gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:17:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Lord, no...  (Read 17843 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2010, 06:03:13 AM »

This would clearly be the most appropriate venue for "Hey Little Tomboy"!

There are no appropriate venues for "Hey Little Tomboy".

You're just too far gone. Anywhere it appears is a perfect venue for the song.
Brian still thinks of himself as a young man when he's writing. This song came out. So what if they're older, it still sounds good.  I like it.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/220649

John Stamos’ Beach Boys Movie to Be a ‘Celebration’‘It’s completely non-biographical,’ Stamos, who is producing, says. ‘The deal is to redo the songs with the actors singing, sort of in the way that they do on ‘Glee'

Patrick Doyle
Oct 14, 2010 7:00 PM EDT

“How do these younger generations, with the way radio is today, get turned on to great acts?,” John Stamos recently asked Rolling Stone. The actor has an answer for that:  He’ll be producing a movie musical centered around the music of the Beach Boys.

Stamos — who will share his production duties with Neil Meron and Craig Zadan, as he did on the 2000 TV miniseries The Beach Boys: An American Family — has a long history with the band. Members appeared on Stamos’ first sitcom, You Again?, and also, famously, on a 1988 episode of Full House. “People say that they know Mike [Love, Beach Boys singer] from Full House more than almost anything,” Stamos says. The actor also plays drums with Mike Love’s touring version of the band.

Stamos says the film will be set in Southern California in the Sixties, but the exact time period is still to be decided. “We're sort of circling around '67,” he says. “Vietnam was looming, which sort of gives way to the background of the story, and we wanted to be able to tap into all the music that came before that. Susannah Grant (

Erin Brockovich
) will write the screenplay. 

Stamos says he doesn’t want to repeat the American Family miniseries, which, as Rob Sheffield wrote in Rolling Stone in 2000, “presents Pet Sounds as a fiasco and Mike Love as the group’s real creative brain.”

“It was so personal and some of it upset certain people,” Stamos says. “That's the last thing I want to do to my heroes, you know? That's why I thought I would never do another Beach Boys project. But this one made so much sense. All it could do is really help [them].”

Stamos will leave out the Wilson family drama and focus on the harmonies. “It’s completely non-biographical,” he says. “You might have a girl singing ‘I Get Around.’ There won’t be a guy who’s a supporter, like a Brian character. The deal is to redo the songs with the actors singing, sort of in the way that they do on Glee. They kind of keep some of the same arrangements, but to have newer, younger people singing them.”   The film is one of many special events planned for the band’s 50th anniversary. In June, Al Jardine told Rolling Stone that the remaining members — himself, Love, Brian Wilson and Bruce Johnston and possibly early guitarist David Marks — will reunite for a concert. Stamos hopes to get the film out in time to celebrate the occasion. “It'd be nice to get it out on the tail end of the 50th, [although] I think they're going to sort of celebrate the 50th for two years.”

Stamos also has a solid model for how successful a project like this can be: The film version of the Abba musical

Mamma Mia!
 was Universal Pictures’ biggest earner of 2008, both domestically and internationally. “Everybody has been sort of trying to figure out how to redo

Mamma Mia!
and also appeal to a male audience,” he says. “It made a billion dollars, but that was the smaller demographic for [Abba]. With the Beach Boys, you’ve got girls in bikinis, you’ve got cars, so we expect to get a good male demo with this.”

Don’t expect the film to echo Broadway’s Good Vibrations, a jukebox musical that closed after two months. “I walked out halfway through,” Stamos says. “It’ll be nothing like that — I promise you. It’ll be the opposite of that. Trust me.”

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2010, 07:34:35 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/220649

John Stamos’ Beach Boys Movie to Be a ‘Celebration’‘It’s completely non-biographical,’ Stamos, who is producing, says. ‘The deal is to redo the songs with the actors singing, sort of in the way that they do on ‘Glee'

Patrick Doyle
Oct 14, 2010 7:00 PM EDT

“How do these younger generations, with the way radio is today, get turned on to great acts?,” John Stamos recently asked Rolling Stone. The actor has an answer for that:  He’ll be producing a movie musical centered around the music of the Beach Boys.

....Don’t expect the film to echo Broadway’s Good Vibrations, a jukebox musical that closed after two months. “I walked out halfway through,” Stamos says. “It’ll be nothing like that — I promise you. It’ll be the opposite of that. Trust me.”

Did anyone here SEE the Broadway show? or the earlier off-Broadway show " Surf City  The BBs Musical" ? 
I've seen the playbills for both, and neither has a synopsis of story lines.  For that matter WAS there a story for either one? 

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »

This would clearly be the most appropriate venue for "Hey Little Tomboy"!

There are no appropriate venues for "Hey Little Tomboy".

You're just too far gone. Anywhere it appears is a perfect venue for the song.
Brian still thinks of himself as a young man when he's writing. This song came out. So what if they're older, it still sounds good.  I like it.

This is wise, and I mean it. Brian is the opposite of Bob Dylan in this respect. Dylan reflects and ruminates and contemplates on the value of life, the meaning of it, from the vantage point of an elderly man, sometimes joking, sometimes as a sage. Brian is totally different. He indeed thinks and feels like a young guy when he writes. I would say that, given his life story, he's unable to write from the viewpoint of your average artist nearing his 8th decade on the planet. But he's not 'less' for that, mind. Someone who completes SMiLE and gives us BWRG is completely his own man.

Oh, and TLOS and Love And Theft are both great reflective albums, albeit totally different ones.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »

Oh, and TLOS and Love And Theft are both great reflective albums, albeit totally different ones.

+1

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
KaylaMusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2010, 12:12:56 AM »

I want to be in this movie! I don't care how crappy, it would be so much fun LOL
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2010, 12:43:38 AM »

This can be looked at from diffrent angles, obviously.

BUT

A. Anyone who like the Beach Boys has something in common with me.
B. If this movie gets even close to all the attention that Mama Mia has, we're looking at a big wave of Beach Boys attention around us.
C. Mama Mia and other musicals are commonly "chic flix". The greatness of The Beach Boys is mostly known by men.
E. When the movie peaks at #1 and every girl goes around humming on different Beach Boys songs... yummie Smiley

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »

Haha, I know. I hate that song too, don't worry. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about the song and it is a travesty that something like that can get released while leaving so much good things in the vaults...

Hey, it's not that bad! It has its hooks, albeit the cheese factor manages to be higher than your average Bruce Johnson cut. But the original had a good melody, it was decent. Besides, the lyrics can't be as bad as "LOOOVVVVVEEEE, IS A WOOMMAAANNN" or "AND WE'LL MAKE SWEET LOVE WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN, WE'LL EVEN DO MORE WHEN HER MOMMA'S NOT AROUND!"
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »

No, it is a bad song. There is nothing redeeming about it: the lyrics are awfully heteronormative -- far more so than the average Beach Boys song, to the point where I can't easily ignore it or brush it off as youthful ignorance, and are actively offensive -- and just plain terrible; the music is entirely forgettable. The lyrics are far worse than "Love Is A Woman" or "Roller Skating Child"... although "Love Is A Woman" is a horrible song! There is nothing redeeming about any version of "Hey Little Tomboy" whatsoever.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »

No, it is a bad song. There is nothing redeeming about it: the lyrics are awfully heteronormative -- far more so than the average Beach Boys song, to the point where I can't easily ignore it or brush it off as youthful ignorance, and are actively offensive -- and just plain terrible; the music is entirely forgettable. The lyrics are far worse than "Love Is A Woman" or "Roller Skating Child"... although "Love Is A Woman" is a horrible song! There is nothing redeeming about any version of "Hey Little Tomboy" whatsoever.
Yeah, well don't listen. 
I like it.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »

And I don't. The problem, however, is that people inexplicably continue to think it's a song that is not terrible in every conceivable way. I must not be enough of a fan, I guess!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

And I don't. The problem, however, is that people inexplicably continue to think it's a song that is not terrible in every conceivable way. I must not be enough of a fan, I guess!
You're absolutely correct-that song is a complete turkey by all accounts-it should have self-combusted in some wasteland on another planet.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

The same reason people don't hate "Don't Go Near the Water" - A decent melody and hooks. Probably the same reason why people don't completely hate MIU and 15 Big Ones

Darn those fans for liking what I don't like!  Kiss
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »

You're absolutely correct-that song is a complete turkey by all accounts-it should have self-combusted in some wasteland on another planet.
You're both wrong. It's a great song. Those People continue thinking it's not terrible, because it's not; while still other people, especially old surfer dudes, should be combusted in a wasteland on any planet( who cares as long as they're combusted) so that real music lovers don't have to be dragged down by their constant jabbering on how bad things are.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »

So that real music lovers don't have to be dragged down by their constant jabbering on how bad things are.

Like you're Mr. Positive around here, eh Bgas?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »

"Hey Little Tomboy" is a good song. It cooks with the harmonies from the Adult Child version. The limp production of the MIU version is what makes it sound bad. The chord changes are very catchy, as are the melodies. It's a reaction to fans that wanted to hear the BBs play songs like "Be True To Your School" in concerts at the time. It's just as ridiculous to want drug-addled dudes in their 30s with beards to sing songs like that.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »

You're both wrong. It's a great song. Those People continue thinking it's not terrible, because it's not; while still other people, especially old surfer dudes, should be combusted in a wasteland on any planet( who cares as long as they're combusted) so that real music lovers don't have to be dragged down by their constant jabbering on how bad things are.
Holy sh#t!! I wouldn't have posted that reply if I had known how clever buttgass could be! I won't mess with a 12 year old ever again-damn...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »

So that real music lovers don't have to be dragged down by their constant jabbering on how bad things are.

Like you're Mr. Positive around here, eh Bgas?

you've got to accentuate the positive....

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »

This can be looked at from diffrent angles, obviously.

BUT

A. Anyone who like the Beach Boys has something in common with me.
B. If this movie gets even close to all the attention that Mama Mia has, we're looking at a big wave of Beach Boys attention around us.
C. Mama Mia and other musicals are commonly "chic flix". The greatness of The Beach Boys is mostly known by men.
E. When the movie peaks at #1 and every girl goes around humming on different Beach Boys songs... yummie Smiley

#C is a truly unfounded statement...and you get yourself in a heap of trouble to suggest that any art form is less well understood or "known" by women.  I "get" the greatness and didn't need to either be a man nor have a doctorate.

And that (Mamma Mia) is a great movie...the key is to have a story line and script which can mesh with the music.   Those actors "put it all out there" most were - fifty and sixty somethings and made it happen!     
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx