gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:16:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's shouty vocals  (Read 21428 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »

The "what's in her head" part on "He Come Down" doesn't sound to me like early '70s or late '70s Brian

Uhhh...that would be on "Marcella", and Dennis never sang in that range in the harmonies. I have confirmation that the low part in "He Come Down" is Brian, also.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:48 AM »

The "what's in her head" part on "He Come Down" doesn't sound to me like early '70s or late '70s Brian

Uhhh...that would be on "Marcella", and Dennis never sang in that range in the harmonies. I have confirmation that the low part in "He Come Down" is Brian, also.

Sorry about that. I did mean "Marcella." And I never thought it actually was Dennis - just that it sounded a little bit like him. It just doesn't sound like Brian to me. What's the source for the "He Come Down" low part? That one is less surprising to me because it's somewhat similar to his low vocals on the Spring album.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »

Mikie you're not getting old, but you would look better in a Van Dyke, if she'd let you.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »

Bgas, whosat in your avatar?  Your parents?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 03:28:45 PM »

Bgas, whosat in your avatar?  Your parents?

dennis and Jodi

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2010, 12:35:29 AM »

For those doubting it's Brian on "Marcella", here's part of "Funky Pretty", him singing "Funky Pretty Gone" sounding exactly the same.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3gr53m

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:16 AM »

I had a clip like this about a year ago, but lost it during a computer crash. I didn't think I'd hear it again. Thanks!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:18:58 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »

About "Don't You Just Know It":

Yes, some of the vocal intonations are reminiscent of Brian's voice during the Sunflower era, especially on background vocals, but can anyone seriously claim to have heard a BW lead vocal anywhere near this bad during that period?

Although Jan & Dean sites say this recording is from 1973, I'm not doubting that it could have been recorded in 1970. 

Actually, it probably was recorded in 1972.

In his article, "The Road Back From Dead Man's Curve," in the Sept. 12, 1974, issue of Rolling Stone, Paul Morantz wrote:

"Jan calls himself 'One Jan One' to show that he is singing alone now. Ode Records has just released Tinsel Towntwo years after it was recorded. Jan recorded another single about the same time – a remake of an old hit, Don’t You Just Know It, with Brian Wilson."  [emphasis mine]
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »

I wish every Beach Boys song had a shouty-vocal counterpart!

I think every Beach Boys song should alternate verses between non shouty and shouty!!
The Pixies Present SMiLE

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »

The Jesus Lizard Presents Pet Sounds
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »

I posted about this a long time ago, but I can recall hearing two different versions of the Jan Berry duet, the finished version (which I think is cool) and a version with a less polished vocal from Brian (or perhaps it was just a single track, I really don't remember...my impression was it was a different take).  Point being, on the less polished version, it was really obvious Brian was having trouble crossing over into falsetto and hitting some of the high notes.  A lot of stabs at certain notes and squirrelly vocal transitions.  It sounded like he was really struggling, or at the very least had a bad cold or something. 

Jan Berry started recording "Don't You Just Know It" in early 1966 before his accident. The '66 instrumental sessions with the Wrecking Crew are in the vaults.

So it's fitting — in the wake of Carnival of Sound — that Jan finished "Don't You Just Know It" with Brian Wilson in the early '70s. Jan and Brian were hanging out and doing drugs together during that era.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2010, 11:48:12 PM »

For those doubting it's Brian on "Marcella", here's part of "Funky Pretty", him singing "Funky Pretty Gone" sounding exactly the same.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3gr53m

Mr. Castillo -

Help me out here  ...  OK, so it's BW, but why does this sound totally like Mike?  I honestly can hear why it could be BW, but if so, he's doin' a big time ML imitation.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:58:24 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2010, 01:02:49 AM »

That's just how he sounded by then. Check out his vocals on the Spring album...he sounds EXACTLY the same. Dunno why...maybe all the coke made him sound more nasal Huh

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2010, 01:43:48 AM »

It's extremely possible.  Coke does a number on your nasal passages, or so I am told.  I can tell you from first hand experiences messing with your nose/sinuses will mess with your voice.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:55 AM »

Jan Berry started recording "Don't You Just Know It" in early 1966 before his accident. The '66 instrumental sessions with the Wrecking Crew are in the vaults.

Wow! That long ago? So, if Jan hadn't been in the accident, it would have been a Jan & Dean track. Presumably, Brian's singing the parts Dean originally would have handled?

So it's fitting — in the wake of Carnival of Sound — that Jan finished "Don't You Just Know It" with Brian Wilson in the early '70s.

Mark, is there any way you can be more precise as to when in the early '70s? Since it's the quality of Brian's vocal that we're discussing here, an approximate date for that vocal session would be very helpful.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »

That's just how he sounded by then. Check out his vocals on the Spring album...he sounds EXACTLY the same. Dunno why...maybe all the coke made him sound more nasal Huh

Good point.  His voice here also sounds a lot like his speaking voice as I recall hearing it when he was on the radio in LA promoting the Spring album.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

The point was so good it had to be posted twice.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »

The point was so good it had to be posted twice.

Yeah, and while you were writing I tried to delete the second post, but couldn't figure out how to!  I ended up changing the second duplicate post to a "-".

Happened when I was pressing the browser back button.  Saw the message again and it appeared I hadn't posted it yet, so I hit 'post' again.

Is it possible to delete posts?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2010, 12:34:18 PM »

It's happened to me in the past too - I've tried to post something, the connection 'timed out' and when I retried it duplicated the post.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

Only moderators can remove posts as far as I know. Unless there's a "Delete" button shown at your own posts.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »

I deleted it.

That will be $3.50.

^_^

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »

I deleted it.

That will be $3.50.

^_^

Thanks so much for saving me the intense embarrassment of having a post in the archives that was initially a duplicate, but then changed to a simple hyphen.  Please advise me where to send the money.  Or, alternatively, I'll be happy to enjoy a Jack Daniel's on the rocks in your honor.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx