya 5/5

Chapel of Love 3/5

Talk to Me 2/5

That Same Song 3.5/5

T M Song 3/5

Palisades Park 4/5

Susie Cincinnati 3/5

A Casual Look 3/5
Mediocre.

Blueberry Hill 3/5

Back Home 5/5!

Just Once in My Life 5/5

So for the whole thing 4/5. I usually dislike the idea to cover songs, or record cover songs. This album is one exception, I hadn't heard most of the original ones before I listened this album. I listened them after these versions. They are all mediocre stuff, nothing special about them. I dig these versions a lot more. BUT I  got to admit, they shouldn't have done an album like this, doing half new and half old ones. Should've been an album completely new ones and other with these covers.  And btw, I love the cover photo, the one with the circled pics. It's so cheesy that it's actually pretty genius!

Excellent review RiC!  (Because I agree with it!!)  Grin

The only differences, for me are...

Everyone's in Love with You -- You said "3.5/5."  But I afford it just one lousy, sympathy star.  It's easily the worst track on 15 Big Ones for me.  Not that it's the worst song ever, or anything... it just sticks out like a turd in the punch bowl.  Floating there, trying really hard to ruin a silly, fun party.  But I love your statement "I pretend that the Maharishi-thing never happened with this band when I listen to this."  LOL  What do you mean exactly?  That if you forget about the Maharishi-thing, the song presents itself different to you?  If so, I'm intrigued!

Blueberry Hill -- You only gave it 3/5.  This is one of the best covers and sort of a favorite on the album for me.  4.5 stars I say!  After the intro, the song really finds a euphoric groove, and rides it hard.  Rides it hard and dirty!

Back Home -- You scored this a perfect 5/5.  I don't know... this song, I have to force myself to get into.  And I do... but it just requires effort on my part.  It's not euphoric, but sort of a pedestrian little "rocker."  It's inoffensive, and I love the "gonna eat everything on the table!" sentiments.  But it's still forgettable flipside material.  3, 3.5 tops.  It's not weird enough.

I also want to make special mention of two tracks.  Like you, I don't get much out of Susie Cincinnati.  I don't hate it... but wouldn't miss it.

The other is Palisades Park.  Like you, I dig this cover.  Actually, I love it!  Just mentioning the title, I can hear that little carnival organ riff.   LOL  And someone's (Dennis?) half-a$$ed exclamation "Oh my gosh!" (or whatever he says) cracks me up!!

This track is a riot.  I want a whole Beach Boys Carnival album!!  Amusement Parks USA.  County Fair.  Palisades Park.  Parts of Heroes and Villains.  That's what I'm talking about!

Run, run, run.  The rides are runnin'!

The Beach Boys

Amusement Parks USA
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:18:11 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »

The only differences, for me are...

Everyone's in Love with You -- You said "3.5/5."  But I afford it just one lousy, sympathy star.  It's easily the worst track on 15 Big Ones for me.  Not that it's the worst song ever, or anything... it just sticks out like a turd in the punch bowl.  Floating there, trying really hard to ruin a silly, fun party.  But I love your statement "I pretend that the Maharishi-thing never happened with this band when I listen to this."  LOL  What do you mean exactly?  That if you forget about the Maharishi-thing, the song presents itself different to you?  If so, I'm intrigued!

Blueberry Hill -- You only gave it 3/5.  This is one of the best covers and sort of a favorite on the album for me.  4.5 stars I say!  After the intro, the song really finds a euphoric groove, and rides it hard.  Rides it hard and dirty!

Back Home -- You scored this a perfect 5/5.  I don't know... this song, I have to force myself to get into.  And I do... but it just requires effort on my part.  It's not euphoric, but sort of a pedestrian little "rocker."  It's inoffensive, and I love the "gonna eat everything on the table!" sentiments.  But it's still forgettable flipside material.  3, 3.5 tops.  It's not weird enough.

I also want to make special mention of two tracks.  Like you, I don't get much out of Susie Cincinnati.  I don't hate it... but wouldn't miss it.

The other is Palisades Park.  Like you, I dig this cover.  Actually, I love it!  Just mentioning the title, I can hear that little carnival organ riff.   LOL  And someone's (Dennis?) half-a$$ed exclamation "Oh my gosh!" (or whatever he says) cracks me up!!

Well today I'd propably rate some of these  songs a bit differently. But I still love every part of Back Home   Smokin

With that meditation stuff I mean that I thought that Everyone's In Love with You was a touching song, BEFORE I read that it's supposed to be about Maharishi and that kinda ruined it. If I just push that aside I can still enjoy the song. If I think about a hairy meditation guru while listening to it, it kinda destroys the whole thing... But don't get me wrong, I'm actually interested in him and Transcendental meditation. If I only was rich enough to study it I would...

Palisades park rules! The world needs more 15 Big One lovers  Cool Guy
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »

When this LP came out it was HUGE.. You had the Brian's back campaign.. Cover story in Rolling Stone.. A huge stadium tour with BW..  The biggest audiences in USA.. You had the TV special impact.. And if you lived in southern California you could go to the beach and later cruise over to Brother studio's.. Then maybe cruise by Brian's house in Bel Air.. You had an all day BB special on FM radio playin rare tracks.. Articles in all kind of magazines..The world was at our finger tips.. So what about LP.?.. WELL.. Out of 15 songs there are at least 4 total poop.. More if you are  more discriminating..  Production was muddy + vocals are rough.. Live they sounded still like BB.. But on this record not so much.. VERY confusing record.. Has BW lost it..? Does everyone have a sore throat..? When I first bought this I was so hungry for new BB I ate it up..  But it didnt take to long to realize disappointment in this record.. And it hurt momentum .. And Love You did more of the same..   To me thee are 5 stand out tracks.. 5 OK songs and 5 POOP..  It was a great time to be a BB fan.. But they fumbled the ball like Smiley Smile.. And it wouldn't be the last time either.. But I love The Beach Boys and I knew their would be more great stuff comin.. And it still does to this day... Cover art 4/5... Music 3/5
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:55:35 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »

IMO, this album is underrated by Smiley Smilers. I reckon it's great.

Rock and Roll Music
3.5/5 Sure, it could've been better but I still reckon it's a cool catchy tune.
It's OK
4.5/5 I agree with others when they say that It's OK should have been the first single. The perfect summer song. Denny's vocal is classic.
Had To Phone Ya
5/5 I love this song.
Chapel Of Love
3/5 The instrumentation is annoying, the lyrics are crap but Brian's falsetto is awesome!
Everyone's In Love With You
3.5/5 The lyrics are crap but the instrumentation and background vocals are great.
Talk To Me
4/5 Carl's great on this.
That Same Song
5/5 Brian sings very good on this. I really like this song.
TM Song
4/5 I love the intro to this. Nice charming little song.
Palisades Park
5/5 My favorite of the covers and maybe my favorite song of the album.
Susie Cincinnati
5/5 Awesome song. I prefer the mix on MIC though.
A Casual Look
4/5 Intro is great. Good song although Mike's voice sounds a bit nasal on this.
Blueberry Hill
3.5/5 A bit too old fashioned for my tastes. Still great though.
Back Home
5/5 Back-to-basics type song. I love the bass on this. This song rocks.
In the Still of the Night
5/5 Denny sounds great on this.
Just Once In My Life
5/5 The final verse is my favourite moment of the album.

Calculator says 4.3 so my rating is 4 stars. Haters gonna hate.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2014, 06:56:16 PM »

Rock and Roll Music
2/5 for Chuck Berry's original composition. This version stinks and doesn't rock at all.
It's OK
4/5 cheesy throwback, but it's catchy. Pretty much "Do It Again" of the 70s
Had To Phone Ya
5/5 Amazing arrangement, and just a perfect composition
Chapel Of Love
1/5
Everyone's In Love With You
1/5
Talk To Me
1/5
That Same Song
3/5
TM Song
2/5
Palisades Park
1/5
Susie Cincinnati
1/5
A Casual Look
1/5
Blueberry Hill
1/5
Back Home
4.5/5 Brian's gruff voice suits this perfectly... but he gets kind of out of hand in the tag
In the Still of the Night
1/5
Just Once In My Life
4.5/5

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »

Honestly one of the worst LPs of all time, imho. I give it a 1 for Had to Phone Ya and that's being generous.

The cover art is atrocious and an instant turn off. It exudes sleaze, half-assery, and cheapness. Qualities the music displays in spades. Brian looks so unhealthy and overweight that it's disgusting to look at. Why is Al facing the other direction? It looks so shoddy, like it was thrown together last minute. It also marks the birth of the logo which has always been detrimental to the band's image.

Most of the songs sound bland, uninspired and poor. TM Song really is a disgrace, even as a "joke" song. Again, it just exudes a feeling of poor quality. Some of you are excusing this as a pseudo-punk attitude. I honestly read it as Mike and Al carelessly wanting to push something out for the big bucks, Dennis and Carl were too weak to resist but actively knew the album was a f***-up the entire time they made it, and Brian didn't care enough about the band to worry about making a good album and/or wasn't ready to reclaim a producer's role yet.

And while I'm on the subject, trotting Brian out for the money when he was not healthy and out of practice has to be one of the most deplorable things the Boys have ever done. Stephen Love never should have been their manager, and I hope he sleeps well at night knowing he prodded the band to exploit a fragile man in a bad place for cash.

If any Beach Boys album exudes distasteful, bad vibes it's this one. It sank their last, best chance at a full comeback and rightfully so. If this was the best they could churn out they deserved to fail. I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion on here, but I think the band should have broken up after this stinker. Brian could explore his new creative instincts without the weight of the world on his shoulders. Dennis could have put his full attention into his solo efforts; he was the Wilson they ought to have looked to for public and critical praise. He was ready to produce and write music for the group and in hindsight they're fools to have passed him up. Carl could throw his talents behind his brothers and helped spur them both on to their full potential. Mike and Al could keep pimping out the hits on tour and writing formulaic music in that style on their own. Everybody probably would have been more successful, happy and better off for it all.

15 Big Ones is the death of the Beach Boys as far as I'm concerned.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx