gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:06:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBs Reunion page on Facebook  (Read 4856 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »

Apols if this has been posted before but Facebookser might like to have a look-see at:

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105225569532641&v=wall&ref=ts

which is titled "The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary ReUnion Tour".

Interesting, under "Events", the following message appears:

"The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary ReUnion Tour does not have any forthcoming events."

which seems kinda sad...

However, Al Jardine himself (or someone posing as him) is listed as a member of the group. Assuming it's him, and given his statement to Rolling Stone about his hopes for a reunion, you can't deny that Al's fighting that corner and is seemingly happy to let bygones be bygones.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:18:56 AM »

Apols if this has been posted before but Facebookser might like to have a look-see at:

"The Beach Boys 50th Anniversary ReUnion Tour does not have any forthcoming events."

which seems kinda sad...

However, Al Jardine himself (or someone posing as him) is listed as a member of the group. Assuming it's him, and given his statement to Rolling Stone about his hopes for a reunion, you can't deny that Al's fighting that corner and is seemingly happy to let bygones be bygones.

well sure. there's no downside for Al in a reunion

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »

which seems kinda sad...

well sure. there's no downside for Al in a reunion

'cept for having to work with the Lovester!

“We live in divisive times.”
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »

My immediate impression when i saw this on facebook is that the person who put it together is limited in their understanding of the Beach Boys genesis and rise to fame because they have left David Marks name out of their proposed "reunion". it kind of shocks me to see that these days because so many fans (including me) have turned the corner regarding David, and know that he is arguably as much an original Beach Boy as Al or Bruce...and that he was one fifth (or 1/6) of the group that became a national phenomenon and recorded all those surfing and car songs. Hope if this thing is serious that the people  driving it get their S**T together.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »

I only believe in reunion information when the five Beach Boys will announce it, or posting in their official websites.
Don't believe in Facebook, even in 2010 interviews by Al, Mike...
And the people who exclused David from this Facebook page: it's a crazy guy! And it's a s***er, too. Excluiding Dave is a big mistake.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »

Funny thing is that David is one of his Facebook friends.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »

My immediate impression when i saw this on facebook is that the person who put it together is limited in their understanding of the Beach Boys genesis and rise to fame because they have left David Marks name out of their proposed "reunion". it kind of shocks me to see that these days because so many fans (including me) have turned the corner regarding David, and know that he is arguably as much an original Beach Boy as Al or Bruce...and that he was one fifth (or 1/6) of the group that became a national phenomenon and recorded all those surfing and car songs. Hope if this thing is serious that the people  driving it get their S**T together.

They also left off Glen Campbell...oh, the horror of it all!!!!!!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 06:37:17 AM »

Awesoman trying to be ironic?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »

Ironic, ain't it.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »

With all due respect to the surviving Beach Boys, I think the Beach Boys died in 1983 when Dennis passed, and any reunion would be disrespectful to the Wilson Brothers memory. I love Beach Boy music, but ......

If it runs amuck, call the duck
oldsurferdude
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »

With all due respect to the surviving Beach Boys, I think the Beach Boys died in 1983 when Dennis passed, and any reunion would be disrespectful to the Wilson Brothers memory. I love Beach Boy music, but ......
High Five
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

Like! Grin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »

Well, a reunion is a lot more legitimate that what we have out there now, the Mike and Bruce show.

Peter, I think a reunion is not, in the end,  a commercial/creative enterprise, but a celebration of the legacy and what was. (and yes too, a final commercial shot in the arm to the catalog).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 02:42:57 PM »

More like sarcastic.  Cool

SG7
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 08:00:28 PM »

Peter, totally agree. The legacy is already firm in place. The Greek drama of rock and roll bands. What can get better than that?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »

For sarcasm to work, responders must grasp the speaker's intentions in the context of the situation, which calls for sophisticated social thinking. I think this attempt falls slightly short with Glen Campbell never being an official Beach Boy and all. Pete Best anyone?  Angry
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »

Apparently, not even Brian and Carl believed the Beach Boys died with Dennis. Shoot, Carl's Estate doesn't even believe it ended with Carl, either. With their consent, along with Brian, they have  allowed Mike and Bruce to continue on 12 years hence. The band has always had it right; the music is The Beach Boys, not the individuals in The Beach Boys.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »

Apparently, not even Brian and Carl believed the Beach Boys died with Dennis. Shoot, Carl's Estate doesn't even believe it ended with Carl, either. With their consent, along with Brian, they have  allowed Mike and Bruce to continue on 12 years hence. The band has always had it right; the music is The Beach Boys, not the individuals in The Beach Boys.
Not so fast Doc. If I want to hear BB music live, I don't pay money to see a tribute band with one random member who sang lead on some early songs. I go to see the man who WROTE and conceived the music from scratch. That's the guy I want to see-not some guy who just sang with the group. And, yes, for most hardcore fans, the individuals are as or more important as the music-wouldn't be much to talk about around here if that weren't true. If Carl or Dennis were alive and touring, I'd go see them as well. But Myke and Bruce?? Don't think so.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »

Why does everything always come back to "the Mike and Bruce show"? I've never believed it to be The Beach Boys either myself, but all the moaning and groaning around here gets old quick.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »

Cut me a break, "random member...". I think you better check the Boys' discography again. Hey, I've only seen Mike & Bruce once since Carl passed away, and it took me until 2006 to go see them and I haven't seen them since. Also, we the hardcore fans are a very small majority that go to see the The Beach Boys in concert. Except for Mike and maybe Brian, I doubt whether the average fan could even name the band members. As much as I admire Dennis, he was never a deal breaker for me to go see them.  For me, it was Carl. He was so much a part of the show that without his voice it just has not been the same for me. But I stand by what I said earlier. As long as Brian, Al, Mike, and Carl's estate give their consent, the Beach Boys are not dead, and they do not think they are dead either.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:23:27 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »

Cut me a break, "random member...". I think you better check the Boys' discography again. Hey, I've only seen Mike & Bruce once since Carl passed away, and it took me until 2006 to go see them and I haven't seen them since. Also, we the hardcore fans are a very small majority that go to see the The Beach Boys in concert. Except for Mike and maybe Brian, I doubt whether the average fan could even name the band members. As much as I admire Dennis, he was never a deal breaker for me to go see them.  For me, it was Carl. He was so much a part of the show that without his voice it just has not been the same for me. But I stand by what I said earlier. As long as Brian, Al, Mike, and Carl's estate give their consent, the Beach Boys are not dead, and they do not think they are dead either.
Of course they don't-there's no money in that, is there? Estates and licenses condone the use of the name and that is where it ends. Even the press lists Brian and Al EX-Beach Boys-and Myke is too only you and him don't have it figured out yet, but that's fine cause ignorence is pure bliss isn't it. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

For sarcasm to work, responders must grasp the speaker's intentions in the context of the situation, which calls for sophisticated social thinking. I think this attempt falls slightly short with Glen Campbell never being an official Beach Boy and all. Pete Best anyone?  Angry

Touché!

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »

Heres my take:

• I would like to see the guys (Brian, Mike, Bruce and Al) get back together at least for one show. And hopefully the record at least one or two new/unreleased B. Wilson songs.
  • This whole David Marks thing, whatever. Yes, I respect that he played on those early songs, but whatever, I don't really even care all that much about the early surf and car stuff. I care about the records released from like '65 til now. So Marks, take him or leave him. Don't care. Which brings me to my next point.
  • I really hope they invite Blondie to play. He was the lead voice on a great, popular song of theirs, and I think would impress the public if he played with the guys, and got some more attention.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:06:19 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 08:30:55 PM »

Dave Marks belongs in a reunion. No brainer. He was an integral part of the band during their early "Beach Boys" years, played on some hit records, and should definitely not be left out. Plus, he's a very good guitar player and would contribute nicely to a reunion.

If there's a reunion, ALL of the original Beach Boys still alive and who played and recorded together should be on the same stage together.

And if Blondie's a part of it, so should Ricky be a part of it. Rick was a member of the band longer than Blondie was. 'Course so was Carter and Hinsche......but you guys should have seen Ricky come out on stage a few years ago during a Brian/Al concert. Brian and Al BOTH acknowledged him with big smiles and you could tell Ricky has not been forgotten after all these years.

And while we're at it, The Beach Boys (especially the live band) ended when Carl died. Yeah, Dennis was a big part of the band and I missed the hell out of him at concerts, even when he didn't show up to shows a couple of years before he checked out. But when Carl died, that was the real end for me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:36:21 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:43 PM »

Dave Marks belongs in a reunion. No brainer. He was an integral part of the band during their early "Beach Boys" years, played on some hit records, and should definitely not be left out. Plus, he's a very good guitar player and would contibute nicely to a reunion.

If there's a reunion, ALL of the original Beach Boys still alive and who played and recorded together should be on the same stage together.

And if Blondie's a part of it, so should Ricky be a part of it. Rick was a member of the band longer than Blondie was. 'Course so was Carter and Hinsche......but you guys should have seen Ricky come out on stage a few years ago during a Brian/Al concert. Brian and Al BOTH acknowledged him with big smiles and you could tell Ricky was not been forgotten after all these years.

And while we're at it, The Beach Boys (especially the live band) ended when Carl died. Yeah, Dennis was a big part of the band and I missed the hell out of him at concerts, even when he didn't show up to shows a couple of years before he checked out. But when Carl died, that was the real end for me.

Good points all. I agree that all original members should be there, but to clarify, Carter abnd Hinsche, tho long tome players, were never officially members of the BBs, were they?   
 The other point: everyone has their own opinion on when the Beach Boys ended. Some say with Dennis, some with Carl; some say they haven't  ended; Since they're just personal opinions, I feel they're all valid. There won't be any convincing arguments made for those that believe one over the other. Eh? 

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx