gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:22:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Captain Beefheart thread?  (Read 16571 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 05:41:36 AM »

'Clear Spot' is always refreshing and a shockingly tame recording, by Beefheart's standards.

Rhythmically and harmonically tame, perhaps, but stuff like "Circumstances" and "Big Eyed Beans From Venus" kicks major ass.

[Couldn't resist resurrecting this ancient topic about one of my heroes...]

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »

Where's the Howlin' Wolf thread? We need one.
Yes!! Thank you! I love the wolf. Back Door Man, Spoonful, Killing Floor, Moanin' At Midnight, Smokestack Lightning...I could go on for days.  Grin Now, if we could only get the Son House thread, and the Leadbelly thread...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »

I remember when my dad got Trout Mask Replica on cd and played some of it for me. It terrified the living sh*t out of me.  Shocked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vQN2DxSQU

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »

Testify

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »

I found somebody on YouTube who has what looks like the entire Trout Mask Replica album uploaded. I'm hearing most of this for the first time. I'm up to Moonlight In Vermont now. Should I continue, or turn back now?

Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »

The first Beefheart album I got was Shiny Beast & I still love that albums fat fruitiness, great songs and great arrangements. DOC at the Radar Station too just blew me away, the use of Mellotron and gongs is amazing, his voice isn't quite what it was but his quote about not writing songs but spells so applies to that album. Trout Mask was a breakthrough and i have been totally captivated by it, but now I don't listen to it too much. Decals has lasted a bit better, love the Marimba. Clear Spot & Safe as Milk are a Joy. Actually i find Unconditionally Guaranteed really enjoyable, he sort of made a bouncy joyous pop album, who would have thought? Ice Cream for Crow is powerful but it has got a really sad vibe over it.

An incredible, original artist, very different but in the same league as Brian Wilson.
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »

Listening to Trout Mask Replica was one of the big WTF moments of my life. Once you get it  you'll never be the same person again. My favourite though is Doc At The Radar Station, the last track on it, Making Love To A Vampire with a Monkey On My Knee, is probably the most gigantic mindf*ck recorded by anyone ever.
I really don't understand the hatred towards his mid 70s albums, they're not his finest works but not that bad either. Observatory Crest is classic.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 12:48:56 AM »

I found somebody on YouTube who has what looks like the entire Trout Mask Replica album uploaded. I'm hearing most of this for the first time. I'm up to Moonlight In Vermont now. Should I continue, or turn back now?

Continue, is my advice. There are loads more goodies to come! :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »

Listening to Trout Mask Replica was one of the big WTF moments of my life. Once you get it  you'll never be the same person again. My favourite though is Doc At The Radar Station, the last track on it, Making Love To A Vampire with a Monkey On My Knee, is probably the most gigantic mindf*ck recorded by anyone ever.
I really don't understand the hatred towards his mid 70s albums, they're not his finest works but not that bad either. Observatory Crest is classic.

"Making Love..." is certainly heavy sh*t. It's also the only track on which Beefheart uses the F-word. "Flash Gordon's Ape" has its moments too. ;=)

I shall keep those two "tragic" albums in mind, lol. I never realized that the cover of Moonbeams was painted by Don's cousin Victor Hayden (the "Mascara Snake" of Trout Mask)...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »

It's one of the 50 or so greatest albums of all time, in my opinion, and one of Captain's best. Continue, by all means, even if you don't like it. I think it's something to be experienced, at least, even if it turns out not to be your taste.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

True story:

I was in a band in Omaha NE in the early 70's called "Captain Hogfat and His Tolerance Band" and we covered several tunes off of Trout Mask Replica, including "Veteran's Day Poppy".

And, um, we covered some Frank Zappa ("Brain Police") and Wild Man Fischer.  "Merry go, merry go, merry-go-round, boop boop boop"
as well as country western and polkas.

I am not making this up.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »

True story:

I was in a band in Omaha NE in the early 70's called "Captain Hogfat and His Tolerance Band" and we covered several tunes off of Trout Mask Replica, including "Veteran's Day Poppy".

And, um, we covered some Frank Zappa ("Brain Police") and Wild Man Fischer.  "Merry go, merry go, merry-go-round, boop boop boop"

I am not making this up.

I don't care what anybody says, Merry Go Round is a good song.  Grin It kind of reminds me of a slightly less "musical" Smiley Smile song. Does that make sense?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 01:53:49 AM »

I don't care what anybody says, Merry Go Round is a good song.  Grin It kind of reminds me of a slightly less "musical" Smiley Smile song. Does that make sense?
Clearly a tough one to answer.

Still, onward and upward----we can't keep the Captain's fans waiting, can we? This is "Owed T' Alex".

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01:44 PM »

True story:

I am not making this up.

Very late reply but yes I love Merry Go Round. Checked out the rest of Fischer's debut album through and it was crap.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 02:54:17 PM »

Kandy Korn from Mirror Man Sessions kicks ass.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Dead Parrot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 10:16:13 PM »

I know it's virtually a crime to say, but I never thought Trout Mask Replica was particularly good. On the other hand there's Lick My Decals Off Baby. Now that's a great CB album.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:21 AM »

It's certainly the album I grab first when I feel like a Beefheart fix! It's the marimba, I think.

Woeeeeeee is uh me bop!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »

Soooo, I have all the Captain's albums now bar the two 1974 Virgin records. Do I get them or not? I've read much bad things about them, the most positive remarks I've read about them is that 'they're not that bad really', which is rather faint praise.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58:53 AM »

Trout Mask was pretty eye-opening to me -- most of his music was.  Rhythmically askew.  It don't matter what you play -- just play it when it counts.  Everything else is up to you.

Safe As Milk, one of the greatest debuts of all time, I listen to fairly often.  All the songs are so unbelievably good.  I wish there was more stuff like this.

The Budda compilation The Mirror Man Sessions is a great place for people to start.  It might be better than what eventually ended up as the second album -- Strictly Personal.  It would have made an incredible album in 1968.

Doc At The Radar Station never really clicked with me.  While I can see the full-fury of the band and the Captain, the album is so negative, nasty and bitter.

I prefer Bat Chain Puller (and it's released version Shiny Beast) more.  Delightfully askew.

Apes-Ma?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:27:44 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »

This is the first Beefheart track I ever heard, as played at the close of 1967 by the late John Peel on his celebrated Sunday show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WifCzN8BNF4

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 02:19:35 AM »

To hopefully resolve an issue raised in the PSF Shoutbox (assuming the link works):

https://books.google.nl/books?id=KSyUmDS4GicC&lpg=PT28&ots=k0tzJiTmqg&dq=%22Whizzer%22%20%22beef%20heart%22&pg=PT28#v=onepage&q=%22Whizzer%22%20%22beef%20heart%22&f=false

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 04:16:04 AM »

"Come on down t’ the big dig
Singin’ the Smithsonian Institute blues"

https://youtu.be/BuJErWbzP1Y

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »

Hey John,  You sure like bumpin' this cat.  I've tried over the years to get into his bands, but it just never worked.  I even saw them live in July 1970 at the Atlanta Pop Festival.  At that time I didn't know who they were, and had not heard any of the albums.  It was in the afternoon.  I was about three-hundred yards from the stage, still moving about, eating and stuff Wink.  I didn't get to my fixed area for the night 'til about 5pm, always as close to the stage as possible.  So I wasn't paying that much attention.  I thought it sounded fairly noisy to be honest.  In a nicer way, you might call it wailing.  Lots of harp and gruff singing.

After I became an xtc fan, I tried again.  Andy said that he had been very influential, but I couldn't hear that.  So many people talk highly of his music, I tried one last time a few years ago.  Bought Safe As Milk.  I think it's good for what it is.  I only listened to it a few times.  It's just not going to grow on me.  I do like Tom Waits very very much (who can get pretty noisy himself).  That's about as close to what he sounds like as I can get.  So it's not the gruff vocals.  It's the songs.

You and the captain are probably going to jump all over me to listen again.  Maybe.  I did play your youtube links.  They work in America!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

Nah, these days I don't try to change people's minds very often. I'm happy to give recommendations or explain what I like about things, but I'm not too bothered by people disagreeing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »

Hey John,  You sure like bumpin' this cat.  I've tried over the years to get into his bands, but it just never worked.  I even saw them live in July 1970 at the Atlanta Pop Festival.  At that time I didn't know who they were, and had not heard any of the albums.  It was in the afternoon.  I was about three-hundred yards from the stage, still moving about, eating and stuff Wink.  I didn't get to my fixed area for the night 'til about 5pm, always as close to the stage as possible.  So I wasn't paying that much attention.  I thought it sounded fairly noisy to be honest.  In a nicer way, you might call it wailing.  Lots of harp and gruff singing.

After I became an xtc fan, I tried again.  Andy said that he had been very influential, but I couldn't hear that.  So many people talk highly of his music, I tried one last time a few years ago.  Bought Safe As Milk.  I think it's good for what it is.  I only listened to it a few times.  It's just not going to grow on me.  I do like Tom Waits very very much (who can get pretty noisy himself).  That's about as close to what he sounds like as I can get.  So it's not the gruff vocals.  It's the songs.

You and the captain are probably going to jump all over me to listen again.  Maybe.  I did play your youtube links.  They work in America!

Hi cap'n. I was under the impression that you were a fan (hence your username). No problem of course----as you say in your other post, to each their own.   

I looked for your Atlanta date for a possible set list and according to all reports Beefheart's performance was cancelled. Is that possible?

I saw him twice, first in the Albert Hall (London) in '72 with the Spotlight Kid lineup----definitely my all-time favourite concert. The next one was in Amsterdam in '75 or '76 when he was regrouping after that Di Martino business, and he was just feeling his way forward again. And he was pissed, I regret to say. But that London concert----goodness gracious...

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx