gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:19:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Surf's Up mmmmmmm board a tidal wave" query.  (Read 7391 times)
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »

A bit of a side bar, but I just love that on the back cover of the Surfin' USA album it says "Surf's Up!"
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »

(the colonnaded ruins will fall)
That's "columnated" ruins... police

Yeah, well the official lyrics to "Cabin Essence" are "Find a meadow filled with rain there...", but that's not the way the lyric is sung, is it? I completely agree that "columnated"* looks a lot cooler on the printed page (or the computer screen) than "colonnaded", but I'm convinced the latter is what Brian sings on BWPS...and I suspect Carl sang it this way on the '71 version as well.

Now don't get me started on "I'm in the great shape of the agri-culture"! Wink

*I also understand that this is a real word with roughly the same meaning as "colonnaded".

Despite the conflicting evidence, I tend to believe the proper lyric is "columnated," for two reasons.  First, it's clearly what Brian sang on both '66 versions, both of which I give more credence to than the '71 version or the BWPS version (sung by a Brian who doesn't enunciate too well anymore).  Second, in the Beautiful Dreamer doc, Van Dyke clearly says "columnated" when talking about the song, and he's the guy who wrote the actual words.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 12:06:20 AM »

Title wave? Actually that misspelling creates another meaning. Now the wave can be imagined as a wave of titles, the names of authority we once held dear washing ashore.

As for the 'mmmhhhhmmmm' part, the only thing I could imagine replacing it is a quick vocal round that echoes the phrase "surf's up". There's no way you could cram new lyrics in there and have it flow.

Surf's up, Mike Love is scared to surf, aboard a tidal wave

Wow. Just logged this. Hope you never wanted to meet the Boys.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »

Regarding the discussion as to the word in Surfs Up before "ruins," I have a handwritten calligraphed set of the Surfs Up lyrics in Van Dyke`s own hand. The correct word is "columnated."

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 01:34:17 PM »

Regarding the discussion as to the word in Surfs Up before "ruins," I have a handwritten calligraphed set of the Surfs Up lyrics in Van Dyke`s own hand. The correct word is "columnated."

Replace every single thread (and each individual post) on this topic with this reply because it owns so much. Cool
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 01:50:03 PM »

Shocked
AWESOME!  Grin

How fancy is his handwriting?
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »

It is a beautiful form of writing that is similar or identical to calligraphy. A second piece was auctioned in Germany for charity that was the other one he did.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »

Thanks Peter, I'd say that puts the issue to bed once and for all.

As for the original topic, I used to wonder about this as well.  When I played this song for a songwriter friend of mine, he immediately said something to the effect of "he didn't know what to put there."  And if we were talking about a lesser lyricist, I might be inclined to agree, but if find it quite implausible that Van Dyke Parks, in 1966, wrote all of these amazing lyrics, yet couldn't find a few words for that particular section.  It just doesn't add up. 

My thought has always been that he wanted to give some separation to the words "surf's up" (it is the title, after all).  The "mmmmmmm" serves to allow the words "surf's up" to linger for another second, just to let them sink in.  Knowing what we know about Van Dyke, I have to believe that the phrasing there was an accident.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »

I didn't know the word "columnated" in "Surf's Up" was ever in question. I've only heard (and seen) that word in the song for about the last 38 years.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »

I didn't know the word "columnated" in "Surf's Up" was ever in question. I've only heard (and seen) that word in the song for about the last 38 years.
Having listened to the 1971 recording far more times than any sane person would do, I have concluded that Carl is saying colonnated.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »

i always thought columnated.  then again the 71 wasn't the first version i heard.
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »

I've listened repeatedly to Brian's version, the '71 version, the '71 version sans backing track, and that interview with Van Dyke parks outside of tower records where he's wearing a tank top and a straw hat - and I have never heard anything but "columnated".

I have also stood for hours on end in front of rather large amplifiers on full blast, so you can take the above with as many grains of salt as you see fit.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »

The one that made me laugh above: "Tidal" and "title".  Don't know if that was intentional or a misspelling.  Grin

Uh, that would be me!  Don't know what I was thinking, but when I saw it, I was too lazy to go back and edit it!  LOL
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »

That's what I used to think as well...until I read that "colonnaded" was the somewhat more grammatically-correct term for what Parks was getting at. Listening to the recordings again with headphones convinced me that "colonnaded" was, indeed, what was being sung on the '66 track by Brian, the '71 track by Carl and on BWPS. I just don't hear an "m" sound on any of these recordings (although I can almost make out an "m" sound the first time Brian sings the word during the '66 track; this is not the case with the second time he sings the word).

Now, having said that, I'm not disputing that Parks initially wrote the word as "columnated" and believes that to be the correct lyric (obviously it is printed as such in the lyric sheets for both the SURF'S UP album and BWPS). But is it possible that during vocal tryouts, someone mentioned that "colonnaded" was the more conventional term and Brian and/or Carl thought about it and responded with "hmm, well that is easier to sing..."? I know it sounds far-fetched, but that's what I'm hearing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx