gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681548 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 10:26:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are Brian's vocals actually Billy's? (Funky Pretty)  (Read 8042 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »

Well, if you're talking about the Steamboat snippet, it definitely COULD be Carl, but you seem to know it's him - I'm going to need a source for this. "My ears" is not a valid answer.  Smiley

How about "it sounds incredibly like the guy singing the lead vocal, especially the last few notes" ?  Grin It's not Brian for sure because he wasn't on that song at all.

Just to clarify things a bit, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing; I'm talking about the wordless harmony: "oooooooooh-aaaaaaaaah" (two different notes only). This could be either Marilyn or Carl in my opinion.

Obviously, the "roll, roll on, forever" and "river roll, forever" parts are 100% Carl.

[sigh]

I'm talking about the wordless vocal - the one that doesn't use any recognisable words, right ? - behind the vocal with words that is patently Carl.

It's not Marilyn for this reason: it's not a woman.

It's not Brian for these reasons: Brian's not on the recording at all... and it's very obviously Carl, at least to these ears that have been listening to Beach Boys recording for slightly over 35 years. It has that roundness and fullness that Carl had at that period in his life.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:54:20 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 01:01:49 AM »

It's not Brian for these reasons: Brian's not on the recording at all... and it's very obviously Carl, at least to these ears that have been listening to beach Boys recording for slightly over 35 years. It has that roundness and fullness that Carl had at that period in his life.

You're older than me, so you must be right. It seems I should have chosen my birth year more carefully.

By the way, that was totally not Bruce at the end of the GOK 2007 promo video.  Roll Eyes

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 01:35:06 AM »

It's not Brian for these reasons: Brian's not on the recording at all... and it's very obviously Carl, at least to these ears that have been listening to beach Boys recording for slightly over 35 years. It has that roundness and fullness that Carl had at that period in his life.

You're older than me, so you must be right. It seems I should have chosen my birth year more carefully.

By the way, that was totally not Bruce at the end of the GOK 2007 promo video.  Roll Eyes

I know. I asked him.  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 01:39:56 AM »

Wait...Brian's NOT on Steamboat?

LOL

Looks like I owe someone some money >_<

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 01:52:08 AM »

I was almost positive that he was on Steamboat. I can hear a very nasal voice(not Mike, I don't think) on the line "We'll get your steamboat going" that I thought was Brian.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 01:52:26 AM »

Wait...Brian's NOT on Steamboat?

LOL

Looks like I owe someone some money >_<

Trade it off with the "Sail On, Sailor" bet.  Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »

Oh, and as a small aside, when I downloaded a flac player, I also unwittingly downloaded some spyware called Relevant Knowledge which temporarily f*cked up my laptop and will cost me some time to delete completely from my registry.

Thanks, SloopJohnB, really appreciate it. From now on, any flac files are staying where they are.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 02:37:02 AM »

Oh, and as a small aside, when I downloaded a flac player, I also unwittingly downloaded some spyware called Relevant Knowledge which temporarily f*cked up my laptop and will cost me some time to delete completely from my registry.

Thanks, SloopJohnB, really appreciate it. From now on, any flac files are staying where they are.

I could be mistaken but I thought Curtis posted the flacs, and not Sloop JB...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »

I could be mistaken but I thought Curtis posted the flacs, and not Sloop JB...

You're not, I am, and my humble apologies to SJB. As you can understand, not in the sunniest of moods right now. I don't like going into the registry but it's theonly way.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 02:56:00 AM »

Trade it off with the "Sail On, Sailor" bet.

LOL

In all seriousness though, this is why I *never* mess around with flacs. The last time I did, making a long story short, my hard drive ended up wiped.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »

I don't know why you guys are having a hard time with .flac files. Download "VLC Player" and you'll have no problems. Norton Internet Security for screening viruses and you'll be happenin'. Use Windows 7 and you're dancing with the wolves. Never had any problems whatsoever with that combo.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 06:11:38 AM »

aaah...  n00bs...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »

I don't know why you guys are having a hard time with .flac files. Download "VLC Player" and you'll have no problems. Norton Internet Security for screening viruses and you'll be happenin'. Use Windows 7 and you're dancing with the wolves. Never had any problems whatsoever with that combo.

Dear boy, if I got to pet a dog and it bites my fingers off, you really think I'm going back and offer it the other hand ?  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

Windows 7...my computer is old and has a lot of issues...I still have XP on it and wouldn't even be able to run Vista.

monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 09:22:29 PM »

I agree with AGD, those wordless background vocals are definitely Carl. Because that's what Carl sounds like.

As for flacs, don't download some new software to play them, just find a plugin for your preferred listening software. It's not fair to blame someone for the particular software you downloaded. Flacs are just as valid as .wav, .mp3, or any other format. Even more so, since they are lossless.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »

Flacs are just as valid as .wav, .mp3, or any other format. Even more so, since they are lossless.

Uh, I'll take Flac files over Mp3's (even @320) any day of the week. And the reason I'm promoting VLC Player is that it plays pretty much everything under the Sun for me - both audio and video. No need to run around looking for add-on codecs - they're pretty much already self-contained. 

Vista's troublesome. Windows XP SP3 runs better than that piece o' crap. Windows 7 seems to be rock solid and runs very smooth for me so far; never had an issue with it yet.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »

Norton sucks. I would not recommend it. Download Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2010, 06:26:17 AM »

Norton sucks. I would not recommend it. Download Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

I like ESET.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2010, 06:27:54 AM »

...or you could just get a mac...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »

The Big Mac Attack!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »

You can't PAY me enough to get a Mac.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »

You can't PAY me enough to get a Mac.
What, do they work too well for you? Razz

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »

...and instantly lose all your self-respect  Grin

This isn't particularly related to this thread's topic, but there are a few decent free antiviruses around. Avira and Avast! (free editions) both come to mind. Add a couple of programs such as Spybot Search & Destroy and you don't need to pay to keep your computer safe enough.

Back on topic: this "Steamboat" part sounds more and more like Carl the more I listen to it. Marilyn had come to mind because she's done other "low" harmonies that sometimes sounded pretty close to this.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 06:37:29 AM »

Pretty sure the first 'On my way' is sped up, but the other two are not. Bri's voice does sound pretty bad here though, bad enough to have the group cover for him singing 'spend'. It's like he's wheezing his way through those two sentences, though he still has most of his old tone. Sound like his voice is really deteriorating at this point, which is the likely reason he felt uncomfortable with leads during these year

Exaggerate much? He sounds exactly like he does on "'Til I Die" or "Take A Load Off Your Feet". And why would the first "on my way" section be sped up but not the entire thing?

On that note, I will forever be pissed at this band for not having Brian sing what he sings in the beginning over every chorus. They just feel completely lacking without that lead part, so much so that I drove myself to insanity pasting it over those parts.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:40 AM »

Pretty sure the first 'On my way' is sped up, but the other two are not. Bri's voice does sound pretty bad here though, bad enough to have the group cover for him singing 'spend'. It's like he's wheezing his way through those two sentences, though he still has most of his old tone. Sound like his voice is really deteriorating at this point, which is the likely reason he felt uncomfortable with leads during these year

Exaggerate much? He sounds exactly like he does on "'Til I Die" or "Take A Load Off Your Feet". And why would the first "on my way" section be sped up but not the entire thing?

On that note, I will forever be pissed at this band for not having Brian sing what he sings in the beginning over every chorus. They just feel completely lacking without that lead part, so much so that I drove myself to insanity pasting it over those parts.
No, I'm really not exaggerating. He sounds like he can barely get the sentence out, and clearly muffs it enough for the other guys to have to sing 'send' to cover for him. Also, compared to the other "On my Way"s, the first one DOES sound sped up. Why would they do that for only the first one? My guess is that's all they had for the original recording, but when they decided to put it out on a single they remixed it and had Brian do a couple more 'On my Way's because they thought it was cool and he was willing. Maybe that day he had no trouble with the pitch, so it wasn't slowed, or maybe the entire song was sped up after his original vocals were put on, but he just sang it at that faster speed when it came time to overdub the later parts.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx