gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:01:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best radio ad ever?  (Read 13280 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »

So............I'm sure not all of us have all of the above promos.  Are you gonna offer Mp3 downloads for these, Bgas?  Or are we limited to looking at pictures of them?

Where's the guy who started this thread?  What's his favorite? There's more ads out there other than the "Carl & The Passions" promo.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:59:01 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:46 AM »

So............I'm sure not all of us have all of the above promos.  Are you gonna offer Mp3 downloads for these, Bgas?  Or are we limited to looking at pictures of them?

Where's the guy who started this thread?  What's his favorite? There's more ads out there other than the "Carl & The Passions" promo.

I believe that's what I did just above you; however, I have no idea how to get the ads into the Mp3 format, or if that's something I have the capability to do.
tell me how, and I'll try.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 09:26:14 AM »

Well, you gotta come up with a turntable first.  I mean, uh............you know.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »

Well, you gotta come up with a turntable first.  I mean, uh............you know.

I've got a couple of turntables, that I can plug into my stereo, but where do I proceed from there?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »

I've got a couple of turntables, that I can plug into my stereo, but where do I proceed from there?
Connect a cord from the headphone output on the stereo to the mic input on the computer.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »

Well, you gotta come up with a turntable first.  I mean, uh............you know.

Connect a cord from the headphone output on the stereo to the mic input on the computer.

Thanxx,that gets me part way.  What do I do from there?
Oh, and I almost hate to ask this, but is my computer mic input stereo? I have to get a stereo patch cord?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:07:57 PM by bgas » Logged

rogerlancelot
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 02:57:10 AM »

Well, you gotta come up with a turntable first.  I mean, uh............you know.

Thanxx,that gets me part way.  What do I do from there?
Oh, and I almost hate to ask this, but is my computer mic input stereo? I have to get a stereo patch cord?

You need stereo RCA to stereo 1/4" into line-in on your computer. PM me and I may be able to assist. Very happily.  Grin
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »

How bizarre...  I wonder; could Mike Love have approved this ad?  Almost thought that was Carl speaking at first, too.

I believe that the first half IS Carl! It has to be. And then a different person at the end?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »

How bizarre...  I wonder; could Mike Love have approved this ad?  Almost thought that was Carl speaking at first, too.

I believe that the first half IS Carl! It has to be. And then a different person at the end?

Definitely not Carl.  I'd say it's the same VO guy throughout.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 07:12:06 AM »

Definitely not Carl.  I'd say it's the same VO guy throughout.

Could somebody with connections talk to Billy Hinche, or somebody that might know for sure?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »

Just a little update: 
Spent all day working on my turntable and got it to work. Downloaded some form of Audacity, and have to figure that out, and then figure how to make it work so ya'll can have MP3's. 
Listened to The Sunflower EP. the three bands are all 60 seconds each, but they play different song bits and the last one has more narration.
The Beach Boys In concert EP is just backing tracks, snippets of studio tracks, no live material. GV, SDT, Marcella, SU, WIBN, SJB, in that order, I think.  (Wish I had the the copy that was provided)
But I'm trying to get it together, so, Mikie Hold Yer breath!

rogerlancelot
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »

Just a little update: 
Spent all day working on my turntable and got it to work. Downloaded some form of Audacity, and have to figure that out, and then figure how to make it work so ya'll can have MP3's. 
Listened to The Sunflower EP. the three bands are all 60 seconds each, but they play different song bits and the last one has more narration.
The Beach Boys In concert EP is just backing tracks, snippets of studio tracks, no live material. GV, SDT, Marcella, SU, WIBN, SJB, in that order, I think.  (Wish I had the the copy that was provided)
But I'm trying to get it together, so, Mikie Hold Yer breath!

Thank you so much for your effort. We are all looking forward to these!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »

yeah. i may have to call you, I'm getting zip.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »

yeah. i may have to call you, I'm getting zip.

You still have my #?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »

Always sounded like Al to me...as odd as that may seem.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »

...could Mike Love have approved this ad?

I think Mike gets a bum rap. Just because he was opposed to Van Dyke's lyrics doesn't mean that he was against marijuana or the burgeoning hippie culture, or even acid for that matter. Let's face it - Van Dyke's lyrics are very esoteric, and perhaps they weren't appropriate for the Beach Boys. If it wasn't for the harmonies, it would be easy to mistake most of the Smile as being the product of an entirely different band. Fact is, Mike wrote the psychedelically-tinged lyrics of "Good Vibrations", and it was a smash hit. Van Dyke wrote the lyrics to "Heroes and Villains" and it was a dud by the Beach Boy's standards.  So, was Mike right? Do you think "Surf's Up" could've been a hit on the radio? It certainly wasn't when the BBs released as single in the early 70s. By '67, the rock crowd was grooving to bands like The Doors, Big Brother and the Holding Company, the psychedelic Beatles, the Stones, and stuff like that. Does Van Dyke fit in that environment? Was Mike wrong in assuming that Van Dyke didn't?

I love Smile, but Mike's right - it's not that commercial. The BBs releasing Smile would've been like US Magazine (a celebrity rag) carrying articles written by James Joyce. No one would deny that Joyce was a great writer. But they would point out that US Magazine was the wrong environment to put it in, just as the BBs brand name would've been the wrong environment for Smile.

Remember, Mike wrote most of the lyrics to songs like "She's Goin' Bald". He knew what was up, that psychedelic music was in. He smoked pot and probably took acid (some claim he did). He went with the Beatles to India. And he knew that The Beatles would never have released lyrics like the ones Van Dyke wrote. Sure, some of John's lyrics had abstract concepts, but the references and the words he used were very accessible. He wasn't obliquely quoting mid-19th century folklore and stuff like that.

So what it comes down to is that Brian wanted to change the course of music with his supreme artistry, while Mike wanted to ride the same wave bands like The Beatles were riding, doing what was current and popular. Now, you can all act like you would've been iconoclastic 30 some odd years after the fact, but I think at the time most of you would have sided with someone like Mike. I don't see a radical streak in most people here.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »

I think Mike would have thought the ad was funny.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 07:30:43 AM »

The continuing saga of why I can't play the darn rekkids to mp3s: 
we have 3 turntables here;
I tried fixing my old sony linear tracking one fiirst. thougt I had it working and then it completely shot craps; maybe I'll take it to the repair store today, so they can tell me to trash it.
we have two Technics servo whatever tables here. Both had the drive belts melted to the platters. so I ordered new ones, got them yesterday, and put them on today. It would seem that all the "servo" controls have leached out, or whatever they do. At 45 Mike sounds like he's at 78, at 33 he's got this really great fast and slow warble, but it's not really conducive to recording. 
 So, if I have to buy a used table, what has the least chance of being a crapper?
If I find the $$ to break down and buy a new one, what's the least expensive/most reliable?   
 Or if someone has one of those $5000 tables they really don't need anymore, send it my way.... 
Sorry to bore those of you not into hearing the records I have ( or those who really just don't care)

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:16 AM »

How did Mike get to go to the India trip in the first place? I always get the feeling that he just 'invited himself' along.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »

I care bgas... too bad you're not very fortunate with your equipment till now. Please keep us updated!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »

So, if I have to buy a used table, what has the least chance of being a crapper?

Get a direct drive Technics with a strobe to indicate perfect pitch.  Many are available used, and the classic Technics SL 1200 is still available new.

If a self identified "audiophile" tries to tell you that a belt drive turntable is superior to any of the direct drive Technics tables listed above, please politely advise said "audiophile" that he/she is full of s**t, then invite him/her to a controlled double blind listening test.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:35:59 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »

Or you can always just go for one of those new turntables with a usb output.  I have one and, though I'm sure it doesn't qualify as "audiophile quality" it works just fine.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »

Fussin and fumin, I'm slowly getting some recordings. these all came off records, so there may be some pops, etc.
Maybe the links will work for you, maybe you'll even like some of them: 

Sunflower Promo EP:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oyox8l

Save The Children spot( Mike)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p1syry

Brian Introduces Songs from BBs Concert & Hollyridge Strings( most of the music cut out) ( Capitol promo EP)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fp2063

The Blossoms, Things Are Changing   
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ul2a5

Seventy-Two Vote  ( Dennis, Carl, Ricky, Mike Al)  WB promo EP
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0f3p5r

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »

Thanks for sharing these, bgas.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »

yes, thank you

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx