gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680715 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 01:57:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You still believe in me - two harpsichords?  (Read 1735 times)
thebaron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »

I hear two harpsichords in the stereo master backing track. It sounds like the 2nd one was an overdub at a later date, since it's not present in the session tapes that I've heard. They sound like different harpsichords too.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »

I have always believed this to be the case as well.  There are definitely two harpsichords, they're playing in different octaves at times and sounds like different stops as well.  The fact that you can't hear two on the tracking sessions and that the second one seems totally isolated on the backing track remix would suggest to me that it was an overdub, however Mark Linett has denied that this is the case without going into much detail about why the second harpsichord can't be heard on the basic tracking.
thebaron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »

A lot of the SoT stuff seems like they only playing back 3-tracks of a 4-track tape, so this could be the case here.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:39:37 AM »

I hear two harpsichords in the stereo master backing track. It sounds like the 2nd one was an overdub at a later date, since it's not present in the session tapes that I've heard. They sound like different harpsichords too.

Thanks for pointing that out...one of my favorite cuts from Pet Sounds...I will listen for that...but I would not know an "over-dub" from an "over-flub."

And, timelessly magnificent.  Cool
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »

A lot of the SoT stuff seems like they only playing back 3-tracks of a 4-track tape, so this could be the case here.

Well, the tracking basic sessions WERE only 3 tracks, most of the time.  It wouldn't be unprecedented, Pet Sounds (the track) was as close to assembly line tracking as it got, they put down one track at a time for that one.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »

So there are harpsichord (s) in addition to the plucked piano strings?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

So there are harpsichord (s) in addition to the plucked piano strings?

The piano strings are on the intro only, and were done at a separate session.  It's just the plucked strings on the intro.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx