gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:40:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Lord, no...  (Read 17908 times)
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »

My idea for the movie would be there's this geeky kid at high school. He's in love with a girl there but she barely notices him. He also gets picked on by the jocks as all geeks in these movie do. Before going to sleep one night he prays that his luck will change. His prayers are answered when he is visited in the night by none other than Mike Love who teaches him how to chicken dance, levitate, meditate, slap around women caught smoking and generally become hip and cool enough to win the heart of the girl he loves and give the jocks their comeuppance. There should also be a sub plot involving dastardly property dealers who are going to demolish the local rec centere unless the money can be raised to save it. The kid and Mike could go on a mission to track down the remaining Beach Boys and convince them/threaten them with legal action to reform the band for a benefit concert in aid of saving the rec centre. Also while I'm ripping off The Blues Brothers, can we have one of Mike's ex wives throughout the film trying to kill him unsuccessfully in ever increasingly outlandish ways? Yes I think we can. The movie can reach it's devastating climax by having Charles Manson breakout of prison and attempt to kill the band at the concert as revenge for unpaid royalties on "Never Learn Not to Love". However Charlie will be foiled by John Stamos when he accidentally runs him over in the parking lot while backing up his van. I definitely think J's suggestion for John Waters to direct is a good one, especially if he can force Mike to reenact the ending of Pink Flamingo for everyone's amusment. If any Hollywood bigwigs are reading this, I'm open to offers to write the script.

you forgot to mention that the kid picks up on mike's incredibly hip style of dress

A broken man too tough to cry
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »

I honestly do not want this to happen

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »

The hits will be done in a 10 minute medley, at the end. The preceding two hours will center around Summer In Paradise. The storyline: one Charlie Manson, a handsome and witty young Californian, goes diving. He meets octopus Paul. Paul gives off signs with his tentacles. Manson is an expert in marine biology. He reads the signs: he has to make a personal conversion to being a serial killer. Manson ends diving career and academic studies. He buys a lot of knives and the White Album. Curiously, his new identity attracts a whole group of lewd girls.

The Manson troupe then meets a talented musician, one D. Wilson. They make music together. Wilson gets all sexually transmittable diseases under the sun and the moon. Even his beard has many different life forms in it. Meanwhile, Manson, a movie buff, gets enormously jealous at director Roman Polanski, because he's the director Manson always secretly wanted to be.

However, since all movies have very forced good endings (esp. when a musical is on the horizon too), death and destruction is averted by the advent of a brilliant psychologist, dr. E. Landy. Landy provides all involved with endless quantities of heavy drugs. Manson writes music and lyrics for the masterpiece that the band of D. Wilson will be known for the whole wide world over: Kokomo.

Stamos as Manson.  I think you've got a smash hit on your hands. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 08:39:13 PM »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/143544-Zadan-Meron-and-Stamos-to-Produce-Beach-Boys-Movie-Musical

The film, which will utilize Beach Boys hits for its soundtrack, will be set in Southern California in the 1960's.

Hasn't this type of movie been done before, in like....the 60s?

I can see the update now. 'Wendy' and 'Rhonda' want to be the 'Surfer Girl' of the same guy. Gidget, Grease, Mamma Mia, Frankie and Annette all rolled into one. My wife will love it!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

I'm refraining from judgment until I actually see the thing (if it ever comes to pass, that is).  As others have said, could be good, could be horrible.  If it has the effect of bringing Beach Boys music to a wider audience, ultimately that isn't so terrible a thing.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »

Yeah, because their 1963-66 stuff is not at all known to a wide audience. Roll Eyes
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 11:11:58 PM »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/143544-Zadan-Meron-and-Stamos-to-Produce-Beach-Boys-Movie-Musical

The film, which will utilize Beach Boys hits for its soundtrack, will be set in Southern California in the 1960's.

Hasn't this type of movie been done before, in like....the 60s?

I can see the update now. 'Wendy' and 'Rhonda' want to be the 'Surfer Girl' of the same guy. Gidget, Grease, Mamma Mia, Frankie and Annette all rolled into one. My wife will love it!

As a modern twist, the movie could end with both Wendy and Rhonda deciding they prefer Barbara Ann. Now we may be onto something I would pay to see!!!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yeah baby!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 05:48:04 AM »

Hmmm... a music-based movie that's not the story of the BBs. Here's a couple more plot ideas:

What about a disc jockey on Armed Forces Radio Service (AFRS), who proves hugely popular with the troops serving in South Vietnam, but infuriates his superiors with what they call his "irreverent tendency." Plays lots of the Beach Boys' music...

Or what about a coming-of-age movie:  August, 1962 – high school graduate Curt goes to the local hop, where he sees a beautiful blonde in a white 1956 Ford Thunderbird. She mouths "I love you" before disappearing and Curt spends the rest of the film searching for her. He hands DJ Wolfman Jack a message asking for the blonde to call. The next morning, Curt is awakened a phone ringing – the blonde says she might see him cruising tonight, but Curt replies that is not possible, because he will be leaving for college. As his place takes off Curt gazes out of the window and sees the blonde's T-bird heading out of town in the same direction as his plane.  Lots of Beach Boys' music plays in the background throughout.

“We live in divisive times.”
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2010, 07:26:58 AM »

This, in conjunction with what will undoubtedly be a well-planned and catalogue-spanning reunion, will at last dispel the notion that the band is dated, tacky and irrelevant.

A new era of fandom is nigh.

Slick covers of their early hits, replete with extra-syrupy sweet vocals and new arrangements, dancing guys and gals with melodrama oozing from every pore on their faces, FUN! glinting off their pearly whites...

I for one will be returning to the closet.  Time to go into hiding again.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2010, 07:31:53 AM »

Hmmm... a music-based movie that's not the story of the BBs. Here's a couple more plot ideas:

What about a disc jockey on Armed Forces Radio Service (AFRS), who proves hugely popular with the troops serving in South Vietnam, but infuriates his superiors with what they call his "irreverent tendency." Plays lots of the Beach Boys' music...

Or what about a coming-of-age movie:  August, 1962 – high school graduate Curt goes to the local hop, where he sees a beautiful blonde in a white 1956 Ford Thunderbird. She mouths "I love you" before disappearing and Curt spends the rest of the film searching for her. He hands DJ Wolfman Jack a message asking for the blonde to call. The next morning, Curt is awakened a phone ringing – the blonde says she might see him cruising tonight, but Curt replies that is not possible, because he will be leaving for college. As his place takes off Curt gazes out of the window and sees the blonde's T-bird heading out of town in the same direction as his plane.  Lots of Beach Boys' music plays in the background throughout.

nah man. this is a MUSICAL.  and you're over thinking it.  it's gonna be a romance set in the 60's in southern california. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »

nah man. this is a MUSICAL.  and you're over thinking it.  it's gonna be a romance set in the 60's in southern california. 

I'd like to play the role of Terry The Toad.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 07:35:13 AM »

Sorry, RaWs, they're crude synopses for Good Morning Vietnam and American Grafitti, which both had Beach Boys-heavy soundtracks....

Which to my mind shows that a movie can use BBs music tastefully and needn't be a musical chick flick. Man, I HATE musicals! They're up there with Cheddar, Camembert and Wensleydale.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2010, 07:44:28 AM »

Man, I HATE musicals! They're up there with Cheddar, Camembert and Wensleydale.
Hey, none of those cheeses can be as bad as Limburger. If it's as cheesy as Limburger, it'll be a total flop!

What about the Beatles' "Love" musical? If this new Beach Boys thing is as good as "Love", which is still showing in Vegas, it'll be pretty successful.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 07:52:51 AM »

Regardless of whether or not this is a success it will mean the same thing to me:  a new reason never to tell people that I love the Beach Boys.

The new conversation touchstone won't be:  "That catalogue-spanning, well-thought reunion show was incredible!" or "Loved the SMiLE boxset!" it'll be "Oh, that Fox made-for-TV movie!".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »

Man, I HATE musicals! They're up there with Cheddar, Camembert and Wensleydale.
Hey, none of those cheeses can be as bad as Limburger. If it's as cheesy as Limburger, it'll be a total flop!

What about the Beatles' "Love" musical? If this new Beach Boys thing is as good as "Love", which is still showing in Vegas, it'll be pretty successful.

I may be wrong but I think that "Love" is a Circe De Sole show, not a musical where the performers sing the songs.

I'm pretty sure this will be a musical in the style of Glee where they take classics and turn them into high school musical material.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:15:20 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

I found a picture of the film in production:

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »

I may be wrong but I think that "Love" is a Circe De Sole show, not a musical where the performers sing the songs.

Oh yeah, yer right. The performers don't sing the songs in "Love" - it's just the original Beatles music piped in.

Sorry to take up thread space.......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »

I feel a caption competition coming on.

"Expert offers feedback on Santa Goes to Kokomo"…

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »

I feel a caption competition coming on.

"Expert offers feedback on Santa Goes to Kokomo"…
Nice!

"John Stamos pays tribute to Dennis Wilson's 'Forever'"
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »

Aw, c'mon!  Think positive!  If it's anything like "Across the Universe" there may be hope.  It was ok.  My girls seemed to like it.  They also liked "Mama Mia", which I wasn't crazy about only because I'm not a fan of ABBA.

Smile!  Be happy! 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »

Mike Love says "Yum, yum, look what's on the menu for lunch today".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »

New Capitol Beach Boy Compilation Hits The Streets.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 03:46:38 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »

Aw, c'mon!  Think positive!  If it's anything like "Across the Universe" there may be hope.  It was ok.  My girls seemed to like it.  They also liked "Mama Mia", which I wasn't crazy about only because I'm not a fan of ABBA.

Smile!  Be happy! 

But how can I smile when I know they are just going to ignore SMiLE (except for Good Vibrations) and just focus on the hits?

A broken man too tough to cry
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2010, 04:31:29 PM »

Yeah, because their 1963-66 stuff is not at all known to a wide audience. Roll Eyes

Yes, but let's face it - the majority of that audience is middle-aged and older.  If they could somehow make a film that would appeal to the "Gaga generation," it would be relatively new music to them, aside from a faint familiarity.

That being said, I would also hope that aside from the well-known "hits," the film would use some lesser-known material from that era and perhaps even into the early 70's.  I don't think this will be the case sadly, but it's a remote possibility at the very least.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »

Tootsie Rolls chase invalid dog along street …

(sorry, it's late, I should be in bed but I'm working....)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:58:09 PM by Wee Helper » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx