gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Beefheart thread?  (Read 16607 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:32:39 PM »

That way I can fill it with my own ramblins, as I assume not a lot of BB/BW fans much care for the good Cap'n's howling, screeching, screaming and bellowing.

As for me, I LOVE him. Every single album (less the two that shall go unnamed) is somewhere between good and brilliant. What wordplay. What blues. What...Beefheartedness.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:34:14 PM »

howling, screeching, screaming and bellowing.

One word. Suicide.

As for me, I LOVE him. Every single album (less the two that shall go unnamed) is somewhere between good and brilliant. What wordplay. What blues. What...Beefheartedness.

I respect the living hell out of Beefheart. An experimentalist on par with Zappa (and that's saying something). Excellent performer.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:36:39 PM »

The two??
Do you mean BLUEJEANS AND MOONBEAMS and UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEED???!!!

Yeah, they're his worst, but not nearly as bad as their reputation.

Strictly Personal is a really underrated one, and Doc At The Radar Station is too. The Spotlight Kid, Trout Mask and Safe As Milk are probably my favorites. This guy was streets ahead of Zappa. Streets.
Even though he sounds just like Howlin' Wolf.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:37:31 PM »

Where's the Howlin' Wolf thread? We need one.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 04:38:53 PM »

Where's the Howlin' Wolf thread? We need one.
Mm-hmmm. Hubert Sumlin is God. f*** Clapton.

Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 04:39:58 PM »

You're thinking of the From the Cradle album? Yeah, what a piece of sh*t album. Give me Clapton with the Yardbirds, Cream or the Dominos. His solo career just don't cut it for me.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 04:41:02 PM »

When Eric stopped the heroin, he died. Layla was the last greatness from him. He sucked even before Rod sucked, and that's saying something.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 04:41:08 PM »

His Howlin' Wolf voice is one of the things that makes him great!

Strictly Personal might be my favorite, although I love Safe as Milk, too. It's hard not to say troutmaskreplica, too--"Moonlight on Vermont," "The blimp" "When Big Joan Sets Up" and many other great tracks. The early 70s stuff is cool. I really like Bat Chain Puller, too -- too bad it hasn't been commercially released in its intended version. Speaking of great unreleased albums (which we aren't, but hey, we're on the board of the mother of all what-ifs, the Beach Boys, and we referenced the unreleased VU album earlier, too), that is certainly one of the best. That title track is probably my favorite Beefheart song ever.

BAAAAAAAAAAAT CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIINNNNN!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 04:41:47 PM »

Yeah, but didn't Rod suck for most of his career?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 04:43:36 PM »

His Howlin' Wolf voice is one of the things that makes him great!

Absolutely.

Speaking of great unreleased albums (which we aren't, but hey, we're on the board of the mother of all what-ifs, the Beach Boys, and we referenced the unreleased VU album earlier, too), that is certainly one of the best.

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah, but didn't Rod suck for most of his career?

Since he quit The Faces. But the first four solos, the Jeff Beck Group albums, and all the Faces stuff rules.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 04:45:07 PM »

Not to knock anyone, but I thought Beck was the genius in the JBG. Rod was just the frontman. Man, talking about Rod Stewart just makes me sick. Talk about a guy who went for that sickening AC sound.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 04:46:17 PM »

Best album? IMO, "Mirror Man Sessions," aka the bits that woulda made up "Comes in a Plain Brown Wrapper." The ballsy grit of the first album plus SOME, but not all, of the obliqueness of the Trout Mask stuff. Still palatable, but not accessible, if that makes sense. I love the hell out of Beefheart in general -- Trout Mask kills me, Lick My Decals is mind-blowing, and I also really like Ice Cream for Crow believe it or don't.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »

Man, talking about Rod Stewart just makes me sick.

Ian's right, of course. There's no reason his modern career should make a difference -- he still has some fantastic stuff and at his prime had my third-favorite voice in rock music.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 04:47:42 PM »

Not to knock anyone, but I thought Beck was the genius in the JBG. Rod was just the frontman. Man, talking about Rod Stewart just makes me sick. Talk about a guy who went for that sickening AC sound.

The entire Beck band was genius. Rod makes me ill as well, but listen to the Every Picture Tells A Story album. He was one of the greatest interpreters of song of all time. He goes from Elvis to Dylan to Tim Hardin to the Temptaions and aces them all, then throws in three originals that stand just as tall.

Jason
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 04:49:09 PM »

I'll take my barbs off of Rod's ass for a minute and say that yes, I love Every Picture Tells A Story. Have it on vinyl. Why he didn't stick in that direction, I'll probably never know.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 04:50:28 PM »

Because the disco and punk eras and new wave came along and artists felt at the time that they had to "keep current."

For Rod, the selling out was deeper and more profound than most. He betrayed his whole schtick for money.
Jason
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 04:51:35 PM »

Maybe, but there was punk and new wave with considerable artistic sensibilities. I'm thinking of Suicide and Talking Heads.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 04:53:24 PM »

Guess I'll edit the original post and turn it into the Rod Stewart thread.  Sad

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 04:59:14 PM »

One of the best things about the boards is when a thread turns into another thread.

Jason
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 05:00:15 PM »

Well I could always form the Rod Stewart hate thread, since some of us have some axes to grind.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »

One of the best things about the boards is when a thread turns into another thread.

Generally, I agree. When it's Mr. Van Vliet, though!?

no
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 05:01:50 PM »

'Nowdays A Woman Got To Hit A Man' is the greatest title ever. 'Clear Spot' is always refreshing and a shockingly tame recording, by Beefheart's standards.
GP1138
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2005, 06:30:13 AM »

I love "Lick My Decals Off, Baby". There are some real catchy tracks on there.

"I love you, you big dummy!"
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 06:49:52 AM »

Saw him (Captain Beefheart, as readers with long attention spans may remember) live twice, during the Clear Spot tour. Unbelievably tight, loud, and a lot of fun. With a couple of exceptions (the usual suspects), everything he did is worth hearing. When Trout Mask clicks for you the first time, you'll stay in it for ages - for a while, everything else sounds flat and dead.

The first album, Safe As Milk, is a genuine lost 60's classic. Listenable, great tunes, great playing ... and the CD remaster on Buddha is just astonishing; clear and punchy, and in itself an argument for the value of CDs!

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 08:52:06 AM »

Diddy Wah Diddy has simply the most amazing, thick, GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, bass sound that's ever been put to tape. I don't know how the tape was able to hold those frequencies. The bass must have been 30 feet long with rope for strings. Amazing!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx