gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:08:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Lord, no...  (Read 17944 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »

how could it not be a romantic movie anyway.  will an ex be named caroline? yes?

and i didn't mind across the universe.  i enjoyed it for what it was.  but it's fun to see that they're still a viable name.  apparently there was a big bidding war for this one.  eventually a 7 digit deal won out. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:20:57 PM by Runaways » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06:49 PM »

Across the Universe, although not entirely successful was made with a spiritual and arty intent. Mama mia had James Bond singing ABBA.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »

Across the Universe was pretty good, IMO. The song interpretaions were incredible but the melodrama was formulaic. If the musical content comes anywhere near that, it will be a treat. I don't see this being nearly as ambitious artistically. Haven't heard about the Footloose remake, but the Hairspray remake was a slick, polished product, pretty decent. Stamos' involvement does not bode very well.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »

Gonna need to see this movie. I've been looking for a new thing to j/o onto while puking.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Jason
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »

The Hairspray connection brings a thought to mind...he's not known for his dramatic films, but imagine John Waters writing and directing this film. Since John Cassavetes and Vilgot Sjöman are both gone (and in my opinion the two of them alone would have had the true credentials required to bring any form of the Beach Boys' saga, biopic or otherwise, to a multiplex, I'd have to go with John Waters as the best idea to direct. Doubtful, though.

But wouldn't it be nice?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 01:27:42 AM »

The hits will be done in a 10 minute medley, at the end. The preceding two hours will center around Summer In Paradise. The storyline: one Charlie Manson, a handsome and witty young Californian, goes diving. He meets octopus Paul. Paul gives off signs with his tentacles. Manson is an expert in marine biology. He reads the signs: he has to make a personal conversion to being a serial killer. Manson ends diving career and academic studies. He buys a lot of knives and the White Album. Curiously, his new identity attracts a whole group of lewd girls.

The Manson troupe then meets a talented musician, one D. Wilson. They make music together. Wilson gets all sexually transmittable diseases under the sun and the moon. Even his beard has many different life forms in it. Meanwhile, Manson, a movie buff, gets enormously jealous at director Roman Polanski, because he's the director Manson always secretly wanted to be.

However, since all movies have very forced good endings (esp. when a musical is on the horizon too), death and destruction is averted by the advent of a brilliant psychologist, dr. E. Landy. Landy provides all involved with endless quantities of heavy drugs. Manson writes music and lyrics for the masterpiece that the band of D. Wilson will be known for the whole wide world over: Kokomo.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 02:00:56 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »

The hits will be done in a 10 minute medley, at the end. The preceding two hours will center around Summer In Paradise. The storyline: one Charlie Manson, a handsome and witty young Californian, goes diving. He meets octopus Paul. Paul gives off signs with his tentacles. Manson is an expert in marine biology. He reads the signs: he has to make a personal conversion to being a serial killer. Manson ends diving career and academic studies. He buys a lot of knives and the White Album. Curiously, his new identity attracts a whole group of lewd girls.

The Manson troupe then meets a talented musician, one D. Wilson. They make music together. Wilson gets all sexually transmittable diseases under the sun and the moon. Even his beard has many different life forms in it. Meanwhile, Manson, a movie buff, gets enormously jealous at director Roman Polanski, because he's the director Manson always secretly wanted to be.

However, since all movies have very forced good endings (esp. when a musical is on the horizon too), death and destruction is averted by the advent of a brilliant psychologist, dr. E. Landy. Landy provides all involved with endless quantities of heavy drugs. Manson writes music and lyrics for the masterpiece that the band of D. Wilson will be known the whole wide world over: Kokomo.

Jesus Christ. You are the best poster.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 01:43:32 AM »

Some of us, self included, might be looking at this too negatively. Chances are that if, as some are predicting, this is a hit chick-flick type thing, demand for the old hits will soar and we'll be treated to a compilation CD release of those great hits. That's something my collection is seriously short of - a compilation of Beach Boys Hits. I'm trying, but I can't think of any having been released for many years. Oh, and maybe another reissue of Live At Knebworth, CD or DVD, cos you can't have too many of those, right?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beach-Boys-Live-Knebworth-DVD/dp/B00008CR1H/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008108&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-Knebworth-Beach-Boys/dp/B000MGBRM2/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008135&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Timin-Live-Knebworth-England/dp/B00005NTL9/ref=sr_1_4?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008154&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beach-Boys-Knebworth-Vibrations-Endless/dp/B000GDIADU/ref=sr_1_6?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008175&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-Knebworth-Beach-Boys/dp/B000FMFZCQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008194&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beach-Boys-Live-Knebworth-1980/dp/B0002OVPR6/ref=sr_1_10?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008211&sr=8-10

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-Knebworth-Beach-Boys/dp/B001BJAVW6/ref=sr_1_11?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008247&sr=8-11

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fun-White-Collect-Beach-Boys/dp/B00318EDG0/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008317&sr=1-14

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orange-Collection-Beach-Boys/dp/B001HMJOY8/ref=sr_1_42?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008672&sr=1-42

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hits-Live-at-Knebwor/dp/B000FZEQPK/ref=sr_1_153?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1286008904&sr=1-153

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-at-Knebworth-Beach-Boys/dp/B000FMFZCQ/ref=sr_1_156?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1286009035&sr=1-156
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:45:21 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 02:04:33 AM »

I'm hoping for the story to be centered around "Hey Little Tomboy".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 02:20:16 AM »

LOL can I add: I Want To Pick You Up?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 02:47:56 AM »

...and the opening sequence is going to show the main character cruising on a nice summer day singing "Lazy Lizzie" to himself.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 02:55:52 AM »

...and the opening sequence is going to show the main character cruising on a nice summer day singing "Lazy Lizzie" to himself.

That settles it. I think we should make a competing movie. Could be done on a shoestring budget. Who will play the 'main character'?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:25 AM »

That settles it. I think we should make a competing movie. Could be done on a shoestring budget. Who will play the 'main character'?

Don't leave out All Dresed Up for School...

“We live in divisive times.”
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 04:34:41 AM »

If they can match this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYb2AOqBpk

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »

the diffrence between the letter O and the number 0 ? Let me try again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TYb2A0qBpk

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 04:56:18 AM »

I saw a theater show build around the Beach Boys' music a few months ago. They included several lesser known songs such as 'Surf's Up', 'Til I Die', 'Vegetables', 'Don't Talk', 'Long Promised Road' and that actually made it pretty cool. Would be nice if they'd do that in the movie too.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 06:23:13 AM »

that reminds me, is there a bossanova beach boys record? because if not, there should be.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »

However, since all movies have very forced good endings (esp. when a musical is on the horizon too), death and destruction is averted by the advent of a brilliant psychologist, dr. E. Landy. Landy provides all involved with endless quantities of heavy drugs. Manson writes music and lyrics for the masterpiece that the band of D. Wilson will be known for the whole wide world over: Kokomo.

Bravo Don! Not only does your idea for the movie sound infinitely more entertaining than what the finishing product will most likely be, but even in jest your take on the whole Manson saga is more plausible than some of the crackpot theories Bugliosi put forward.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 08:03:21 AM »

I wish Rob Zombie would make a horror flick about Manson titled 'TIL I DIE based on more obscure BB tracks.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »

Hey, I'm lookin' forward to it.  Could be a very enjoyable film with some great music.  Could be so-so.  Could be a bust.  But, even if it's a bust, doubtful it could be any worse than some of the worst stuff the BBs, both as a band and individually (well, some of them individually!), have put out.

I'm with you.  Remember that one they did a few years ago called "Across The Universe" that basically used a lot of Beatles songs?  It's an interesting idea.  Why not? 

I never understood (rant mode) why people let other people's opinion of their cherished bands or whatever, bother them.  I couldn't give a damn less if nobody alive liked the Beach Boys, or if everybody thought they were rediculous, or whatever.  I still like them.  If this move comes out and is the worst move ever, I will still like the Beach Boys just as much. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »

Across the Universe was a shitty movie whether you like the Beatles or not. It was a pastiche of Beatles songs and nothing more -- the plot was irrelevant, any acting was not even a secondary thought, the characters were ciphers, and so on -- meant to prey on people's nostalgia of the Beatles. Of course, it was phenomenally successful at doing this, but that doesn't make it a good movie. It makes it a good piece of drippy, nostalgic sentimentality -- and one that, of course, similarly tweaks the historical context of the times to fit the nostalgia accordingly.

As much as I like The Beach Boys' music, if the film ends up being like Across The Universe it will be no more worthwhile than that sad excuse for a movie.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »

Hey, I'm lookin' forward to it.  Could be a very enjoyable film with some great music.  Could be so-so.  Could be a bust.  But, even if it's a bust, doubtful it could be any worse than some of the worst stuff the BBs, both as a band and individually (well, some of them individually!), have put out.

I'm with you.  Remember that one they did a few years ago called "Across The Universe" that basically used a lot of Beatles songs?  It's an interesting idea.  Why not? 

I never understood (rant mode) why people let other people's opinion of their cherished bands or whatever, bother them.  I couldn't give a damn less if nobody alive liked the Beach Boys, or if everybody thought they were rediculous, or whatever.  I still like them.  If this move comes out and is the worst move ever, I will still like the Beach Boys just as much.

It's because people like to argue. Whether it's people saying "the Beatles are better" or it's the person saying "it is stupid to fight over these trivial matters" or people like me who have to respond to posts like yours just for the sake of arguing - we all think our opinion matters. It's life.

And the only two things, thus far, that tick me off about this project is that there will be corny upbeat singing ruining every Beach Boys song I love (because let's face it, no matter how pissed I am at the idea of this movie, I will still watch the movie because it has my favorite band featured in it) and there will most likely be some cheesy love story as the basis of the plot.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »

Film Title: Never Learn Not to Love

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 11:56:52 AM »

My idea for the movie would be there's this geeky kid at high school. He's in love with a girl there but she barely notices him. He also gets picked on by the jocks as all geeks in these movies do. Before going to sleep one night he prays that his luck will change. His prayers are answered when he is visited in the night by none other than Mike Love who teaches him how to chicken dance, levitate, meditate, slap around women caught smoking and generally become hip and cool enough to win the heart of the girl he loves and give the jocks their comeuppance. There should also be a sub plot involving dastardly property dealers who are going to demolish the local rec centere unless the money can be raised to save it. The kid and Mike could go on a mission to track down the remaining Beach Boys and convince them/threaten them with legal action to reform the band for a benefit concert in aid of saving the rec centre. Also while I'm ripping off The Blues Brothers, can we have one of Mike's ex wives throughout the film trying to kill him unsuccessfully in ever increasingly outlandish ways? Yes I think we can. The movie can reach it's devastating climax by having Charles Manson breakout of prison and attempt to kill the band at the concert as revenge for unpaid royalties on "Never Learn Not to Love". However Charlie will be foiled by John Stamos when he accidentally runs him over in the parking lot while backing up his van. I definitely think J's suggestion for John Waters to direct is a good one, especially if he can force Mike to reenact the ending of "Pink Flamingo" for everyone's amusment. If any Hollywood bigwigs are reading this, I'm open to offers to write the script.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:44:19 PM by mikes beard » Logged

The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 12:41:21 PM »

Film Title: Never Learn Not to Love

I think a better title would be Never Learn Not To (Mike) Love

A broken man too tough to cry
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx