gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 09:53:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin’ w/ Dennis on lead?  (Read 12050 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »

I seem to recall once seeing a brief clip of the BBs performing Good Timin’ live on some TV show around ‘79/80 with Dennis on lead vocals. This may have been on youtube, or in a documentary or something.

Did I hallucinate this, or did this performance actually happen?

I can’t seem to find any such clip on youtube or any reference to it anywhere.
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »

Yes..I have seen it too!! Shocked Shocked
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »

I don't think you saw it, but you did hear it on a bootleg. Its audio of the BB's at Radio City Music Hall in '79 when Dennis, for an unknown reason sang lead on "Good Timin'"...he says "because Carl chickened out." If you can produce video of that show or any of Dennis singing that song I'll be happy to be proved wrong...but I doubt that's gonna happen. The only known video of Dennis singing lead from that year would be  his performance of "Angel Come Home" on the Midnight Special TV show.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

I have a live show somewhere from early 1979 (I think New York) where Dennis sang lead on Good Timin'.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:26:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »

Yes, Radio City Music Hall.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:32:46 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »

Isn't that the one where Audree is in the audience?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »

Dennis sang it on The Midnight Special. I haven't seen it, but I would assume that the film still exists. I've heard the audio from it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:44:47 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »

I've seen one where Mike sings the lead, also. Also seen footage where Brian sings the lead.

I could've sworn though I've actually SEEN footage of Dennis singing it, but might be my mind playing tricks on me. Which one sang lead for the Easter Seals telethon in '79, again? Mike, wasn't it?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »

I've seen one where Mike sings the lead, also. 
I REALLY want to see that.  Grin

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »

Dennis sang it on The Midnight Special. I haven't seen it, but I would assume that the film still exists. I've heard the audio from it.
They didn't perform it on the Midnight Special, or at least it didn't air...the songs that did air in the orig. 1979 MS episode are Good Vibrations, Here Comes The Night, Surfin USA, Angel Come Home, Lady Lynda and R&R Music..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:43:07 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »

They didn't perform it on the Midnight Special, or at least it didn't air...the songs that did air in the orig. 1979 MS episode are Good Vibrations, Here Comes The Night, Surfin USA, Angel Come Home, Lady Lynda and R&R Music..
What show was it then? Dennis screwed up the words horribly. Maybe it was from Midnight Special, but it didn't air and the track somehow got bootlegged.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:15 PM »

I could've sworn that the clip I saw was from Midnight Special as well.

Is it possible it was an unaired song that leaked out, or maybe they played Midnight Special a 2nd time that year?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »

Speaking of screwing up the words...have a look on youtube for Carl doing "Good Timin'" at the July 4, 1980 concert blowing the first verse and making it slightly risque ("All us people...sharing each other"), and watch for his priceless grimace a fraction of a second later when he realizes it.

Another priceless Carl reaction is when he and Brian are being interviewed for Mark Goodman for LiveAid...Brian starts off on a tangent and Carl is trying all kinds of maneuvers to keep from bursting out laughing sitting next to Brian.

Interesting guy!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »

Looks like they took it down...rats.  The Live Aid interview is still up though.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 07:25:59 PM »

Everyone above that "saw" the clip of Dennis singing Good Timin' on Midnight Special somehow won't ever be able to produce the actual footage...because it does not exist. He did sing Angel Come Home on that show. There is an audio clip of him singing Good Timin', which i believe is from Radio City Music Hall. Round and round we go.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »

Looks like they took it down...rats.  The Live Aid interview is still up though.
And it's funny. Always seems like Carl doesn't know whether to laugh or cry when Brian speaks, not just there but in most interviews.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »

Everyone above that "saw" the clip of Dennis singing Good Timin' on Midnight Special somehow won't ever be able to produce the actual footage...because it does not exist. He did sing Angel Come Home on that show. There is an audio clip of him singing Good Timin', which i believe is from Radio City Music Hall. Round and round we go.
All I know is that the version I heard was live, and it was soundboard, It was not Radio City Music Hall. Unless there was a second show at the same venue that was recorded.

Edit: Let me try to be more specific. I have heard two versions of Good Timin' with Dennis singing lead. One was an audience recording, and the other was a soundboard. On one version Dennis screws up the words. On the other one he doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:45:30 PM by Jay » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 08:47:03 PM »

Midnight Special – April 27, 1979

This is a taping session for the TV show. At the beginning of the song Dennis says, “Hi Mom”. Then Al says, “He’s serious, she’s really out there. Audree’s out there – she is!” Dennis sings lead on "Good Timin’" then says, “Carl & Brian wrote that song. Carl was suppose to sing it but……he chickened out folks”.

Beach Boys Concerts - Radio City Music Hall - March 1-4, 1979

Dennis sang lead on "Good Timin'" during these shows. Bootleg recordings exist of the March 1 and March 3 shows.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:13:43 PM by Mikie » Logged

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

Songs that aired on the BB's ONLY performance on the Midnight Special in 1979...Good Vibrations, Here Comes The Night, Surfin USA, Angel Come Home, Lady Lynda and R&R Music. If Good Timin' was performed it was either in rehearsal, soundcheck, or was cut from the orig. TV airing. No video has ever surfaced of Dennis singing Good Timin'. Thanks.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »

No video has ever surfaced of Dennis singing Good Timin'.

You said that already.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 09:52:34 PM »

Roll Eyes

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »

You said that already.
Double track
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »

Over-dubbed.

I'm listening right now to the taping/rehearsal/soundcheck/outtake of "Good Timin'" for the 4/27/79 Midnight Special show. Dennis is croaking out the lead vocal.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »

Over-dubbed.
  Grin

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 01:44:05 AM »

Midnight Special – April 27, 1979

This is a taping session for the TV show. At the beginning of the song Dennis says, “Hi Mom”. Then Al says, “He’s serious, she’s really out there. Audree’s out there – she is!” Dennis sings lead on "Good Timin’" then says, “Carl & Brian wrote that song. Carl was suppose to sing it but……he chickened out folks”.

Beach Boys Concerts - Radio City Music Hall - March 1-4, 1979

Dennis sang lead on "Good Timin'" during these shows. Bootleg recordings exist of the March 1 and March 3 shows.

I think I can confirm this, because I can remember hearing this as well...it may have been on a bootleg or when I was Alan Boyd's, I do not remember.  But I do remember hearing Dennis sing "Good Timin'" and I know it was from the Midnight Special taping because there's another part where Carl asks Dennis if he wants to do a bumper (all the other band members had done one) and Dennis says something like, "nah."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx